Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 WDW Marathon Weekend

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2015 WDW Marathon Weekend

Pricing is up for the 2015 WDW Marathon Weekend. Anyone planning to attend? Remember, it's the 10th anniversary of the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge!

Dopey Challenge
    $530 by June 24, 2014
    $560 between June 25, 2014 and August 19, 2014
    $590 on or after August 20, 2014

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
    $360 by June 24, 2014
    $380 between June 25, 2014 and August 19, 2014
    $400 on or after August 20, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathon
    $170 by June 24, 2014
    $185 between June 25, 2014 and August 19, 2014
    $200 on or after August 20, 2014

Walt Disney World Half Marathon
    $170 by June 24, 2014
    $185 between June 25, 2014 and August 19, 2014
    $200 on or after August 20, 2014

Walt Disney World 10K
    $105 by June 24, 2014
    $120 between June 25, 2014 and August 19, 2014
    $135 on or after August 20, 2014

Disney Family Fun Run 5K
    $60 per participant by September 23, 2014
    $70 on or after September 24, 2014

runDisney Kids Races
    $15 per child by September 23, 2014
    $20 on or after September 24, 2014

Mickey Mile
    $30 per child by September 23, 2014
    $35 on or after September 24, 2014

Race Retreat Packages
    $120 Half Marathon Package
    $120 Full Marathon Package
    $200 Goofy's Challenge Package

ChEAR Squad Package Pricing:

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge or Dopey Challenge
    Bronze Package No Charge
    Sliver Package $39
    Gold Package $85
    Platinum Package $180

Marathon
    Bronze Package No Charge
    Sliver Package $39
    Gold Package $65
    Platinum Package $120

Half Marathon
    Bronze Package No Charge
    Sliver Package $39
    Gold Package $65
    Platinum Package $120

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Thanks for the pricing info? Any guess as to when early registration for DVC might happen? Haven't seen anything on the DVC member site yet. Since I have a 4hour time difference I usually need to plan in advance to be able to get a jump when registration opens. Hoping to get in for the Dopey. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by akrunner View Post
    Thanks for the pricing info? Any guess as to when early registration for DVC might happen? Haven't seen anything on the DVC member site yet. Since I have a 4hour time difference I usually need to plan in advance to be able to get a jump when registration opens. Hoping to get in for the Dopey. Thanks
    runDisney seems to be running AP and DVC early opens at the same time. Currently the AP site is showing a Wednesday April 16th early registration for WDW Marathon Weekend starting 9:00 a.m. PST / 12:00 p.m. EST.
    RunningFool

I plan on running the half Just a quick little trip sans husband, possibly with my niece but maybe alone. I don't have access to early registration, so I'll have to be ready to pounce on April 22!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think we're going to cancel our hotel ressie and opt out of this weekend. Since I've decided to not do the full my DH isn't going to do any of the events. So, if we aren't racing then I think we won't go at all. I'm really over the half marathon course and I'm not flying all the way to WDW to do a 10k so......

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, bummer.
    But definitely makes sense. But will your DH be able to handle the ribbing from HannahBelle's DH for not doing Dopey?

Cathy

I am out for this year. I will not have the time to train for a full or the goofy or dopey due to my master's work. The cost is a bit prohibitive as well. I would rather do the avengers, wine and dine, Tot again or Everest again. I have something to prove in those last two events. Cost of hotel and flight plus registration while going to school is too much.

Maybe I will do a virtual run of 26.2 yards to my fridge and back in honor of the race.

With my move to CA and limited vacation with my new job, I'm not doing 2015 either. I'm hoping to find another destination race to meet up with my NY running friends.

This still scares me to type it out, but Kevin (Simba0614) and I are in for the full. The grandparents have agreed to babysit that weekend, and DVC reservations are made, so I really have no excuse. We'll probably do the Race Retreat as well.

This will likely be a one-and-done for me (though I initially said that about doing a half, so never say never, but the time-suck involved in training for a full is not likely to be something I'll want to commit to often.) My goal is simply to finish in the upright position on my own two feet. The sheer number of miles scares me, but I'm going to trust in the training plan (probably Higdon Novice 1) to get me there in one piece.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Oh, bummer.
    But definitely makes sense. But will your DH be able to handle the ribbing from HannahBelle's DH for not doing Dopey?
    Yep. He wouldn't even think of doing Dopey if I weren't doing the full. You'll never believe this, but he doesn't even like running. He likes a challenge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    Yep. He wouldn't even think of doing Dopey if I weren't doing the full. You'll never believe this, but he doesn't even like running. He likes a challenge.
    Frankly, the biggest challenge of Dopey is getting up so painfully early four mornings in a row!
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    This still scares me to type it out, but Kevin (Simba0614) and I are in for the full. The grandparents have agreed to babysit that weekend, and DVC reservations are made, so I really have no excuse. We'll probably do the Race Retreat as well.

This will likely be a one-and-done for me (though I initially said that about doing a half, so never say never, but the time-suck involved in training for a full is not likely to be something I'll want to commit to often.) My goal is simply to finish in the upright position on my own two feet. The sheer number of miles scares me, but I'm going to trust in the training plan (probably Higdon Novice 1) to get me there in one piece.
    Excellent! You will find the WDW marathon to be a challenging but wonderful experience. I used Higdon for the first marathon as well as for the Dopey and really loved the programs.

And trust me, you don't ever want to say anything runDisney is 'one and done'. They never are.
    RunningFool

Force is strong in this one

This will be my first Dopey. I sure wish it didn't cost so much though

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Doc is doing Goofy. If our marriage survives his training for Goofy over Christmas.

I'm in for Donald. Even though Donald does nothing for me. And even though I know I'll feel inferior to all the Mickey, Goofy and Dopey medals.

We're going kid-free and staying with friends who already booked DVC for the weekend.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Frankly, the biggest challenge of Dopey is getting up so painfully early four mornings in a row!
    Oh, I know this, and I've told him this.

I still haven't cancelled our DVC reservation because we're trying to figure out alternate vacation plans for this year and right now our back up is looking WAY too expensive. So, like I said, *think* we'll end up canceling but I haven't done so yet. It's mostly me. I won't say absolutely NO WAY to Mickey 2015 until I cancel that hotel reservation or the race sells out.

There's something wrong with me. I don't know why I can't "just say no" to this. Of course I want to see if I can do it one day, but I LOATHE the idea of the time that training will take. Five to six hour training runs during the holiday? TORTURE. Yes, I'm that slow.

Blog Entries
    There's something wrong with me. I don't know why I can't "just say no" to this. Of course I want to see if I can do it one day, but I LOATHE the idea of the time that training will take. Five to six hour training runs during the holiday? TORTURE. Yes, I'm that slow.
    You seem to be a goal person. It sounds like you have done just about all the other runDisney goals you have targeted and it's the last remaining one that is currently sitting just outside of reach. It's hard to just say 'no' and walk away.

I'm slow as well and understand the frustration but look at the positive side of training during the holidays - you will (hopefully) have the benefit of nice, cool weather to be out in.
    RunningFool

Fairest, I can't believe I am about to say this, but there is truth to the argument that the training will affect your holiday. I just finished my toughest week in my full training. I made my family go out and celebrate after my 20 mile run. My DH looked at me and asked if this meant he got his wife back. I don't think it will be this way for future marathons. For me, at least, I obsessed--how will I do on this long run? When the runs didn't go well, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do this M thing. Read--emotional rollercoaster. It's been an amazing experience that I would not trade for the world.

However, it is not an experience I would like to have over (for our family) one of the most special times of the year. Even though Disney races are magical. My suggestion might be to figure out the slowest time of the year for your family and plan your first full around that. Then, when you know you can do it (ie lower anxiety level) run Mickey as your second full. You may just knock it out and do Goofy. That's just my 2 cents.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    However, it is not an experience I would like to have over (for our family) one of the most special times of the year. Even though Disney races are magical. My suggestion might be to figure out the slowest time of the year for your family and plan your first full around that. Then, when you know you can do it (ie lower anxiety level) run Mickey as your second full. You may just knock it out and do Goofy. That's just my 2 cents.
    Yup -- the timing for the WDW Marathon is such that the heart of your training will cut right through the holidays. Thanksgiving in particular, but Christmas somewhat, as well.

Although you aren't talking about training for Dopey (yet), take a look at my MP article we ran yesterday; it addresses a lot of those issues--about training commitment, time commitment, and family support. It's not a decision you can make by yourself.

You KNOW that Disney isn't going to cancel its marquee event. Don't worry yourself over skipping one; there will always be the next event (or the following year).
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

On the holiday training discussion, for me it was great to have a January race to train for (Tinkerbell this year, Mickey next year.) This is the first year in quite a few that I haven't gained weight over the winter (then tried to lose it in the spring and summer.) Plus, my company gives us quite a bit of time off over the holidays, making it a little easier to get the last few long runs in without juggling with work. Maybe it would be different if we still lived in a colder area, or if we tended to travel more during the holidays, but pretty much as long as Santa comes it's all good in my house.

It is hard that there is only one Disney full marathon... I can definitely sympathize with those for whom it wouldn't be good timing. It would make the decision much tougher.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    On the holiday training discussion, for me it was great to have a January race to train for (Tinkerbell this year, Mickey next year.) This is the first year in quite a few that I haven't gained weight over the winter (then tried to lose it in the spring and summer.) Plus, my company gives us quite a bit of time off over the holidays, making it a little easier to get the last few long runs in without juggling with work. Maybe it would be different if we still lived in a colder area, or if we tended to travel more during the holidays, but pretty much as long as Santa comes it's all good in my house.

It is hard that there is only one Disney full marathon... I can definitely sympathize with those for whom it wouldn't be good timing. It would make the decision much tougher.
    That works out great for you!

I don't know if Disney has much incentive to add more full marathons. It's not nearly as popular as the half-marathon distance, but it's a whole lot more work for them to deal with logistically. AND I'm pretty sure they don't want to deal with an additional 13 miles of Anaheim street closures.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    <snip>My suggestion might be to figure out the slowest time of the year for your family and plan your first full around that. Then, when you know you can do it (ie lower anxiety level) run Mickey as your second full. You may just knock it out and do Goofy. That's just my 2 cents.
    Ha! This is funny! Slow times of the year? What are those. LOL

Blog Entries
    Ha! This is funny! Slow times of the year? What are those. LOL
    I can only imagine the challenge of balancing a family, the holidays, work, and Dopey training. I admire those who can successfully juggle the load.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    I can only imagine the challenge of balancing a family, the holidays, work, and Dopey training. I admire those who can successfully juggle the load.
    And for me, I'm always managing a team event. Now, with Avengers, I'm managing DL and Avengers at the same time.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

As an amusing aside, I was poking around online (to try to find my results from the Honolulu Marathon) and discovered an archive of old Usenet posts I used to make on rec.running!!! I actually posted something back in 1994 about the WDW Marathon--how crazy is that? That's 20 years ago!!!!

I just got the brochure in the mail today for the '95 WDW
    marathon--which is good, since I didn't have enough notice (or money)
    for this year's.
    Entries are $50 per person, and they will be limiting it to 12,000
    (4,000 are reserved for international--can we say "Japanese"?) instead
    of the 6,000 this year (although I hear they expanded that to over
    8,000 this year.).
    They have a resort package option again--the Caribbean, Port Orleans
    and Dixie Landings have two-night packages (for a runner and a
    non-athlete) for only $280, with $89 for additional nights (how mch of
    a deal is this?).
    Interesting--you can't run unless you're 18 years old.
    I'll be happy to post or email more info if there's interest.
    --
    Lani Teshima-Miller (tes...@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.edu) "Sea Hare" o/ /_/_/
    UH School of Library & Info Studies. "Whatever the cost of our o|<0_0>------*
    libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant \=^-| |_| |
    nation." -Walter Cronkite [R.a.b.bit says: "Think Ink!"] \_} \_}

Crazy. It's amazing how large each of our digital fingerprints become over the years.