Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Renting an ECV scooter in Orlando

Renting an ECV scooter in Orlando

I'm hpping to get some input about renting an ECV in Orlando. I don't want to rent it at Disney Park but want to use it there.

Has anyone rented an ECV and can you tell me about your experience? I need it for touring far distances; I can't walk all day without having pain but I can ride.

I would like to rent an ECV for a week and need one that is transportable. Any suggestions?

Wishing upon a star...

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The good news is that Disney transportation is scooter accessible. So that is not a problem.

There are some Disney-preferred vendors that can drop one off for you at your Disney resort hotel, if you are staying on site. From a park update article from late October 2012:

New policy for third-party scooter rentals

Walt Disney World is changing its policy regarding third-party scooter rentals, starting this Thursday. According to Disney spokeswoman Kathleen Prihoda:

Walt Disney World Resort has selected five preferred vendors that have agreed to rent our resort guests only those Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs) that, based on size and speed, are the safest for use in our theme parks, resort hotels and on our transportation system. Those vendors are Buena Vista, Best Price, C.A.R.E., Apple Mobility and Scooter Bug.

We will recommend the preferred vendors to our guestsand allow them to drop off and pick up their devices at our resort hotels, without the need for guests to be present. All other vendors will have to arrange drop off and pick up directly with guests and will not be able to leave devices unattended.

In other words, Disney will only store scooters for those using one of the five approved providers. Anyone using a non-approved provider (such as Walker Mobility or Scooter Vacations) would need to be present for the delivery and return of the scooters, which might require long periods of time waiting for the provider's truck to arrive, and will create logistics issues for the providers.
    If going with one of those vendors you might want to continue to check to see if they are a preferred vendor and if they will drop off/pick up at the resort without you being there.

Most rental scooters can go all day without the worry of needing to recharge. We rented one for GusMom a few years back and I dont think it ever went below 1/2 charge per day. It was very helpful for her even at the resort since our room was a bit of a walk from the bus stop.

I hope that helps.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I made a reservation with Buena Vista several years ago, and then cancelled it at the last minute. I can't speak to the quality of the scooters, but the people I dealt with all seemed polite and professional.

I would agree with using one of Disney's preferred vendors if you are staying at one of their resorts.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I have used Buena Vista and Apple. Buena Vista has been fantastic. My experience with Apple was a disaster (long story). I will never use Apple again.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

When I rented the scooter for GusMom it was from Walker. I mention that because from what I recall, they offer some of the same scooters as Buena Vista. They are very common scooters, easy to maneuver, comfortable, and like mentioned - held a good charge. Do yourself one favor though - get the insurance on the rental just in case something goes very wrong.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

But GusMan the problem is Walker is not a preferred vendor from the above? If they are not preferred you actually have to set a time to meet them--they can't drop the scooter at bell services so it is waiting for you. Unless Walker is now preferred?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

You are correct about Walker not being a preferred vendor and the other details you provided.
    Was just providing a point of reference to the type and quality of scooter that Buena Vista has - or at least had in the past. Their web site shows some updated models.

Sorry if I was a bit confusing there...

Walker has been a vendor for years at WDW and I know some people swear by their service--but not being a preferred vendor would cause me not to use them. I have to think that either politics or refusal to pay a fee is the reason they are not 'preferred'--which is sad

Blog Entries

I would agree that not being a preferred vendor kinda puts a cloud over the situation. You become a victim to someone elses schedule in the pickup and drop off process.

Choosing a preferred vendor buys you the pickup and drop off from bell services, which is the ultimate way to go.