Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Kennels at ride for service dog

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kennels at ride for service dog

Hi, been on another board and asked this twice and no one has answers in WDW, thought maybe you DL guys may know because I know a lot more dogs are in DL than WDW.

We are taken a 13 day trip in a few weeks. I want to bring my guide dog. Last year when we went it was 7 of us, and my dog so we did doggy switch just like we always do. But on two rides we were offered to use the kennels as the first ones to do so, I said no. This time it will only be DD DGD and me, so it seems like the kennels are a better choice.

1) has anyone tried them?
    2) how does it work, security, safety for my dog.?
    3) are they at entrances, exits, out of the way?
    4) are they clean?
    5) is there a reason why on Disney site it says more information, but when you click nothing happens?

Thanks for any information, it is appreciated.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014

Blog Entries
    1) has anyone tried them?
    2) how does it work, security, safety for my dog.?
    3) are they at entrances, exits, out of the way?
    4) are they clean?
    This is for DL, not WDW... I have not experienced WDW...
    1. No, it is our policy to rider swap. My daughter likens it to leaving a 3yo with strangers while she rides.
    2/3. It is a large wire crate. When you enter the boarding area, the kennel is there. You place the dog in the kennel, close the latch, ride, then return and take the pup with you. They are somewhat out of the way, but they are accessible to people in the disabled lines boarding the rides. I have seen children banging on the crates (there were no dogs in the crate) and the crates are often left unattended. I could see someone possibly opening the gate and letting the pup out. With what we have seen people do in the parks when we are standing WITH our dogs, I won't place our dog in a crate and leave her for 10-15 mins.
    4. They looked clean. They are not cleaned between dogs, but I am sure they are cleaned each night.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I saw one of those at Space Mountain a few months ago and didn't know what it was, until the husband explained to me. I couldn't believe it, and of course, I thought of MDM, that there was no way she was putting her dog in there and then happily leaving to enjoy the ride. I can't believe anyone would do that. Poor puppy.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I saw one of those at Space Mountain a few months ago and didn't know what it was, until the husband explained to me. I couldn't believe it, and of course, I thought of MDM, that there was no way she was putting her dog in there and then happily leaving to enjoy the ride. I can't believe anyone would do that. Poor puppy.
    Same here, but there were the groups who filed the ADA suit wanting Disneyland to supply someone to hold their dogs while the rode, this was the answer that satisfied the courts. Like I compared earlier, it is like traveling with a 2-3yo. I wouldn't hand them off to some strange adult standing by the boarding area or put them in a play pen there. It's our choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Same here, but there were the groups who filed the ADA suit wanting Disneyland to supply someone to hold their dogs while the rode, this was the answer that satisfied the courts. Like I compared earlier, it is like traveling with a 2-3yo. I wouldn't hand them off to some strange adult standing by the boarding area or put them in a play pen there. It's our choice.
    This comparison makes me laugh because at Legoland a lot of the rides have an open lego play area for the kids to play while their parents wait in line. It is apparently also used for child swap if a parent is there with multiple kids. I don't think the kids I saw were 2-3, but I was floored the first time I saw a parent leave a young(ish) child playing at the Lego table to go on the ride with a sibling. To each their own I suppose.

I think I'm glad that this was in response to a lawsuit and not something that Disney on their own thought was a good idea.

I know it's less convenient but does Disney allow service dogs in their on-site kennel for free, or do they need to pay the same rates as pets?

Blog Entries

We've only used the kennel twice and both times paid the price. $20 is cheap to have a safe place for them.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Like I compared earlier, it is like traveling with a 2-3yo. I wouldn't hand them off to some strange adult standing by the boarding area or put them in a play pen there. It's our choice.
    You mean like the people who would be perfectly happy to hand their little child over to the attraction CM to hold/watch while they go on the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    This comparison makes me laugh because at Legoland a lot of the rides have an open lego play area for the kids to play while their parents wait in line. ... I don't think the kids I saw were 2-3, but I was floored the first time I saw a parent leave a young(ish) child playing at the Lego table to go on the ride with a sibling.
    Wait, are there employees there to watch the kids or is it just like one giant outdoor playpen? I could see having an area with Legos as a child swap area so that the parent and the child that's not riding have something to do while they wait for the others, but to just leave a child there on their own, even if there's a CM watching? I cannot imagine.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kennels at ride for service dog

I have nothing to add, other than to confirm I would NOT walk to the kennel fromPort Orleans Riverside Nor from Port Orleans French Quarter. I don't think there's much of a shoulder, let alone sidewalks and crosswalks.

Cathy

Blog Entries

I just PMed with AVP and she has an update on this situation in WDW. It is a little different from DL's way of handling. I will wait to see if she posts or gives me permission to use her info.

Do you think it would work to use rider swap on RSR with a service animal? If you explained that someone from your party will be exiting with the dog once you're on the ride, couldn't they then give a rider swap pass for 2 people to go back and ride together?

Just to clarify, when an FP through the standard queue, there is still a wait. It sounds like the poster's wait was longer due to issues with the service dog, and I'm also sure that people can wait longer for the accessible vehicle, which probably also takes longer to load. But somewhere in one of those long paragraphs there's a comment about the additional wait at the accessible queue, and there is also an additional wait when using an FP, so it's not as unequal as portrayed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Do you think it would work to use rider swap on RSR with a service animal? If you explained that someone from your party will be exiting with the dog once you're on the ride, couldn't they then give a rider swap pass for 2 people to go back and ride together?

Just to clarify, when an FP through the standard queue, there is still a wait. It sounds like the poster's wait was longer due to issues with the service dog, and I'm also sure that people can wait longer for the accessible vehicle, which probably also takes longer to load. But somewhere in one of those long paragraphs there's a comment about the additional wait at the accessible queue, and there is also an additional wait when using an FP, so it's not as unequal as portrayed.
    On RSR when we do it with my daughter's dog, we all 3 go to the HA line. When we get to the front, the CM generally asks "Who's going to wait with the dog?" I raise my hand, and they load my 2 daughters. When the get back, my older daughter gets out of the car, takes the dog, I get in the car (younger daughter doesn't usually even get out!) and off we go...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post

On RSR when we do it with my daughter's dog, we all 3 go to the HA line. When we get to the front, the CM generally asks "Who's going to wait with the dog?" I raise my hand, and they load my 2 daughters. When the get back, my older daughter gets out of the car, takes the dog, I get in the car (younger daughter doesn't usually even get out!) and off we go...

I do not have a dog and have never traveled with a dog but I thought the kennel at WDW was at the TTC? In a seperate far corner of the parking lot? Would it be possible to take a bus/monorail to the TTC and walk over to the kennel? forgive me if I'm totally wrong but I remember seeing the kennel while riding one of the resort buses we got on at TTC. Seems weird that WDW doesn't have any type of transportation to their own kennel but as I have never really thought about it, I don't really know.
    Good luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    I do not have a dog and have never traveled with a dog but I thought the kennel at WDW was at the TTC? In a seperate far corner of the parking lot? Would it be possible to take a bus/monorail to the TTC and walk over to the kennel? forgive me if I'm totally wrong but I remember seeing the kennel while riding one of the resort buses we got on at TTC. Seems weird that WDW doesn't have any type of transportation to their own kennel but as I have never really thought about it, I don't really know.
    Good luck to all.
    They used to have several kennels and one was at TTC. They have now been consolidated. I expect that because Disney does not allow pets on busses they would only "need" transportation for people who wanted to visit their pets but not do a drop off/ pick up.

Obviously service animals are an exception.