Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Let me pick my jaw up off the floor.

I was pretty iffy on doing the DL Half this year but looking at this price I think I might just pass entirely. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by vegaspixie View Post
    When you consider how pricey a Disney trip (DLR or WDW) is in the first place, adding this expense is over the top for me.
    We had this conversation today. Doc very seriously considered Dumbo again. He even wanted to fundraise for it. But even if he fundraises, there's more expenses - hotels, food, etc. Plus, the boys will be blocked out for most of that weekend.

We're doing 2015 WDW events, plus we have some other ideas for 2015.

But I want other things in this life, too. Like food, clothing, a roof over my head. And the roof over my head needs some maintenance. Even if we fundraise, we have to worry about exhausting our fundraising abilities. We know we want to fundraise for Tink 2015. If we fundraise EVERY Disney event, our friends and family are going to get REALLY sick of us really fast. We do have ideas for gimmicks and ways to fundraise - but we have to mitigate the situation.

I'd really like to work on my wish list for this house this year and it doesn't seem like we can keep affording these "challenges" and weekends at Disney theme parks and get that done, too.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

2. # ADS

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

2014 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

I keep telling DH we can't afford to do every runDisney race that comes along. I'm done for the year after Princess. DH is fundraising for DDD but his fundraising will be a different demographic than mine. He wants to do Dopey 2015 but that's a really steep price tag so I'm pushing for him to do "just" goofy or even "just" the full. I may skip out on the WDW half and just enjoy vacation and cheering on our friends. My girls like to do the 10k's but at $100 a pop gets expensive. Then you factor in hotel, food, the merchandise experiences and the running gear and outfits it really adds up. Maybe we'll win the lotto one of these days.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Looking at the pricing for this year's Disneyland Half races has seriously changed my plans for that weekend as well as Disney races and racing in general.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

It seems silly that $40 is the tipping point, but for me it was just a sign. I decided to do the C2C this year (Tink and WnD). The upswing in price for the Dumbo made it easier to try and convince my friend to come to WnD instead--theoretically cooler, new experience, etc. This decision just means that someone else will have the incredible experience of the Dumbo as I won't be taking their spot.

Headless Chicken

Yuck. In that case, I'm only doing the 10K, and only because a friend I inspired to run will be doing it as his first race.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had seriously considered making an attempt to become a Dumbo legacy but not at this price. I'll remain a Disneyland Half legacy as we're only two years from the 10th anniversary but I'll spend the rest of the $$$ I would have spent on Dumbo on perhaps two other wonderful half marathons instead. Not that runDisney will notice my absence as they will continue to sell out but how many of those will be returning participants and how many will be 'one and done' checklisters?

cactusgirl has the right idea - "someone else will have the incredible experience of the Dumbo as I won't be taking their spot." I hope they enjoy it.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Supply and demand. If they stop selling out in hours, we'll see the price increases slow or stop. But I don't think any of us expect that to happen.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Supply and demand. If they stop selling out in hours, we'll see the price increases slow or stop. But I don't think any of us expect that to happen.

AVP
    Nope - that won't happen. There are too many folks who have a runDisney event on their bucket list.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Talked to runDisney this morning at the WDW expo. Unlike last year, no on-site registration except for Expedition Everest. AP registration for Disneyland opens January 22nd.

RunningFool

Bummer. I was hoping for the Tink Expo.

Mom and I did DDD last year, and with the price increase on everything, this year will more than likely be my last year doing Disney races. Tink is DBF's first 1/2, so our plan was to do DLR and W&D. DLR is questionable but W&D is a for sure, so we can get him his C2C medal. Guess I need to start looking at other races around the US and plan vacations that way.

Guess this means I can start volunteering at the races.

Last edited by Shunasee; 01-08-2014 at 01:28 PM. Reason: additonal thought

Gosh those prices are steep. I had broken my foot last year, so I didn't get to do the Dumbo, I just did the 10K (and LOVED it). I really wanted to do Dumbo this year, I may just suck it up, pay the $320 to say I've done it once and realize I'll probably never do it again. I am headed out next weekend for Tink 10K and 5K, but the races are too expensive to convince friends to come and do too, so I'll end up running solo for Dumbo.
    It's a good thing I have an annual pass, I definetely wouldn't make the trip out if I didn't. Darn it why do they have to be so fun? It'd be easier to skip if the races sucked.

That being said, I've got my calendar marked for January 22

"If you can dream it, you can do it."
    "You can't run from trouble, there ain't no place that far."

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard that early registration will start tomorrow or Wednesday for APs, DVC and Disney Visa. Has anyone seen anything posted online? I've looked at DVC and the AP site and have found nothing.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    I've heard that early registration will start tomorrow or Wednesday for APs, DVC and Disney Visa. Has anyone seen anything posted online? I've looked at DVC and the AP site and have found nothing.
    runDisney was confirming at the expo that Disneyland half weekend registration would open for APs on January 22nd.

And you are correct - there has been no update / confirmation of that date on the AP runDisney site. <sigh>
    RunningFool

I have a disney visa but haven't used it in a long time. How would I find out if I could register early through that avenue?

heather

Next Run: Princess Half
    Next Disney trip: Disney World Feb 18-23

Quote Originally Posted by heatherya View Post
    I have a disney visa but haven't used it in a long time. How would I find out if I could register early through that avenue?
    You will get an email from Disney Visa with information and a link to register. Make sure that your account is set up with a current email address and that you have it set to receive such emails.

2014 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Anyone know what time registration opens on Wednesday for AP holders?

Force is strong in this one

Hmmm, maybe I should get a Disney Visa just for that purpose.

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elcid3 View Post
    Anyone know what time registration opens on Wednesday for AP holders?
    Generally it's 12:00 p.m. EST / 9:00 a.m. PST.

And yet, still nothing updated on the AP Disney site.
    RunningFool

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I just noticed that the Disneyland AP Twitter account sent out this tweet earlier today: https://twitter.com/DisneylandAP/sta...17775235964928

ETA: Here's what the page says once you log in.

Beginner or experienced runner, everyone's invited to runDisneythe premier destination race series and the only place in the world where every mile is magic!

Experience spectacular runs through Disney theme parks on the most amazing courses on earth. Plus enjoy special Disney entertainment and bring home uniquely designed Disney finisher medals.

Seven fantastic themed weekends include Marathons, Half Marathons, 10Ks, 5Ks and runDisney Kids Races, which create magical memories for the entire family. Celebrate your run and keep the magic going with a fabulous Disney vacation.

Early Registration for Annual Passholders

Annual Passholders, enjoy early booking periods for the following runDisney weekends:

Expedition Everest Challenge at Walt Disney World Resort

December 11, 2013 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    May 3, 2014 Event date
    Register Now

Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend at the Disneyland Resort

January 22, 2014 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    August 29-31, 2014 Event date

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort

February 5, 2014 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    October 3-4, 2014 Event date

Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort

February 26, 2014 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    November 7-8, 2014 Event date

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort

April 16, 2014 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    January 7-11, 2015 Event date

Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort

July 7, 2014 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    February 19-22, 2015 Event date

Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort

August 6, 2014 Annual Passholder early registration opens
    May 7-10, 2015 Event date

Additional Information

To be eligible for runDisney offers, Annual Passholders must be at least 18 years of age and must register through the special Annual Passholder link available on this page.
    Offers are subject to change or termination without notice.
    All upcoming events, dates, times and prices subject to change.
    All races are subject to age eligibility requirements and capacity limits.
    Registration fees are non-refundable.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Well it's 9AM and nothing yet!! I'm sitting very impatiently at work waiting lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    Well it's 9AM and nothing yet!! I'm sitting very impatiently at work waiting lol.
    The link apparently still isn't up for DL APs, but is for WDW!!! What about us?!! I'm freaking out...

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeygirlforever View Post
    The link apparently still isn't up for DL APs, but is for WDW!!! What about us?!! I'm freaking out...
    Here are the links.

Dumbo Double Dare
    Half Marathon

Oh my gosh thank you thank you thank you!!! You were a lifesaver! These links worked perfectly and I got my whole team registered!! I can't thank you enough! I was really starting to panic. Doesn't sound like Disney has the link fixed yet!!

It's kind of silly, but I was hoping they'd release the theme for the 5k and 10k before I need to decide whether to sign up. I'm 90% going to do the 10k, and would probably add the 5k if I really liked the theme. We're not doing the half this year (probably going to watch out of town friends' little ones so they can run, and we just don't want to spend the $$ for that many Disney races in a year.)

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

That's not silly, I was wondering the same thing!
    I've taken the plunge and signed up for the Dumbo Double Dare!!!
    I've already told myself that this is a one and done race for me, it's pretty pricey (but I've already got plans in the works for the Coast to Coast next year, I just can't help myself!)