Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 10K report [Early? sweep at the Tinker Bell 10K]

I guess the thing that upset me most was not getting a response from the cast members I spoke to. We are all used to them being so friendly even in their more harried moments. Looking back I wonder if they were just called in for crowd control and not given any more idea than the rest of us about what was going on. It would have been nice to hear that. Sometimes " I don't know" is the answer.
    You can't fault people for getting upset at being held stationary, surrounded by security and given no information.

2. # ADS

That story linked above about the balloon ladies indicated that at least at the WDW events, it is a pretty small number of people who are actually swept. That makes sense and makes it easy to deal with those people by putting them on buses/vans/etc. Disney certainly has the right to sweep people if they need to, but it seems they really should have a plan on what to do with them once they have been swept. I really hope that once Disney figures out what happened they issue something publicly.

Headless Chicken

When I checked city road closure schedules on Friday night, I noticed they were all until 8am for both the 10K and the Half. That seemed like way too short a time to me. When I ran the half, I noticed the signs were changed to 10am. I'm wondering if someone with Disney and/or the city screwed up, and didn't have time to change the closure times before the 10K, thus the mass sweep right before you were to enter the city streets?

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    When I checked city road closure schedules on Friday night, I noticed they were all until 8am for both the 10K and the Half.
    Hmmm, interesting. I didn't check the schedule myself, but the husband checked maybe a week in advance, and he said that Harbor was scheduled to reopen at 9am on Sunday. That was a consideration for me because we were staying at a hotel on Harbor and I wanted to know when I could make it back to the hotel after helping at MP's cheering station. For the DL 1/2, we were done much earlier so Harbor hadn't reopened yet, and I ended up driving around for about an hour trying to get back to my hotel.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Balloon ladies are only at the Walt Disney World races, not Disneyland.

The flags would have been on the mile marker signs.
    So, from my own
    back of the pack/let's take pictures with everyone and everything!/I need to use the restrooms" experience, I swear there were balloon people in the Disneyland races (or at least in last year's Tinkerbell Half)... I didn't see them in the Tink half this year, and I didn't run the 10k, so I can't say if they had them this year or not.

I did my first half at last year's Tinkerbell Half (2013), and I saw the balloon people pass us in Tomorrowland, and figured I could catch up to them. By the time I got backstage after Splash Mountain, there were bikers telling me how far behind pace I was (only a few minutes), other bikers telling us how far ahead the balloon people were (I could see them), and then other bikers saying we'd be swept at ESPN Zone if we didn't catch up to the pacers. Needless to say, we started sprinting, passed the balloon people near La Brea bakery, and then kept on running as fast as we could to get to the ESPN Zone for good measure. We didn't see them again for the rest of that race, and that made me feel a lot more at ease, but I was still nervous that they would catch up to us.

In last year's Princess, the balloon lady caught up to us while we were taking pictures (again) with a few miles left. But, she was also caught up in the same bottlenecks that affected us from passing her. I had seen the buses that were a little ways behind us, but I think they were trying to let some more people through before stopping the rest of the pack.

I feel bad for the people that aren't aware that there are pacing requirements, and are confused about why they need to pick up the pace or else their race day will end. I also feel bad in reading about what happened in the 10k this year. Hopefully runDisney will learn from this experience and figure it out for the next race.
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have not run any events in my life yet (i was until a recent injury) but from all of the descriptions it sure sounds like someone from Disneyland Park control decided that the course had to be "closed" and the gate shut. Not necessarily the runDisney staff. I can only imagine that someone in DCA Ops was concerned about who knows (mixing guests? buses and vans?, etc). It does not include the rude behavior of some of the staff on the course - but the gate issue, in my opinion, could only be the Park management saying "that's enough, we need to run our day, here are your medals, thanks"... Of course, its just an opinion.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

I know at DL half last year there were pacers (not rD or Clif, a running club I believe) that had balloons tied to themselves as markers for their groups to see. I spoke with the 3 hour person while on the course and she said they had several of them out there. So even though there are balloon people on the course they don't always represent the same thing.

It has now been a week. To my knowledge, most of us who emailed have yet to get a reply. The reply I got was a form letter that sounded like their lawyer wrote it. Those of us who called were mostly told, oh my goodness, let me forward your complaint....and then nothing. One runner was told that Run Disney is looking at the mass of emails and call data and trying to " come up with something".
    And now they are embroiled in another issue, DL APs had access to early registration for August but other AP holders were blocked through much of the early registration.

Does anybody see a pattern?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear View Post
    And now they are embroiled in another issue, DL APs had access to early registration for August but other AP holders were blocked through much of the early registration.

Did you see that they're having a second AP Early Registration opportunity? The morning official registration opens, I thought I read that another EB AP registration will open earlier.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I finally got hold of a supervisor at Run Disney. She stated that they were working with their SAG staff to produce a better experience for racers. She said she was sorry we had a bad experience and invited us to " come back and see how we have improved" ... at my own expense.
    The Tinkerbell weekend cost each of us in excess of $500 in hotels and meals, plus entry fees and theme park entry. That is way too expensive for me just to " see how we've improved". I told her I now felt like I had a $120 shirt I would be embarrassed to wear.

I think I am done with Disney races. Race weekends are busy. I would rather enjoy the Parks at other times and do my races locally and, importantly, much less expensively.

So, if you are fast in a crowded course, want to see backstage and have unusual character photos, go for it. If a 15 minute mile is the best you can do, maybe just plan on getting swept and get those photos

Wish I had known, we ran past all the photo ops and were so busy not getting tripped we hardly saw backstage. They don't always enforce the 16 minute mile, but they can.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    When I checked city road closure schedules on Friday night, I noticed they were all until 8am for both the 10K and the Half. That seemed like way too short a time to me. When I ran the half, I noticed the signs were changed to 10am. I'm wondering if someone with Disney and/or the city screwed up, and didn't have time to change the closure times before the 10K, thus the mass sweep right before you were to enter the city streets?
    I checked the road closures with rD on Friday, and Katella was scheduled for reopening at 830am. If the last corral left at 630am, they should be done by 830a.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear View Post

Actually, the issue was they only allocated so many slots for the AP holders, and the 10K sold out of the early slots. (You could sign up for the 5K or Half still. Only the 10K sold out early.)

I also had a daughter in the D corral, I *think* she was in the area of Fairest. Her primary focus (she is a slow runner) was primarily not getting swept. I was concerned when I saw she had spent several minutes back by the Circle D, and I was afraid she was taking pics. But now I guess she was just in the crowd shuffle.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Actually, the issue was they only allocated so many slots for the AP holders, and the 10K sold out of the early slots. (You could sign up for the 5K or Half still. Only the 10K sold out early.)

I also had a daughter in the D corral, I *think* she was in the area of Fairest. Her primary focus (she is a slow runner) was primarily not getting swept. I was concerned when I saw she had spent several minutes back by the Circle D, and I was afraid she was taking pics. But now I guess she was just in the crowd shuffle.
    She was near me, but I think she actually started a little bit ahead of me. I saw her and cstephens in the corrals and I went over to talk to them for a bit before we started. As we started to move forward, they were able to make their way a bit farther ahead of me before the start. I crossed the start at 6:21, so I suspect she was within a minute of me. According to my RunKeeper I crossed through the gates at 7:25, just five minutes before they shut them. We did stop in Fantasyland to use the restroom and we stopped for several photos (just our own pics, no character lines). At the point that we left DCA I had a feeling that there were still a few team members behind me. As far as I know, all of our team members made it through before they closed the gates. Once we left DLR property it was smooth sailing and we were able to make up quite a bit of time. At the finish we were right behind cstephens, but I didn't see your daughter.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

10K report [Early? sweep at the Tinker Bell 10K]

Does anyone know (I can probably look it up if not,) at what mile marker was the gate?

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know (I can probably look it up if not,) at what mile marker was the gate?
    4. I know youngest crossed the Esplanade at 7:05am. If she only had 25 mins to run all of DCA, that is close timing for her. She sent me a text when she exited the gate from DCA, and I am trying to get the time on it.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    4. I know youngest crossed the Esplanade at 7:05am. If she only had 25 mins to run all of DCA, that is close timing for her. She sent me a text when she exited the gate from DCA, and I am trying to get the time on it.
    Do you have the timestamp on Youngest's 5K split?

Blog Entries

Adk - You saw Youngest go by. Were there many runners after her?

Blog Entries
    Do you have the timestamp on Youngest's 5K split?
    54:00 even... My guess is that would have put her at the PP area at 7:14. That would have put her on Harbor about 7:25 give or take a couple minutes. She crossed the finish line at about 8:10am. Based on her run times, she would hit the 4 mile marker at 730a almost exactly. (The pace she ran her 5K split is exactly what she ran the whole 10K at..)
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 01-30-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Blog Entries

She was probably a good distance in front of us at that time. We passed a lot of people between the time we passed AdK and the finish.

Blog Entries

It was just after the 4 mile marker. I *think* 4 was on Hollywood Blvd.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    It was just after the 4 mile marker. I *think* 4 was on Hollywood Blvd.
    According to the Run Disney Map, the mile 4 marker was just as you exited onto Harbor. I am about 98% sure she hit the marker at 730a.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rund...201410KMap.pdf

4 was right before IHOP, because I had talked with Adrienne about them maybe cheering right after the mile 4 marker, so I was looking out for them there.

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

My sister took pictures of all the mile markers and I just went back to look at them. You can see the sign for Tony Roma's in the background, so I'd assume it was about 100 feet before that restaurant.

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

Blog Entries

Just asked her about what she saw heard around the gate. When she was passing the gate, they said she was 2 mins in front of the pacer.

Blog Entries

Interesting. I thought we hit four before we left DLR property. I'm sure I'm wrong though.