Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can WDW be toured without a smart phone?

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, with humor... I did have two main reasons. You make good points as well.
    You are right that every parent is different and each family should create their own guidelines for the use of tech while at the parks. Its something that should be discussed before the trip so that there is no confusion regarding expectations.

To some, while at a Disney park, someone might be the "keeper" of the MDE app and is designated as the main person looking things up. To others, its fair game for everyone. For me - I try to simply keep my phone in my camera case so it is out of sight, out of mind. I do that so I dont get bothered by my teammates without my consent.

The tech I like to stick with while on vaca is my camera and camcorder.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    If you get a chance, look at my latest trip report - all pics were taken with my Samsung Galaxy SIII phone. It doesn't do that well in the dark, but daylight pics are pretty spectacular. I like park storming with only a cell phone on my belt instead of lugging around an extra camera.
    Okay, I finally got a few minutes to go and peruse your report. Nice one! I agree, some good pics you got. They are finally putting better lenses in them. It looks like it still has problems with backlit subjects, as most all cameras do. The thing I still like better about an actual camera though is being able to change program or settings to help compensate. Cell cameras are all terrible in dark scenes though. I haven't bought one yet, but the full size SLR digital bodies are amazing in low light situations and would be awesome for fireworks pics, something all small cameras suck at. Good report! I always say I will do one but then I get back and work has piled up and I don't...
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Yeah, there are still limitations to the cell phone camera. But the convenience of having a pretty decent camera right there on your belt is very cool!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Agree with everyone here that it CAN be done, but that it's much easier with a smart phone. On my last trip, two Epcot rides went down at the same time before World Showcase had opened -- the lines to change FastPass+ got insane. One CM was estimating an hour. Meanwhile, 10 feet away I was on my smart phone taking two minutes to update my FastPass+ selections on the MDE app. In another instance, our group was eating lunch and realized we might miss an FP+ window -- I was able to shift our FP+ time while sitting at our table eating, instead of having to go seek out a kiosk to postpone. I'm on the fence about the new FP+ changes, but everything about the new system is made easier with a smart phone. FP+, restaurant reservations, wait times... it's all there.

Lightbulb

We used ours for another reason--to note where we parked our car and the locker numbers at Universal when you can't take loose things on the ride.

We finally figured this out after too many senior moments

For some reason I couldn't always load the my disney experience app to look at fast pass in my phone at the parks so I had to go old school and just write them down on a piece of paper.

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Greymouse View Post
    We used ours for another reason--to note where we parked our car and the locker numbers at Universal when you can't take loose things on the ride.
    Not to be too much of a wiseguy, but isn't a phone a type of item you'd be risking the ride removing for you if you can't take loose items on?

I haven't been to Universal, but I went on the (probably comparably tame to most universal coasters) Manta ride at Sea World, and if I recall, the locker keys were on an elastic bracelet so they would not fall out of your pocket, etc.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    Not to be too much of a wiseguy, but isn't a phone a type of item you'd be risking the ride removing for you if you can't take loose items on?

I haven't been to Universal, but I went on the (probably comparably tame to most universal coasters) Manta ride at Sea World, and if I recall, the locker keys were on an elastic bracelet so they would not fall out of your pocket, etc.
    What can I say--my dh can't be separated from his phone like millions of others. My phone was in the locker.

The lockers at Universal are not like that at all. You do have to put in the locker number and a fingerprint id, but I think he must have used a different finger because it wouldn't open the locker with just his fingerprint. (The locker has an option to open on your fingerprint if you select that you forgot your locker number).

And incidently and not to be too much of a wise gal, when we were snorkeling at Key West, dh did rent a locker and got one of those elastic bracelet thingys and he lost it in the ocean so I guess nothing is full proof
    When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    So on our last trip out in May when we left Epcot there was a young couple with Bride and Groom ears we saw at the monorail station. They were glued to their smart phones, said a couple words to each other that was it. They ended up in the same monorail car as we did. Didn't look up at the scenery going by, said only a couple words together again were glued to their smart phones the whole trip. I just felt sorry/sad for them.
    That doesn't sound like much of a honeymoon. It does sound like they've already adjusted to married life though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    I've been carrying my phone with me in the parks for the past year or so, and I've never lost it on a ride. Just make sure you've got a good holster for it. Or at worst, take it out and put it in the pocket that they have in most rough vehicles.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor