Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: First WDW trip advice!

First WDW trip advice!

So at almost 30 years old I am finally making my first trip from socal and Disneyland to WDW! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip around running the wine and dine 1/2 marathon for our coast to coast challenge completion! We will be getting in Wednesday Nov. 5th at 11AM and leaving Wednesday Nov. 12th at noon. The 1/2 marathon is Saturday november 8th. We are not staying on property to save money and renting a car to get us to and from the resort. We also plan on hitting up a grocery store so we aren't eating at the resort for every meal also to save money. We are both Premium pass holders at DLR and plan on up grading prior to our trip to premier passes. I have read some stuff about the FP+ system but am not completely sure how to navigate it. Any tips would be much appreciated! Also general tips on must ride/must eat at places would be great. We are planning on doing at least a couple nice dinners while we are there especially since it is the food and wine festival! Thanks in advance!!

2. # ADS

Read the trip reports! I found them to be very helpful for tips and tricks.
    Also, research those maps. Going to WDW, especially when used to DLR, can be a little overwhelming. Everything is bigger and farther than you expect. Also, it feels similar but like a dream version of DL where things are familiar but not how you remember.

A couple of quick thoughts/tips:

1) Virtually nothing is near anything in WDW. Even less is near anything off-site. WDW is same size as the land area of San Francisco.
    2) Nothing is identical, even if it has the same name. You'll like some things better at DL, some at WDW.
    3) You can't do everything. To quote someone on this board, "A week is enough time to figure out what you want to do on your next trip."*

I haven't tried the new FP+ system so I can't answer that.

*Doing everything in WDW in one week is on my bucket list. (I'd have to at least get SCUBA certified and learn to play golf first. Learning to play golf is also on that list.) I'm not yet sure it's even logistically possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohthatjeff View Post
    A couple of quick thoughts/tips:

1) Virtually nothing is near anything in WDW. Even less is near anything off-site. WDW is same size as the land area of San Francisco.
    2) Nothing is identical, even if it has the same name. You'll like some things better at DL, some at WDW.
    3) You can't do everything. To quote someone on this board, "A week is enough time to figure out what you want to do on your next trip."*

I haven't tried the new FP+ system so I can't answer that.

*Doing everything in WDW in one week is on my bucket list. (I'd have to at least get SCUBA certified and learn to play golf first. Learning to play golf is also on that list.) I'm not yet sure it's even logistically possible.
    I think a few things are identical minus the queue. Star Tours, Toy Story, Soarin - all skippable if you go to DL often. Others are similar but a not to miss like Haunted Mansion and others are debatable depending on time/interest: ToT, PotC.

Very good advice so far. I second the reading of trip reports, I would even read some of the older ones that way you can get a feel for what people are saying when they talk about something that has changed. I love reading them.

I know you are trying to save money, but I would stay onsite if at all possible. Even the closest off site hotel is still a bit away from the parks. The value resorts are really a good option, when staying onsite you get free parking and access to the EMH which you won't get if you are staying somewhere else.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lilo143stitch View Post
    I have read some stuff about the FP+ system but am not completely sure how to navigate it. Any tips would be much appreciated!
    For starters, put the My Disney Experience (MDE) App on your iphone or smartphone. This'll make managing your FP+ selections easier although it won't seem so at first.

Any tips would be much appreciated! Also general tips on must ride/must eat at places would be great.
    If you're doing counter service (in Animal Kingdom) Flame Tree BBQ is outstanding; in MK Columbia Habour House was a nice surprise, while most of our party found Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe overrated but personally I found the rotisserie chicken/green beans/mashed potatoes was outstanding (but out of about 12 of us I may've been the only one impressed).

Lastly, what the other person said about nothing being close to anything is spot on, especially for those of us accustomed to Disneyland Resort.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

I agree with a lot of what is posted above. My general advice to people on their first visit. Is try to stay onsite if you can afford it, then use extra magic hours to get as much time in the parks when they are not crowded. However, lot's of people can only stay offsite and that is cool too. Just make sure you go early to a park which is not extra magic hours. That's because all the onsite guests will have headed there and it will be busy at opening for day guests. Secondly take a break when it is crowded, either go back to your room or find somewhere quiet to have some down time. Disney is exhausting and you have that race to think about!

Make as much use of Fastpass+ as possible, find out about what are your priorities for each day and book the FPs to fit in, if you are off site then you will need to do this at the kiosks in the park. . The worst way to have fun, is turn up at a park at 11am, and spend all day in lines. The good news is November is pretty quiet by WDW standards, so it's much easier to have fun than at the holiday periods or spring break.

Have a great trip.

Cheers Larry.

Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by LarryfmScotland View Post
    FP+ if you are off site then you will need to do this at the kiosks in the park.
    Actually this changed effective March 31, 2014. Coincidentally that was the first day of our visit and the first day magic bands were available for general purchase.

Any guest - on or offsite - can now make FP+ reservations in advance (bypassing the kiosks) provided he has a ticket to link in his MDE. Also, a magic band isn't necessary for this - can all be accomplished via device with or without a band.
    Last edited by MidwayManiac; 04-16-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

I haven't visited WDW since the implementation of FastPass Plus, and I'm a So-Cal resident and now a Disneyland regular, but grew up visiting WDW and was most recently there about two years ago. I'll agree with the importance of staying onsite if at all possible. This can be difficult to understand for a DLR regular, given that I typically stay offsite at the DLR since onsite is sooooo expensive and the DLR is so much more compact. WDW is truly like a small city. If you stay at an onsite resort, you can skip the car rental and never leave the "Disney bubble" which is a great escape.

I can, however, certainly appreciate budget concerns--though unless you are going to stay at a very low level chain offsite, I don't think you'll save that much money over a "value" or moderate room onsite. And the benefits you get as an onsite guest are really really great. Like I said, no need for a car (in my opinion), take the Disney Magical Express (included in your room reservation rate) to/from the airport, use the buses, boats, and monorails to get around to the parks and resorts. You'll save money by not renting a car. Make a one-time trip via cab or arrange for delivery of groceries to your room to save on meal costs. With a mini-fridge found in most hotel rooms, you can't do that much, but enough for breakfasts in your room and sandwich fixings if you want to pack lunch to bring to the parks with you.

We did this on our last trip and just ate dinners "out"--which didn't always mean a big sit-down meal, but sometimes counter service. Food choices are much more varied and superior tasting at Epcot (in comparison to the Magic Kingdom for instance). Other tips-- park hop! We usually end up at Epcot for the evening due to the aforementioned better food choices.

I "prefer" Disneyland to Magic Kingdom personally, but love Epcot and the Animal Kingdom. Hollywood Studios felt lacking to me on our last trip--and has fewer "unique" experiences. For some reason, Toy Story is infinitely more popular there than at DCA, and there's really no need to hassle with it--the ride is exactly the same as at DCA. Things to be sure to seek out in my opinion at each park that are somewhat unique to Florida:

Magic Kingdom: Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh (I think it's different than ours in CA), People Mover, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (uses similar technology to Turtle Talk with Crush), New Fantasyland (though the Mermaid ride is a replica), Electrical Parade (!!! and get nostalgic wishing it were back at DL or DCA).

Epcot: everything! But don't miss (IMO) Spaceship Earth, Test Track, and Maelstrom

Hollywood Studios: When I was able to ride roller coasters I LOVED the Rock'N'Roller Coaster, Great Movie Ride (getting dated/run down, but still cool)

Animal Kingdom: Kilimanjaro Safaris and just walking around and doing the various "trails"

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Actually this changed effective March 31, 2014. Coincidentally that was the first day of our visit and the first day magic bands were available for general purchase.

Any guest - on or offsite - can now make FP+ reservations in advance (bypassing the kiosks) provided he has a ticket to link in his MDE. Also, a magic band isn't necessary for this - can all be accomplished via device with or without a band.

Thanks for the update on this, things are changing fast!!

Cheers Larry.
    Check out my Disney Blog - Photographing Disney, Mainly Photos but some of the old Larry Humour/Humor - http://www.photographingdisney.blogspot.com

Thank you all so much... I will try to squeeze in some over time shifts at the hospital to stay on site... I would like the escape to a Disney bubble feeling!

Thank you all so much... I will try to squeeze in some over time shifts at the hospital to stay on site... I would like the escape to a Disney bubble feeling!
    I managed to get a great deal on Priceline for 2 RT plane tix, car, 3 nights at Pop century (with preferred room to my surprise!) for about $1000. I'm leaving from LAX and I thought it was a good deal. I think even staying at a value resort is better than not staying onsite for your first trip.

So at almost 30 years old I am finally making my first trip from socal and Disneyland to WDW! My boyfriend and I are planning a trip around running the wine and dine 1/2 marathon for our coast to coast challenge completion! We will be getting in Wednesday Nov. 5th at 11AM and leaving Wednesday Nov. 12th at noon. The 1/2 marathon is Saturday november 8th. We are not staying on property to save money and renting a car to get us to and from the resort. We also plan on hitting up a grocery store so we aren't eating at the resort for every meal also to save money. We are both Premium pass holders at DLR and plan on up grading prior to our trip to premier passes. I have read some stuff about the FP+ system but am not completely sure how to navigate it. Any tips would be much appreciated! Also general tips on must ride/must eat at places would be great. We are planning on doing at least a couple nice dinners while we are there especially since it is the food and wine festival! Thanks in advance!!
    Well congrats on coming east!! I hope you won't mind if I throw a couple of savings ideas your way.
    1) I see that you want to upgrade to a premier pass. This will give you discounts on rooms AND food. Now it's not going to be like your DL pass where almost all food locations will take it, and no one is going to ask you if you are a PH. So you'll just have to look on the WDW PH benefits area to see that.
    2) Soooo, if you can get a discount on rooms (and you drop the car rental) you might even come out ahead! Please, please check some sites that show the prices of rooms with the discount for the month of November.
    3) Dates... Why your dates just couldn't be better!! The weather is better. The park is less crowded. All parks, resorts and everywhere else is dressing up for Christmas. That being said, you also have a holiday in there 11/11/2014 so things will be a little crowded on that date.
    4) I almost forgot! I think that Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party might be running while you are there? You will have to buy a separate ticket to get into MK in the evenings if it is running. Your Premier pass will help you get a discount on the extra ticket, but you will still be purchasing another ticket. So choose another park on those nights if you like.

And most importantly, remember that you can make reservations, FP+, etc a lot further out from your arrival date here than you can at DL. If possible get that Premier Pass early and register on MDE and start looking around. You can have a lot of fun with your planning!

I hope you have the most magical of trips!
    GnP

ok after all the great advice on here I decided since my 30th is just after our trip Im going to not worry too much about saving money and splurge a little. We booked a room at the Port of Orleans Riverside and did the Disney Dining meal plan. I looked up grocery store delivery and will have breakfast and snack stuff delivered. We aren't planning on up grading our passes until it gets closer to our trip. (at least 60 days before so we can start booking our fastpasses!) I am even more excited now!

Even though the dining plan seems like it won't be enough food when you read about it....you probably will be able to eat every meal on the plan and not have to mess w/ groceries. The first time we did the dining plan, my dad was convinced that one meal being a "snack" would leave him hungry. He brought a rolling cooler bag and all kinds of easy prep food from Oregon (cup of soup, etc.) on the plane! He didn't need (or eat) a single bite that he had brought. We still tease him when we start planning, asking him if he's going to pack some food He is not amused anymore!

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I agree. We bought peanut butter & jelly to make sandwiches while on the DDP and didn't even use it. We often used 2 snack credits for breakfast items and then shared them, and then took 2 additional snack credits and shared a treat during the day.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

ok after all the great advice on here I decided since my 30th is just after our trip Im going to not worry too much about saving money and splurge a little. We booked a room at the Port of Orleans Riverside and did the Disney Dining meal plan. I looked up grocery store delivery and will have breakfast and snack stuff delivered. We aren't planning on up grading our passes until it gets closer to our trip. (at least 60 days before so we can start booking our fastpasses!) I am even more excited now!
    Awesome! Port Orleans is great-- we stayed in the French Quarter on our last trip. Be sure to take the boat over to Downtown Disney-- it's a fun little relaxing ride through the "swamp." As others have said, you won't go hungry on the Dining Plan from what I understand! Others more experienced than I can confirm, but I think there are ways to sort of "maximize" your meal plan use by say, foregoing a Dessert at a counter service for a piece of fruit or something comparable in price that could easily be a "snack"/light meal for later. And familiarize yourself with what counts as a "snack" to get the most bang for your buck-- I think some of the stuff in the bakeries in the France and Norway pavilions of the World Showcase count as "snacks" but are really sandwiches that would make perfectly adequate lunches.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think you will enjoy it better staying on-site, and you will save abit of money by not renting a car, paying for gas, paying for parking. Take advantage of being able to visit the other resorts like Polynesian and watch the Electrical Water Pageant, or visit the Triple-D ranch.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Since you will be a Premier AP holder, make sure you check out the Tables in Wonderland card. It gives you 20% off of most sitdown meals and some fast food meals, and includes alcohol! I think it costs around 90 bucks, but if you are staying a week and eating well you'll save a bunch. Once you run the numbers you might want to do away with the dining plan and just pay for what you eat. With the discount it can really add up!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor