Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is on your race bucket list?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I did the ToT the first year they offered it, and am very greatful for that. One - I did the 6.5K, Two - it was later in the year. And that was my first ever ever ever race outside field day in grade school. My sister and I walked it together (first race for her, too) and had blinking 'dog collar' bracelets on our pony tails. Another padder used us to pace herself after we'd gotten a bit ahead of her!

There is no way I'd attempt to do a race at the end of September in Florida, even if it's a night race and even if I live where I CAN (and have to) train in the same environment.

Cathy

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    You know, that wouldn't be a bad idea, except that I can't use treadmills!
    No problem. All you need to do is run in place for a minute and then do 4-8 burpees, run for 1-3 minutes and do 60 seconds of jumping jacks. Run in place 1-3 minutes and then do 1 minute of high knees. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Over and over. Over and over...you may never look at your bathroom the same, but hey, it's humidity.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post

• Big Sur Half Marathon
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post

• Big Sur Half Marathon
    • Boston Marathon (my goal is to do this before I turn 50, so sometime before 2023).
    • Badwater Ultra (more of a pipe dream that amuses me, but I might need an intervention, should I make that Boston goal)
    You both listed the Big Sur Half -- that is a wonderful wonderful race. The course is a very nice out-and-back along the water. I remember running along one stretch where I saw a bunch of sea lions hanging out on the rocks! It can be a little windy in parts and a bit chilly depending on the weather (it's held in November, IIRC) but it's one of my favorite courses. Not too many tight turns (just a few in town). There's just a few tiny little burps but otherwise a relatively flat course.

...and of course like I mentioned earlier, the best finisher's medals in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by heatherya View Post
    There's the Great Aloha Run on Presidents' Day weekend. It's only 8 miles I think...Aloha Tower to Aloha Stadium. I want to do that one. I did it once in high school with my dh (when he was my bf lol), and ran maybe a mile. I could totally run the whole thing if I tried again. The hard part is getting back there for it lol.
    I did that a few times when I lived in Hawaii! It's an odd distance in order to fit the theme. They could've found all sorts of detours to add more miles, but it's considered "the people's race" and I think they wanted to keep it as accessible as possible. GAR is the race that used to have an official back-of-the-pack category for slower walkers and those pushing strollers, which I always thought was a great idea (and made it even more friendly for everyone). The best part was that, by ending it inside Aloha Stadium, they had a built-in party venue with tons of parking. So smart!

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Tower of Terror run at WDW - That medal is just too cool, but I'm not sure if I could do this or any other race in Orlando. The distance doesn't bother me, but the humidity does.
    The one big advantage with the ToT race is that it's at night. So you might be dealing with the humidity, but at least you won't have to deal with the sun at the same time.

Humidity is a tough one because it's a real curve ball. Not much you can do to train for it. Just make sure to stay hydrated, AND electrolyted (the latter is the big one). Maybe carry a little mini washcloth or something so you can wipe excess sweat off your arms if that makes you feel icky. Or hem up your shirt so it falls at the hip line and lets your torso breathe a little better (versus wearing a very long shirt or wearing the shirt tucked in).

Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    I've been intrigued to do the Dipsea since reading a feature about it in Runner's World a few years back.
    I've hiked the Dipsea out and back. As long as the trail isn't muddy, it's pretty nice (but tiring!!!!). Starting this year, the Double Dipsea folks have teamed up with Brazen Racing to handle the race organization. They haven't opened registration yet but you can keep your eye out at http://brazenracing.com/doubledipsea.html. I don't know what the race capacity will be but I'm pretty sure it'll sell out quickly.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    No problem. All you need to do is run in place for a minute and then do 4-8 burpees, run for 1-3 minutes and do 60 seconds of jumping jacks. Run in place 1-3 minutes and then do 1 minute of high knees. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Over and over. Over and over...you may never look at your bathroom the same, but hey, it's humidity.
    ...I don't think I have enough room in our bathrooms to do burpees. And if I tried, I'd be bopping my head next to the toilet bowl. Uh, no thanks. ;-)
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    You both listed the Big Sur Half -- that is a wonderful wonderful race. The course is a very nice out-and-back along the water. I remember running along one stretch where I saw a bunch of sea lions hanging out on the rocks! It can be a little windy in parts and a bit chilly depending on the weather (it's held in November, IIRC) but it's one of my favorite courses. Not too many tight turns (just a few in town). There's just a few tiny little burps but otherwise a relatively flat course.
    Ahem.. Lani's ignoring me.

(I think you missed it because we posted at the same time...)

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    • Chip & Dale Half Marathon (A girl can dream, right???)
    • Big Sur Half (That's the one in November, right? - Some friends of ours from church ran that one last year. She'd run halfs and fulls years ago and had "retired". When I started bringing my medals around, she decided she wanted to do another half before her 70th birthday. She picked the Big Sur Half and loved it - and brought her medal to show me. It's a lovely medal and she gushed on the half course. And it would fit my time limit.)
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Ahem.. Lani's ignoring me.
    I would never!

(I think you missed it because we posted at the same time...)
    Yeah, that's the ticket!

These are all awesome races! Here is my bucket list (so far)

Boston Marathon
    Big Sur International Marathon
    (If I ever qualify for Boston, I'd like to do the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge)
    NYC Marathon
    Chicago Marathon
    Marine Corp Marathon
    Flying Pig Marathon
    Honolulu Marathon
    Southernmost Marathon (Key West)
    ToT and Expedition Everest Challenge (the two runDisney events I haven't completed - plus any other they might add in the future)

It's alot of marathons, which surprises me since I haven't always been excited about that distance in the past. But I've always wanted to complete these races.

(There's a crazy voice in me that fantasizes about the Western States 100...)

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    (If I ever qualify for Boston, I'd like to do the Boston 2 Big Sur Challenge)
    We can go together!! (we can dream!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    We can go together!! (we can dream!)
    That's a deal! Boston 2016! (That's my goal...)
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    That's a deal! Boston 2016! (That's my goal...)
    If we both qualify by September 2015, we totally should.

Headless Chicken

Add to mine: the 2015 or 2016 Boston 5K, since it's the same weekend as the marathon.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.