Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Car rental vs. Happy Limo

Car rental vs. Happy Limo

I am so close to our Disney vacation I can taste the Dole whip

On Jan. 25th my family (2 adults, 2 children) flies from San Diego to MCO. We arrive late (11PM). As of now.. the plan is to get a hotel with free transfer from MCO to more than likely a Hampton Inn. That being said, we are debating on what is best for our family.. a rental car or Happy Limo's town car transfer.

Jan. 26th drive (rental or transfer) to PC boarding the Disney Dream for 4 nights.
    Jan. 30th arrive back in port.. and drive (rental or transfer) to Shades Of Green Resort.
    Jan. 30-Feb. 3rd - taking in all of WDW.

So all of the above being said.. it seems to be a wash $ wise. I was quoted $353- from Happy Limo with the military discount for transfers from MCO to PC to SOG to MCO with a grocery stop, and all tolls. A car rental as of this AM on United.com I can rent a car from 1-26 thru 2-3 for $260, which ideally looks cheaper.. but with parking for 4 nights at PC and parking at SOG, it all ends up basically within $10-.

So my question is this For those that have rented a car, is it worth it? We are not on any dinning plan, and look to be as cost effective with dinner as possible (i.e.: possibly drive to a Subway etc.)
    But I have heard we a family of 4 can eat relatively cheap at Downtown Disney at say Earl of Sandwich too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    also if anyone has personal reviews of Happy limo.. good or bad, I'll take those too!

TIA!

Laughter is America's most important export ~ Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Personally, I would just do the limo. Just remember to include some gratuity funds as a part of your estimate. Also make sure your car rental estimate includes all taxes, fees, etc. They can add up.

For that first night, get a free transfer to the hotel... then take free transfer back to MCO... then see what the cost is for getting DCL transfers to PC.
    (Or just say at the hotel airport and avoid transfers that first night...)
    Going from PC to SoG, I am not sure if you can do DCL transfers, so a limo might be your best bet.

There are a few ways of doing this - just be sure to include total costs including any tips, fees, etc. if cost is going to be a strong basis for your decision.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Personally, I would just do the limo. Just remember to include some gratuity funds as a part of your estimate. Also make sure your car rental estimate includes all taxes, fees, etc. They can add up.

For that first night, get a free transfer to the hotel... then take free transfer back to MCO... then see what the cost is for getting DCL transfers to PC.
    (Or just say at the hotel airport and avoid transfers that first night...)
    Going from PC to SoG, I am not sure if you can do DCL transfers, so a limo might be your best bet.

There are a few ways of doing this - just be sure to include total costs including any tips, fees, etc. if cost is going to be a strong basis for your decision.

Thanks GusMan!!
    I'm leaning towards the transfers.. DH is leaning towards the car rental.. I want relaxation and no worries.. he wants the option to venture elsewhere if we want. ;-) ha.
    DME will not do transfers to SOG, and SOG does not have transfers. I looked at the DCL transfer.. but with $70- per adult and I believe it was $35 or $40- per kiddo.. I didn't feel it was worth it.
    Thanks again for your input!

Blog Entries

No worries...
    As you can see, you have some options and you can mix and match options to meet your needs as well as your budget.

Personally, this is how I would do it:
    Stay at the airport hotel that night. Might be a bit more, but the last thing you want that late at night is worrying about getting to a hotel... you are going to want a good nights rest.
    Use DCL transportation from the Airport to Port. It will be a bit cheaper than a towncar/limo.
    Get a limo/towncar for Port to SoG.
    Get a limo/towncar for SoG back to airport. (unless they have some sort of shuttle service to airport since they dont do DME.)

But like I said... you have options.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like GusMan's plan, unless you're getting a deal from Happy Limo for doing all three with them.

Driving, to me, is an added stress, so I'd totally go with Happy Limo over renting a car. Though I do know some people drop off the car at PC rental locations and then the rental company has a shuttle to the ship. I don't know if you can pick up there, if you wanted to do DCL from Airport to PC and then rental car for the 'land' portion? Then you'd only have to pay for parking at SOG and not at the Port....

(Or go with what I'd do right now and just do Happy Limo because that's just getting to way way to many variable!)

Cathy

Thanks GusMan & Drice88

As both of you have mentioned.. I do indeed have options.. I simply feel I'm running low on time ;-)

Maybe I'll look into one way from MCO to PC.. didn't think of that one ;-)

Drice88.. like you mentioned, the possibility of renting a car from MCO to PC (one way) has been a thought too. I quoted a rental for $56- one way.. which actually seems like a pretty good deal.

ahhh… I need to figure this out! it's the one last thing that has not been arranged ;-)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And one REALLY nice thing about Florida - they don't have a 'surcharge' for just renting one way! There's actually a state law that prevents it!

Ok, with all this great advice we've given you - do you have room in your luggage for me???
    (I'm more on the way then you are, GusMan!)

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    (I'm more on the way then you are, GusMan!)
    Sigh... you are right....

You two are great!!!

So I'm now leaning towards renting a car… with all the hustle and bustle of disembarking the ship and wanting to get to SOG ASAP so we can hit the parks.. I'm leaning towards just jumping in a car and taking off.
    I read some horrid stories about drivers being late.. or you being stuck in customs for a couple of hours and the driver assumes you are a no-show so they leave.. guess you can't use your cell phone while in customs?

So my mission today.. book a car!

Gusman.. you mentioned the hotel in MCO. Have you stayed there? The reason I had planned on staying at Hampton or the like is because we are Hilton Honors members (it's all about the points right? ;-)

Blog Entries

When it comes to customs, I think it takes me longer to find all my bags than to go through the actual customs lines. Then again, we are not big shoppers and the process has always been easy. I dont think limo drivers at the port are going to drive away without at least confirming with you these days - they cant afford the bad press. Just talk it out with them first to make sure all your questions are answered.

Being a fellow Honors member, I know what you mean about the points bit. People say the hotel airport is really nice. Being that you would only be there to sleep, shower, then hit the DCL bus, it might be worth "going rogue" for a night. In essence, staying there makes things simpler.

For one trip, I did stay at an Embassy the night before the cruise. (Free on points of course.) I came in real late, had to get the rental (which was a pain) Got to the hotel even later... had to get up early to get back to the airport... to catch the DCL bus. Next time Im in that situation, Ill just stay at the airport and spend more time relaxing.

Good to know GusMan.. We aren't big buyers either on cruises we've taken previously.

The other nice thing about the possibility of getting a car is we won't have to stay close to the airport, we could hit the road a bit and see where we end up.. Cocoa Beach perhaps :-) Seeing how we will still be on "west coast time".
    I do have to remind myself too, that people are more likely to write a bad review than a good one..

So… incase you were biting your nails with anticipation on what I would decide… (HAHA)

I ended up booking the Hampton Inn (Gateway).. they had a great military discount..and it doesn't hurt that they serve breakfast ;-)
    And after looking up tons of car rentals (Who knew that car rental prices went up like airfare when you get closer to the date) I couldn't find anything under $400- well.. with a company that I had heard of -)
    So a quick call to Happy Limo.. and now we are booked to arrive in style :-)

Blog Entries

Sounds like a great plan! Have a great time - you will super enjoy it!

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you got a great plan going, have a lot of fun. It took me forever and I was trying to find the towncar company we used which was Tiffany Towncar. If you eat at Mangino's at SoG ask for Daniel he was real super and made sure everything was great for us.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Thanks DwarfPlanet!
    I looked at Tiffany too, I'm hoping that I will be happy with Happy Limo ;-)
    Daniel @ Magino's.. I'll look for him.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had a really great experience with Happy Limo last year. They were prompt and courteous, they gave us a great rate and they had snacks and juice boxes in the limo for the boys when they arrived. When they rolled out the red carpet for us J&P's jaws hit the deck. We will use them again next cruise.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So Ppx2 how did the trip go?

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

So.. after living through post-Disney depression (I know you can all relate) haha. Another wards.. sorry it's taken forever to get back to the boards..
    We had a fabulous trip! I can not rave enough about the cruise!! Even the hubby (who's not the Disney fanatic that I am) said.. WOW, Disney knows how to do it right! We were on the Dream for 4 nights, and it was phenomenal!!
    Once we got off the ship and made our way to WDW, we were ready to walk off all the food we ate on the ship.. I highly recommend doing the cruise..then WDW. ;-) Of course the day we began our WDW adventure was when the crazy winter storm hit Florida.. and it was 37 degrees our first day in the parks.. needless to say, we were freezing. Having just come from fabulous Castaway Cay's 78 degrees. We started at MGM (Sorry, Hollywood ;-) we hit up all the rides we could muster. I was bummed the backlot tour was under construction, for I wanted the girls to see it. But they were just as happy to ride Tower of Terror 5 times..in a row! Yes, the cold weather kept many away. a blessing in disguise. We were ready for dinner.. which became a bit of drama for us. We were unaware that you could not take a bus from the studios to Downtown.. so we waited and waited and waited… to no avail. Finally we walked from the studios to the Boardwalk, looking for dinner..and turned a corner.. and said.. "Well now we're at EPCOT…" as we all know.. EPCOT = perfect place for dinner ;-) so we ventured to the UK, grabbed a couple of pints..and dug into our fish & chips inside Rose & Crown.
    The entire trips consisted of much the same.. start at one park, end up at EPCOT. another wards.. we LOVE EPCOT. I was so happy that even the girls (aged 7 & 9) were all about EPCOT as much as we were. On the last day we did the studios that morning for more Tower of Terror riding.. 4 times that day., and then ventured to the Magic Kingdom around 1PM which was also Super Bowl Sunday.. we were hopeful that many would leave around game time, but no such luck. I'm not sure if it's because we go to Disneyland every year or not, but my girls were not all that impressed with the Magic Kingdom. The new Fantasyland looked amazing. We rode the typical must-ride rides, and took advantage of the "magic hours" at the end of the evening (though it was 11PM) the girls asked "Is EPCOT still open, can we go there now?" haha.
    Once we got home we asked the girls what their favorite parts were, and 1. was the cruise, 2. was EPCOT, 3. Animal Kingdom, 4. Hollywood Studios, and 5. the Magic Kingdom. The girls even said.. if we go back, we'd be ok not going to the Magic Kingdom again… WOW who are these kiddos? haha!!

Ultimately… amazing trip!! Again… so sorry to have not gotten back on the boards until now!

Visiting WDW Since 1982

I guess I'm not all that surprised that your girls are so high on Epcot. When we first took our daughter she was 8 and though she really enjoyed MK, she really liked Epcot, too.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by ppx2 View Post
    So.. after living through post-Disney depression (I know you can all relate)....
    I've been in that sad state for the past 2 weeks. Hopefully I'll get off my duff and post a trip report and some pics within the next couple of days.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor