Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2014 Disneyland Half Marathon and 10K

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2014 Disneyland Half Marathon and 10K

Team MousePlanet is back for our 5th Cheer Station at a Disneyland Resort runDisney event, and we're looking for YOU!

Due to requests from runners who participated in the 10K last year, we are going to look at supporting both the 10K and Half Marathon events. The 10K station will be a cheer-only station, and the half marathon station will be the full oranges / licorice / sponges / silly signs extravaganza from last year.

Details and locations are a long way off, simply because we don't have finalized course maps yet, but I encourage those of you who want to help out to add your name here and keep watching for more details. We'll need help with sign making, orange slicing, and of course along the course during the events.

We will provide everything for the runners, all you need to bring is yourself and a great attitude! Hope you can join us!

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Headless Chicken

Don't forget to order the wedge blade for the orange slicer.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm planning on cheering for all three races and can help with prep as needed, especially since I'm not doing any of the races.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that I have some TMM'ers that are not running Sunday that plan on being cheer and support staff. They're a load of fun (probably because I met them here) and might be willing to help you.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

I will be running the 10K and helping at the station for the half marathon.

Headless Chicken

This is going to be the most epic cheer station ever!

I'm in! As soon as I decided NOT to run this event, my first thought was, "but I'll go cheer!"

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I can't believe we're only a month (25 days) out from this race. There have been some changes to what I posted back in January. Several people who were planning to staff a new cheer station for the 10K race were able to register for that event through Team Muscle Makers, so we either need other Padders to volunteer to run that station, or we need to scale back to the Half Marathon only.

10K Cheer Station [pending]

Here's the map of the 10K course. The ideal location is at the corner of Harbor and Disney Way, right before the course returns to Disney property. This is a good location because it's a short walk back to the finish line, and it's before the mile 2 mark so you're only active for about an hour.

There IS room to put up our race signs in the Harbor median, and in the planters between the sidewalk and the curb. If someone wants to volunteer to run that station and deal with the signs, that would be awesome. You're best access to drop off and pick up the signs will be via the 7-11 parking lot before the city closes the street for the race, and again after they reopen the road.

Half Marathon Cheer and Support Station

Here's the link to the Half Marathon course. Once again, we will be along Katella Blvd between mile markers 6 & 7. I'll have exact details in a few days, but we hope to be in the same location as before.

This is the full orange / licorice / sponges / silly signs extravaganza that Team MousePlanet has become known for. The response to our 2013 support station was overwhelming, and I am so looking forward to being back on the course to support as many runners as possible.

There is a lot of prep that goes into this, and we can use volunteers to help with three specific tasks.

1) Making signs. Our personalized race signs were a huge hit last year, and we're doing them again. I have a few ideas on where and when to meet - might I be able to interest a group in meeting at the Anaheim Packing House on Thursday, 8/28 to make them? They have a Community Room we can reserve, which would give us space to work.

2) Cutting oranges, preparing sponges, filling ice chests and packing the cars. This will happen at my house on Saturday 8/30 AFTER the 10K.

3) CHEERING! We need lots of people to show up at Disney-dark-hundred to help set up the tent, put out the signs, hand out the oranges and cheer their hearts out. The more the merrier!

If you're interested in any/all of the above, please reply to this post so we can make firm plans.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Headless Chicken

Ken and I are available for the cheer station on the 31st. We have plans after the 10K, lasting through that evening, so won't be able to come by for slice n' pack. Of course, we will bring tables and canopies Sunday morning. We also have two large coolers we can get to Tony prior to the 30th for the oranges. Let me know if you want us to grab the oranges from the farmer's market earlier that week, so we can get those to you ahead of time as well.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in for item 3. Have plans after the 10k, otherwise would help with 2, too.

Re the signs for the 10k: I'm thinking since it's before mile 2 it's still going to fairly congested, so it may be very hard to see the signs. But cheering would wonderful!

Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From those of us participating in the weekend events, a BIG THANK YOU to AVP and everyone helping at the MousePlanet Cheer Station. Seeing your smiling faces is always a wonderful boost and an orange slice is a bit of heaven about that time in the half.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I'm in but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm in for.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I'll be at the cheer station for the half marathon, and can help with prep on Saturday afternoon if needed.

Have to take DH to the airport Saturday morning, so I can't cheer for the 10K, but I can be there for the prep work and for the station on Sunday.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm in for the cheer station on Sunday morning.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I'm in to help with whatever you need---but suspect that actually being AT the cheer stations may be logistically difficult for me. But certainly can help with sign-making and prep.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any update on time/place for prep work on Saturday?

I'm in for sign making on Thursday if that's still happening. I'm not sure about Sunday yet, because I'd like to see what it's like to not drive down to Anaheim on a 3 day weekend for a change.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Update:

Sign making, sponge cutting and sign making will be at my house Saturday afternoon from 3-6ish. I have a tiny house, so we'll work in my shaded back patio. If you're planning to help, please PM me for the address.

Thanks!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Sign making, sponge cutting and sign making will be at my house Saturday afternoon from 3-6ish.
    I'm guessing you mean orange cutting in there somewhere?

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

PM'd. Also is there anything you need us to bring (knives, scissors, markers, etc.)?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I'm guessing you mean orange cutting in there somewhere?
    Ooops, yes. The sponges are already cut. Next are the oranges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    PM'd. Also is there anything you need us to bring (knives, scissors, markers, etc.)?
    I told Jodi we were good on knives, but I hadn't thought about markers. IF you already have jumbo sharpies, those would be great. The ones we had from last year apparently died.

AVP

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Also, heads up that Ball Road will close at 5:15 am for the race. If you are planning to help at the cheer station, you should plan to be parked by 5:00 a.m. at the latest. Early birds are welcome, because there is a lot to set up. We'll be there by 4:30 a.m. (I can't believe I just typed those words...)

Ball is not scheduled to reopen until 8am. If you need to get back to the DLR before that, you should park on East Street, ACROSS Ball from Ganhal. When you need to leave, you can get back to the Resort by going North on East Street, West on Santa Ana Street, and then South on Manchester back to the Mickey and Friends parking structure flyover. It's 4 driving miles, and should take about 10-15 minutes to get to the flyover. How long it takes to park is anyone's guess.

Have I mentioned how freaking excited I am about this?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Also, heads up that Ball Road will close at 5:15 am for the race. If you are planning to help at the cheer station, you should plan to be parked by 5:00 a.m. at the latest. Early birds are welcome, because there is a lot to set up. We'll be there by 4:30 a.m. (I can't believe I just typed those words...)

Ball is not scheduled to reopen until 8am. If you need to get back to the DLR before that, you should park on East Street, ACROSS Ball from Ganhal. When you need to leave, you can get back to the Resort by going North on East Street, West on Santa Ana Street, and then South on Manchester back to the Mickey and Friends parking structure flyover. It's 4 driving miles, and should take about 10-15 minutes to get to the flyover. How long it takes to park is anyone's guess.
    USUALLY, they only close Ball going east bound. *Usually* you can still drive west bound to return to the resort.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

And you're going to do it two days in a row. This upsets my delicate sensibilities. I may faint. (Maybe I should loosen my corset...)