Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: IT Band pain help! Freaking out!!

IT Band pain help! Freaking out!!

So DW and I are signed up to run the WDW half in January. We are raising money for Alex's Lemonade Stand to run and we have been helped by some very generous family and friends! Ran my first 10K back in July in build up preparation using Galloway. went great and was looking for to starting the Galloway training for the half. Well week 1 was last week and suddenly four nights ago when I went to get into bed the outside of my right knee felt like it was on fire when I bent it. I can walk, drive, climb stairs, etc, but if I flex my knee in just the right way it really hurts. I thought this was maybe from not running for a little while so I ran 30 minutes the other day on the readmit at the gym (Galloway) and it didn't hurt at all again until I got home and bent my knee. Now it has been hurting a little more when I do that! I asked a friend at work who is a PA (and very active) and he said sounds like classic IT band syndrome and a cousin who is a PT agreed. I have been doing some of the exercises recommended by her and have been resting but the knee still hurts (I know it will probably take more time). Anyone do anything that has really helped this? I am FREAKING out that my knee is going to be bothering me for too long to do decent training for this race (family is coming and we have all already booked rooms through DVC rentals so they are not returnable and we have already raised over half of our Alex's Lemonade $$!). It's going to be our first half. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Cool Runnings
    Doc

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." -Walt Disney

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson

2. # ADS

I too am dealing with IT band issues and have been since May. My PT started out by letting me run but I had to stop before I got to the point where the IT band hurt, which for me was 1.5 miles unfortunately. (Mine actually hurt on runs). I stayed at that distance for a month while she had me doing some hip strengthening exercises, foam rolling of the IT band, stretching of the IT band and also icing 4 times daily. Now she has me slowly increasing my mileage. I can't say I'm pain free but I can say I'm improved and I haven't had issues on my runs yet. I'll be doing 3.5 miles this weekend and hoping the IT band allows it. Good Luck!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ITBS is so frustrating. I dealt with it from May 2013 though August 2013, totally crapping out my DDD training. I was not able to get over 5 miles once all summer. I was rolling and icing and stretching and it really seemed to only help minimally. When I started feeling relief was when I finally went to acupuncture. I'm not usually a holistic/eastern medicine kind of girl, but I was in so much pain that I was willing to try ANYTHING. Well, just two weeks of sessions (3 sessions week one, 2 sessions week two) and it was released. While recovering I dropped my R:W intervals way down as to not aggravate anything. That helped a lot. I still have problems on hills, so I just approach them with caution now. And on my 15+ milers the ITB starts to get cranky and stiff, but no real pain. Hope this helps.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah - me too. It hit me due to my back injury, and funny that when I tried acupuncture as I left the office my IT band seized. I could not straighten up because it felt like I was tearing the IT band. I decided chiro instead. For me - deep tissue massage focusing on target points has helped a lot (though I still have weird tingling in the left lower quad muscles). I have had 3 sessions of DTM therapy and when the therapist hits the right point you can really feel the release. As fairestoneofall and I are noting - you need to try something and see if it works. Its not necessarily a one size fits all. I do think, though, that a combination of ice, muscle relaxation and stimulus (roller, massage, acupuncture, etc), and possibly some nsaids (ibuprofin) would help in the long run. As always - consult your doctor too. I WISH I could get to 15+ miles (did 6.5 - longest ever) and had good result with IT band. other stuff, eh...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My first session of acupuncture I felt tension in my ITB, but it didn't seize. Gradually, I would feel release session after session.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Foam Roller! This has cured a lot of pain and tightness in my IT Band and knee area. Consequently, my lower back is better as well. You can get a foam roller from any sports/fitness store and look up some activities online. Changed my life.