Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WWoHP plan?

WWoHP plan?

Hi folks
    IOA first timer here. We're leaving for Orlando day after tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out the plan for IOA. We will have one day there (Wednesday--e rest of our days will be spent at WDW) and WWoHP is a major draw for our family. We will be staying in a Disney hotel and will not be spending $99 per person for the express pass thing.
    Touring Plans predicts a crowd level of 9.8 that day. The Unofficial Guide says that on days of extreme crowds they have WWoHP roped of and distribute passes to come back at a designated time. I did a personalized touring plan on the website but it doesn't let me just stay in WWoHP until we do everything there.
    What is the advice here, besides get there well in advance of park opening? Resort guests will be let in at 7 am so I would imagine it will be crowded before we ever get in.
    I feel at a loss for this one and it's supposed to be the most crowded park of our trip so I want a plan!
    Of course we also have a thrill ride maniac in our group so we can't forgo those rides for the sake of Harry Potter exclusively.
    Any help is appreciated.

Trips to Disneyland with kids: April 2006, May 2010
    First trip to WDW: April 2014

2. # ADS

What did you end up doing, zandy? Did you follow the Touring Plans schedule or just do your own thing? We are going in November and hopefully crowds will be low.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    What did you end up doing, zandy? Did you follow the Touring Plans schedule or just do your own thing? We are going in November and hopefully crowds will be low.
    With Diagon Alley just opening up, I think that IOA will be a lot less crowded. I would imagine though if you have a park hopper pass, it would probably be easier to get into Diagon Alley getting on the Hogwarts Express from Hogsmeade heading to Diagon Alley. I am going to test that theory in early August. BUT if you just want to go to Hogsmeade in IOA then I suggest you get there early and do the Journey ride first. The bad thing is, Hogsmeade is at the very back of the park. When you come into the park, go to the right. Just keep following that around and you will get there. I will try to remember to come back here when I get back to update how it went. I will get to spend 2 to 3 days there, so we'll see how it goes.
    Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

The original post was from April before Diagon Alley opened.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just watched the making of Diagon Alley last night. Now we are thinking of taking a day just to do HP land.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    The original post was from April before Diagon Alley opened.
    I understand that. That is why I said that I can give you an update after I am there at the beginning of August. Just wanted to give her a head's up.
    Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrosedtxn View Post
    I understand that. That is why I said that I can give you an update after I am there at the beginning of August. Just wanted to give her a head's up.
    Sorry, I totally 1) missed who you were replying to and 2) the part where Steph was going in November.

TouringPlans has a 2 day, two parks plan that gives good guidance on how to do everything. However, our group did not follow the plan. Crowds were fairly light both days, so focused on doing the Harry Potter things first, then filled in with the other attractions. Even so, if you want to thoroughly explore the two Harry Potter areas, you might just skip over most of the rest of the parks. We also had passes due to mobility issues in our group that allowed us preferred access similar to the paid Express pass. At Universal, if the wait is longer than 30 minutes, they will give you a return time for the Express line. That definitely helped cut down waits at Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, and the Hogwarts Express.

I'm not a total HP fan, but I went to the 2 Universal parks while down there on Saturday 11/8. Here was my non-guided strategy that worked OK for me for the big ticket HP rides. (I did walk around and enjoy the scenery a bit, but no shopping really)

I initially was considering trying to do all of IOA first, as USF was open an hour later in the evening, but then decided with Diagon Alley being newer in USF, I should do USF first if trying to get in the HP attractions (which was probably a very good idea).

I arrived at the gate right around park opening, maybe 9:05. Made my way to the back with everyone else doing the same thing. Rode Gringott's via single rider line, I think I was out within about 1/2 hour (actual waiting in line time - might have been posted more like 45 to 1 1/2 hours for normal line, and if you want to get a better view of the scenery, that's the way to go since you skip most of that on single rider queue). After Gringott's, I walked around the streets just to take some of it in, stayed long enough to get a nice pic of the dragon on top of Gringott's Bank breathing his fire (after being startled by it the first time - I think it does it's thing ~ every 10 minutes).

Took the train over to IOA (no wait, probably was less than 10-15 minutes from entering the station and showing park admission until I was on a train going to IOA). Went on Forbidden Journey, wait was probably about 1 hour, but there was a temporary breakdown involved within that hour. (single rider, I believe ? - the queue started outside in the area that looks quite a bit like a greenhouse before making it's way into the rooms where the pictures are animated and the library room.)

After Forbidden Journey, did the Dragon Challenge coasters, but I think you can do these whenever you want - wait was only 10 minutes (while we missed the other HP rides due to long lines, I had done this ride in August with my brother in law on a trip with my sister's family - I think it was only 10 minutes even in August). This coaster also actually does participate in Express Pass if you have gone for that. Did Red first, then Blue (but I don't know if one is really much more popular than the other)

Since I was in HP land, decided I had to try the legendary Butter Beer. I'll admit I wasn't really a fan, but it was bearable. Probably should have tried the Pumpkin Juice instead.

Not probably as action packed a morning if it was planned better, but worked for me. It was just about the right time for an early lunch at that point, so I started walking through the various IOA areas and got a quick burger at the Jurrasic Park area before doing other attractions. Not too bad - if you count the train as a ride, I did 5 rides and browsed and took some photos in less than 3 hours. With 2 rides being the HP big tickets (and having to go between the 2 parks), I consider that decent.

I did see lots of people in line for the Olivander's attraction while I was roaming. It was cool to see some kids playing with the wands that trigger elements of the scenery as you walk around.

BTW, I did really enjoy Forbidden Journey and Gringott's! Awesome rides even if you are not a true HP fan!

Last edited by Dave1313; 11-18-2014 at 06:27 PM.
    -Dave

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    TouringPlans has a 2 day, two parks plan that gives good guidance on how to do everything. However, our group did not follow the plan. Crowds were fairly light both days, so focused on doing the Harry Potter things first, then filled in with the other attractions. Even so, if you want to thoroughly explore the two Harry Potter areas, you might just skip over most of the rest of the parks. We also had passes due to mobility issues in our group that allowed us preferred access similar to the paid Express pass. At Universal, if the wait is longer than 30 minutes, they will give you a return time for the Express line. That definitely helped cut down waits at Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, and the Hogwarts Express.
    I'm in the planning stages of a big WDW/Universal trip next summer. The boys are so into HP right now (almost 8 & 9) so we definitely think it's time to leave The World and spend some time at Universal. We have Universal Hollywood APs so we're not so much interested in anything that would be a repeat, mostly HP stuff. How long many days would you recommend spending at Universal and would you follow a touring plan?
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

WWoHP plan?

Fairest. By far the easiest way to do Universal is to stay at one of their three deluxe hotels. This gives you front of line passes as part of your room fee. If you only stay one night you get the pass for two days (check in and check out day), so even if you were staying on WDW property it might be worth getting one night at one of these hotels even if you don't sleep there. You also get early entry to the HP section of one of the parks as an on site guest. We will be there summer 2015 too for four nights staying at the Hard Rock Hotel. Last time we did I of A we got everything done in one day during Christmas week but we did have front of line passes. Did HP first as the passes don't work on these rides. So with the FOL pass I'd say you can easily do both parks in two days, three if you want to to HP areas absolute justice or to repeat things. Without FOL passes at a busy time I'd guess four days would be better. At the ages of your children mine couldn't go all day without a break or a meltdown.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

WWoHP plan?

Ps. Without FOL passes yes, I would definitely follow a touring plan.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Ps. Without FOL passes yes, I would definitely follow a touring plan.
    Thanks for the great info. We are planning for summer of 2016. They will be 9 & 10 by then so we'll see how long they can hang with the big dogs.

Check the fine print before paying extra for anything. Most of the levels of FOL passes don't include the big ticket Harry Potter attractions.

Following a touring plan is a good idea, but you may want to prioritize the HP stuff first. You'll need at least 2 days to see both parks fully. Make sure to allow enough time to just wander the Diagon Alley area and check out the wonderful theming.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Steph.

My daughter and I went in July for a "last hurrah" Orlando trip before she moved into her dorm. She's a HUGE HP fan, and we managed to fill almost all of our two days just in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. Such a great trip! I definitely recommend staying onsite, as you can easily walk to both parks. We only took the water taxi once, and it was just because we wanted to see what it was like. We stayed at the Royal Pacific Resort and loved it. The minute we checked in, they gave us a free upgrade. (That's never happened to me before!) Our room overlooked Hogwarts Castle. (I thought my daughter was going to faint.) It was an incredible room. Another onsite advantage is early entry. This saved us in our efforts to ride Gringotts, because the lines last summer were hours long. I don't know how much things will change before then, but someone gave us the advice to avoid what most people think would work -- enter Hogsmeade with early entry then ride Hogwarts Express over to Diagon Alley. We queued up early for Diagon Alley instead, and only waited 30 minutes or so for Gringotts. When we came off, the line was huge, and the people who made the first Hogwarts Express trip were just getting off the train. That would have been a big mistake! If your little guys are HP fans, I highly recommend some kind of wizard wear. My daughter wore a Hogwarts uniform and robes each morning (because she wanted pictures in them), and it made such a difference. When they observe guests dressed up, they go way out of their way to pull them into the story. It happened constantly over the two days. When we did Olivanders, for example, they chose a little boy (as they should) for the ceremony. But when I asked if I could get a quick picture of my fully-uniformed 18-year-old daughter with the "wand wizard" on the way out, they emptied the room, shut the doors and did a shortened, private version of the ceremony. (I was so shocked I almost forgot to record it!) I also recommend you think about buying one of the interactive wands. They're awfully cool. There's so much more to tell...LOL...

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Blog Entries

Awesome! Thank you!!

Looks like we will be going to Universal/Island of Adventures in July of 2015. I'm thinking we are going to stay there for a whole week and be real casual about our touring. Maybe this trip we will really take a break every afternoon and partake of all the fun pool offerings!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    Looks like we will be going to Universal/Island of Adventures in July of 2015. I'm thinking we are going to stay there for a whole week and be real casual about our touring. Maybe this trip we will really take a break every afternoon and partake of all the fun pool offerings!
    Can't wait to read your report when you return!

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Can't wait to read your report when you return!
    I forgot to come back to tell you how the trip went. It was very crowded in August, especially Diagon Alley. But the cool thing was being able to take the train back and forth. You get a different "show" on the train each direction AND it only takes 3 minutes (once the train pulls out). That saves a TON of walking between the parks. If you only have one day, I would say definitely get a park hopper pass. Doing the Harry Potter "lands" is do-able in one day (if that is all you are interested in). You can throw in some of the other rides, but if you are just a Harry Potter fan and stick to those lands, you can see everything in half a day and then you can go check out the rest of the parks. If you have any other questions about it, I'll come back and check so I can hopefully help you all with them.

As far as Diagon Alley goes, there is SO much detail in this park. It gets very crowded but doesn't feel as congested as it did with Hogsmeade opened up. If there is over an hour wait for Gringotts, I suggest you do the single rider line. You won't get the "details" of the bank, but you will see inside a bit, but you usually won't have that long of a wait. The ride is good, but not worth standing in the line for over an hour, and that is just MY opinion. Try the hot butter beer (even if it is hot outside), IF they serve it during the summer. I liked it so much more than the regular and the frozen. Otherwise I prefer the regular over the frozen version.
    Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrosedtxn View Post
    I forgot to come back to tell you how the trip went. It was very crowded in August, especially Diagon Alley. But the cool thing was being able to take the train back and forth. You get a different "show" on the train each direction AND it only takes 3 minutes (once the train pulls out). ................
    Good tip on the show being different each way! While I am not a die hard HP fan or anything, I didn't realize that. Both times I took the train were the same direction, USF to IOA.

Something to consider if I find myself at Universal again in the future.
    -Dave

Blog Entries

Thanks all! I'll be in my 11 month DVC booking window this week so we are trying to nail down which days we'll be at Universal. Considering either smack in the middle (BLT to Universal to AKV) or at the end. The boys and I will be going for two weeks, but DH will only come out for the last week and he really was tot see HP stuff. We'll fill in the rest with WDW.

We are at USF and IOA this week and we noticed that Saturday night was the least crowded, crowds picked up as the week went on, Sunday not bad by Tuesday much more of a crowd.

We checked in at the Royal Pacific Hotel about 5:30pm on Saturday, got all our park media, dropped the bags in the rooms and walked to IOA to have dinner at Thunder Falls, just made it before 7pm closing. After dinner walked into HP land and it was pretty empty the castle was less then 15 minutes, looked around, took the train to USF, less than 5 minute wait. Got on Gringotts within 20 minutes and walked around Diagon Alley. All before 10 pm closing.
    Never did get up and do the early entry, we just waited and went after sun set.
    Front in the line passes make the rest of the park very easy to do in a day for each park. One morning we put on swimwear and rode all the water rides in IOA multiple times each. So easy to do with the front of the line pass. We did two rides on rip saw falls before the regular line even did one ride.
    And just FYI Dragon Challenge does have express pass (front of the line) line but it doesn't advertise it out front so you don't see it until you get into the ride line.

Thanks for the information. My nephew and his friend are going for the day while we are at Disney. They are going primarily to see the Harry Potter stuff in both parks. In your experience can both be done in a day if they buy the express pass for the other rides? Thanks

It will make for a really long day and I guess it depends on how much looking around in the shops they want to do. We did not do the wand shop/show this trip so I can't tell you how long that takes.
    They should have as much of the park media they can do ahead of time done so when the gates open they can just walk right in. Not sure if express pass can be pre purchased (at six flags it can) but if it can they should do that.