Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: March 10-13, 4 day one day one park tix, cast of 5

March 10-13, 4 day one day one park tix, cast of 5

Since I have benefitted from the advice and input on this board so much, I thought I owe a trip report - plus, I can then look it up later myself should I get curious about the details...
    So here goes!
    We drove down from the Central Valley Sat 3/9 and spent our first night in a BW in Woodland Hills, CA, in order to be close to the Getty Museum, which was on the agenda for Sunday. We were a family of 4 (dh, me, dd1 8, dd2 6) plus SIL, a first time visitor to the US, and to Disney.
    After our Getty visit Sunday, we drove on to Anaheim and arrived there in the late afternoon, with just about enough time to fit in an hour at the pool before dinner. We stayed at the Sheraton Park Hotel and loved it. They had booked us into adjoining rooms, on the 11th floor, with a non-Disney view but a nice view down Harbor Blvd. We liked checking the Disney parking lots at night when sitting out on our balcony with a snack and a beer after the kids were in bed, chatting with SIL who would be on her little standing room balcony (ours was a full one). Walked to the Gardenwalk for dinner and then I walked over to the park to get our tickets, which I had prepurchased on way.com. Turns out I should have actually read the printouts, because those were the actual tickets - no need to exchange them at the booth as in previous years. However, I did get a nice fireworks view while walking to the park and the CM gave my all sorts of buttons.

Got up bright an early Monday, 3/10, in order to be at the DL gates by 8, as recommended by the ticket CM the evening before. Gates were opened at 8.30, and it took a long time to convert the tickets into little paper tickets, so that we didn't make it quite to the front of the rope. Our plan was to make it to Peter Pan first, and we basically walked on. After one round of Dumbo, dh said he wanted to try the new to us Matterhorn, and while the rest waited in line, I sped off to collect our first round of fast passes and get my photo pass plus card. Made it back just in time to join the rest of the group (thank you, kind CM!) for the ride. Hmm. Kind of jerky. SIL didn't realize it was a rollercoaster and was expecting a Peter Pan type experience...after we got off the Matterhorn, family joined the Storybook boat line while I sped off for the next fp (hard to get the fp runner out of my system, but learned by day 4 to take it easier). And even though I had to speedwalk through most of the park, the line had barely moved by the time I returned. In fact, all of FL was pretty busy - not crazy busy, but I felt the quiet morning time had been at most one hour long. Markedly different for us from previous visits, which were always one week before, just before spring break season. We definitely felt the parks were more crowded throughout our whole stay.
    However, it was also warmer, and so Splash quickly became everyone's favorite. FP wait was super short and we rode it two or three times that day. Never made it on Indy or Space, because they both broke down numerous times, which then led to long Jungle Cruise lines.
    SIL really loved Star Tours and would end up riding it 5 or 6 times during our 4 days in the park. Had a reservation for lunch at Cafe Orleans, food was decent as always, kids meals somewhat small and not that appealing, ditto as always. After a full day of taking in various shows and the parade, we left the parks around 8.30 or 9, with only enough time for cereal and sandwiches in the hotel room for dinner.

Tuesday, 3/11, up early again, but this time off to DCA, in order to off the timing for the extra magic hour. I think that strategy was really a good tip! We made it to the front of the rope no problem but what a surprise when we got squashed, squeezed and squished when the entire Carsland crowd is told to walk to the right. Lesson learned. We still basically walked on the ride, then continued to do the other 2 rides in Carsland before heading over to Toy Story, where we waited about 20 min (oh, and I powerwalked and collected a bunch of fp while the rest waited - although not for RSR, which I now regret. Line seemed so long! But was told by a CM that it's rarely more than 10min. Next year.). Then SIL and dc were drawn to Mickey's Funwheel like moths to the flame, and dh and I used the family's fp for 2 rides on Screaming - and still plenty of time to spare, so I walked off for another fp and got waylaid by an idiosyncratic photographer who promised me all kinds of cool shots and then forgot all about me waiting. No matter, since we were mostly there for family pictures anyways. Made our way to Soaring and SIL and dd2 were awed. DD2, in fact, would come to shout either "That was awesome" or "I hated it!", after all the major rides - and she did bravely try all the ones she was tall enough for, although she forbids me to even mention the words "tower" and "terror' in the same sentence now.
    We managed to squeeze in Aladdin as well, the Genie was wonderful as always. Also ended up catching a performing high school troupe, which kids really enjoyed too. But alas, no characters. We barely even saw any. We headed home after Aladdin for a quick pool break, and because we knew it would be a late night since we were planning to watch WOC. We had eaten the WOC lunch at WCT, and thus had tickets for that special viewing section. The staff at WTC told me to get there by 8.45 for the 9pm show, 8.30 tops - that's when they would open up the area. So I decided to line up at 8.15, and when we got there at 8pm, the area was already open and I was slightly panicky we wouldn't get a great spot. Managed to get one of the last spots right at the railing, and had a much more relaxed time waiting for the show to begin than when we lined up 3 years ago with a fp. SIL suitably awed by the show - so much so, in fact, that she decided to add a third day to her 2 day ticket and join us the next day in DL. She barely made it to the ticket booths in time as she took a wrong turn somewhere in DCA when trying to exit the park ahead of the crowds.

Wed, 3/12, back to DL, were first in our line at the turnstiles and first at the rope - and then Peter Pan was down. Off to the princesses then. I thought for a minute or so if I'd willing to sacrifice one hour to wait for Frozen, since that opens at 10, but then decided that that hour just seemed too precious. Princesses ran late, but we didn't have to wait much once they got there (maybe 10 min late). Headed on over to Tinkerbell's hollow, no wait at all, and then to Merida, again with no wait at all. I think we had met all those characters before 10AM, and dh and SIL rode Star Tours twice during that time. We then made sure to hit those rides we didn't get to go on on Monday, such as Space Mountain and Indiana Jones, and fit in another ride or two on Splash. Tried out Rancho Zocalo for lunch, loved the location, and food not half bad. We also managed to head back to the hotel in the afternoon for a couple of hours at the pool, and then headed back to the park for a couple more hours. Rode Matterhorn again, in the single rider line, in the dark it was a great ride. Concluded our evening with Startours for SIL and dd2, and anniversary pics for dh, dd1 and me (10 years that day). Oh wait. The very end of the day was a patient photographer taking dh and my pic while dd1 and dd2 got in a scuffle on the sidelines. Yep, time to head to bed for all except SIL - who once again raced off to add another day when she found out it would be only $25 for the 4th day...she made it in time, but the CM was a little suspicious of her and grilled her a little before selling her the day.

Thursday, 3/13: Our last day, and only a half day at that, as we planned to head to Morro Bay that day. Off this time to DCA, learned our lesson and lined up to the right of the rope, and dd2 and I walked 5 people behind the lead CM, no tussle or squishing or squashing at all, plenty of room while the crowd surged behind us....however, we still had to wait for the rest of our group, who had a less decent experience. DH almost couldn't enjoy the ride, he was so annoyed at the behavior of fellow visitors who more or less elbowed him out of the way. Next time, I guess we'll try the fp route. Took it leisurely, again just finishing up what we didn't accomplish our first day or what were musts on everyone's list (Muppets for SIL, screaming for me). Requested the front row on Screaming and got it. Very fun! And fun to get all those pictures with the photopass. We even managed to squeeze in an animation session, and will definitely try to make more time for those in the future.
    Left the park at 12.30 (last task: get a Disney dollar for my choir director, who likes to hand them out to his students).

Conclusion: We had a great time. This is the first time we had more than 3 days in the park, and we could have easily stayed the entire 4th day.
    This was also the first time we actually enjoyed DCA more than DL, which seemed more crowded, even though it probably wasn't. We didn't get to go on all of the rides we thought we'd get on (Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, the Bugs movie, for example), never saw the Pixar Parade or really any of the entertainment at DCA, which surprised me, but I think it really was a little more crowded than on our previous visits. And even though the longer hours were nice because it allowed us the middle of the day pool break, I think I'd opt for a visit on an 10-8 day if given the choice - I really like those quiet mornings. But a super fun trip nonetheless, plus, we have a new favorite hotel!

Goodnight, all!

2. # ADS

Wonderful trip report. Loved that SIL kept adding days. I think she "got it".
    Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    Ellen

Love that your sil had such a good time.
    I have a 12x12 photo album that I cut the Animation academy drawings down (Use the paper insert from the plastic sleeve and you can center it just right to get most of the words on the top and bottom of the page)and put them in. My kids love looking back and seeing how much better they are as they get older. I even have the sets from our oldest and her husband's (who had never been in there before) trip last spring in there.
    Glad you guys had fun.

I really enjoyed your trip report. It's amazing what can happen when you get there early!

candles that is such a great idea!! I think you should put it in your own post. We had so many great drawings from animation academy that got crunched or squished or wet. I'm really sorry that I don't have them anymore.

good idea with the album - I am half playing with the idea of making an actual scrapbook instead of a photobook once the cd gets in in order to put all those little mementos in. Our 4 Jack Skellingtons, meanwhile, are on the kitchen counter, slightly crumpled...

You can iron paper. In this case they are pencil drawings, but crayon or pastels you want a good layer of newpaper because they both melt. Low setting.