Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: Exploring the original Pacific Electric Red Cars

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Exploring the original Pacific Electric Red Cars

Exploring the original Pacific Electric Red Cars by Karl Buiter

Karl Buiter takes a look at the original trolleys on which the Disney California Adventure Buena Vista Street versions were based.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great article!!!!

I have a question that I could probably find the answer somewhere but will be lazy and ask it here.

Do the DCA Red Cars actually run off the overhead grid or is that just for show and they run off some other source of power?

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    Great article!!!!

I have a question that I could probably find the answer somewhere but will be lazy and ask it here.

Do the DCA Red Cars actually run off the overhead grid or is that just for show and they run off some other source of power?
    Battery operated.

Car number 1061 runs to this day on the SF Muni F line on Market St as does LA Railway number 1052 (a yellow one).
    "I'm not interested in what you did yesterday, because I'm not going to be there. I know I can do that. It's the next thing that I'm interested in" (Walt Disney)
    "Sometimes it's not to your benefit to mess with things that are above your reach. You don't want to show yourself to be too stupid." (Bob Dylan)

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfrick View Post
    Battery operated.

Car number 1061 runs to this day on the SF Muni F line on Market St as does LA Railway number 1052 (a yellow one).
    Thank you, I grew up with the Yakima Valley Transportation system in Yakima WA. I always remember the sparks when they hit one of the junctions on the overhead grid at times.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

JAFO
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Thank-you everyone. Definitely a fun article to write.

A reader emailed me in regards to 1061 and 1052 in San Francisco. His note - "Both 1052 and 1061 are former Philadelphia PCCs that were among a over a dozen that were painted to honor cities where PCC cars ran."

I cant confirm that. But I pass it along. And hope the reader joins the discussion