Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Napa Rose closing during the month of August [now reopened]

Napa Rose closing during the month of August [now reopened]

My husband and I just had a most fabulous dinner last night at Napa Rose. Chef Sutton was out on vacation, and we got to experience the Chef's Counter with Chef Gloria Tae. She was great and ended up talking with us and our counter-dining-mates for about a half hour at the end of our dinner. She insisted that my husband have another dessert, and then our server brought us another glass of dessert wine to have with the new dessert.

Anyway, she informed us that the restaurant will be closing for about 3-4 (or more?) weeks starting in early August for kitchen renovation. She said that there would still be the option of dining at the Chef's Counter, and that all the changes would be inside the kitchen. Just thought I would share in case the closing may impact anyone's plans for later this summer. Anyone else hear anything about this?

Elizabeth & Matt, established 2008 *Katie born 2/2010 *Josie born 2/2012 *Jayson born 3/2015
    AP holder 2010-2016, Disneyland fan since the '80s
    WDW *1984 (or maybe 1983), *2013

2. # ADS

We'll make sure to ask about this the next time we eat there.

Blog Entries

Why was i not asked for input before the schedule was finalized?

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    Why was i not asked for input before the schedule was finalized?
    I got the memo from chef, you didn't? ;-)
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I got the memo from chef, you didn't? ;-)
    ^5!!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Will it be reopened by Labor Day weekend?

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Will it be reopened by Labor Day weekend?
    They do not have that information yet. When I called yesterday to make our anniversary reservation they were able to confirm an August closure but no re-open date yet.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Napa Rose to close for 8 weeks

I had not seen this posted (though it may have). Starting Aug 2nd - closed for an 8 week refurbishment - according to the OC Register.
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/n...rant-napa.html

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Headless Chicken

8 weeks of closure now. Why on earth would they do this over Labor Day weekend?

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    8 weeks of closure now. Why on earth would they do this over Labor Day weekend?
    I wouldn't think Labor Day would necessarily be that much busier than normal, other than that it's a random holiday. Eight weeks means the restaurant would reopen around the beginning of October, which I would think is the start of their busy period, through the end of the year.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I figured as much. If local paper prints it - it has to be old news... Thanks..
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Headless Chicken
    I wouldn't think Labor Day would necessarily be that much busier than normal, other than that it's a random holiday. Eight weeks means the restaurant would reopen around the beginning of October, which I would think is the start of their busy period, through the end of the year.
    Yeah, but's a RunDisney weekend, which brings in an additional 20,000 people, plus their families. It just seems like it would make more sense to do this in late January, opening in time for Spring Break.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    Yeah, but's a RunDisney weekend, which brings in an additional 20,000 people, plus their families. It just seems like it would make more sense to do this in late January, opening in time for Spring Break.
    I don't know that I'd expect large numbers of the runDisney crowd and families to want to be dining at Napa Rose on a race weekend. But, there are also other factors in play as to the timing of the refurb.

Blog Entries

I never have TIME to dine at NR race weekends.

I think they probably made an informed decision on when to close. I am always shocked when I am sipping a delicious glass of wine and enjoying the best cheese plate ever and the ENTIRE PARK OF DCA is exiting and not ONE person comes in for an adult refreshment at the bar. I think NR has a great local following and local people tend to stay away from restaurants in DECEMBER making a triumphant return in January and February. I am only speculating but those can be very good months even though the tourist is not there. I don't think a refurb has any GOOD time for them ultimately but then again....I am mad....

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I don't know that I'd expect large numbers of the runDisney crowd and families to want to be dining at Napa Rose on a race weekend. But, there are also other factors in play as to the timing of the refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I never have TIME to dine at NR race weekends.
    Ok, these posts cracked me up because we went as a party of 7 on Sunday night after 2014 Tink. But we had a super special opportunity, otherwise we would not have.

The OC Register article matches what we heard from the staff last month - it's mostly a kitchen renovation. Some equipment is old and "really needs" to be updated, some equipment is never used and they can make better use of the space. The big rotisserie oven in the back is going, as is the oven I'd never even noticed before on the Pastry/Dessert side of the kitchen. Also, they'll remove that useless cheese display in front of seats 1-4.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Friend and I went last Friday night to the Chef's Counter before they closed for the renovation. Got to talk to Chef Sutton some about it---one of the main things he seems to be excited about is that all of the new kitchen pieces will be "modular"--right now the grills and such are all connected and if one goes out it's a pain to get it fixed in place or have to cut it out and put something back in. The new kitchen will be made up of components that can easily be popped out and replaced if something goes bad. Also talked to a couple of the sous-chefs--they were given the option of either taking a long vacation (which some chose to do) or work at another restaurant till the renovation was done (which others chose to do). In addition to taking out the cheese display as AdrienneK mentioned, they are also going to be upgrading the table behind that area that holds plates and dishes for the staff to use so it will look "better."

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Headless Chicken

Any update on reopening?

The hubby wants to take me there the end of this month.

I just tried to book online and it looked like it wasn't taking online reservations until Oct 3. While it's possible that it will open sooner, I personally am not holding my breath (though I am pouting a little bit).

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

The sign outside the restaurant says: "Napa Rose is temporarily closed for refurbishment. We look forward to your visit in September."

Hey Disneyphile,

I would check daily for a reservation as per cstephens recent post about September.....they will PROBABLY open earlier but do not have reservations listed until October 3 in case some installations going wrong....I am arriving OCTOBER 2 and hope it is open for a cheese plate that night at the bar......fingers crossed for us all!

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    Hey Disneyphile,

I would check daily for a reservation as per cstephens recent post about September.....they will PROBABLY open earlier but do not have reservations listed until October 3 in case some installations going wrong....I am arriving OCTOBER 2 and hope it is open for a cheese plate that night at the bar......fingers crossed for us all!
    Great advice! Thanks!

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Per Disney Dining, they will reopen Saturday, October 4.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Well,

Looks like that is the only night I can go for a cheese plate so I will have to time it well.....or maybe around closing time??? Even if they were ready to open early most restaurants that are well run (I have a feeling NAPA ROSE ranks amongst them) would have a few nights practice for the chefs and cooks and staff and even friends and families dining to get the swing of new equipment etc.....it takes a couple of days to prep for a dinner if the restaurant has been closed. I don't think we'll see a soft opening, oops....that's an attraction....I mean an early opening now.....sorry Disneyphile.....