Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Race Plans

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 Race Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    They do not have to be in the same calander year, but they do need to be consecutive, so you can start with any event, but you can not skip any once you've started.

I was going to do them all this year, but I am the matron of honor at a wedding on Feb 1, so I don't think I could survive a 1/2 on Feb 2!
    Sweet! Great to know!
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

2. # ADS

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I've got a bunch of possible 5K and 4-milers in my sights in March & April, but they will depend on training for my first 10K on 5/11 (I'm training with the local Fleet Feet store's distance program). I'll be doing the Everest Challenge the week before that. I'm actually considering a very busy May to celebrate my 50th birthday at the end of April. I've committed to two of the four so far, and it's highly likely I'll do the third. I'm going to wait to decide on #4 for a while yet.

May 3, 2014 Disney Expedition Everest Challenge
    May 11, 2014 Fleet Feet 10K
    May 15, 2014 CDPHP Workforce Team Challenge (3.5 Miler)
    May 18, 2014 SPAC Rock + Run 10K

There's a 15K trail run in August that I may run. The decision will probably hinge on whether or not I decide to attempt to move up to the Half Marathon distance in the fall. If I do, after the 15K there's a local half on October 12 and Wine & Dine a month later. I'll have to make the decision before Wine & Dine sells out, so probably right around Everest or the 10K.

I've only done a couple of 5Ks so far, but when I get ambitious it can be like a runaway freight train. Down about 50 pounds so far, at least another 50 to go. Let's see where the year takes me.

Headless Chicken

Originally, I wanted this to be the year of half marathons. However, I notice that with the extensive training I need for them, my appetite becomes uncontrollable. And, this has greatly hindered my weight loss.

So, my priority this year has switched to get below 200 pounds and increase my speed and be able to completely run 5k without intervals. So, after the Tink half, I plan to do 5k and 10k races which don't really increase my appetite much, and to shoot for PR on each one. This will also allow me to spend more weekends doing other activities that I love like hiking, biking, and diving as well. I won't have to run every weekend.

So, next up after Tink, I am dragging the husband into his first race at Knott's Coaster Run 10K.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    So, next up after Tink, I am dragging the husband into his first race at Knott's Coaster Run 10K.
    One bit of advice - get there EARLY. Getting to parking was a nightmare last year, and a friend and I, each driving in separate cars, almost missed the race because we were delayed by more than 40 minutes trying to find somewhere to park.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Right now I'm only signed up for the Mustang Half Marathon in April. This is our year to try to payoff all our bills (oh Dave Ramsey, you are killing me) so no destination races in the immediate future.

That said, if we are good and stick to our plan, I 'may' do Wine and Dine. But that will be the only Disney race :'(.

I'm also shopping for a full marathon. After my performance yesterday (at the WDW full) I really want to take a shot at a full marathon on rested, fully trained legs, just to see what I can do. I enjoy late summer/early fall training, so I'm looking for a late fall race. We'll see. Maybe Long Beach?

Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).
    Writing about my running journey here
    Viva La Cava del Tequila!

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From the Coloradoan:

Here are 13 reasons why you should run a half marathon this year:

• There’s beer at the finish line. Seriously. The Horsetooth Half Marathon finishes at New Belgium Brewing Co. There’s nothing like a Fat Tire after 13.1 miles.

• Swag. Your entry fees usually get you a technical running T-shirt with a cool race logo and a medal, among other things. Wear that shirt proudly. You’ll eventually have to take off the medal, though.

• You can put a “13.1” sticker on the back of your car.

• You’ll have something cool to talk about at those awkward work social gatherings. Just don’t talk about your race too much. Then you’ll be known as “that guy” or “that gal.”

• Training for a half marathon is not as time-consuming as training for a full marathon. You don’t have to wake up at the crack of dawn to get in 17 miles. You can still keep your social life.

• On a related note, you’re less likely to get injured training for a half marathon rather than a full 26.2 miles. Most half marathon training plans don’t require a long run of more than 13 miles.

• You’ll be oh-so-hip. The half marathon was rated the favorite race distance among Americans in the Running USA 2013 National Runner Survey.

• You’ll discover new areas of Fort Collins. It’s amazing the things you see on foot, rather than from the car. Take advantage of the city’s vast trail system.

• You now have an excuse to buy new running shoes. Or, a new running “outfit.” You’re welcome, ladies.

• You can travel. Pick an out-of-state race and take a quick getaway to somewhere new. Or, somewhere warm. Phoenix in December, anyone?

• The health benefits. This is obvious, but running will help you lose or maintain weight, strengthen your heart, lower your blood pressure, and improve your immune system. Those are all good things.

• You’ll meet happy people. Seriously, the finish line of a race is one of the happiest places on earth.

• Running will become your newest passion. Run one half marathon, and you’ll be hooked.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 Race Plans

I'm Loving reading all of the plans here. I can live vicariously through you all as I'm sworn to not add anything more than I'm already committed to.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

I've got a busy year planned! I'm so excited

January - I did a New Year's Day 5k
    February - Warm Your Heart 5k
    March - Shamrock Shuffle 8k
    April - Ravenswood 5k
    May - Lansing Marathon Relay (I'm doing a 10k portion)
    May - Chicago Spring Half Marathon
    June - 5k (TBD)
    July - 5k or 10k (TBD)
    September - Brookfield Zoo 5k
    September - Rosehill Cemetery Crypt 5k
    October - TBD
    November - Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Phew! It's going to be a great year for running!

(and I'm already planning on the Disneyland Half Marathon in 2015....)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The race I'm doing at the end of March published a 9 minute video of the race course
    http://vimeo.com/zydecomarathon/course

The race website says there's a 92 foot gain in the half course - but I honestly did not notice where they would be in the video.
    There are some really good things about living in Louisiana! Anybody looking for a FLAT full course this could be yours. (And only $77.50 until Feb 15!) And it's a certified course.

(The full is 2 laps of the half, so as a slow halfer, I'm excited to have lots of people out on the course with me on the back half of my race)

Cathy

It's coming together...

Jan - Tinkerbell half
    Feb - Race on the Base Los Alamitos 10k
    Mar - Coaster Run 10k
    Apr - MouseAdventure
    May - Safari Park half
    Jun - CA Women's Wine Country half (my first trail race)
    Jul - Probably a July 4th 5k after two halfs in a row
    Aug - Disneyland 10k
    Sep - Aquarium of the Pacific 5k (probably)
    Oct - Long Beach half
    Nov - Wine and Dine half
    Dec - TBD, maybe Holiday half or a Santa or New Years run

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Dec - TBD, maybe Holiday half or a Santa or New Years run
    Ugly Christmas Sweater run!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries

How about a virtual Christmas Story run unless you are in Cleveland OH on December 6th and can run it in person? I heard of at least one Christmas Story run party where several friends signed up, ran the 10k distance together, then came back and celebrated with noshies and hot cocoa. Fun!

The medal and t-shirt last year were awesome. Can't wait to see this year's.

http://www.achristmasstoryrun.com/

RunningFool

Blog Entries

I was signed up for this even before last night's game but now...wow. The Seahawks 12k Run at the Landing should be INCREDIBLE this April!

RunningFool

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

All i have for 2014 is Tink and the Glass Slipper Challenge at wdw so i can get that pretty pink coast to coast. DH is doing DDD but I'm sitting out. Oh and yeah, we'll for sure be doing some sort of Ugly Christmas Sweater run again this year. I mean really, how can we not? We have the sweaters so we might as well show them off!

Goofy at WDW
    Local 5k Sprint into summer - with my school district. I usually run "with" my track kids. They all try to beat coach.
    Boulder Boulder - 10k
    Disneyland Half! First trip to Disneyland. Can not wait!

After that, who knows. I will be starting my masters this summer at the Denver zoo and might be a river guide again this year.

What an awesome thread!

My post-Dopey plans are:

My 6th Boston Marathon
    The Heartbreak Hill 1/2 Marathon Challenge in June
    Run For Lives - The Zombie Run
    Tough Mudder Boston in September (may switch this to the Spartan Beast)
    The Stone Cat Trail Marathon in November

Toss in a few 5k/10k's and my race calendar looks pretty good.

(back for Dopey in '15)

Here's to good health everyone.

Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Blog Entries

Speaking of Boston (good to see you again Bobcat!), B.A.A. is offering the first ever Boston World Run. Participants will receive a bib number, digital finisher's medal, and printable finisher's certificate. You can find out more about it here.

RunningFool

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Speaking of Boston (good to see you again Bobcat!), B.A.A. is offering the first ever Boston World Run. Participants will receive a bib number, digital finisher's medal, and printable finisher's certificate. You can find out more about it here.
    Hey RunningFool (nice to be seen)

I'd read something about the World Run - sounds pretty cool!!
    Boston Marathon 2009
    Boston Marathon 2010
    Boston Marathon 2011
    Boston Marathon 2012
    Boston Marathon 2014

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I'm also signed up for the IMS Arizona Marathon in February.
    Just wanted to post that I finished the marathon yesterday.

I ran with my friend Vanessa, who was an official pacer for the 4:00 group. Since my goal for this year is to try to qualify for Boston Marathon, this was the first real chance I had to see if I had ANY chops.

The first 6 miles were a total breeze. The course starts out on a gradual downhill, and it was great having a pacer because I would've gone out way too fast.

Unfortunately, I started developing a blister under my right big toe at mile 7. By the time I was at mile 13 (having run those last miles trying to keep my toe lifted up so it wouldn't keep rubbing and get worse), all I could think of was the pain in my toe. Worse, I could feel hot spots under my left big toe, as well as the footpads under my forefoot on both feet (but mostly on my right). It was affecting my gait, making me more tired. My legs were starting to feel like rubber, which typically does not happen at mile 13 for me.

I told Vanessa I had to tend to my blister, and that I would meet her at the finish area, and let her go. I sat down on the sidewalk and applied the one bandaid I brought with me. It did nothing to help the blister but I was confident the bandaid would at least prevent the blister skin from ripping/tearing.

After that, it was kind of a slow blur. It was very painful, but I was far enough ahead that I didn't have to worry about getting swept (it had a 6-hour cut-off), so I just kept going. I slowed down considerably... according to the stats, I cleared a 2:00 first half, and a 2:20 second half. So I basically slowed down by almost 2 minutes a mile on the second half... I mostly walked through the aid stations.

I need to conduct some experiments to see what caused the blisters. I've had it happen before on back-to-back training runs. It might be my new shoes, which were broken in but which I'd never raced in. Could've been my Feetures running socks, which I like but are not wool. Could also be that at race pace I'm doing a lot more pushing off closer to my toes. I need to resolve this if I want to be able to run without developing blisters. White hot coals. So painful.

On the up side, I shaved several minutes off my WDW Marathon time from last month, and I popped all my blisters and now my toes aren't in pain. Yay.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

I need to conduct some experiments to see what caused the blisters. I've had it happen before on back-to-back training runs. It might be my new shoes, which were broken in but which I'd never raced in. Could've been my Feetures running socks, which I like but are not wool. Could also be that at race pace I'm doing a lot more pushing off closer to my toes. I need to resolve this if I want to be able to run without developing blisters. White hot coals. So painful.

On the up side, I shaved several minutes off my WDW Marathon time from last month, and I popped all my blisters and now my toes aren't in pain. Yay.
    Ugh, sorry to hear about the blisters. I know the horrible feeling of running along and realizing a hot spot is developing, and then suddenly it's all you can think about.

So when is your next marathon? Because I know you're going to meet that BQ goal!
    Kim
    DLR, WDW and runDisney fanatic; DVC (SSR), AP (when I have the $$), DCL (when I have even more $$).

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    So when is your next marathon? Because I know you're going to meet that BQ goal!
    Next one I'm registered for is the Oakland Marathon on March 23. I do not plan to PR it because it goes into the Oakland Hills. What it DOES do, though, is qualify me to join Marathon Maniacs (I'll have done 3 fulls in a 90-day window).

The earliest shot I have at trying for a BQ is Mountains 2 Beach in May. If that doesn't work, I'll probably sign up for the Santa Rosa Marathon in August. Then I keep doing it over and over until I either get faster, or I age up a group and they give me more time for the BQ. lol
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

MA Master
    I need to conduct some experiments to see what caused the blisters.
    My suggestion is to use Body Glide on and between your toes. I used to get blisters during the hot, long, summer training runs before the DL Half, and once I started doing this, I haven't had one since.

The earliest shot I have at trying for a BQ is Mountains 2 Beach in May. If that doesn't work, I'll probably sign up for the Santa Rosa Marathon in August. Then I keep doing it over and over until I either get faster, or I age up a group and they give me more time for the BQ. lol
    I've heard that the Utah Valley Marathon is a fast course for those trying to BQ. It's in June.

This year I'm training for the the Long Beach full, just to see if I have a realistic shot at a BQ and if so, I'll be aiming at Utah Valley in 2015 for my BQ try.
    Kim

Lani I'd be impressed with that time even without blisters! Can't wait to hear about it when you get your BQ.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    I've heard that the Utah Valley Marathon is a fast course for those trying to BQ. It's in June.
    Dangit. I'm already doing the Yellowstone Half that weekend. Thanks for the info, though; I'll keep it in mind. The elevation looks a little step at points, and it still has some uphills, but otherwise looks pretty fast!

You're in a lower age group than I am, so you need to run even faster than me!! You can do it!!!