Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Kennels at ride for service dog

Kennels at ride for service dog

Hi, been on another board and asked this twice and no one has answers in WDW, thought maybe you DL guys may know because I know a lot more dogs are in DL than WDW.

We are taken a 13 day trip in a few weeks. I want to bring my guide dog. Last year when we went it was 7 of us, and my dog so we did doggy switch just like we always do. But on two rides we were offered to use the kennels as the first ones to do so, I said no. This time it will only be DD DGD and me, so it seems like the kennels are a better choice.

1) has anyone tried them?
    2) how does it work, security, safety for my dog.?
    3) are they at entrances, exits, out of the way?
    4) are they clean?
    5) is there a reason why on Disney site it says more information, but when you click nothing happens?

Thanks for any information, it is appreciated.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    1) has anyone tried them?
    2) how does it work, security, safety for my dog.?
    3) are they at entrances, exits, out of the way?
    4) are they clean?
    This is for DL, not WDW... I have not experienced WDW...
    1. No, it is our policy to rider swap. My daughter likens it to leaving a 3yo with strangers while she rides.
    2/3. It is a large wire crate. When you enter the boarding area, the kennel is there. You place the dog in the kennel, close the latch, ride, then return and take the pup with you. They are somewhat out of the way, but they are accessible to people in the disabled lines boarding the rides. I have seen children banging on the crates (there were no dogs in the crate) and the crates are often left unattended. I could see someone possibly opening the gate and letting the pup out. With what we have seen people do in the parks when we are standing WITH our dogs, I won't place our dog in a crate and leave her for 10-15 mins.
    4. They looked clean. They are not cleaned between dogs, but I am sure they are cleaned each night.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I saw one of those at Space Mountain a few months ago and didn't know what it was, until the husband explained to me. I couldn't believe it, and of course, I thought of MDM, that there was no way she was putting her dog in there and then happily leaving to enjoy the ride. I can't believe anyone would do that. Poor puppy.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I saw one of those at Space Mountain a few months ago and didn't know what it was, until the husband explained to me. I couldn't believe it, and of course, I thought of MDM, that there was no way she was putting her dog in there and then happily leaving to enjoy the ride. I can't believe anyone would do that. Poor puppy.
    Same here, but there were the groups who filed the ADA suit wanting Disneyland to supply someone to hold their dogs while the rode, this was the answer that satisfied the courts. Like I compared earlier, it is like traveling with a 2-3yo. I wouldn't hand them off to some strange adult standing by the boarding area or put them in a play pen there. It's our choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Same here, but there were the groups who filed the ADA suit wanting Disneyland to supply someone to hold their dogs while the rode, this was the answer that satisfied the courts. Like I compared earlier, it is like traveling with a 2-3yo. I wouldn't hand them off to some strange adult standing by the boarding area or put them in a play pen there. It's our choice.
    This comparison makes me laugh because at Legoland a lot of the rides have an open lego play area for the kids to play while their parents wait in line. It is apparently also used for child swap if a parent is there with multiple kids. I don't think the kids I saw were 2-3, but I was floored the first time I saw a parent leave a young(ish) child playing at the Lego table to go on the ride with a sibling. To each their own I suppose.

I think I'm glad that this was in response to a lawsuit and not something that Disney on their own thought was a good idea.

I know it's less convenient but does Disney allow service dogs in their on-site kennel for free, or do they need to pay the same rates as pets?

Blog Entries

We've only used the kennel twice and both times paid the price. $20 is cheap to have a safe place for them.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Like I compared earlier, it is like traveling with a 2-3yo. I wouldn't hand them off to some strange adult standing by the boarding area or put them in a play pen there. It's our choice.
    You mean like the people who would be perfectly happy to hand their little child over to the attraction CM to hold/watch while they go on the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    This comparison makes me laugh because at Legoland a lot of the rides have an open lego play area for the kids to play while their parents wait in line. ... I don't think the kids I saw were 2-3, but I was floored the first time I saw a parent leave a young(ish) child playing at the Lego table to go on the ride with a sibling.
    Wait, are there employees there to watch the kids or is it just like one giant outdoor playpen? I could see having an area with Legos as a child swap area so that the parent and the child that's not riding have something to do while they wait for the others, but to just leave a child there on their own, even if there's a CM watching? I cannot imagine.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

You mean like the people who would be perfectly happy to hand their little child over to the attraction CM to hold/watch while they go on the ride?
    I would die. I think there are some people that would be kind to my dog but I know what people do to my dog when I, a slightly intimidating woman with high awareness of my dogs, am standing there. I can't imagine what they would do when someone that was not as attentive as myself was watching them.
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    I, a slightly intimidating woman
    Whoops! Had to pick myself up off the floor there from where I laughed myself off the couch.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Wait, are there employees there to watch the kids or is it just like one giant outdoor playpen? I could see having an area with Legos as a child swap area so that the parent and the child that's not riding have something to do while they wait for the others, but to just leave a child there on their own, even if there's a CM watching? I cannot imagine.
    Not to derail the thread, but it's just a slightly enclosed play area with lego tables. There is no direct supervision. What I saw was a parent who left the kid(s) with no parental supervision while going on the ride with a child who was not old enough to ride by him/herself and then taking the other child who was also not tall enough once that ride was over. For reference, my somewhat tall child was tall enough to go on most rides by himself at 7, so the kid(s) left behind were younger than that. My jaw may have dropped.

Thanks for your replies, it seems that no one has used them and only speculate, and like the other board it seems you all say your dogs would be stressed, not your words, but it like leaving a two year old, I leave my retired service dog home along all day when I go to work, and so far no one has called PPS (pet protective services. My name leaves his pet dog outside all day every day as he goes off to work so the dog can bark all day long. Also from the answers it seems that no one has a dog that uses a crate, again implied, but my dog knows a crate is to chill out, relax and take a break.

Since no one used it and you have openings, I will tell you the response I got from a cast member at WDW, the crates are left out until used, then the CM takes the crate and you to a place, each ride is different, in his ride he said they took the crate to the control room, and the CM lets you put the dog inside the crate, then they walk you back to the ride with the CM, when ride is over you have a choice for a family member or yourself to follow the CM to the dog and get the dog. The dog is never touched by CM, the dog is in a safe place away from the visitors and riders. This does not sound to bad to me, if it works that way but no one has used it so I don't know, and I am leery to try.

Just for info, I may be different from others who use service animals, if you have w/c and such, I go on all e attractions because I have no physical disability, I am blind. Here is my experience and I am sure why blind persons sought some solution. Cars opened up and like everyone we had a GAC to do it, now a DAS. We got our time to come back in an hour or so. We show the card and walk into FP lane, half way up we get told we have to go to the w/c entrance , no problem we are use to that. We get in a very long line and finally get to the front 20 or 30 minutes later, okay same for w/c, still equal access, or at least as equal as w/c. We get to the front and are told to move over and wait for a CM, and 4 or 5 w/c groups go before a CM comes over and says the dog can't go, dumb, so we tell them we split our group, we never have ridden a ride as a family. So three go and three stay. They get off, we are ready to jump on,no we are sent to the back of the w/c line again and wait another 30 minutes. Get to the front and again sent to the side and told to wait. Again 4 or 5 w/c groups go, and a CM tells us dog can't go, dumb. We say okay and say which three are going and then get on. So for a regular person the ride was a one hour line. For a w/c person the line was an hour wait elsewhere and 20 to 30 minutes in FP. For us it was a 3 hour line each and ever time and each and every ride. On top of that Disney is a family park and definitely took a class of persons with guide dogs and made it so they could never ride a e attraction ride as a family. For us when we are all together as a family this would not be at all an efficient way but we at least can get family time and is okay. But with only two adults it is really inefficient, also it makes all of us stand around for hours, they offer us no seats during that wait times, they offer no faster solution, and they make us feel like a non family not a happy family. If I wanted to spend time without my family, I could do so without spending 6 to 8 thousand dollars.

As for the kennels, in wdw the kennel is not at the park it is across the street from POR. We have used the DLR kennels for an hour or two each day so we can all go on rides as a family, and it is well worth the $20 and they are great I think. And sometimes my dog needs respite. At wdw I would need to hire a taxi each day to get the dog there, since I am blind I do not drive. I then have to pay, it is $32 a day at wdw, then get another taxi to pick the dog up. I then need to have a human guide all day.

So my reason for asking about the kennels for the 8 rides we need it for, for this trip is because I need to figure out before I go if I leave the dog at home, or take him. I need to know if I is worth missing all those rides, after paying $6000, or having to have a human guide for 13 days. Or paying another $500 for the kennels, to be used and the headache of how to get there and back to the hotel. It has nothing to do with if I would leave a two year old child alone in an amusement park unattended. Because I don't believe leaving a dog in a secure kennel, out of the way, with a CM near is the same as leaving a two year old alone while I go on a ride with my husband.

If anyone has actually used the service I would love to hear your experience. I am greatful to the CM who told me what he saw as he saw it work. I still don't have enough information to make an informed decision, and until people use it they should not just speculate, opinions are okay, but referring to a service dog as equal to a two year old child, not exactly helpful. First of all no two year old can guide me like my service dog. No two year old has gone through $40,000 worth of training. And no two year old dog has ever been taking away by CPS for being left home alone all day.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but it's just a slightly enclosed play area with lego tables. There is no direct supervision. What I saw was a parent who left the kid(s) with no parental supervision while going on the ride with a child who was not old enough to ride by him/herself and then taking the other child who was also not tall enough once that ride was over. For reference, my somewhat tall child was tall enough to go on most rides by himself at 7, so the kid(s) left behind were younger than that. My jaw may have dropped.
    That is completely unbelievable. I would think that Legoland is also setting themselves up for liability if something happens to any of those kids while they're left there unsupervised, even if there are signs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilesmt View Post
    I go on all e attractions because I have no physical disability, I am blind.
    I would think that blindness is a physical disability.

I would think that blindness is a physical disability.
    Blindness is a sensory disability, like hearing, it is a sense not a physical or mobility disability. It does not restrict my movement, I can walk, run, and take gym class, all physical abilities. I can not see.

Disney treats blindness as a joke and the answers to my questions got me mad because you people treated it as a joke or very insensitive. I'm sorry if I was in a bad mood but I do stand by my thoughts, I is not perfect but the kennels at attraction for the blind or others do make sense. And the lawsuit does say the dogs need to be in a secure place so just because you see the kennels does not mean that is where they actually put them.

When I say disney treats blindness as a joke, here is a cup,e conversations I had this week with them. I called on my room at there resorts. I asked for an accommodation and told them my needs. A room that is a straight line to the main building, even if it is a walk it has to be a very simple walking path. Almost impossible for Disney. I told them I would be coming back to the room by myself a lot so I need to go thru main building and get a straight path to a room.

After a long conversation, I paid extra for a different hotel. Both moderate but side was different. Then I had to pay extra for a garden view (for a blind person I have to pay $30 extra for something I do not want or need a view, w/c people do not have to pay extra for this). So now my room will cost me $60 more per night. Okay. But the straight path is a problem for Disney. They said all our rooms have access paths, I asked what that meant to them, they said you can walk them all. I said sorry access path means a w/c can travel on them with no problem, I have a problem, I get disoriented when I have to turn and turn and turn to get somewhere then I can get back, I said going to the main building would not be much of a problem just follow the noise, but going back to my room is. So then they said, fine we found you a room for your blindness, I said great, they said yes it is in the furthest building, and it is all visual sense, so lights will flash if there is a fire alarm or if there isa phone call. I said can you explain how that will help a blind person not to hear and definitely not to see the fire alarm. She said are you saying you do not want the room, I said yes mame, I would rather not take a room that will give disney a huge lawsuit, if I die in a fire because I could not see the lights flashing. So Disney can handle w/c accommodations, Disney can handle hearing accommodations, Disney can make all paths w/c accessible, they can do a lot, but they can not find a single room in two different resorts, and the room can be far away and a bit of a walk, all I want is a walk that has only one or two turns so I can make it independently back to my room, even if that is in the last building I don't care.

My second conversation, was about the dog kennels. I called, went thru 4 people no one had an answer. I was told three times dogs where not allow on property, yeah I get it Disney does not train phone staff, and it becomes my responsibility to do so. I then get a person who goes thru a whole conversation saying dogs can't go on... I said sir I need to know about the kennels we don't have kennels at rides. I said on your web site you do, it says additional info, press here, and a pop up comes up to call the number I called. I waited for him to pull p the web site and he said, oh hold on. Then comes back that he can not find any information on kennels, but if they do have them that CM could not touch the dog. Then he also informed me, now understand we just read the information on service dogs in disneys web site, and he informs me that I just need to leave the dog at home because the resorts will not allow dogs in them.

Then I come home yesterday and read two reports, one referring to my dog as a child and how it is abuse to leave the. In a safe kennel unattended and the other saying I will stress out a dog putting it in a kennel and his service dog can not be put in kennels because his behaviors get bad, not my service dog she is trained.

So again sorry if I came off hard, this is not my first choice but for 8 rides I think if it is safe it can be done with a well qualified, certified service dog, not one who is passed off as one or one who misbehaves. I wished I lived closer, I would go, try it out and it out and see how it works before traveling for 13 days and then having to pay again for a kennel on site, not close to the parks but 20 minutes away on roads that you can not walk, and in a place that discourages cars and have buses but have no buses to the kennels. Either way, for a place that wins awards for disabled, it does poorly for blindness, I have to pay $60 a night extra, just to be in a resort that may accommodate me, but they can not say for sure that they will or can even after I pay the difference. I have to have a family member so I can go on rides, by myself blind, with no one telling me what is happening because I have only one other adult with me, and she has to hold my dog, and it will take us three hours if we can even get a DAS, which everyone is saying no to blind persons. And I have to pay $32 and a taxi to get to the kennels. If w/c or autism where told they had to pay an extra $100 a night plus not be able to ride with the family, I think there would be an uproar, but blind just take it because there are not to many of us.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your replies, it seems that no one has used them and only speculate, and like the other board it seems you all say your dogs would be stressed, not your words, but it like leaving a two year old, I leave my retired service dog home along all day when I go to work, and so far no one has called PPS (pet protective services. My name leaves his pet dog outside all day every day as he goes off to work so the dog can bark all day long. Also from the answers it seems that no one has a dog that uses a crate, again implied, but my dog knows a crate is to chill out, relax and take a break.
    To clarify, our service dogs stays home in her crate with no problems. She will also stay in our hotel room in her crate without a problem. Our dogs love their crates, that is not an issue. If we were to use the service, the dog would be quite comfortable, it is my daughter who would not be.

Since no one used it and you have openings, I will tell you the response I got from a cast member at WDW, the crates are left out until used, then the CM takes the crate and you to a place, each ride is different, in his ride he said they took the crate to the control room, and the CM lets you put the dog inside the crate, then they walk you back to the ride with the CM, when ride is over you have a choice for a family member or yourself to follow the CM to the dog and get the dog. The dog is never touched by CM, the dog is in a safe place away from the visitors and riders. This does not sound to bad to me, if it works that way but no one has used it so I don't know, and I am leery to try.
    This is NOT how it works at Disneyland. The kennels at Disneyland are a wire crate measuring about 36" x 26" x 24", and probably weighs 25-30 lbs with a pan bottom. I have seen them in use. At Grizzley, the kennel is located at the entrance point to where they stop the ride. This is where the line is. As you approach is it on the right side. There is no CM on this side of the gate. You place your dog in this kennel. I consider this one one of the safer ones for the dogs as it is at least away from the regular queue and exit. Only the disabled groups will see/have access to it. On SPace Mountain, the kennel is located at the wait point for the disabled where the regular queue and disabled queue meets. On Splash Mountain, it is located where you exit off the logs. At Indy it is near the elevator. At Star Tours it is on the exit side of the ships.

No two year old has gone through $40,000 worth of training. And no two year old dog has ever been taking away by CPS for being left home alone all day.
    We totally agree with you. My daughter's dog is invaluable. I cannot imagine going on Grizzley and find someone had put some food through the crate to the pup, my daughter would go nuts. (We've had people offer suckers, ice cream, throw popcorn at the dogs, so dropping something in the crate is nothing. We've also had a dog attacked at Disneyland by a child, so I don't put anything past anyone. I've had people tell me since my daughter brings her dog in public, it is fair game for her children to pet and play with. Oh believe me, we got into it.) If someone opened the gate, without knowing the commands, I can pretty much say our dog would remain in the crate, so I wouldn't worry about this dog leaving. But think about a dog that would exit a crate without a command. It is a quick trot to the main walkway. I know how they crates are used at DIsneyland, and it is NOT how they described it to you. Because of how we KNOW they are used, we won't use them.

Blog Entries
    Disney treats blindness as a joke and the answers to my questions got me mad because you people treated it as a joke or very insensitive. I'm sorry if I was in a bad mood but I do stand by my thoughts, I is not perfect but the kennels at attraction for the blind or others do make sense. And the lawsuit does say the dogs need to be in a secure place so just because you see the kennels does not mean that is where they actually put them.
    At Disneyland, they do not move the crates. Because we have seen them in use, and they are accessible to other guests, and are not clearly monitored by CMs, we will opt not to use them. I don't appreciate your assuming that because we will not use the crates, our dogs are not crate trained, or will stress out having to use a crate. Or that our dogs are not appropriately trained. Neither of the above is true. I have MANY people on here who have met my daughter's service dog, and the numerous dogs we have raised over the past 12 years. They can tell you if ANY of the pups we have raised will are considered poorly behaved or stressed. That said, I will not leave my daughter's dog in an exposed crate where any guest could potentially open the crate or feed the dog or tease the dog.

I work very hard to advocate for service dog owners. I have on more than one occasion used our ADA attorney to assist someone who was having an issue with service dog access from hotels in the Disneyland area, to a private car service in WDW. While we have not and will not use the crates provided by Disneyland, I do know how they work. It is because I do know how they work that we will not use them. This is our family's opinion. You asked the question "How safe are they?" I do not feel they are safe/secure. It is only my opinion.

We have had vastly different experiences than you with regards to rides. I don't understand why. If we approach Space Mountain, before we can enter the FP line, we are stopped and told we need to go to the handicap line. I cannot see how you got halfway down the line, as the person checking FPs times/DAS cards should have turned you around before you entered. We then go to the proper boarding area, where we take the dog with us to the boarding area when it is our turn. No one stays up top. My daughters ride while I hold the dog (standing by the kennel, so I can see how close people can get to the dog), when my daughters come off the ride, my younger daughter rides a second time with me. On rides like Big Thunder, Splash, Matterhorn, TOT, Soarin', Star Tours as she is exiting the ride, I take her place on the ride. On Indy and Screamin, I wait by the elevator. When she takes the dog, I go up the elevator and cross over for my turn. On those 2, it may take an additional 5 mins. I have also been loaded from the exit side on those 2 rides. But I have NEVER had a ride take 3 hours.

We have been investigating a trip to WDW. My experience calling regarding rooms with a service dog is very different from yours. I can see an issue where they may not have a straight line room for you, but I have never had anyone tell me "We don't allow service dogs" when I have asked questions. I am disappointed they do not have transportation to the kennels and will be checking on that this morning.

You asked for information. No one has stepped up to tell you how it works at WDW. I can only tell you what I know of DL and how it works there. I have been told by other service dog owners it is the same in WDW. I have not seen it personally, so you could be right that they have kennels in the open to be seen, then they pick up the 25-30 lb kennel and move it to a private room while you are on the ride, then move it back after, but that doesn't happen at DL. I have pictures somewhere. I will post when I find them, or take more my next trip.

Thank you malcom10t. I was not directly relating to you, but I did assume from your first response something and I should have clarified. I assumed you have not seen then used because you stated you would never use them, which is each owners choice. And I did make an attempt to apologize since dealing with Disney this month is very frustrating. It was a last minute 13 day vacation thrown together and I keep hitting road blocks.

So let me clarify a few things also, I was separated in the line, we got our DAS fast pass time to come back to cars, unlike others with a disability we can not then got on other rides, we have to just wait. We went thru the FP line and then was separated to the w/c line for boarding. Just like people with w/c, so far no problem, except the equal is not equal because other disabilities would be on the ride by now because they went straight in Line WBA we went to w/c boarding but okay. We wait another 20 to 30 minutes because only two cars are for w/c use, so it moves slower. When it is our turn is when we hit a problem, they pull us out of line and tell us to wait, taking the next several w/c people who where behind us and allowing them to go and then and I am sorry for saying this this way but out of frustration I can not think of a better way. Then like idiots they come and tell us the dog can not go, REALLY, I did not get a PHD for stupidity. Do you really have to tell me the dog can not go. So we say fine we will go three and three. And three of us go. This ordeal just wasted twenty more minutes. Then when we get off we assume the next group gets to go, but no, we have even asked and they tell us we have to get at the end of the w/c line all over again. And wait another 20 to 30 minutes. Then when finally up to front, it is all different people working so again we are told to stand aside and wait, so again someone can tell us the dog can not go, and again 5 w/c groups went before us as we stood over to the side to be told the dog can not go. Then the other three go. So we wait one hour for our fast pass time, or our DAS fast pass time I should say. We then have to get in the w/c line that moves slower, and not just walk up. We then get pulled out of that line and told to wait, not once but twice and by the time we are all done the ordeal is 3 hours for the one ride. And I won't even go into the time the ride stopped in the middle and no one but the 6 year old I was with was able to direct a blind person out of the ride and over all the props.this happened every time we rode it for the 5 days we were in Disney. We basically have the same thing at toy story but it is a little faster. I don't go on screaming. So I don't know about that one. At Indy, I try to go only in the morning, because I am told I have to use the w/c even though the line is accessible, I don't want to use it because it is a very good line to have for tactile information and I don't want to miss that. So if I go first thing they don't seem to have as much of an issue if I bring the dog, but again it is not on for three people and then on for three people, we usually have to wait. We also do space differently, we use fast passes, because we leave the dog outside and just walk on with human guide, because the w/c line is so crowded, but also because the space is so limited down in the on off area and so many w/c the paws have been run over so, for her safety we use fast pass and split the group outside. Splash I have done so many different ways, because it really depends on the happenings and the crowds. This has been our experience with DLR, and a lot at WDW, we have had some of the same issues at trek, soaring at both parks, and a few others.

I hear what you are saying, but it was taking the comments from both boards, this board starts saying that my dog is a child, which seems insensitive. My dog is valuable, and in many ways more important to me than any two year old, but at the same time if I was ever in a situation, save an infant or save my dog, I would save the infant. On the other board which agreed and I apologies some, they where referring to the kennels as a place to stress dogs out. My dog like your is trained, and my dog like yours knows commands and also knows what a crate is for, they have been trained to view than as a relax, chill out time and are happy for them. The way you explain it is different, than wdw, and I still need answers that don't seem to be out there. Those inferring that I am somehow bad for wanting to use it is unfair. I need answers to make an informed decision. No I don't want my dog unsecured, left for others to feed, or poked at, and I have an option I said, one leave her at home, hard on me needing a human guide. Leave her in on site kennels, that are not close or fees able, or use the kennels at rides, if save and secure. I feel attacked by asking, what are they like and everyone saying I wouldn't leave a two year old alone so why my dog, a dog being left alone for a five minute ride in a secured kennel, out of the way is not at all like leaving a two year old alone for five minutes in Disney. I am looking for educated relivent conversation about a dog not a two year old. Yes he is valuable and no I won't put him in harm, I misunderstood when you said yo did not use then, you did not say you saw them used, so I thought you had not. Not that anything else you said was wrong, it was after that that things went off onto children.

As for the rooms, just to clarify again, it was not the person who got us the room who had a problem, it was the person who was suppose to have the answers about the rides and kennels that had the problems. And the person who I called to get the right accommodation for room location. But to make the reservation and ask that the service dog be in the room I had no problem.

If you find out any information on the main kennel and taxis over to it, I would love to know. It is across from POR and we are staying pofq, and thought we could walk but no way, it is a no walk since there are no cross walks, no lights and such even though it is about half a mile. And I am sorry if you thought I meant you. It was just everyone and all the negative as if I don't want or love my dog or I don't baby her and treat her like a live person.

If the case you explain is the way it is, my dog will probably stay home. Once again because Disney even after a suit is unable to give reasonable accommodations at wdw, at dlr I use the main kennel for a few hours each day, total three and go with family on main rides he she can't go on. That is not an option at wdw. If the kennels are as bad as you say that is not at all what Disney agreed to in the law suit, they were to be placed in a secured location, away from crowds and people. So Disney has not followed the letter of the contract but I am not sure how long they had to put it in place so we may be under the timeframe by a bit. On top of that, I am hearing that no blind people are getting DAS cards, so no accommodations there. I can ask for front row seating, but even with a GAC I never go it even if it said to, and I am not sure what front row seating would do for a blind person, a visually impaired yes, blind no. I can ask for a straight line access to a room but Disney will not give it. So as I say, out of luck with all accommodations at Disney. Lesson is if you can pick your disability don't pick blindness.

Blog Entries
    I hear what you are saying, but it was taking the comments from both boards, this board starts saying that my dog is a child, which seems insensitive.
    To clarify my statement, I said I would not leave my 3yo granddaughter with a stranger while I rode something, and I would not hand off the dog to a stranger while I rode. Both are precious to me. I do consider it similar. Just like I would consider boarding the dog at the day kennel (where she would be in a kennel, supervised by a CM) similar to using Pinnochio's Workshop for my granddaughter. If the crates were in a protected area, with supervision by a CM, we might consider it.

To clarify my statement, I said I would not leave my 3yo granddaughter with a stranger while I rode something, and I would not hand off the dog to a stranger while I rode. Both are precious to me. I do consider it similar. Just like I would consider boarding the dog at the day kennel (where she would be in a kennel, supervised by a CM) similar to using Pinnochio's Workshop for my granddaughter. If the crates were in a protected area, with supervision by a CM, we might consider it.

I understand, and that is my point sort of, evidentially in dlr the crates are not in a secure place and are heavy. My understanding but I am not sure in wdw they are portable and light weight, and a CM said it was in a secure place but I do not know for sure. So I have to consider a huge decision, take the dog and not go on those 8 rides, leave the dog at home, or take the dog with the thought of the kennels and paying and doing taxi service, because I am not willing to put the dog in a place that is not secure. To me if it is like the cast member said I would consider it, but either there are two distinct differences between the disneys, or a CM who does not quiet understand the question or what these dogs mean to us just doesn't quite get it. Either way, I think it was a good thought, and I do see the needs, I wish wdw could at least for service animals allow a secure place at the front of the park like in Disneyland. Drop dog off for an hour or two go on the rides and then pick him her up, I would not even mind paying for it, my last service dog loved it at dlr but he loved the kennels also, he loved going there each day for a few hours. It gave us an option to be able to do big rides to do them as a family, to have the dog in a safe place, and for me to only need a human guide for a few hours. People don't understand how hard it is to use a human guide, even if.they mean well they have me bump into things and such, my dog would never.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Kennels at ride for service dog

I have nothing to add, other than to confirm I would NOT walk to the kennel fromPort Orleans Riverside Nor from Port Orleans French Quarter. I don't think there's much of a shoulder, let alone sidewalks and crosswalks.

Cathy

Blog Entries

I just PMed with AVP and she has an update on this situation in WDW. It is a little different from DL's way of handling. I will wait to see if she posts or gives me permission to use her info.

Do you think it would work to use rider swap on RSR with a service animal? If you explained that someone from your party will be exiting with the dog once you're on the ride, couldn't they then give a rider swap pass for 2 people to go back and ride together?

Just to clarify, when an FP through the standard queue, there is still a wait. It sounds like the poster's wait was longer due to issues with the service dog, and I'm also sure that people can wait longer for the accessible vehicle, which probably also takes longer to load. But somewhere in one of those long paragraphs there's a comment about the additional wait at the accessible queue, and there is also an additional wait when using an FP, so it's not as unequal as portrayed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    Do you think it would work to use rider swap on RSR with a service animal? If you explained that someone from your party will be exiting with the dog once you're on the ride, couldn't they then give a rider swap pass for 2 people to go back and ride together?

Just to clarify, when an FP through the standard queue, there is still a wait. It sounds like the poster's wait was longer due to issues with the service dog, and I'm also sure that people can wait longer for the accessible vehicle, which probably also takes longer to load. But somewhere in one of those long paragraphs there's a comment about the additional wait at the accessible queue, and there is also an additional wait when using an FP, so it's not as unequal as portrayed.
    On RSR when we do it with my daughter's dog, we all 3 go to the HA line. When we get to the front, the CM generally asks "Who's going to wait with the dog?" I raise my hand, and they load my 2 daughters. When the get back, my older daughter gets out of the car, takes the dog, I get in the car (younger daughter doesn't usually even get out!) and off we go...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post

On RSR when we do it with my daughter's dog, we all 3 go to the HA line. When we get to the front, the CM generally asks "Who's going to wait with the dog?" I raise my hand, and they load my 2 daughters. When the get back, my older daughter gets out of the car, takes the dog, I get in the car (younger daughter doesn't usually even get out!) and off we go...

I do not have a dog and have never traveled with a dog but I thought the kennel at WDW was at the TTC? In a seperate far corner of the parking lot? Would it be possible to take a bus/monorail to the TTC and walk over to the kennel? forgive me if I'm totally wrong but I remember seeing the kennel while riding one of the resort buses we got on at TTC. Seems weird that WDW doesn't have any type of transportation to their own kennel but as I have never really thought about it, I don't really know.
    Good luck to all.

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    I do not have a dog and have never traveled with a dog but I thought the kennel at WDW was at the TTC? In a seperate far corner of the parking lot? Would it be possible to take a bus/monorail to the TTC and walk over to the kennel? forgive me if I'm totally wrong but I remember seeing the kennel while riding one of the resort buses we got on at TTC. Seems weird that WDW doesn't have any type of transportation to their own kennel but as I have never really thought about it, I don't really know.
    Good luck to all.
    They used to have several kennels and one was at TTC. They have now been consolidated. I expect that because Disney does not allow pets on busses they would only "need" transportation for people who wanted to visit their pets but not do a drop off/ pick up.

Obviously service animals are an exception.