Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Little Ones Entertained In Lines

Keeping Little Ones Entertained In Lines

We're coming out with our 5 kids, aged 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6.

They're active and curious and I suspect that they'll want to run around while standing in line.

Has anyone come up with any clever ways to keep them entertained? We're planning on bringing iPhones and an iPod (maybe a LeapPad) with some videos and games on them, but those only hold their attention for so long.

2. # ADS

Bubbles, drawing, taking video diary video's "what's been your favorite ride" "who is your favorite character and why", I spy, Telephone, and snacks.

WDW: 2012 (Contemporary), 2010 (Caribbean Beach) , 2007 (Animal Kingdom), 2001 (Beach Club)
    DLR: 5/2014, 4/2014, 10/2013, 1989, 1979

Bubbles have been a big hit in line for my little ones, who are currently almost 2 and almost 4. Bubbles have the added bonus of entertaining other kids in line as well. I also pull out snacks halfway through a line if they're starting to get antsy.

The biggest thing for us though is knowing what length of line our kids can tolerate. If we want to ride a popular ride that doesn't have Fastpass, like the Nemo subs or Toy Story or Peter Pan, we'll do that first thing in the morning. We're just setting ourselves up for some sort of crisis if we try to make them stand in an hour or more long line. The older one now is usually pretty good for a 30-45 minute wait if it's something he really wants to ride, but maybe only once or twice in a day will we do that.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

We kept our 4 & 20 month old entertained by letting them have maps to the parks and look at each ride, how we were going to get there. They looked at restaurants and found the bathrooms. Let them "plan" it out. Worked like a charm. It never got old and boring for them.

How well do they get along? Could your 6 & 4 year olds be buddies, same with the 5 & 2 year old? The older ones can play games like "Eye Spy" or counting games. The best money I ever spent was on a squirt water bottle with a fan. They loved that thing and 3 of them shared one. Also second the map. Never ever gets old.
    Maybe you can reward them for not running around in a line? It could be something small, like whoever is the most _____ (quiet, still, best buddy) in line gets to pick the next ride? Gets to choose where we eat lunch, watch the parade, etc.

Personally, I don't care for having mine do electronic games in line because I don't want to have them freak out if they can't finish the game/level when it's time to board the attraction.

Pipe cleaners in addition to bubbles, or eye spy type games. Your 5 and 6 year olds would probably enjoy looking for hidden Mickey's. For us games on our phones were a last ditch type thing.
    Hit your dollar bin at Target, or Micheals, or dollar store and stock up on glow braclets. The necklace packages are too long in the backpack and just get in my way, but the bracelets come like 15 to a pack and my kids put them together for necklaces or headbands as well as use them to make friends in lines or while waiting for shows at night. Personally, I wouldn't want to haul all of those electronics around worrying about them getting set down somewhere etc.

Great ideas, guys! Thanks!

I agree with no electronics, waiting in line at Disneyland is so different from just standing around. My 6 & 5 yr old DGS made so many friends waiting in line as they just smiled and started talking to people and asking questions. We have also played I Spy, etc. and it helped us adults pass the time of day plus it ends up being a bonding time. I have to admit that when they started singing I didn't join in as I can't carry a tune at all.

Carrying a tune while singing AT Disneyland is not required, just need enthusiasm.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kagee View Post
    I agree with no electronics, waiting in line at Disneyland is so different from just standing around.
    It seems the Parenting Panel agrees, too.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

If someone started singing in a 1/2 hour line, I think I'd try to give them an iPad to distract them!

Quote Originally Posted by kagee View Post
    I agree with no electronics, waiting in line at Disneyland is so different from just standing around. My 6 & 5 yr old DGS made so many friends waiting in line as they just smiled and started talking to people and asking questions. We have also played I Spy, etc. and it helped us adults pass the time of day plus it ends up being a bonding time. I have to admit that when they started singing I didn't join in as I can't carry a tune at all.
    I'd rather see the kids in line near me playing with an electronic device than blowing bubbles or playing with a spray mister, both of which I don't particularly want landing on me.

Okay so my kids are 19,17 and 14 and when they were small waiting in line never required electronic devices. I even ask my kids now that they are not on their cell phones all day at the parks. It is just rude and takes away from family time. There is a ton of things to see and quiet games you can play in line with kids.
    Drives me crazy when I see 2 and 3 year olds walking around the gym with iPads! It's no wonder kids attention spans are in the toilet.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I'd rather see the kids in line near me playing with an electronic device than blowing bubbles or playing with a spray mister, both of which I don't particularly want landing on me.
    I totally entirely agree. One of my biggest peeves is those bubble guns they sell in the parks and kids just standing around blowing bubbles all over the place.

But when it's happened in line near me in line, usually they've blown & sprayed away from me. If not, it hasn't been a problem to just ask them to change direction. Usually they're happy to comply.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

It never occurred to me that people would be annoyed by bubbles! That's not a snarky statement, it's honest. I'll keep that in mind if we ever bring bubbles again to make sure we aren't blowing them directly on people. And no, I don't let my kids (almost 2 and almost 4) play with electronics in line.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    It never occurred to me that people would be annoyed by bubbles! That's not a snarky statement, it's honest. I'll keep that in mind if we ever bring bubbles again to make sure we aren't blowing them directly on people. And no, I don't let my kids (almost 2 and almost 4) play with electronics in line.
    It's the soapy film.

I'm much more bothered by the spray bottles, though. One time we were in line for Dumbo and I had a baby in the Baby Bjorn. This lady in front of us had a mister that she thought was AWESOME. She was just spraying EVERYONE without asking or anything. I don't like to be sprayed with water. It's just an issue I have. But I was carrying a young baby, too. The Fairy Godmother and I were both trying to cover the baby and FG told the lady to please stop.

But I seriously doubt you would've done that, Jen.

That makes sense, Adrienne. And I guess I was more thinking of a stray bubble or two rather than blowing them or squirting water right in someone's face (which would be obnoxious and unnecessary. Especially to a baby.)

I think if you're sitting on the curb waiting for a parade, the occasional stream of bubbles are fun. Blowing bubbles in the Peter Pan queue, not so much.

I agree about the misters being more annoying. If you want to spray it once on your kid's face because it's hot, fine. Letting a kid play with it, no, because I don't like the sensation of being spit on. Over and over and over.

I suppose it goes without saying that water guns and other water squirting toys, also note terribly considerate.

The question is what the alternative to bubbles/electronic devices is. A screaming kid trying to run around is probably worse (though I agree that kids would need to at least watch their aim with bubbles).

Blog Entries

Mine is 9 1/2 years old now. If it's a shorter line (20-ish minutes or less), she's usually fine either talking to kids around us or chattering with us. If the line is longer, we go with the electronics. I'd much rather let her play with her DS than have her decide 35 minutes into a 45 minute line that she's REALLY REALLY bored. If I know she's playing a game which will involve finishing a level or having to save, I put her on notice of that a fair distance from the end (for instance - when we pick up our glasses for Toy Story).

Besides -- if she has her DS, she's not asking to use my phone, which is especially good if I want to be playing something on my phone while we wait.

I'm also on the "don't spray that on me" bandwagon. I'm fond of bubbles -- but only if they're in a place where I can control the interaction. Having bubbles pop on my glasses or sunglasses would make me grumpy. I've been in the spray zone for kids with misters/fans before. I don't mind when it's hot out & it actually feels good -- but I've been around kids who are going nuts with sprayers when it's not hot & when I haven't wanted to get wet.

When we were at the parks in August with a friend's family, we were playing "20 Questions" types of games -- mostly involving TV shows/characters, actors, books, movies ("I'm thinking of a movie character ... start asking questions so you can guess who she is" kind of thing) & it was a lot of fun. It kept adults and four kids (6, 9, 12, 16) engaged while we stood in line for Space Mountain.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

My "children" are 19 and almost 16, and we still play guessing games in line. We call the 20 Questions game "I'm thinking..." as in "I'm thinking of a person" and we go until someone figures it out. We often use Disney related answers while on a Disney trip. When they were a little younger they were fascinated with a little handheld game called "20 Q". It works like 20 Questions, but the machine asks the questions and guesses what we're thinking of. I'm pretty sure you can turn the beeping noise off or way down too.

And once it starts getting dark we break out the glow stick bracelets we brought from home, decorate ourselves and offer them to the kids around us

We loved our 20Q balls. They were round like a ball and about the size of your palm. It was pretty cool how accurate they were. Walmart still sells them.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

With 5 kids, they're going to entertain themselves in lines. You can use the maps to talk about where you've been and where you're going to go next. When you're in line, remember, this is DISNEY, there's going to be a lot to see along the way. Point out the interesting things you're seeing in the lines. One thing that struck me this weekend is how much the lines keep MOVING. If they're too busy with their heads in the games, they're not going to be able to see where they're going! In the Jungle Cruise line, we were almost constantly moving the entire time. Same thing with many other rides.

I don't mean to sound dismissive of your concern but you might be over-thinking it. <--- happy face. I'm not being mean.

Our son is almost 10 and generally behaves well in line as long as it is something he wants to do. We do try to give him an estimate as to how long the wait is and emphasize with him that everyone needs to stand in line. He has grown up going to DL/WDW and has learned to deal with the lines so I don't know how we would manage with it if he were older when he first went.

Adk has a great point. I was racking my brain to think of how we dealt with the kids and lines and came up empty besides snacks. They are constantly moving so it really hasn't been an issue.