Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 WDW Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    However, if I survive this one full marathon, it's in the back of my mind to go for Dopey in 2018, which will be right after a milestone birthday for me and (I think) the 25th anniversary of the WDW marathon.
    You are correct, 2018 will be the 25th WDW Marathon. 2018 will also be the 10th anniversary of the Princess Half as well as the 5th anniversary of the Dopey Challenge, Glass Slipper Challenge, and the Avengers Half. Should be quite the year!

And if you are one to run anniversary races, let me know. I've put together a spreadsheet with dates out through 2041 when the Tinker Bell Half turn 30. Data nerd alert!
    Last edited by RunningFool; 04-06-2014 at 09:11 AM.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

Ok. Made up my mind (I think). 2015 Goofy for the 10th anniversary and back for Dopey in 2018 for the 5th. While it would be fun (in a sick sort of way) to keep Dopey Legacy status, I can't see training for it five years in a row. Given what I'm going through right now with a sports med doc and physical therapy on the knee, it's probably better to wait a few years to tackle it again. And since we know there will be at least one more runDisney half marathon coming sometime soon, I can save the $$$, the time off, and my knee for that.

I guess I can live with being Dopey every five years.

RunningFool

Force is strong in this one
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    If you have the opportunity to do so, it's definitely a 'go for it'. You will regret it if you don't especially if you are planning on being there for any of the races. There were a lot of folks in WDW last January kicking themselves for not giving the Dopey a shot.
    I think I'm going to go for it, courtesy of the airline miles given to me by signing up for a credit card. That should cut my expenses in half or so.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    I think I'm going to go for it, courtesy of the airline miles given to me by signing up for a credit card. That should cut my expenses in half or so.
    Awesome! Can't wait to hear all about your experience.
    RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We officially cancelled our reservation last week. I was having such a hard time with this decision because I really wanted to attempt Mickey. Once I finally cancelled it was like a huge weight was lifted from me. The 26.2 distance will be there when I'm ready, and right now I'm absolutely loving that I'm running just for enjoyment right now and not for training. It's nice to have a couple of months off from the pressure of "I must run XX miles Saturday morning." Also, in canceling my reservation I will be able to help a friend make their Mickey 26.2 a little bit more affordable and magical, it's really a win/win. Except that I won't see said friend cross the finish line, or other friends conquer Dopey.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    We officially cancelled our reservation last week. I was having such a hard time with this decision because I really wanted to attempt Mickey. Once I finally cancelled it was like a huge weight was lifted from me. The 26.2 distance will be there when I'm ready, and right now I'm absolutely loving that I'm running just for enjoyment right now and not for training. It's nice to have a couple of months off from the pressure of "I must run XX miles Saturday morning." Also, in canceling my reservation I will be able to help a friend make their Mickey 26.2 a little bit more affordable and magical, it's really a win/win. Except that I won't see said friend cross the finish line, or other friends conquer Dopey.
    You can ask said friend to sign up for runner tracking with you as one of the recipients. You may not see them cross the finish but you'll share when they do.

And yes, Mickey will be waiting for when you are ready.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    You can ask said friend to sign up for runner tracking with you as one of the recipients. You may not see them cross the finish but you'll share when they do.

And yes, Mickey will be waiting for when you are ready.
    Oh, I'll sign up to track her for sure.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'll sign up to track her for sure.
    Cool! It's a fun way to share, isn't it?

Thomas always tracks me when he doesn't join me in WDW. He just has to remember to put the phone downstairs (or turn of the alert) so my 6:00 a.m. EST trot across the start line doesn't wake him at 3:00 a.m. PST. Had a couple of startled West Coast friends in 2012 who were tracking when I did my first marathon. They won't make that mistake again.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Cool! It's a fun way to share, isn't it?

Thomas always tracks me when he doesn't join me in WDW. He just has to remember to put the phone downstairs (or turn of the alert) so my 6:00 a.m. EST trot across the start line doesn't wake him at 3:00 a.m. PST. Had a couple of startled West Coast friends in 2012 who were tracking when I did my first marathon. They won't make that mistake again.
    You're way too kind. I set up tracking for Dan and I HOPE it wakes him up.

Blog Entries
    You're way too kind. I set up tracking for Dan and I HOPE it wakes him up.
    Kind of a 'wish you were here' moment, eh?
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Kind of a 'wish you were here' moment, eh?
    Yeah, that. Or hey lazy, get your rump up, I'm out there pounding pavement and you're SLEEPING! We're a tad competitive like that.

Blog Entries

Ohhhh my, have you seen the artist rendering of the 10th anniversary Goofy medal yet?

It's a spinner and it's awesome!

Goofy 10th anniversary.jpg

Don't forget early AP / DVC registration opens this Wednesday August 16th @ 12:00 p.m. EST/ 9:00 a.m. PST. General registration opens Tuesday April 22nd @ 12:00 p.m. EST/ 9:00 a.m. PST.

RunningFool

So I've never registered early with DVC, and am hoping someone could help me out with some info. When I log in to the DVC site, I see special registration things for other races, but nothing about WDW marathon yet. Will this be coming soon? Also, can just the person whose name is on the DVC membership register or can you register others? My husband is also going to be running, will I be able to register both of us through the DVC early registration? Thanks!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Ohhhh my, have you seen the artist rendering of the 10th anniversary Goofy medal yet?

It's a spinner and it's awesome!

Goofy 10th anniversary.jpg

Don't forget early AP / DVC registration opens this Wednesday August 16th @ 12:00 p.m. EST/ 9:00 a.m. PST. General registration opens Tuesday April 22nd @ 12:00 p.m. EST/ 9:00 a.m. PST.
    DANGIT. That's cool but I wasn't planning on registering for it. mumblemumble
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    DANGIT. That's cool but I wasn't planning on registering for it. mumblemumble
    They do know how to sucker us in, don't they?
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    They do know how to sucker us in, don't they?
    Oh lordy. I am being weakened in my resolve. Maybe I *will* sign up for Goofy. I just don't have the energy to wake up four days in a row for Dopey, though.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Oh lordy. I am being weakened in my resolve. Maybe I *will* sign up for Goofy. I just don't have the energy to wake up four days in a row for Dopey, though.
    Oh come and join the fun. That 10th anniversary medal is just calling for you to take it home.
    RunningFool

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Doc & I will be there...
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Hey everyone!! Hopefully back to regular following and regular postings (crazy busy) Planning Dopey in '15 again and this time running the 5k and MAYBE 10k with my son!!

Funny it's crazy to think I'm registering for Dopey the day after Boston!!

Here's hoping to a healthy training season for all and may a meet and greet be in our future.

Bob

Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Hey everyone!! Hopefully back to regular following and regular postings (crazy busy) Planning Dopey in '15 again and this time running the 5k and MAYBE 10k with my son!!

Funny it's crazy to think I'm registering for Dopey the day after Boston!!

Here's hoping to a healthy training season for all and may a meet and greet be in our future.

Bob
    Welcome back, Bobcat! Hope you have an incredibly wonderful and healing Boston next week.
    RunningFool

Welcome back, Bobcat! Hope you have an incredibly wonderful and healing Boston next week.
    Thank you! I plan to enjoy every emotional step I take Monday!!

Today was a bit tougher than I thought it would be for me but the tributes were very moving and very well done.
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Help me! Help me! Help me!

How does early AP registration work? What do I need to do? Where do I go?

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Help me! Help me! Help me!

How does early AP registration work? What do I need to do? Where do I go?
    Go to this link but you have to already be logged into your Disneyland.com account for it to work.

When registration opens, a link will appear for each race being held that weekend. Since it'll take you to an active.com link for the actual registration, I found it helpful to already be logged into my active.com account so it could populate a lot of the info for me. Click on the appropriate link(s) to get to the registration page. Make sure to have your credit card handy.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

And don't forget to have the following proof of time information ready as well:

If you believe you will finish the Half Marathon in less than 3:15 hours or the Marathon in less than 6:30 hours, proof of time is required for start corral placement. Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge and Dopey Challenge participants should adhere to Full Marathon proof of time requirements. Please reference the Race Pacing Chart below for finish times and associated pacing per mile.

Proof of time must be provided from a certified race reflecting results after January 1, 2013.
    •Half Marathon - 10K or longer
    •Full Marathon - 10 Miles or longer

A valid proof of time provided at the time of registration must include the following*:
    •Name of Race
    •Distance
    •City
    •State
    •Date
    •Finish time

*For example, Walt Disney World Marathon, 26.2, Orlando, FL, 1/13/13, - 3:35

RunningFool

Blog Entries

And this is interesting... from the runDisney registration website this morning. I'm hoping they are just missing the Dopey Challenge bullet and the 52% capacity is just for the Runner's World Challenge.

Runner's World Challenge - Dopey Challenge - 52% Full
    Goofy's Race and Half Challenge
    Marathon
    Half Marathon
    Walt Disney World 10K
    Family Fun Run 5K
    Family Reunion Breakfast
    ChEAR Squad
    Race Retreat
    Pasta in the Park Party
    runDisney Kids Races

RunningFool