Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend – November 14-16, 2014

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do all the Disneyland races have the same capacity, based on distance? (All the 5Ks the same, all the halves the same, etc?)

--Just call me George (as in Curious)

Cathy

2. # ADS

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Do all the Disneyland races have the same capacity, based on distance? (All the 5Ks the same, all the halves the same, etc?)

--Just call me George (as in Curious)
    The HMs do not. Not sure about the others.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    The HMs do not. Not sure about the others.
    Those vary by year and event as well.

I'd like to know what the capacity was for the Avengers races.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I would as well. I actually emailed my rD person a few hours ago asking her what it was.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I would as well. I actually emailed my rD person a few hours ago asking her what it was.
    Let me know if you hear back.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I'm a little disappointed that the 5K sold out so quickly, but I just personally couldn't commit to it yet.

Ironically, when I was volunteering at the Tink expo, my shoes rubbed my toes (for 7 hours) until they turned black. One of them wasn't getting any better, so I finally had it removed last week. There's a reason they yank out toenails as a form for torture.

The doctor said it's a common injury for runners. But seriously, I was in the t-shirt stock room.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Ironically, when I was volunteering at the Tink expo, my shoes rubbed my toes (for 7 hours) until they turned black. One of them wasn't getting any better, so I finally had it removed last week. There's a reason they yank out toenails as a form for torture.
    Welcome to the black toenail club. Actually, I don't have black toenails because I either get the toenail removed altogether, or I've learned to drain them myself. I had to drain my left big toe "nail" on Sunday, in fact. I didn't have a full nail back on it yet but it did have a thinner nail covering, and I completely beat it up running down an 11% grade street on Sunday.

I hope the podiatrist gave you a numbing shot before removing your nail!

Blog Entries

Here's a dumb question....
    Why would you remove it instead of just letting it fall off on it's own? I've had several turn black and fall off and others just fall off without warning. They've never been painful or a hindrance to me. In fact, I have two that will be falling off anytime from the WDW Half and Tink weekend brutalities.

Blog Entries
    Those vary by year and event as well.

The overall weekend will host approx 17,000 participants. They could not confirm the exact HM capacity.

Blog Entries

My apologies. My inbox was full!

Why would you remove it instead of just letting it fall off on it's own? I've had several turn black and fall off and others just fall off without warning. They've never been painful or a hindrance to me. In fact, I have two that will be falling off anytime from the WDW Half and Tink weekend brutalities.
    One was growing put on it's own, the other was getting worse. Sort of graphic explanation:

There was so much blood gathering under it that it was swelling and the whole nail was rubbing, making more blood pool. The purple line of blood was starting to travel below my toe.
    And no, I didn't get a numbing shot. I have a high tolerance for pain, but yeah, it still really, really hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that the 5K sold out so quickly, but I just personally couldn't commit to it yet.

The doctor said it's a common injury for runners. But seriously, I was in the t-shirt stock room.
    That really shouldn't happen with proper fitting shoes. You might consider changing out shoes or lacing your shoes differently.

I've never removed one. Some have come off on their own, but only after long distances like marathons.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

It looks like DH is in for the half. We'll call it peer pressure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    I've never removed one. Some have come off on their own, but only after long distances like marathons.
    I wish it took 26 miles for mine to fall off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFunFamily4 View Post
    It looks like DH is in for the half. We'll call it peer pressure.
    Yes!!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    This may be TMI for some folks so fair warning.

According to WebMD it's OK to leave them as is, unless they get inflamed with too much fluid build-up and it starts to hurt. For me, they were blood blisters that would push the toenail up, and was painful when running, especially when going downhill.

Blog Entries
    This may be TMI for some folks so fair warning.

According to WebMD it's OK to leave them as is, unless they get inflamed with too much fluid build-up and it starts to hurt. For me, they were blood blisters that would push the toenail up, and was painful when running, especially when going downhill.
    I guess mine hadn't gotten that far. I've had them swell, but not be painful.

But I guess we should take this to another thread before we get scolded. 😢 It's about smashing the half, not half smashed toenails. 😂

Blog Entries

So, from my standpoint, I am fielding TONS of emails from people looking for Avengers 5k spots. I'm not sure if this theme is attracting the the beginner runner or if there is some other reason. But, the 5k did sell out much faster than the half marathon so there is definitely a bigger draw to that event.

Thoughts?

I'm a completely new RunDisney participant for this one, even though I'm a MousePlanet semi-veteran. I was drawn in by the combo of finally having a real paying job, which lets me afford things like this, and the Avengers theme. I'm excited to see more Marvel events (I know this is controversial, but I'm a huge fan of the movies, and don't mind the Disney connection as long as it is done thoughtfully and doesn't get rid of classics). I'll be doing the 5k. Now, to work on a costume!

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Jodi!!! When you started running, did you ever think half marathons would be a family affair? That is so totally awesome!!!! (Said like the little kid in Incredibles at the end, since I don't know any Marvel character quotes)
    (Sorry about the growing up thing. I wonder if you stopped celebrating birthdays if they'd just stay little?)
    I certainly didn't think it would, but I love it! DH was not in any shape to participate when I started, and now he has done one more half than I have, and DS used to complain about walking the dogs, now he takes them for a walk, then does another couple of miles on the treadmill.

Well, we broke down and signed up for this event - we do love the Avengers! And my husband actually wanted to run this (normally he only finds out he is signed up to run a race when he gets the email from Active - hehe). So me, my husband Dary (essentialgeek) are in for the half, and we are both in with our son Corey for the 5k!

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Blog Entries
    So, from my standpoint, I am fielding TONS of emails from people looking for Avengers 5k spots. I'm not sure if this theme is attracting the the beginner runner or if there is some other reason. But, the 5k did sell out much faster than the half marathon so there is definitely a bigger draw to that event.

Thoughts?
    I think it is the theme. My cousins all signed up, because of the theme. I had people texting me how to sign up all morning (I was texting back It's sold out!)
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I think it is the theme. My cousins all signed up, because of the theme. I had people texting me how to sign up all morning (I was texting back It's sold out!)
    I think you're right.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think you're right.
    Being a total data nerd, I would so love to get the stats on how many first-time 5kers are signed up for this one. The number is usually pretty high but I'm betting this race blows previous stats out of the water.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Betcha the instant sellout means that we'll be hearing an announcement for a race in January at DL.