Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Renew or not? And Costco PH value twd AP purchase?

Renew or not? And Costco PH value twd AP purchase?

We currently have Deluxe APs that expire Mother's Day. DH doesn't really want to renew. We are eligible to buy the military PHs ($129 for 3 day PH) which, if we go 9 days, it's cheaper than the APs (entry price only...not factoring in merch and food discounts). At 10-12 days, it's about the same price as the APs. More than 12 days, the AP is cheaper. My DD and I have gone more than that already, but DH and DS haven't. (This is all taking the chance that the military promo gets renewed when it expires at the end of September.)

We're going to DL at the end of May/beginning of June for a convention. I was looking at the Costco Travel deals (4th night free at Good Neighbor hotels, multi-day PHs plus extras) and thinking that if we went that route we could upgrade the Costco package PHs to APs.

I'm assuming the Costco PHs will have a discounted value. Does anyone know if that's correct? And, if so, how much are they worth towards the purchase of an AP?

Also, if my passes expire on May 11, and we purchase new ones effective May 29, will the new expiration date be May 29, or will it revert back to May 11?

Thanks,
    Michele

2. # ADS

If you purchase new, you have a new expiration date.

I'm not sure about the Costco ones but we just upgraded our AAA discount PHs to APs and they gave us the full $260 toward them instead of the $247 we paid.

I'm not sure about the upgrading, but just wanted to throw out another thought. I have an AP, and we got one for our older daughter because we go more often (younger daughter is still under 3). My husband just uses the military park hopper when he goes with us. It works out to be the most cost effective way to do it for our family, since he doesn't go as often and we don't need multiple passes for parking/discounts. I have the Premium, so I get us "free" parking and I get us the discounts on food/merchandise. Just wanted to throw it out there that not everyone needs to have an AP and those who don't go as often can use the military hoppers, and that may make it more cost effective for your family as well. Hopefully they continue that military park hoppers because we really like this set-up!

Elizabeth & Matt, established 2008 *Katie born 2/2010 *Josie born 2/2012 *Jayson born 3/2015
    AP holder 2010-2016, Disneyland fan since the '80s
    WDW *1984 (or maybe 1983), *2013

Also, as a California resident, you qualify for the payment plan if it helps by spreading it out.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Also, as a California resident, you qualify for the payment plan if it helps by spreading it out.
    Oh yes, we do this!
    Elizabeth & Matt, established 2008 *Katie born 2/2010 *Josie born 2/2012 *Jayson born 3/2015
    AP holder 2010-2016, Disneyland fan since the '80s
    WDW *1984 (or maybe 1983), *2013

You get the gate value of the hoppers at the time you purchase the package.

If you purchase new, you have a new expiration date.
    Yes, this is the way it is supposed to work. OP, if you do this, be sure to confirm your expiration date of your new pass with the CM at the booth before you walk away. We ran into a situation a couple years back that when we used new AP vouchers after our old APs had expired, the system dated our new AP expiration date as if we had renewed the old APs. We needed a supervisor to come override and correct.

Very true to always check. Our last AP purchase, it dated mine the day I bought it instead of the next day when I scanned it. DH decided to upgrade his hopper on our 2nd day and the computer gave him that day instead of the day before.

Very true to always check. Our last AP purchase, it dated mine the day I bought it instead of the next day when I scanned it.
    That's bad! I'm glad you caught it and got it fixed.

My last AP purchase used discounted vouchers purchased before the summer price increase. The CM had to call a lead and then they both looked at the computer screen and seemed confused as to the best course of action. I finally said (unprompted) that I wanted an annual pass that was valid one year from [today's] date." Even though I thought that was a no-brainer, they acted as though that clarified things for them and it didn't take too long after that.

I think they may have been trying to retroactively renew my (recently) expired pass and couldn't because even with the renewal discount the value of the voucher was less than the current prices. But since my voucher had not yet expired, there really wasn't any reason to do a renewal.

Good advise to always check the dates!

OT: I do wish that the annual passes still had expiration dates on them. I get not wanting to have to reprint them every year but I think it creates more issues: 1) Can I get a free reprint once per year if I lose my card? Ever? 2) more people at the gates who believe that their cards are still valid even after the expiration date (especially if Disney screwed up the expiration date to begin with and the person didn't realize it at the time). I've done this with the old cards since my kids don't have the same expiration date but when the pass has the expiration date printed on them it is a whole lot easier to back down. 3) will the DTD stores still offer AP discounts when they don't have anyway of knowing whether the card is still valid?

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    OT: I do wish that the annual passes still had expiration dates on them. I get not wanting to have to reprint them every year but I think it creates more issues: 1) Can I get a free reprint once per year if I lose my card? Ever? 2) more people at the gates who believe that their cards are still valid even after the expiration date (especially if Disney screwed up the expiration date to begin with and the person didn't realize it at the time). I've done this with the old cards since my kids don't have the same expiration date but when the pass has the expiration date printed on them it is a whole lot easier to back down. 3) will the DTD stores still offer AP discounts when they don't have anyway of knowing whether the card is still valid?
    Yes to all that! I hate not having the expiration date on them anymore.
    Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!