Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32

Thread: Fastpass+, Magic Bands and MyMagic+: Share your experiences

So I know that I'm not a typical case, but as I may have mentioned before, I bought the vouchers for two Premier passes at DL during the DVC promotion. We are going to WDW in January on the Platinum plan, and each day's timing is very rigid. The last time we were on this plan we didn't even get into the parks, because for the most part we would not have had time to wait in lines. Fastpass+ is amazing for the trip that we are planning.

That said, after I was cautioned that I would not be able to add more than one FP+ day's worth of reservations on this forum, since I wouldn't have a valid admission media for more than that attached to my account, I started contacting Disney to see what could be done about this. The concierge planner that is helping us with this trip said that they cannot help with FP+ reservations, but that a different group could help once the FP+ window opened. So last month, when my window finally opened, I made 1 day reservations for two in my party (the day we are planning to go on SDMT since that was the ride I care about most) and all four days reservations for the other two in my group. I also called Disney to see what could be done with my voucher. Disney promised to email me once the issue was resolved.

A week or so later, I called back because I hadn't heard from Disney. The agent I spoke with could see the notes in the system, but had no additional information. They said that it was a DL issue and that their back end support left at 5pm (it was about 5:10). She alleged that they would follow up/escalate the issue.

I called again today and after nearly an hour (including the first 30 minutes on hold) I was first given the typical bad advise I come to expect from Disney - namely that I would need to go to DL and have them issue a Premier pass, that would not be activated until the first time I used it at the turnstyle. I pointed out that I had been to DL several times since my initial phone call and that if this was what I needed to do, someone should have told me sooner. I then asked him if it would be a problem that I currently have a Premium DL AP, as it was my understanding that people were not allowed to have two valid passes at the same time. He first told me that it would be okay, since I don't have a WDW pass. I pointed out that the Premier pass is valid on both coasts and that my DL pass is valid. I don't know what the answer to that is, because he pretty quickly went to "plan B" which was to somehow unlock the ability for me to make FP+ reservations for the dates of my trip, without the need to have a valid ticket attached to the trip. He did caution that the FP+ would disappear if not linked timely to the new AP.

After all that, I was able to copy the reservations I had already made with no [additional] problems. If this is something that they could do on their own, I'm really not sure why it took 3 phone calls before someone was willing to do it.

Oh, and FYI, I asked about the priority of the tickets since we will each receive 1-day tickets as part of our package and was told that it was "not guaranteed" that the system would use the AP before the single day ticket and that we should see guest services before we entered any turnstyles so that they could manually check the priorities and fix them if needed. This could not be done over the phone. I would be pretty livid if Disney used a single day ticket on my account when I had a valid AP so I don't quite understand why the system doesn't automatically make sure that doesn't happen. I would personally prefer to transfer my Magic Band virtual ticket to a physical ticket, but I'm not sure that is possible anymore. I suppose I will ask when I go to guest services to find out about the priorities. I do know that because of our reservation, these tickets are assigned to us and thus considered non-transferable even though they are just 1-day tickets and have not been used by anyone. While I understand non-transferability for partially used multi-day tickets, we were hoping those of us with Premier passes could donate our single day tickets to our friend who is traveling with us but not upgrading. I thought this was pretty obnoxious but I do get that we bought them as part of a package and Disney can set whatever rules they want.

I am really hoping that it is smooth sailing from here on out!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    You will not be able to easily book a 4th pass as a group at one of the park kiosks after you have used your three for the day. We were told this is due to "privacy" issues. You may have to have someone from each room book the pass for the group in that room.

You also may have to phone to link up. It shouldn't be this hard to do, but for groups of adults traveling together, or separate families wanting to plan together, it is not easy.
    my brother, his wife and my two nieces got plastic card tickets from a military base, then we bought them magic bands. The nice part was we were then able to use their cards for fpp while they write their hands and my brother was able to leave them in his wallet to swipe with. So we got eight fp and four of us ride some things twice in a row and only parents had to hand over their bands.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

We had a interesting experience on MDE last night. Someone in our traveling party was trying to add my DH to her friends and family. She couldn't "find" him so I sent her a request via email. I'm not sure what happened but when she went to try to accept the request something happened and she was the one connected to his AP and all his FP+ ressies. I called and the CM did not seem at all surprised but he was able to fix everything.

We ordered our tickets as part of a MYW package. We never had any issues using our bands. We made purchases, we all used them for the dining plan for snacks or QS, all TS we were together. FP were not an issue. Most times we were 5 minutes early and they let us on the ride.

The 2 things I don't like about them would be that they don't fit right, you can't get them molded to your wrist. First off, There is an odd corner type area where the internal components are with the Mickey head. It would be nice to have the band more flexible/supple. Secondly, The material used is not breathable. So if caught in the rain, ride a water ride or sweat, the area under the band will stay moist. I took mine off several times to dry off my wrist.

Putting a small clock on there near the Mickey head, turning the band into a watch, would be so very useful. I know most of us don't wear a watch anymore due to phones having the time. But up until a couple of years ago, I wore a watch since I was 8 years old. I kept looking at the band to see what time it was.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Putting a small clock on there near the Mickey head, turning the band into a watch, would be so very useful. I know most of us don't wear a watch anymore due to phones having the time. But up until a couple of years ago, I wore a watch since I was 8 years old. I kept looking at the band to see what time it was.
    I am shocked they haven't developed a small digital watch attachment for the bands to sell with all the other 'plus' things you can put on a magic band.
    Cathy

Secondly, The material used is not breathable. So if caught in the rain, ride a water ride or sweat, the area under the band will stay moist. I took mine off several times to dry off my wrist.
    I ended up wearing mine on the loosest setting.. so it was more of a bracelet than a watch for this exact reason.. and we were there in January, so it wasn't super hot, I can't imagine what it would have been like in July or August..

Another option would be if they had lanyards you could get so you could cut the wrist band part of it off and wear it like a pendant.

I thought the same thing.. I haven't worn a watch in years.. but if you are wearing something on your wrist.. why not put a small clock on it.. a lot of people like to disconnect when they go on vacation (I for one, can't go without my tech, but I know a lot of people would like to) and with people not wearing watches because they have clocks on their phones..

With technology today, it wouldn't be huge, and modern electronics/lcd would be pretty battery efficient, so it should be able to just piggyback off the battery already in there for the RF (but it may be a bigger draw than that battery could use).

Quote Originally Posted by yedliw View Post
    I ended up wearing mine on the loosest setting.. so it was more of a bracelet than a watch for this exact reason.. and we were there in January, so it wasn't super hot, I can't imagine what it would have been like in July or August..

Another option would be if they had lanyards you could get so you could cut the wrist band part of it off and wear it like a pendant.

I thought the same thing.. I haven't worn a watch in years.. but if you are wearing something on your wrist.. why not put a small clock on it.. a lot of people like to disconnect when they go on vacation (I for one, can't go without my tech, but I know a lot of people would like to) and with people not wearing watches because they have clocks on their phones..

With technology today, it wouldn't be huge, and modern electronics/lcd would be pretty battery efficient, so it should be able to just piggyback off the battery already in there for the RF (but it may be a bigger draw than that battery could use).
    It was humid on a couple days (my henna tattoo didn't do well and is now almost faded away due to that) and we had quiet a bit of rain. So I know all about my arm being wet lol
    WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Putting a small clock on there near the Mickey head, turning the band into a watch, would be so very useful.
    I wear a watch on my left wrist, and also put the MB on my left wrist. Having a watch head on the MB would mean that I could take my regular watch off, which would be incredibly nice.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Agree with all of the watch comments. Particularly with the timed FastPass+ reservations, I would absolutely buy a watch attachment.

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Quote Originally Posted by Nikara View Post
    Agree with all of the watch comments. Particularly with the timed FastPass+ reservations, I would absolutely buy a watch attachment.
    I was thinking that during our whole trip...Kept looking at my wrist for the time--even though I haven't worn a watch in probably 10yrs and never regularly.
    Joey

I dunno about all the watch comments. What next, you want a red pulsing LED to remind you that a FPP is coming up in ten minutes?

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Quote Originally Posted by josephbandrews View Post
    I was thinking that during our whole trip...Kept looking at my wrist for the time--even though I haven't worn a watch in probably 10yrs and never regularly.
    It's been a couple of years for me, mostly due to it pressing my arm while typing on keyboard...ok while using the wasd keys while playing games. lol but I kept checking my wrist. lol

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    I dunno about all the watch comments. What next, you want a red pulsing LED to remind you that a FPP is coming up in ten minutes?
    That would be pretty awesome!
    Joey

It's been a couple of years for me, mostly due to it pressing my arm while typing on keyboard...ok while using the wasd keys while playing games. lol but I kept checking my wrist. lol
    I haven't worn a watch in years, preferring to just pull out my cell phone. Last year I wanted a fitness band, but knew that if it didn't have a watch it would drive me crazy. The only one that had a watch on it at the time was the fitbit that was recalled before I could buy it and find out if I had the skin sensitivity which caused it to be recalled. So I just didn't buy one. I received one for my birthday this year (right before the new Fitbit came out so it is an off-brand, sigh). I am not looking forward to having both an exercise band and a Magic band on my wrist at the same time, but I feel strongly that if you put something on my wrist it needs to be able to tell time.

At a minimum, I am surprised that one of the sliders or other accessories doesn't have a watch function. That is the one that I would consider buying if it existed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    I would rather get an alert via MDE to my phone when FP+ windows are approaching..

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

If we're being trolled, it's gonna be a nanosecond before we get clocks for our Magic Bands...I would love it. HATE taking my phone out to check the time. I much prefer the watch. But hey, I hardly use my phone now! I'm certainly not the "norm."

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

No sure if this has been talked about yet but during our trip (dec. 28- Jan 5), we were able to get extra fast passes after our original three where used (or expired). As I think most know you have to go to a FP+ kiosk to do this, the apps aren't programmed to do this yet, but what we found was if we took what was available we could then change it on our phones. So if we wanted Soarin' but it was only available at 10-11pm and we took it many times we were then able to go in and get an earlier time for Soarin'. And in some cases we could actually change to a different ride that wasn't showing up on the FP+ kiosk.
    Hope this helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    So I know that I'm not a typical case, but as I may have mentioned before, I bought the vouchers for two Premier passes at DL during the DVC promotion. We are going to WDW in January on the Platinum plan, and each day's timing is very rigid.

I was first given the typical bad advise I come to expect from Disney - namely that I would need to go to DL and have them issue a Premier pass, that would not be activated until the first time I used it at the turnstyle.

Oh, and FYI, I asked about the priority of the tickets since we will each receive 1-day tickets as part of our package and was told that it was "not guaranteed" that the system would use the AP before the single day ticket and that we should see guest services before we entered any turnstyles so that they could manually check the priorities and fix them if needed. This could not be done over the phone.
    To update my own story, we are now back from our trip to WDW. The Magic bands were shipped to arrive 12/31 for our 1/4 check-in. This could have been a problem since we left early to do Universal Studios before WDW. Fortunately, we found our mailman down the street before we drove to the airport (on 12/31) and got the package with the Magic Bands from her. I assume Disney could have done a work-around or issued generic bands but it seems like they mailed them pretty late for this trip. We activated our Premier passes at DL on 12/28 and despite me telling the cast member at the ticket booth that we had been told there was a way to issue the Premier pass but not activate it until it was used at the turnstyle, they issued with an expiration date of 12/28/15. We did not go into any park that day, as we had other plans. She also issued my daughter a Deluxe pass with the same expiration date. Since we were using tickets that were supposed to be activated by the end of the year, I wasn't too fussed, but we did lose some time since we didn't get to go into the parks that day.

I linked our Premier passes to the Magic Bands as soon as they were received, and then didn't use the physical pass for anything but the discount and we had none of the problems I had feared when using the Premier pass at the non-originating park. I don't know if that is because those problems are now resolved or if they are just masked by the Magic Bands. We have yet to use the passes at DL so I don't know if we will have any problems there.

We were given conflicting advise regarding checking the priority of the tickets, with some cast members telling us it had to be done at Guest relations and others saying it could be checked at the hotel and/or any ticket booth. We tried to have guest relations check the priorities but didn't have time so would up letting the ticket both check and fix the priority problem. Per them, the 1-day ticket was scheduled to be used before the annual passes.

At the end of our trip, we asked the guest services/relations at DTD to confirm that there were still unused 1-day tickets on our Magic Bands, and at that point they were willing to take them off our Magic Bands and give us plastic tickets. The cast member that helped my husband even told him that he could give the one-day ticket as a gift, as it was unused. This was very different advise than what we were originally given, but more in keeping with what I had expected.

Overall, it was very pleasant to use the Magic Bands in lieu of a hotel key, park admission, and FP keeper. The very first time we used the FP+ feature, one in our party questioned why she had to touch her band a second time and was snapped at, but that was a pretty quick learning curve. That guest actually questioned (longingly) when DL will be getting Magic Bands. I'm not sure we are ready for that, but it seems they are coming here anyway so we shall see.

We have some old WDW passes that don't expire. I planned on using some of them during upcoming trips, and possibly buying a new no-expiration pass for my daughter, but now I am a bit gun-shy because of the whole priority issues. Right now, my son has 6-days of park hopper and 9-days of "plus." I was going to buy him a length of use ticket for our next trip since I think the non-expiring park hoppers have the most value when they are used in 1-3 day increments and we will be there for longer than that, but now I'm reconsidering if every time he takes a trip it will have to start with guest relations to make sure that the priorities are correct. Of course, unless we use up all of the remaining 6 days (which is unlikely) then we are going to have the problem with his ticket on a future trip.

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I linked our Premier passes to the Magic Bands as soon as they were received, and then didn't use the physical pass for anything but the discount and we had none of the problems I had feared when using the Premier pass at the non-originating park.
    This is very good to hear. Perhaps you were just lucky, but I'm hoping that they have indeed fixed the problems that have dogged me since I starting buying the Premier.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by rph13 View Post
    No sure if this has been talked about yet but during our trip (dec. 28- Jan 5), we were able to get extra fast passes after our original three where used (or expired). As I think most know you have to go to a FP+ kiosk to do this, the apps aren't programmed to do this yet, but what we found was if we took what was available we could then change it on our phones. So if we wanted Soarin' but it was only available at 10-11pm and we took it many times we were then able to go in and get an earlier time for Soarin'. And in some cases we could actually change to a different ride that wasn't showing up on the FP+ kiosk.
    Hope this helps someone.
    Sounds good to me! Will try it if we do get to go in March as planned. Although Joey is trying to sneak in an extra trip next month...
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea