Quantcast Parenting in the Parks: Babies on the Seas
  Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World | User Reviews | Travel

Thread: Parenting in the Parks: Babies on the Seas

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Parenting in the Parks: Babies on the Seas

Babies on the Seas by Adrienne Krock

We asked the Parenting Panel if they would take a baby on a Disney Cruise Line vacation. Here's what they had to say.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Looking for questions about a family of 5. With three kids we've not been able to locate any discounts that would help with the cost of the cruise. With 5 of us, we have to get a huge suite. Any tips would be helpful as we would love to do this in the very near future.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013

Happy Birthday Baby!
    MousePad Subscriber

Are your kids youngish? On the Magic and the Wonder they have a category called Deluxe family oceanview, which has a fold down Murphy bed, so it sleeps 5 and has a little extra space. These are not quite as pricey as the suites. In retrospect, this would have been great for my two younger kids too since I had a pack and play which took up all of the floor space in my Verandah room.

If your kids are older, it might be cheaper to get two room than a suite. You can get connecting rooms or if they are old enough- you can also get a oceanview or verandah room for Mom and Dad and an inside (cheaper) room for the kids across the hall. You have to put one adult on each room for booking purposes, but Disney doesn't care where you actually sleep. I would feel comfortable with connecting rooms with school age kids and the across the hall scenario with 12ish and up, but YMMV!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Happy Birthday Baby!
    MousePad Subscriber

Also- cruise prices are at their lowest on Opening Day and go up from there. You can save thousands of dollars by booking on or as close as possible to opening day. My upcoming two day cruise has doubled in price since I booked it a year ago. They have released through April (?) 2015 right now. It was around this time last year they released the rest of the year- so the rest of 2015 should be released soon. Watch the cruise boards and there should be a post when it is announced. There can be last minute deals, but I am not sure there ever are on rooms made for 5 and if you snag a last minute deal on 2 rooms, you are not guaranteed specific rooms- so you could be far apart- so that wouldn't really work.

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    Also- cruise prices are at their lowest on Opening Day and go up from there. You can save thousands of dollars by booking on or as close as possible to opening day. My upcoming two day cruise has doubled in price since I booked it a year ago. They have released through April (?) 2015 right now. It was around this time last year they released the rest of the year- so the rest of 2015 should be released soon. Watch the cruise boards and there should be a post when it is announced. There can be last minute deals, but I am not sure there ever are on rooms made for 5 and if you snag a last minute deal on 2 rooms, you are not guaranteed specific rooms- so you could be far apart- so that wouldn't really work.
    The other thing I've heard is that if you book early on, then as they get closer to selling out, they offer incentives to upgrade your original booking so that they're discounting the less expensive rooms last minute, not the more expensive rooms? Did I hear that right? (And this is why I love my travel agent because when I do go to book a cruise, I'm going to ask HER to do all this thinking for me!)
    ISO: A photo of a bridge at a fair.
    Parenting in the Parks
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.
    A birth certificate shows you were born. A death certificate shows you died. A photo album shows that you lived!

Would we have taken our triplets when they were infants? Absolutely not. While our kids are all healthy, I would never want to be isolated from real medical care in case of an emergency. We didn't take the triplets on a cruise until they were close to eight years old. Even then, none of us had a particularly great time. Just not our style.

As for how to take a family of five? GRANDPARENTS! Invite the grandparents along. Then you can sleep three to one room and four to the other. It takes the pressure off when you want to have a little down time, too. Before we became DVC members, that was the best way to stay in "value" resorts at WDW, too.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Going on the "Discounts" theme for a moment...
    I think the best way to look at costs for a DCL trip is to simply book with a good TA when you are ready to make the commitment.
    I say that because when a trip opens up at first, you may not know if you can really travel during that time. So its a guess.
    If you wait too long to try to get some discounts, you may run into other logistic issues.

Other than that, you are going to find a lot of discounts. In fact, most TA's and and Disney will quote you around the same price, comparing apples to apples. What makes a difference is that if you use a TA, you might get some onboard discounts. Those discounts may vary. If you are a Disney Visa card holder, you can get an additional onboard credit as well.

On the shameless plug side, I book my cruises with one of the MousePlanet sponsors and have been very happy with the quality of service and overall value.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    Blog Entries

We took DD on the Disney Fantasy last October when she was 8 months old and she LOVED the nursery - and so did we. We were able to take her in the splash zone - and she usually slept through dinner. She sat in on some of the shows, and we took her to meet Mickey. It was not difficult to get around (although we determined we like the charm of the classic ships vs. the newer ships)

We did a non-Disney cruise in january which was not nearly as fun - DD is a great traveler but the amenities for babies were lacking.

We are booked on the Magic in October after a few days in WDW and are really looking forward to it (she will be 20 months old).

We never considered NOT cruising with a baby.

Hakuna Matata
    Cast Place Editor, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) and Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.
    Are you ready for another round of cards? Are you game?