Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About the Magic Kingdom

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About the Magic Kingdom

My Disney Top 5 - Things to Love About the Magic Kingdom by Chris Barry

Chris Barry continues his series of things to love at Walt Disney World.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Makes me sad that I'm "only" going to Disneyland this year. Sure, CA has more rides in the park, but the MK is so much larger and majestic.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay I'm going to be finicky, nit pick etc. I think you have alot more than five. Your number five contains three all by itself so pick one! I understand where you are coming from but don't give it a number that you surpass right off the bat. Space Mountain at WDW doesn't hold a candle to the one at DLR unless you enjoy getting the crap beat out of you. I like Splash Mountain but I am not a fan of getting wet. Thunder Mountain has been a favorite since I rode it years ago. The other four are not specific enough to really comment on other than "Yeah Magic Kingdom has some cool stuff in it".

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

This entire list could just as easily apply to Disneyland.

#5 - The Mountains: Disneyland's mountain range has one additional peak with the inclusion of The Matterhorn. BTM and SM are comparable between DL and MK, but the DL version of SM is definitly superior.

#4 - I'm more of a fan of New Orlenes Square, but DL Fantasyland is still a crowdpleaser. Prior to the New Fantasyland extension at MK, the DL version was clearly superior with the bavarian theme, Mr. Toad still running, the Matterhorn and the Small World Clock. As of right now, I'd say it is a bit of a wash and when the 7 Dwarves Mine Train is open, MK will have the edge.

#3 - Main Street: Meh... Main Street used to be cool, when there were actual games in the Penny Arcade, the Main Street transportation attractions operated regularly and it was populated by some nifty specialty shops. Now is is one big generic shopping strip with pretty paint. I agree that is sets the mood as you make your way into the parks and sucks on your wallet on the way out, but except for the Carnation Cafe and the Jolly Holliday Bakery there isn't much to make me linger.

#2 - For DL, I'd replace the fireworks show with Fantasmic. Yes, there are no bleachers and your view is often impinged, but it is so much more grand compared the the show at Hollywood Studios. Peter Pan sequence on the Columbia? Fun! Dragon? Awesome! All the characters on the Mark Twain? Majestic! All of it up close? Fantasmic!

#1 DL has its own set of hidden treasures. From Snow White's well to hidden treasure in the Tom Sawyer caves, from London Park being overun by giant ducks to the humorous tombstones outside the HM. There is always something new discover everytime I visit a Disney park.

I know there is a bit of a DL/MK rivalry. I agree that MK is bigger, but DL, even though physically smaller, still manages to cram a lot of magic into the park. If MK is the more majestic of the two, then DL is the more intimate.