Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: DVC point rentals

DVC point rentals

Thoughts about renting dvc points vs. staying at a moderate hotel in the park?!

And if in favor, what recommendations should I consider?! Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. # ADS

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the wrong area......my apologies :/

DVC point rentals

I just wanted some insight on dvc point rentals vs. staying at a moderate resort.... all opinions are valued please!

If in favor......thoughts about where to go for point rentals?! Many thanks in advance!!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

No worries. Moved

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

There are several companies from whom you can rent. If you want a personal referral, send me a PM.

That being said, I think renting is still quite a bit more than a moderate, at least from what I've seen. How many people? Ages? Etc?

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you looking at a Studio? Or a 1bdrm? Most studio rooms have just one bed and a fold out, whereas a moderate will have two real beds.
    If you don't go with individuals you know, I'd go with an broker-type agency. You may pay a bit more per point, but it does offer a little more protection. But it is still a private transaction, so make sure you know all the amount due dates and cancellation/refund policies of the private transaction. Most likely less 'generous' than Disney's.

Cathy

Thanks Cathy........it would be id say a 2 bdrm villa...2 families. Ive done this before but with a family who's a dvc holder and goes every year, otherwise id use theirs...lol. so you1nthink betyer moderate?!

Should of spell checked first Cathy sorry :/

I have very little risk tolerance. The year we went with my parents, we stayed in a 2bdrm villa on cash. It was very expensive and I do not recommend it unless you can afford it. I considered point rental BUT I knew that I was the one planning the trip and if something did go wrong, I didn't want to be responsible for ruining a vacation with my parents. What I should have done at that point was just buy into DVC, because I'm pretty sure that for what I paid I could have owned at least 1/2 of the points that I needed for that vacation.

If it were just my family and I acknowledged that I might end up in a Motel 6 if something went horribly wrong with the point rental, I would probable go ahead with it. But I personally don't like to extend that risk to the people I am traveling with/rely on me for recommendations. If you do want to use a DVC rental service, I would recommend that the other family is also on board.

Thank you currence, I have considered that if the other family wasnt on board and we were; I would make seperate reservations if in fact we wanted to do this.

We always rent points when we go....We almost bought into DVC but when we did the math of how often we go vs. cost of DVC the points rental won out. We can stay at a studio at the Beach or Boardwalk for less than POR(our favorite moderate) - at least it was less or the same last time we went. We really enjjoy being able to stay at a EPCOT resort - we have rented points and stayed at Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge & Beach Club for a bit more than a week once each, and rented for long weekends a few times at the Boardwalk. Haven't ever had a bad experience. Once we did the math and figured out we could stay at a much nicer place, with studio or full kitchen depending on our needs, for a similar price it seemed a no brainer FOR US. As always there are other factors, to state the obvious, such as free dining & discounts and your families likes & dislikes to consider. For us we find that with each stay we seem to enjoy the amenities at the resort we are staying at more and more, unlike when we first started going to WDW.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

I have rented out my own points out through David's Vaction Rentals (think that's the name). From my side, it was so smooth. He takes a lot of the risk out of it- although there is still some, but he has safeguards to make it pretty unlikely something will go arwy. It is a few dollars more per point for you (and a few less for me) than doing it yourself, but the transaction was so smooth, I think it's worth it.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Thanks Mermaid...... That's the sight that I've heard about...... What kinds of risk are there? Is everything in writing? Do you think it's worth getting a 1 or 2 BR vs a moderate? The other family could be on board depending on the cost but if not than I could do a 1 BR or studio. Do the studios also have washer/dryers as well?

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Studios do not have a washer or a dryer, but you are given some sort of token to use the hotel's facilities for free. We usually stay in a 1BR because we like to have two separate sleeping spaces since we have little ones who go to bed early. A studio is basically a nice hotel room with a kitchenette whereas the 1BR has a full kitchen and sitting area. We also like to have a king bed, which there is in 1BR and up, but in a studio it is a queen and a pull out couch. In some resorts (AKV Kidani stands out) you will have 2 bathrooms in a 1BR and 3 in a 2BR. We are 1BR people, so there would be no question for me to rent points and go that way. We try to stay at Homewood Suites type places when not traveling with DVC. We like our space. If it is just us, then we obviously save the money and get a small room.

There is a small risk that the owner will cancel the reservation before you arrive, thus taking your money. But, with David's the owner gets half the money up front and half the money when the renter checks in. Most people in the world are good, and scammers would be especially unlikely to use a broker site vs just doing it more anonymously. So, yes, the risk is there, but I would consider it very small. Point rentals are also not cancellable (is that a word?), so if that is a possibility at all, renting is probably not the best route.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Quote Originally Posted by ericles View Post
    We always rent points when we go....We almost bought into DVC but when we did the math of how often we go vs. cost of DVC the points rental won out. We can stay at a studio at the Beach or Boardwalk for less than POR(our favorite moderate) - at least it was less or the same last time we went. We really enjjoy being able to stay at a EPCOT resort - we have rented points and stayed at Old Key West, Wilderness Lodge & Beach Club for a bit more than a week once each, and rented for long weekends a few times at the Boardwalk. Haven't ever had a bad experience. Once we did the math and figured out we could stay at a much nicer place, with studio or full kitchen depending on our needs, for a similar price it seemed a no brainer FOR US. As always there are other factors, to state the obvious, such as free dining & discounts and your families likes & dislikes to consider. For us we find that with each stay we seem to enjoy the amenities at the resort we are staying at more and more, unlike when we first started going to WDW.
    Hi, i thought your post was interesting and wanted to know a little bit more info if possible. Do you rent through a third party or do you go through an agency like David's DVC rentals?

I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks Cathy! If we did it with my sister and her family it would be a 2 bedroom. if just my family probably a 1 bedroom. the washer/dryer in the room is a nice perk!

[QUOTE=Mermaid;1842094]Studios do not have a washer or a dryer, but you are given some sort of token to use the hotel's facilities for free. We usually stay in a 1BR because we like to have two separate sleeping spaces since we have little ones who go to bed early. A studio is basically a nice hotel room with a kitchenette whereas the 1BR has a full kitchen and sitting area. We also like to have a king bed, which there is in 1BR and up, but in a studio it is a queen and a pull out couch. In some resorts (AKV Kidani stands out) you will have 2 bathrooms in a 1BR and 3 in a 2BR. We are 1BR people, so there would be no question for me to rent points and go that way. We try to stay at Homewood Suites type places when not traveling with DVC. We like our space. If it is just us, then we obviously save the money and get a small room.

There is a small risk that the owner will cancel the reservation before you arrive, thus taking your money. But, with David's the owner gets half the money up front and half the money when the renter checks in. Most people in the world are good, and scammers would be especially unlikely to use a broker site vs just doing it more anonymously. So, yes, the risk is there, but I would consider it very small. Point rentals are also not cancellable (is that a word?), so if that is a possibility at all, renting is probably not the best route.[/QUOTE

Thanks so much, this info is extremely helpfuil...i agree 1 BR is way to go. my girls are 5 and 3 so seperate sleep areas are more than important!!

Sorry how my replies are showing up, I'm still new to this site and I'm still trying to figure out how it all works!

I'd recommend David's (www.dvcrequest.com)

DVC Mike

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I think for those new to renting, going through a broker is probably the safest best. I did a rental before with a private party and it worked out just fine.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!