Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Exploring Los Angeles sights from Anaheim without a car and defibrillator question

Exploring Los Angeles sights from Anaheim without a car and defibrillator question

Hi Everyone,
    I was hoping to get some insights on a couple of specific questions:
    My SIL is visiting this March, and we are considering taking her down to Socal and DL. She's never been to America, and is semi-curious about DL, but she thinks that 2 days there would be plenty for her. She'd like to explore other sights in LA during our stay (we would likely go to the parks 3 days). Is that even feasible without a car (she doesn't drive)?
    She also has a defibrillator, and was wondering how or if that would restrict what she can do. She is in very good health otherwise, physically fit and strong, so no issues of not being allowed to exercise, or blood pressure problems. I already researched this question a bit, but was curious if someone here had any personal experience to share regarding that. Obviously, she's going to check with her doc as well.
    There's of course, the larger question whether it's smart to be taking your SIL to the parks when you don't know 100% if it will be her thing (potential crowds have me worried - even though I cannot find any schools on spring break, touringplan indicates large crowds for our dates March 9-11)...
    Anyways, I'd love to get some input!
    thanks, as always!
    elke

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elke View Post
    She'd like to explore other sights in LA during our stay (we would likely go to the parks 3 days). Is that even feasible without a car (she doesn't drive)?
    Would she be doing the L.A. sightseeing on her own, or would you be going with her? Sorry, I couldn't tell. With the expanse of geography and so many things to see, and L.A. not having the best public transportation, it would be incredibly hard and probably frustrating to go sightseeing without a car. Could you/she rent a car for the time that she wants to go sightseeing? Only issue would be driving around in a place that's unfamiliar. Depending on what she wants to see, there are multiple tour services that have giant busses going to various L.A. sites that have a get on/get off wherever you want policy. Perhaps that might be something that would work for her.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Regarding your dates. there is what looks like a rather large trade show at the convention center. They have the whole thing booked. Also, Cheerleaders at the park is always a concern in the Spring. I don't know where to look for dates outside of the convention center though.

With Easter so late, Spring Breaks will be all over the map. The last time it was this late, it was very hard to predict crowds.

Our niece, who had a heart transplant, was only told Tower of Terror was out by her doctor. Your Sil's Doctor is the best one to make that call though.

Hi all,
    thanks for the replies so far. As per SIL driving, probably not - I don't think she has a license. So the idea would be could she do this on her own. The tourbus idea was a good tip - it looks like some of these operators may pick up in or at least near Anaheim. She may be quite happy with a hop on / hop off kind of tour. I suppose the Getty Center would be on her list too, but maybe we'd all go for that.
    As for the convention calendar, that was helpful, thanks. Explains lack of hotels, still leaves me wondering how that would affect crowds (I actually used to go that particular trade show for work, and I don't think the crowd overall is one that would flock to DL - but could be wrong). Need to find out more about those cheerleaders!
    thanks,
    elke

Many of the schools in the Phoenix, AZ area are on spring break March 10 - 14.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think California Screamin' is another attraction that she might want to avoid with heart issues. But her doctor is the best call on that.

Cathy

If youre not so sure its her thing then only go for 1 day?

Also, while technically feasible to site see in LA without a car, it can be very time consuming and frustrating. I wouldn't recommend it.

We took an 8 hour Gray Line bus tour of LA in October. It wasn't great but it was satisfactory I think, for a first timer wanting to get an overall view of the city and its environs. Bus picked us up right at the Grand Californian.

John

Thanks for all the replies so far! I thought about only going for 1 day for her - but I have a gut feeling that she would end up liking it, and be frustrated not to see both parks. I suppose she could still purchase another ticket though - so that's a thought. I don't think I could bring the kids and myself to go for just one day, though - too many things that we would definitely want to do.
    Thanks for the update on AZ schools being out - it looks like some are, but that a majority of schools there and other places are out the week after. Of course, some universities will be out as well. Must look into the cheerleaders, as that is not something I know much about.
    Out of curiosity, anyone here take an "on the fence" person to the park at a moderately crowded time - if so, what was their experience?
    thanks!
    elke

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, anyone here take an "on the fence" person to the park at a moderately crowded time - if so, what was their experience?
    Not sure this is quite the same as your SIL's experience, but I'll relay the story anyway. A good friend of mine has a fiance who is familiar with Disneyland and DCA through work, and he's seen video of many of the shows available at the park. He hasn't been particularly interested in visiting in person, but he knows that my friend and many of us are big Disney lovers. After many years, he very recently agreed to make a visit, and they went on a weekday about a week before Christmas. It was incredibly busy that day, but he wasn't particularly interested in rides, so they didn't go on a single ride. They spent the day just walking around both parks, and he looked at everything, how things were designed and all the decorations. They saw the Viva Navidad street show and the Christmas parade. And I'm told they had a great time, and there was enough that he hadn't been able to see and that he was interested in that he's expressed the desire to make a return visit at some point.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

thanks!
    elke
    My experience with "on the fence" people is a little different than cstephens, so I'll share my experiences.

My husband was once an "on the fence" person-- he had never been to a Disney park in his childhood and went for the first time with a friend a few years after moving to LA. In other words, it was not high on his priority list, he wasn't convinced he was missing anything and had no strong desire to go. Recounting his first visit thoughts to me years after the fact, he told me what amazed him the most were the rides and attention to detail. His favorite was Pirates of the Caribbean, largely because many of the Disney rides are rides that are unlike any other amusement park's rides--and until you've experienced them, you don't get it.

My college roommate and a best friend to this day even though we're on opposite coasts had also never been to a Disney park until her late 20's. I took her on her first visit during Halloweentime in 2009. She loved the decorations and the immersive theming of Disneyland--again, I think she THOUGHT it was going to be like a Six Flags Park or lesser amusement park with generic rides or something. We went on Indiana Jones first and she was hooked!! She had an absolute blast.

FWIW, both my college roommate and my husband do NOT like crowds--they both have had me as their guide to the parks helping to optimize use of Fastpass and having a "plan of attack" for seeing the parks, so they didn't wait in any lines longer than 30 minutes (maybe 45 for Toy Story--but they both thought that was such fun, they didn't care).

This is all to say, I've had success in basically taking charge of the time in the parks when I've gone with newbies. Know their limitations and obviously don't "force" anybody to do anything, but also don't let them create a touring plan or lack thereof that you know will leave them disappointed. Ask if they want to focus on rides, shows or a combo of the two. The beauty of taking a first time visitor, is that they don't know what they're "missing," if for instance, they don't see World of Color or the Pixar Parade or Fantasmic or the Fireworks--they won't necessarily see that as a bad thing. If they make it on Snow White, but not on Mr. Toad or Peter Pan, same thing, etc. Plan out a day that you think is a great Disney day and take them along on it. I'd also suggest park hopping and spending time in both parks on the same day if you do one day--give them a taste of both.

Addressing the rest of your post, regarding sightseeing in LA... in an ideal world, one sees LA via driving vs. using public or paid transport. Public transit is severely lacking.

From the view of a longtime visitor turned local, I think the highlights to show an out of towner are the Getty Center (as you mentioned--it really is spectacular and is a museum that can easily be enjoyed in a half day, unless you are REALLY into arts/architecture, but I think the average visitor can do so in a half day) and the beach--whether this is Santa Monica/the Pier/the Promenade area or a little south into Manhattan Beach or Redondo or a bit north to Pacific Palisades/Malibu. What I've learned is that out of towners almost always want to go to "Hollywood" which I can't stand as a local and find it to be so tacky, dirty and not authentic. But.... I get it. When I was a preteen visiting, I got it in my head that I wanted to go to Hollywood and we went... and that was that. The best way to do Hollywood is to just park in the Hollywood and Highland parking structure (it's basically a small mall with mostly tourist oriented shops) and walk down Hollywood Blvd. a bit to see some of the Walk of Fame (stars with names) and the Chinese Theater with the handprints out front. There's a nice pedestrian bridge area that provides a great view of the Hollywood sign within the Hollywood/Highland shopping center.

What I've done with guests before that they've loved is giving them a taste of Hollywood with what I just described first thing in the morning before it gets too crowded and then driving them up to the Griffith Observatory for a great view of the city and the Hollywood sign (there are hiking trails to get you a bit closer too), going through the Observatory (free-- there is a fee for the Planetarium show), and then back down the hill for lunch in the Los Feliz neighborhood area (The Alcove and Home are two favorite spots).

If you can rent a car to do your own thing, I'd recommend that. I can't recommend or NOT recommend the guided tour options as I've never done them--I'm just offering my "local" insider perspective.

Thanks for all that detailed advice! Spoke to me SIL over the weekend and managed to convince her (or at least convey strongly to her...) that 2 days would be a better option than just one day for the parks. Now the task of finding a suite or vacation rental that suits everyone. I think SIL would be happy to have some degree of independence from us to tour LA by herself on a hop and off tour - and I don't think I want to go to Hollywood again.
    Good point that a newbie won't necessarily know what they are missing, that may make it less stressful for me as regards planning.
    Thanks again!
    elke