Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Tours [Reviews and opinions wanted]

Tours [Reviews and opinions wanted]

We are interested in taking one of the tours that are available at WDW. Which tour does everyone recommend? I am leaning towards the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but we are still deciding. We will be traveling in mid-January.

2. # ADS

If you are a big fan of animals, the Wild Africa Trek in the Animal Kingdom Kilimanjaro Safaris is really nice. (It's also a bit Pricey, but I am not sure how it compares to the one you mentioned. I think the normal price for Wild Africa Trek is around $180 or $190 - you can check on the WDW web site to compare all the tours)

The 3 hour trek through the Safari area is really cool. You do have to be comfortable with heights, as there is walking over several rope bridges, probably 20-30 feet (estimating) off the ground in the early part of the tour. One person in my tour unfortunately could not get comfortable enough to do the rope bridges, so met the rest of their party at the exit (there is no way apparently to re-join the group later in the flow without doing the bridges).

They include a small meal with the tour(small, but interesting and well presented food), and you get a Wild Africa Trek water thermos (nice metal thermos) and a CD of pics of your group (as well as stock photos) mailed to you at home later.

I personally also enjoyed the Magic Behind the Steam Trains tour, that one is simply a matter of whether you are interested in trains (and willing to get to the park early!) or not. Also 3 hours, but starts before park opens (think it was 7:30 we were supposed be at the gate when I did it). Easier on the budget than the Africa Trek, I think this one was around $50 and included a trading pin specific to the tour, if you are into the pin trading.

-Dave

I did the longer Backstage Magic tour as part of my tour overdose trip, and thought that it was informative. It had the advantage of not needing a park admission, which may not matter if you are already there long enough that the extra day is only a few dollars more.

I don't think there are any right or wrong tours, it really comes down to what you are interested in and the age of the people involved.

The one I really want to do is the Sunrise Safari, but not sure I want to do it bad enough to pay for a concierge level room at AKL.. too bad it isn't offered otherwise..

Can you stay there one night at the start or end of your trip? The year we did our tours we used the Platinum Plan and planned for three days of non-stop indulgence. It was pricey, but made for an amazing trip. One night at AKL, even in Concierge, may be worth the splurge if it is is something you really want to do.

Just think of it as a really expensive tour ... with a free room upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1313 View Post
    If you are a big fan of animals, the Wild Africa Trek in the Animal Kingdom Kilimanjaro Safaris is really nice. (It's also a bit Pricey, but I am not sure how it compares to the one you mentioned. I think the normal price for Wild Africa Trek is around $180 or $190 - you can check on the WDW web site to compare all the tours)

The 3 hour trek through the Safari area is really cool. You do have to be comfortable with heights, as there is walking over several rope bridges, probably 20-30 feet (estimating) off the ground in the early part of the tour. One person in my tour unfortunately could not get comfortable enough to do the rope bridges, so met the rest of their party at the exit (there is no way apparently to re-join the group later in the flow without doing the bridges).

They include a small meal with the tour(small, but interesting and well presented food), and you get a Wild Africa Trek water thermos (nice metal thermos) and a CD of pics of your group (as well as stock photos) mailed to you at home later.

I personally also enjoyed the Magic Behind the Steam Trains tour, that one is simply a matter of whether you are interested in trains (and willing to get to the park early!) or not. Also 3 hours, but starts before park opens (think it was 7:30 we were supposed be at the gate when I did it). Easier on the budget than the Africa Trek, I think this one was around $50 and included a trading pin specific to the tour, if you are into the pin trading.
    One really, really cool thing about the steam trains tour is getting to take pictures looking up Main Street towards the castle with no people in it! Even as a former Cast Member who got to see the parks empty, it is cool. And riding the trains, seeing the Roundhouse, etc.

I also like the Behind The Seeds tour at Epcot. We do that on most longer trips. And it is cheap.

I want to do some of the other ones, such as Behind The Magic, etc, since I have not been in the tunnels under MK since I worked there in 92...
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I know that the OP is traveling in January, so this won't work for him. But I just read about a holiday tour that visits multiple parks, includes the Osborne Lights, a sit-down dinner, and a reserved seating at the Candlelight Processional. It sounds really cool!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I know that the OP is traveling in January, so this won't work for him. But I just read about a holiday tour that visits multiple parks, includes the Osborne Lights, a sit-down dinner, and a reserved seating at the Candlelight Processional. It sounds really cool!
    It sure does! I have never been there at Christmas since they started doing the lights on the castle, etc.
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20

Yep, Behind the Seeds is fun, not too long, cheap, and really informative - we did this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, we also did the Keys to the Kingdom two weeks ago, and REALLY loved this one! It is more expensive, but your lunch (which you order when you first get to the MK) is included, and is set up in a private area in Columbia Harbour House for when you arrive there. The whole tour took nearly 5 hours, and the best bit for us? The Utilidors, of course! We were down there for an hour altogether, and only walked a very small section of it, under Main Street and the Town Square. We also enjoyed seeing where the parade floats are kept and maintained when not in use. We had a lovely guide called Lisa, who was extremely professional and well-informed.

Well worth the extra cost, we thought. And you get a pin and a name-badge, too!

Silvercat

(Enjoy reading trip reports? Why not try my books, "Tiggerific Travels" - all 4 books available now as e-books)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
    Yep, Behind the Seeds is fun, not too long, cheap, and really informative - we did this last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, we also did the Keys to the Kingdom two weeks ago, and REALLY loved this one! It is more expensive, but your lunch (which you order when you first get to the MK) is included, and is set up in a private area in Columbia Harbour House for when you arrive there. The whole tour took nearly 5 hours, and the best bit for us? The Utilidors, of course! We were down there for an hour altogether, and only walked a very small section of it, under Main Street and the Town Square. We also enjoyed seeing where the parade floats are kept and maintained when not in use. We had a lovely guide called Lisa, who was extremely professional and well-informed.

Well worth the extra cost, we thought. And you get a pin and a name-badge, too!
    Yeah, I would like to do the KTTK tour myself!