Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: 2013 Disneyland Candlelight Processional Guide

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: 2013 Disneyland Candlelight Processional Guide

2013 Disneyland Candlelight Processional Guide by Stephanie Wien

Information on the Candlelight Processional events and operational impacts.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Did I read this correctly that they won't carol down Main Street anymore and instead just come from the parade step-off gate to the side?

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^if correct - boo. That's one of the things I love - and in fact makes me think is what happened long ago on any Main St. USA.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Out of curiosity, why is Captain EO closed?

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Maybe that's where they are having the choir rehearse?

I think you are correct Niwel. It wouldn't be hard to stage them there and go backstage to where they want them to come out.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Curious how it all went tonight with the weather....

Everthing went very well for the second show. We arrived at 7:30 pm, and the moderate crowds were moving along smoothly. A CM directed us to a standing area for Candlelight viewing. About 10 minutes later, another CM lifted the rope and invited people to take the empty seats. The weather was crisp, but not freezing. Blair Underwood did a great job as narrator. All in all it was a very nice and memorable evening. By the way, the choir did process down Main Street (don't know if they started from IASW or not) -- they did not enter from the parade gate by the Mad Hatter.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    The weather was crisp, but not freezing. Blair Underwood did a great job as narrator. All in all it was a very nice and memorable evening. By the way, the choir did process down Main Street (don't know if they started from IASW or not) -- they did not enter from the parade gate by the Mad Hatter.
    Some big disappointments for me. The cutting at Epcot of the 'One Solitary Life' segment and the song 'Do You Hear What I Hear' also manifested out here. I love the song, and can barely stand it being cut, but to cut 'One Solitary Life' from the processional really digs into the heart of the show, and I hope they reconsider this and return it to the Candlelight program for next year. I'm relatively new to the processionals, and perhaps One Solitary Life was a recent addition, but having heard Gary Sinese and Dick Van Dyk both read the story, I'd very much like to see it return.

And as for Blair Underwood's performance, of all the hosts I have ever heard, he seemed to have the most trouble narrating the program. Though I utterly agree with him - those trumpeters atop the train station are indeed powerful.

Well, there's always room for disagreement. I think Blair Underwood did a fine job of taking the narration seriously and reading it carefully, giving the text the respect it deserves. His style is very different from that of the other two actors you mentioned, but that doesn't make it worse. After Tom Skerrit's seemingly tipsy/drunk reading a few years ago (our winner for worst narrator so far, unfortunately), Blair Underwood (and Gary Sinise and Dick Van Dyke in past years) impressed us with his dignified performance. We're probably in the minority here, but we did not mind that the "One Solitary Life" poem was cut, although we did miss "Do You Hear What I Hear?" -- we prefer the Scripture text to the poem, but I can understand how many people might miss having it included.

Hello, I am new to Mouse Planet and hope this is the right place to ask if anyone knows if the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland is available to purchase on DVD. My daughter was in the tree part of the choir for the 8:00 performance and my camcorder didn't capture it well so I would love to get a copy if possible.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by castmembermom View Post
    Hello, I am new to Mouse Planet and hope this is the right place to ask if anyone knows if the Candlelight Processional at Disneyland is available to purchase on DVD. My daughter was in the tree part of the choir for the 8:00 performance and my camcorder didn't capture it well so I would love to get a copy if possible.
    I don't believe they do. Maybe through the CMs in house but I doubt it. There are a few disney fan web sites that offer full video, etc. - however, these of course all depend on your definition on if they are worth it.

IF they are somehow available - that would be coool.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

I was not thrilled the cutting of "one solitary life". It really bummed me out. Dont get me wrong, it was amazing as always and Kurt Russell totally looked at me an smiled... He was great. I just feel like the whole thing leads up to One solitary life and that part is just so powerful. Just my personal orion, i hope they bring it back.

Perhaps someone (one of the suits) has determined that One Solitary Life could be offensive to some guests. Although I don't know why they'd be attending a Christmas Candlelight Processional if that were the case... Or maybe they wanted to keep the emphasis on song if they had to shorten the performance.

John

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Or maybe they wanted to keep the emphasis on song if they had to shorten the performance.
    But I believe the cut out a song, too (Do You Hear What I Hear).

I'm going to have to pull out my CD and listen to it again!
    Cathy

Cool Candlelight Procession - California vs. Florida

Just returned from WDW and our (Disneyland) Candlelight Procession is so much better than what they do at Epcot!
    The trumpeters wore tuxedos and red cumberbunds and the choir just strolled past us to get in their place.
    No caroling through the procession...my favorite part. I love standing on Main Street at Disneyland and singing
    along with the choirs, it gives me goosebumps through the whole procession. And the trumpeters in their royal garb
    on top of the train station is beyond amazing. Their "It's A Small World" is pitiful and doesn't compare to California, plus no
    Christmas makeover. I love their 'Haunted Mansion", but once again, no makeover with "The Night Before Christmas"
    Very surprising that the two parks don't follow each others lead. Disneyland rules in my opinion, nothing beats an original!

P.S. The choir use to start caroling down by the tea cups, now they start at the end of Main Street before the hub.

I'm a member of the employee choir at Disneyland and this was my 11th year participating in Candlelight. I wanted to address a couple of the things posted above. But before I do, please be aware that the folks at the park who run the show (and do a heck of a job, I must say) don't always explain why things are done the way they are. That said:

This year, like last year, the processional began from the gate at the end of main street next to the corn dog cart. Previously, in my experience, the processional for the first show began at a gate to the west of Small World and the second show's processional began at the end of main street.

Again, this year, like last year, we gathered and rehearsed in the Captin EO theater in the afternoon. It was also used as a holding area for the choir between the shows. In past years, the pre-show rehearsal was held in a building backstage closer to where the choir emerges into the park. Then between shows, we would be in the Lincoln Theater. Many of us were disappointed with this change because the full processional, as some of us call it, was one of our favorite things. Also, the other rehearsal space gave the entire choir, employees and other guest choirs, our only opportunity to rehearse together. They would also bring the guest narrator to that rehearsal, which I would think was of great benefit to them. This year and last, that didn't happen. The first time we saw and heard the narrator was when they came on stage. Imagine stepping onto Main Street to perform that program with NO REHEARSAL! I wouldn't want to do it!

A couple of people mentioned the song 'Do You Hear What I Hear?' and I wanted to note that that was not the song that was cut from the Disneyland program. In fact, it hasn't been part of Candlelight at Disneyland since I've been there. The song they cut was 'O Come All Ye Faithful.' We used to sing the last verse.

I've been told that Disneyland does not sell copies of the show because of copyright laws. They'd have to get permission from all of the performers, singers, orchestra members, etc. in order to do so, so don't expect that to ever happen unless the laws change.

Hope this helps clear up some things. I love, love, love being a part of Candlelight and will keep doing it as long as they'll have me. See you there next year!