Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Potty training in Disney

Potty training in Disney

I'm new here, with a very specific question about toilets in the park. My just-turned-3 year old is potty training and is beyond the point of turning back. The problem is he's terrified of those loud, powerful flushing public toilets. Don't know what you call them. Can I assume all Disney's toilets are this industrial type?

Our only option may be to use the family restrooms if he'll go for it. I can take him, then Daddy can flush after we leave. But I believe these are few and far between, am I correct?

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Potty training in Disney

Sticky notes. Put it over the magic eye and the auto flush is disabled until you remove it. Then your little one controls when the flush happens!

Cathy

I do think they all autoflush. Post-its are your friend. My youngest hated them until she was almost 10. She stil isn't crazy about them. Even stickers work, just make sure you take them with you when finished.

If noise is an issue for him, also consider foam earplugs for some of the rides as well as fireworks.

How about the kid-sized potties in the Baby Care center? I don't remember for sure but I don't think they are auto-flush. Only downside is there's only one Baby Care Center per park.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

There is only one Baby Care but there are multiple family bathrooms in DCA, there is only ONE family bathroom in Disneyland and it's hidden in the Aladdin meet and greet area but the post it notes work well to allow him to control the 'when' the noise happens.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Thank you all. I wasn't even talking about auto-flush. He's scared of any toilet that's loud. A flush from a neighboring stall would scare him. If I can't get him to a family bathroom, earplugs may be a solution.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lilredhen View Post
    Our only option may be to use the family restrooms if he'll go for it. I can take him, then Daddy can flush after we leave. But I believe these are few and far between, am I correct?
    And they have the auto-flush toilets, also.

The post-it note trick is brilliant and I'll second and third the Baby Care Center suggestions. Yes, only one per park but if you can manage to be there at the right time, they're fabulous.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

There are also family restrooms here and there, not sure if that helps or not.

The mosted wasted of days, is the one without laughter-E E Cummings

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nursechrissy32 View Post
    There are also family restrooms here and there, not sure if that helps or not.
    As MammaSilva said, there are a few but mostly in DCA, not really in Disneyland:

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    There is only one Baby Care but there are multiple family bathrooms in DCA, there is only ONE family bathroom in Disneyland and it's hidden in the Aladdin meet and greet area.
    There's the one in Bug's Land. Where else am I forgetting?
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    There's also two (?) over by San Francisco/Little Mermaid.
    There are two (?) in Cars Land, but it seems like one or both of them are always closed/broken.

In Disneyland, there is also one back by Mickey & the Magical Map. it is around the corner from the other restrooms and often overlooked.

I feel like there should be at least one more that I am forgetting, but every time I try to visualize waiting in line for a family bathroom various locations at Legoland pop into my head instead.

Carsland has family bathrooms, as well as the ones by Ariel's. In addition to Bugsland.

There is one in the Hollywood backlot as well if memory serves.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    There is one in the Hollywood backlot as well if memory serves.
    I couldn't picture a door by either set, in my head.

The more I think about it I agree, I think I'm wrong, I don't think there is one in Hollywood backlot, the nearest one would be to take the back path over to bugs land.

Quote Originally Posted by lilredhen View Post
    Thank you all. I wasn't even talking about auto-flush. He's scared of any toilet that's loud. A flush from a neighboring stall would scare him. If I can't get him to a family bathroom, earplugs may be a solution.
    Not sure when your trip is but what about starting at your local mall and trying to get him use to the noise from other stalls and letting him practice with the sticky notes etc. I have no first hand knowledge of family bathrooms but even at the local mall here there is usually a line, I can just imagine that the line at the parks would be that much longer and when my kids potty trained at the parks we couldn't always take the time to wait in a line.

Is he sitting or standing up for the potty? I'm guessing the toilets are a little tall so he might sit down? If so, you can cover his ears with your hands while he is doing his business. This worked quite well for me and my kids. There is something with the bathroom acoustics that cause those flushes to be the loudest I have every heard!

All my kids could not stand the noise of the toilets and we used the Baby Care center a lot, even sometimes the First Aid. After awhile he will become a bit more desensitized to the sound and you can help him by guiding him through the fear and discomfort.

Your ideas are extremely helpful. I feel much better about the trip now. We go 12/15 so we have a little time to prepare. I'll admit I was trying to imagine how I could carry his potty in the stroller (collapsable potties - someone should invent that!)

I found printable maps on a site called themouseforless.com so I can study before we go.

I think if we keep things mellow and move at his pace, he'll do ok there. Thanks all!

Mellow and at his pace are perfect expectations.
    Might I suggest Youtube for videos of rides? He will know what to expect. Also, read about childswap here for you and dad to be able to ride some of the other rides as well. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    As MammaSilva said, there are a few but mostly in DCA, not really in Disneyland:

There is one right when you enter Disneyland to the right, next to the ATM machine right?

I don't remember there being a family one there either. Those are so old and cramped,, I'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I don't remember there being a family one there either. Those are so old and cramped,, I'd be surprised.
    I don't think there is a family restroom there and I personally think those are the worst restrooms in all of DLR.

Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    I don't think there is a family restroom there and I personally think those are the worst restrooms in all of DLR.
    The ones by City Hall are just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by josephfive View Post
    Really? I agree it is a cramped space, however...the decor, for a bathroom that is is nice an vintage like IMO