Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Team MousePlanet Castle-to-Castle Challenge

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

2014 Team MousePlanet Castle-to-Castle Challenge

Are you up for a fun virtual run/walk challenge in 2014? Stay tuned here for more details on Team MousePlanet's Castle-to-Castle Challenge!

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Announcing the Team MousePlanet “Castle-to-Castle Challenge”

runDisney has the Coast-to-Coast Challenge and now Team MousePlanet has the “Castle-to-Castle Challenge”! We’re challenging you to virtually run/walk from Cinderella’s Castle in Walt Disney World to Sleeping Beauty’s Castle in Disneyland. That’s 2337 miles straight across the US. You’ll start in Orlando, Florida and travel through the states of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona on your way to the Happiest Place on Earth in Anaheim, California.

Participants will begin the journey following the WDW Marathon weekend with the goal to reach Disneyland in time for the Disneyland Half Marathon weekend. The miles start counting Monday January 13, 2014 with the challenge ending on Friday August 29, 2014.

While completing 2337 miles in thirty-three weeks would be almost impossible alone, we know you can do it teamed up with your Team MousePlanet friends and family! Each team will consist of no more than five team members. Teams will be randomly assigned with the exception of families that would like to take on the challenge together.

Of course, Team MousePlanet will have surprises for you all along the way. Finisher’s Certificate will be awarded to all participants who complete the challenge by August 29, 2014. The first team to Disneyland also wins bragging rights on their accomplishment as well as a little “something special” from Team MousePlanet.

Here’s the scoop:

• Start by posting your interest in participating in the challenge.

• We’ll send team assignment notifications by January 10, 2014.
    - All adult Challenge participants should be registered on MousePlanet (and if they aren’t, sign them up!).
    - Families are welcome. Kids are welcome to team with a parent.

• The miles start counting as of January 13, 2014 although participants are welcome to join at any time after that date.
    - Miles accumulate each month.
    - To be fair, we can only credit back one month if participants join later in the year.

• Miles can be run / walked out on the roads and trails or in the gym on a treadmill.
    - Miles earned during actual race events will count so don’t forget to include them!
    - Conversions of other sports such as biking and swimming to running miles will not count towards either challenge.

• By the 15th of each month, you will need to send the RunningFool a PM with your total miles for the previous month.
    - i.e., January totals would need to be reported by February 15th

• Reporting is on the honor system.
    - We won’t be checking Nike+ or any other tracking mechanism to verify participant miles but we know Team MousePlanet members are totally honest.

• Results will be posted monthly by the RunningFool on the Team MousePlanet site.
    - Miles will be reported by team only; individuals will not be called out unless requested by their team.

• And lastly, have fun! This challenge is just to keep us engaged and to keep us moving between runDisney events.

See you at the finish in Disneyland!
    Last edited by RunningFool; 12-28-2013 at 02:14 AM.
    RunningFool

Sign me up! I would love to do it!

Kevin (Simba0614) and I are in and would like to be on the same team if possible. We're also going to try to recruit another couple RunDisney friends who don't post much here.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Team MousePlanet Castle-to-Castle Challenge

Sounds fun! I'm in! Hopefully it will help me keep up miles when it gets warm if I know my team is counting on me!

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Sign me up! I would love to do it!
    Will do! Do you have any family /friends you would like to bring along?
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    Kevin (Simba0614) and I are in and would like to be on the same team if possible. We're also going to try to recruit another couple RunDisney friends who don't post much here.
    Awesome - I think we can make that happen! Let me know if you complete your team with the second couple.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Sounds fun! I'm in! Hopefully it will help me keep up miles when it gets warm if I know my team is counting on me!
    Excellent! Anyone you would like to partner with? Friends / family you would like to bring along for the fun?
    RunningFool

Sign me up! I would also sign up my family, but since they have done only the most minimal of training for the 10K, I'm not seeing them committing to running a min of 15 miles per week. Thanks for doing this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    Sign me up! I would also sign up my family, but since they have done only the most minimal of training for the 10K, I'm not seeing them committing to running a min of 15 miles per week. Thanks for doing this!
    I've got you on the list! And if your family decides it would be fun to join in (you never know - competition might get their interest), just let me know in the next week or so before I start making team assignments.
    RunningFool

Absolutely. I'll participate. Please put me on a team w/ 4 who'll earn about 500 miles apiece that way I don't have to work too hard. j/k

Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Absolutely. I'll participate. Please put me on a team w/ 4 who'll earn about 500 miles apiece that way I don't have to work too hard. j/k
    I'll see what I can do!
    RunningFool

I'm in and so is DH and DD! I will get them to sign up on here ASAP!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    I'm in and so is DH and DD! I will get them to sign up on here ASAP!
    Woo hoo! Welcome to the challenge.
    RunningFool

I'm so in! I was just going to start tracking my miles weekly to see how many I could go in a year, so this will keep me motivated and on track . Great idea

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Will do! Do you have any family /friends you would like to bring along?
    No, just me. DH is doing a couple of races with me, but he is mostly cycling now, so he doesn't want to commit.

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Lorree -- since it wasn't mentioned specifically, is this challenge open to MousePlanet writers and staff folks? And to be fair we should probably not all sign up as one team, I assume? Do the teams get to name themselves? I like how the miles from the WDW marathon don't count. lol!

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Lorree -- since it wasn't mentioned specifically, is this challenge open to MousePlanet writers and staff folks? And to be fair we should probably not all sign up as one team, I assume? Do the teams get to name themselves? I like how the miles from the WDW marathon don't count. lol!
    You bet it's open to MP staff and writers! I couldn't imagine a Team MousePlanet challenge without everyone joining in the fun. Can I put you down for the challenge?

It would be more fun if we could mix and match staff/ writers with padders but it will also depend on how many people we get signed up. The more challenge participants, the more teams we can host.

As for team names, the more creative the better!

And yes, I wanted everyone to start on an even playing field which is why the challenge starts after WDW.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    No, just me. DH is doing a couple of races with me, but he is mostly cycling now, so he doesn't want to commit.
    Cool. We'll make sure you're in a fun group.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherya View Post
    I'm so in! I was just going to start tracking my miles weekly to see how many I could go in a year, so this will keep me motivated and on track . Great idea
    Awesome! Glad to have you along for the challenge.
    RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    You bet it's open to MP staff and writers! I couldn't imagine a Team MousePlanet challenge without everyone joining in the fun. Can I put you down for the challenge?

It would be more fun if we could mix and match staff/ writers with padders but it will also depend on how many people we get signed up. The more challenge participants, the more teams we can host.

As for team names, the more creative the better!

And yes, I wanted everyone to start on an even playing field which is why the challenge starts after WDW.
    Sounds good--sign me up. Yes, I like the idea of mix and match. I don't know if you plan on making it completely random but maybe it might work out best if you mix and match to average out the teams so you don't get one team of ultramarathoners who do 100-milers, and another team that mostly does 5Ks.

I don't mind posting my monthly miles.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

This sounds fun....please add me to the list!! This will give me some extra motivation to get my long runs in.

Tricia: Member of the ORIGINAL Oswald Returns.

I'm in. Wish it was starting 1/1 because I'm currently training for a 50k at the beginning of February ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gfy4dland View Post
    This sounds fun....please add me to the list!! This will give me some extra motivation to get my long runs in.
    Will do! Glad to help with motivation (heaven knows most of us need it).
    RunningFool

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcid3 View Post
    I'm in. Wish it was starting 1/1 because I'm currently training for a 50k at the beginning of February ;-)
    Welcome to the challenge!

A 50k. Wow. That's just over 31 miles. Have you completed this distance before or is this a first?
    RunningFool