Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Defective fridges at Disney?

Defective fridges at Disney?

Another board has info (but no original link) about pretty much all the Disney hotel room fridges having been found to be defective. It says they are all to be removed and replaced which will take up to 4 months. I am staying at POR next month and am pretty sure we cannot manage without a fridge. Does anyone have any firm information about this?

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

2. # ADS

I just read a thread on easywdw.com about it. Apparently there was a fire at the GCH in DL caused by one of these fridges, so out of caution they're removing all of them. I don't have any info on a timetable.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I've seen this on a few sites today, and an waiting for word from Disney.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

It's true. Disney sent out an email to travel agents about it today. All fridges are being removed from hotel rooms at WDW, Disneyland and Aulani. The exceptions are DVC villas (including Studios); Family Suites at Art of Animation and All Star Movies; and Ft. Wilderness Cabins -- they'll be leaving the fridges in place at those locations. Replacement estimated to take 4 months.

Mary
    MouseSavers.com

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I just spoke with a spokesperson at Disneyland, and she said the replacement began a few weeks ago at the Disneyland Resort, and all but a handful of refrigerators have already been replaced.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries

I get that there are thousands of rooms in WDW but to me 4 months is quite a long time. Maybe that the supply isn't ready for the demand, but I'm not thrilled not having one. At $175/night I expect a fridge in my room. 10 years ago...maybe not, but now, yes I do.

Kristin

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Especially since it was listed in the room details (if moderate or above) when you booked your room!

Cathy

^ this. I am not given to kicking off and I appreciate they can't deal with this overnight. But a 14 day trip in August with no fridge? I'm potentially not happy.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

I'm also looking at 10 days in August. I've been thinking about this since last night and have a few thoughts. 4 months has got to be worst case option, but that is a lot of rooms. I've also heard that there has been issues with the set up of shoving those fridges in small closed closets in the past, so maybe they will address that. I don't know why Disney can replace all of DL fridges with no inconvenience, but we'd loose 4 months at WDW.

Second, I remember before fridges and we had a system that worked well that I will try again. Packed a collapsable ice chest and three large ziplock bags for ice. Refresh the ice in the morning and before sleep (yes that may be an issue with everyone getting ice). I also may purchase a cheep styrofoam cooler and leave it.

Additionally, many stores cell room temperature milk in containers that look like large juice boxes (this is what they do in France). I've tasted it and it seems fine, especially for cereal and coffee. If I can find it, I will only need to keep a small amount cold at a time- anyone in Florida seen these?

After thinking about it, I guess I'm definitely not happy about it, but it is like the heat and crowds-- another challenge to get around and maintain a good attitude.

Thanks to the mouseplanet for the up to date info.

Blog Entries

I think the packaging of milk that doesn't need to be refrigerated is only until its opened. Unless they put a ton of extra chemicals in the milk to keep it from spoiling, and if they do, is it still milk???

Cathy

If I remember correctly that type of milk is sold under the name Parlamot, (or something similiar) and you use to be able to get it in small juice box size, so that would be easy enough to keep one of those cold at a time with the ice. But you would definitely have to go to a real grocery store to buy that, it would not be available in the Disney shops.

Weird right! But true. Milk not refrigerated until opened. Actually, it isn't chemicals- just very high heat for a brief time (see this wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-...ure_processing) It is the same thing they do with juice boxes and very common. But not here because Americans can't adjust to milk not being refrigerated. Having said that, when I tried it I remembered it as tasting right- but maybe a little flat, if that makes sense. Definitely safe and not additional chemicals and used by millions outside of US. But is it available at Publix? If the refrigerator issue becomes a big deal- then hopefully it will be.

Blog Entries

Right, but then you'd have to buy single-servings -- because with no refrigerator, who uses a whole half gallon or even quart at once?

(Pretty sure it's called aeseptic packaging.)

Cathy

Sorry for confusion- yes they have to be refrigerated when opened. Two options- very small boxes (same size as juice boxes). Or getting slightly larger ones and using the collapsable cooler with ice (in ziplock bags highly recommended !!!), which keeps milk OK for at least a day. We are going for 10 days, so this helps us because we can buy a bunch of milk at a time and only have little if any in the cooler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Especially since it was listed in the room details (if moderate or above) when you booked your room!
    Yes! So essentially I was paying for it. Am I going to get money back? I doubt it. If this was the televisions we were talking about and not refrigerators wouldn't you expect a refund of some sort? Televisions aren't a necessity.

When I fly JetBlue and my tv doesn't work on the flight I get $15 back. It's not a necessity. It's not even standard to have your own tv on a plane. It's good customer service though.

That being said someone on another board said they called POR and the CM said all of their fridges will be replaces by July 31st, but we all know how much to believe things we hear from CMs.
    Kristin

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    That being said someone on another board said they called POR and the CM said all of their fridges will be replaces by July 31st, but we all know how much to believe things we hear from CMs.
    ...Especially since when you call POR or any other resort, you are not really calling the resort but a main switchboard.

Here is my take... and my family are big users of the in-room fridges.
    If you talk to someone at the front desk, I would bet if you were kind about it, you can see if any sort of compensation is being offered since it is a published feature of the room. I would not expect huge compensation, but I would bet that the nicer people are about the situation, the more likely you will see some magic come your way.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

I'm not after compensation. I just want a fridge!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

I understand... I was just commenting for the general viewing audience.

Personally, I think they should compensate people for not having something advertised in a room. They used to rent fridges for $10/night. So, it would make sense to deduct the same amount in a case like this.

I would bet, though, that they will take care of this rather quickly and not take the 4 months they stated.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    They used to rent fridges for $10/night. So, it would make sense to deduct the same amount in a case like this.
    I read a post on another site from a travel agent who said that she had heard from Disney on this. If you need a fridge, they'll try to get you one. If they're all out, they will indeed refund $15 a day.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I would think that if they're short of fridges, they will save them for those who have a medical need for them, rather than just for convenience.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

Thats the general consensus - medical needs come first.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Are people going to have to prove that they need it for medical reasons? People are so nutty that they may SAY they need one just to get one.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    Are people going to have to prove that they need it for medical reasons? People are so nutty that they may SAY they need one just to get one.
    You can be sure this sort of thing will happen. No doubt.

Blog Entries

What proof is there? What if I am on an antibiotic that needs to be refrigerated? This is just going to be pandemonium especially for people who don't come on these types of boards and will have no idea until they get there. At least send an email out. A note in the room is just going to create some unhappy guests which will give them a sour taste in their mouth before their vacation even starts.

Email:

"Dear guests,
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but due to keeping our guests safety our number one priority we have had to remove all of the refrigerators from the our guest rooms. We understand that in our room descriptions refrigerators are listed as amenities and this will inconvenience many of our guests. Please accept our apologies and a $15 credit/room/night will be given to all our guests. Thank for your patience and understanding."

And click send. I don't know why that is so hard.

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    What proof is there? What if I am on an antibiotic that needs to be refrigerated? This is just going to be pandemonium especially for people who don't come on these types of boards and will have no idea until they get there. At least send an email out. A note in the room is just going to create some unhappy guests which will give them a sour taste in their mouth before their vacation even starts.

Email:

"Dear guests,
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but due to keeping our guests safety our number one priority we have had to remove all of the refrigerators from the our guest rooms. We understand that in our room descriptions refrigerators are listed as amenities and this will inconvenience many of our guests. Please accept our apologies and a $15 credit/room/night will be given to all our guests. Thank for your patience and understanding."

And click send. I don't know why that is so hard.
    Because they're hoping to remedy the problem as soon as possible. If you get that email and get there and they've all or nearly all been replaced, you know there will be people saying "no I don't want one and demand the credit". They may not offer the credit unless asked.