Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: California Adventure Power Walk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

California Adventure Power Walk

I found out that there is a power walk in California Adventure that leaves from the Grand Californian and is for DLR guests. It sounds really cool, but I'm wondering how fast they walk. Has anybody done this?

My boyfriend and I do it each morning it's offered every visit. It's a VERY brisk walk and I think it's recommended that people be in fairly good health and be able to keep up. Having said that, every time we've done it there are always several persons who can't (or won't) keep pace and are lagging behind. Our CM goes back if they're beyond hearing distance and asks if they're ok but everyone who's ever been with us has been able to complete the walk without being told to keep up. I recall only once did a couple stop and go back to the hotel without finishing. I guess the pace was faster than they expected. The CM does wait at the GCH entrance til everyone's done. I would definitely encourage folks to give it a try especially if they're used to walking/exercising. If you keep pace with the CM he's (or she, we've always had guys) more than willing to answer questions and share info. Also, the walk begins with several minutes of stretching exercises as a warm up. Then it's off you go! So cool to walk through DCA before it opens to the world.

John

Yes, I did it when we stayed at the Grand in 2011. It was a neat experience and I highly recommend it. Wear "workout clothes"--i.e. NOT jeans and walking/running shoes and be prepared to walk like you would if you were doing walking for exercise. It's a brisk pace, but I would think quite doable for anyone who spends full days walking around the theme parks. : ) I don't recall breaking a sweat, but we definitely kept moving!

This trip will be for my 65th birthday, and I'm so excited. I walk for 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours every day. I can walk a mile in 17 minutes. I really want to do this. I am trying to up my pace from now until I'm at Disneyland in 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftykaren49 View Post
    This trip will be for my 65th birthday, and I'm so excited. I walk for 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours every day. I can walk a mile in 17 minutes. I really want to do this. I am trying to up my pace from now until I'm at Disneyland in 6 weeks.
    You should be TOTALLY fine at that current pace-- good for you!! Have a great trip!

Thank you for the information. I am really looking forward to it.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness kraftykaren -- I don't know if you hang out in our Team MousePlanet forum, but if you walk for exercise everyday like that, you should consider joining us there for our Castle-to-Castle Challenge!
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Oh my goodness kraftykaren -- I don't know if you hang out in our Team MousePlanet forum, but if you walk for exercise everyday like that, you should consider joining us there for our Castle-to-Castle Challenge!
    That sounds really fun. If you do it again next year, I might join.

On Saturday, February 22nd, I participated in the power walk through Disney California Adventure. The pace was quite brisk and we covered a little over two miles in 25 minutes. We covered every path in the park except for Buena Vista Street. Since I am 54 years old and had never run or power-walked before, it was a challenge for me to keep the pace, but I stayed ahead of a few people behind me. I'm glad they said the minimum age was 14 because my two boys (ages 11 and 13) would have given up quickly.

Blog Entries

It was my understanding they maintain a 12 min mile pace. I will see if I can find my paperwork for it.

Planning 3 trips at once...

I know I can't do that.

Do you have to stay at one of the Disneyland Hotels, or can anyone take part?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgan View Post
    Do you have to stay at one of the Disneyland Hotels, or can anyone take part?
    It is my understanding it is a perk of staying onsite. You have to call guest services at the hotel and sign up.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I found out that there is a power walk in California Adventure that leaves from the Grand Californian and is for DLR guests. It sounds really cool, but I'm wondering how fast they walk. Has anybody done this?
    I went on the power walk the first day we were there, which was a week ago. I did manage to keep up, but I had to run once in a while to catch up. I'm glad I did it, but I only did it once. It was just a little too fast of a pace for me. Since I was trying so hard to keep up, I didn't really feel like I was able to enjoy the experience of being in CA before opening. I'm still glad that I did it. My daughter had no trouble keeping up, and she did it every morning it was offered.

I went on the power walk the first day we were there, which was a week ago. I did manage to keep up, but I had to run once in a while to catch up. I'm glad I did it, but I only did it once. It was just a little too fast of a pace for me. Since I was trying so hard to keep up, I didn't really feel like I was able to enjoy the experience of being in CA before opening. I'm still glad that I did it. My daughter had no trouble keeping up, and she did it every morning it was offered.
    Thanks to you and to all who've contributed to this thread; the feedback is invaluable in weighing our decision on this.

They try to maintain a 15 minute mile pace, but he stopped a couple of times for people to catch up. He also gave us some pointers on power walking which I'd never heard of. He said to keep your legs close together and take shorter faster steps. It really works. You can do it faster that way than by taking long strides.