Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Old Key West

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

Old Key West

Not having stayed at OKW before, I wonder what are the pros/cons of getting a room at OKW near the Hospitality House? Why is the DVC site asking for my preference? Is that the only place where the bus stops?

ETA: on another planning site I found this - "There are also now two booking categories. For guests who wish to be in the Preferred Buildings close to the Hospitality House, request buildings 11, 12, 13, 14 and 23, 24, 25, 26 when you make your reservation. There is currently no extra charge for villas in these locations but you need to book the "near Hospitality House" booking category to get them.

NOTE: Buildings 62, 63 and 64 are the only resort buildings with elevators. Building 64 does not have a parking lot."

My question is, why are these buildings "preferred"?

Karin

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think because OKW is so spread out and there is the high demand for being near the main building and the like, it just makes it easier to make it's own category. I know we booked a room in this category so we shall see how well it works out. We stayed right adjacent to the main building once and it was fantastic. Such a great location.

As for pros and cons, well, the main building is right near most of the dining as well as a bus stop, a DTD boat, and the feature pool. Not to mental rentals, arcade, as well as the Community hall. It really is the main hub of activity.

Cons... well, the park bus stop is the last bus stop before exiting the resort grounds. So when you arrive from a park, it can be a longer ride within the resort before you get to your stop. However, as a pro, to go to a park, once you board, you exit, and then experience what I think are the shortest bus trips to any of the parks.

Other than that, I dont think there are many cons, to be honest.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Sorry to hijack this thread but I've just booked a stay here for 2015 and have been looking at the map. Booking from the UK website you can't pick the option of preferred location but I guess we can send requests in. Perhaps they are going to put all us Brits in a bundle together ex pat style?!

Anyway I did have a question. I've been looking at the map and thought the Turtle Pond area looks good. We will have a kitchen so the need to be near drinks refills doesn't exist and we will have a car so the bus situation isn't a big deal. We do like a nice quiet pool though. I thought this area looked good for us. How far is it from here to the main facilities and which building would get us in best vicinity to that lovely looking quiet pool please?

Can I also say I am ridiculously excited about the thought of staying at WDW with space for us all. And my own washing machine. How fab

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)