Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fastpass+, Magic Bands and MyMagic+: Share your experiences

"Corporatism" has always been something we have tried (somewhat successfully) to ignore while at the parks, especially easier since evil Mike Eisner was tossed out. But it seems lately that the bean counters have finally succeeded in taking over full control.

The fastpass system is broken. The "fix" they have made with the fastpass+ is only going to make it worse, if early indications are of any value. This is leading up to a paid fastpass, if you ask me, or it is, at the very least, a mean-spirited, money-grabbing way to make people extend their visits to make sure they get to ride all their favorite rides.

I love Disney and the memory of Walt so very much, and cannot imagine a life without it. But the tipping point is near. Between the misguided Avatarland, the cancerous malignancy that is the DVC, the pettiness of the new resort drink system, the steadily worsening quality of Disney and Pixar movies and television offerings, not to mention the total abandonment of hand-drawn cartoons, the end may be near, at least for me.

Hope remains, thanks to possible addition of Star Wars attractions at HS (different from Avatarland, as Star Wars is iconic, while Avatarland is based on high-tech renderings of seemingly plagiaristic endeavors, and because of its placement in a park dealing with the entertainment industry --I doubt I'd have the same feelings if Disney sought to add an Avatar-based attraction or two at HS instead of at AK), and because of the new Fantasyland additions, but I find myself wishing that Roy Disney (the younger) was still around to save the day a third time. The fact remains: someone needs to step up and save the day, because saving is needed.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

2. # ADS

Visiting WDW Since 1982

I must admit I've had mixed feelings about the FP concept in general. You obviously have to use it if it's there, but is it of any real benefit? It seems like you get a good deal when you use it, saving all that time. But what about the extra time you spend in line when you don't have a FP and all those people who do cut in line ahead of you? At the end of the day, none of the rides have actually run any more people through - just rearranged the sequence a bit. So if you spend a full day there at best all you will do is break even.

It should be interesting to see how it's working when I'm there in May. But I think I would agree with those who say it should be abolished!

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
    "Corporatism" has always been something we have tried (somewhat successfully) to ignore while at the parks, especially easier since evil Mike Eisner was tossed out. But it seems lately that the bean counters have finally succeeded in taking over full control.

The fastpass system is broken. The "fix" they have made with the fastpass+ is only going to make it worse, if early indications are of any value. This is leading up to a paid fastpass, if you ask me, or it is, at the very least, a mean-spirited, money-grabbing way to make people extend their visits to make sure they get to ride all their favorite rides.

I love Disney and the memory of Walt so very much, and cannot imagine a life without it. But the tipping point is near. Between the misguided Avatarland, the cancerous malignancy that is the DVC, the pettiness of the new resort drink system, the steadily worsening quality of Disney and Pixar movies and television offerings, not to mention the total abandonment of hand-drawn cartoons, the end may be near, at least for me.

Hope remains, thanks to possible addition of Star Wars attractions at HS (different from Avatarland, as Star Wars is iconic, while Avatarland is based on high-tech renderings of seemingly plagiaristic endeavors, and because of its placement in a park dealing with the entertainment industry --I doubt I'd have the same feelings if Disney sought to add an Avatar-based attraction or two at HS instead of at AK), and because of the new Fantasyland additions, but I find myself wishing that Roy Disney (the younger) was still around to save the day a third time. The fact remains: someone needs to step up and save the day, because saving is needed.
    Sorry you feel this way but I really enjoyed it and thought it was great
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Epcot is now testing a tiered FP+ through the holidays. You can only choose one FP+ for an E-ticket level attraction like Soarin or Test Track. You get one or the other, not both. Then you get two FP+ for the lower level attractions.

Sounds like they're taking something that was delightfully simple and mucking it up until it is too complicated to even have a remote chance to work well. It may be that the best fastpass system may be no fastpass system at all. And, again, I'll add that this may just be that shake out phase; perhaps once all aspects of fastpass + are in effect! it will work flawlessly.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

Yet Another Discussion Thread about FastPass +

I am just trying to wrap my brain around the whole Fastpass + concept...

If you pick three Fastpass + attractions for the evening at HS...will you be able to get regular fastpasses in the morning at MK?

Once you use your three fastpass + passes, can you then get regular fastpasses?

I have seen other discussion boards where others are saying they were given the choice of a fastpass + option to get seating at Be Our Guest restaurant for lunch...isn't that a sneaky way of letting there be reservations for a QS restaurant? I think either make it a TS or leave it open as a QS restaurant.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~ Walt Disney ~
    1982 Off-site, BC 9/01, ASMo 1/04, ASMu 8-9/08, POFQ 4/09, BC/POR 7/10, AKL and Wyndham Grand Resort at Bonnet Creek 7&8/12, CS 11/12, Disney Dream 3/13, POR and BW 12/13-1/14, Pop Century 7/14, Fort Wilderness 8/15, POR/AoA (MNSSHP and Food and Wine Festival 10/15), Fort Wilderness 7/16, Off-site 12/16, Off-site 12/17, Off-site 12/18 and Disney Magic, 7/19 Off-site DL/DCA

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fastpass+

Technically, FP+ is still in testing phases.

Cathy

Blog Entries

Yet Another Discussion Thread about FastPass +

Disney is still testing/tweaking the FP+ system. At one point, you could get a regular FP and FP+ on the same day. How/if that will still be the case during your trip is unknown while they're tweaking.
    Just in the last few days they tweaked the system for Epcot, for Nov/Dec trips.

Cathy

Hopefully all the complications listed above are just because of this being in "test mode". Perhaps it was worsened by the (now closed apparently) loophole with FP+ participants also using normal room key cards for regular FP participation as well.

I'm trying to mentally calculate how many normal FP tickets one could reasonably expect to collect in a given day. I'm thinking with the time restrictions before you could collect another, it's somewhere around 4 to maybe 6, and that might be if you based all of your planning on exactly when you could collect another FP and riding on the attractions for those FPs. Of course, no one was competing with you regarding pre-planned times in that scenario.

This is just thinking out loud, so be gentle if you think I'm crazy and you have gotten 12 FPs on a normal day and had an enjoyable day. The whole point of this pondering being if the double dipping that was possible earlier could have been the sole reason for things like the example of FP for Toy Story being gone by 5 minutes past 9.

I've not yet personally been there when any of this FP+ system was in effect in a major way, but all the things I'm reading above seem way too complicated and restrictive.

If this is how hard it is to get a regular FP when people doing FP+ can only sign up for 3 in a day, can you imagine how hard it would be if there were more than 3 available? (several posts have indicated they would like the new system if more than 3 sign ups were allowed)

Not everyone can plan 6 months in advance. Some jobs are not scheduled with that amount of precision in terms of when people can take time off due to dynamics of the job.

It's not unreasonable to expect that certain lower capacity situations (like Cinderella's Royal Table reservations) would not be able to be scheduled for people in that situation (or that you can't get other ADRs for your party at the exact time you wish to eat), but if the recent scenarios described above end up being the long term normal, it now is also going to become harder to even get to experience any of the major attractions.

It's almost like any big ticket ride will revert to the state they are in when they first debut (i.e., multiple hour waits) if you are not an on-site visitor with the FP+ system scheduled 6 months ahead. I see Dumbo as the actual trend setter here with now having twin rides, though obviously most other attractions don't lend themselves to that solution to deal with rider throughput.

I'm hoping when they "throw the FP+ switch" and it's fully operational, we are all pleasantly surprised.

My mother is trying to schedule a trip with my sister's family next summer, and I'm a little worried after reading all the above that this could have a negative effect on the trip.

This is not likely going to become a routine trip as it is for most people on this board (nothing to do with FP+ implementation, just because it's a costly vacation), this is probably a one time trip while the kids are still kids (maybe twice, but would be quite a few years down the road). I am seriously wondering as I read all of this if it might be better to wait a year until this has played out with a little more certainty.

-Dave

I made my FP+ selections last week and don't even want to see how they have just recently tweaked the system! I'm afraid of losing what took me a long time to figure out. I have soarin' and test track back to back now which is great for me. From what I understand, I probably cannot get regular FP's too, which I'm fine with since I feel I am doing more than enough planning at this point. If this was one of my first trips, I'd be very frustrated. Hopefully when testing is done and the system is rolled out it will make sense and be easier for people to figure out!

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey everyone,
    I did merge the two threads about FP+ together since they were pretty much covering the same sorts of questions.

As for the latest news about the tiered system being tested at Epcot that just started, if you had your FP+ choices made already, you will be OK.
    Just dont change anything.

The FP+ system is very much still in a transitional phase. Some sing its praises. Some curse it. Personally, I think until the testing phase is over, you are going to see a lot of differing reports.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

The FP+ system is very much still in a transitional phase. Some sing its praises. Some curse it. Personally, I think until the testing phase is over, you are going to see a lot of differing reports.
    For those people who make one or two trips in their lifetime and do not know how to "run the traps" I think fastpass+ is great. If you have been several times and go yearly then perhaps this takes away a bit on the "advantage"
    Personally I will be glad not to be at rope drop moving with the herd to Toy Story or Soarin. Get a little sleep and maybe even eat a decent breakfast. I know I will be spending more money at Disney as I normally do breakfast in the room and hit the buses.
    If you still go to rope drop you can now ride Soarin first thing without getting in a fastpass line. Magic Kingdom will need 4 or 5 fastpass + to be really effective.
    Last edited by GusMan; 11-04-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Yeah, I suppose, but in general things are slower at rope drop so I will continue to get there then. I can get a whole day's worth of rides in 2 hours if I can time it right (with the aid of touringplans). I just think this whole thing (as it is now) is incredibly restrictive, but we all thought that with ADRs and now we're used to it.

I think that the AP and last minute people are at a GREAT disadvantage, and this is of pretty significant concern.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

"The cancerous malignancy that is the DVC"....love that line and I feel the same way!

John

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    I just think this whole thing (as it is now) is incredibly restrictive, but we all thought that with ADRs and now we're used to it.
    I think that the AP and last minute people are at a GREAT disadvantage, and this is of pretty significant concern.
    Agreed with you Tina. There used to be a time where the phone line would be jammed just to get CRT ressies. Now, we know that if you want to eat at your fave TS eatery, you pretty much need an ADR. People grumbled. The seats still get filled. We got used to it.

There was a lot of complaints about the FP return time loophole being closed up. We got used to it.

People are going to get used to not being able to use their 5+ year old resort mugs visit after visit. We will get used to the ways of the RFID-based offerings.

People will probably get used to FP+ and the whole MDE arrangement in general. Its probably going to take a bit of time for all the bugs to be worked out. But overall, we will get used to the different way to tour. The question is - will it be a better way to tour. That is still to be seen as more people try out the system over the next several months and really give it a good run, and be able to really convey the differences between "now" and "then" in an objective manner.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Magic Bands and MyMagic+: Share your experiences

As the Magic Band rollout continues to expand, share your experiences with with them and the whole MyMagic+ initiative in this thread. What has worked well for you, and what has been a source of frustration?

I don't have a problem with the concept - in fact, I think it would be a great advantage to book FPs in advance. For me, the problem came with the fact that I have the Premier passport (the AP for both DL and WDW), and as of my last trip at the beginning of October they didn't know how to deal with it. It's since been added on to my MDE account, so we'll see what happens next time.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I chose not to take part in the MagicBand test during my Wine & Dine Half Marathon weekend visit as time was limited. However, I was met at the front desk during check-in with a pre-loaded MagicBand that I took only because the Cast Member couldn't guarantee that it would be destroyed if I didn't take it. The Cast Member who was working checkout (at 4:30 a.m. on Sunday after the race) could not print out my receipt without using a MagicBand so I'm still trying to get a receipt copy.

Most people I talked to who tried the band were extremely displeased including one family who, after pre-checking in online, still experienced a 3-hour check-in at the hotel due to issues they and others were experiencing in setting up the bands.

I did notice in the gift shop you could purchase all sorts of decorations and covers for your MagicBand.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

And now another testing phase for FP+. KTTW cards being phased out at Pop and the end to FP double dipping.

As part of our test-and-adjust process for MyMagic+, Guests arriving at Disney’s Pop Century Resort beginning November 14 will be issued only a MagicBand for use throughout their stay at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Guests will continue to engage in MyMagic+ testing in the same way that all other resort Guests do.
    Upon check in, Guests will receive their MagicBands if they did not receive them at home after customizing them in advance using My Disney Experience.
    Front Desk Cast Members can provide an RF-enabled Key to the World card if a Guest requests it instead of a MagicBand. The RF-enabled Key to the World card functions the same way a MagicBand does at touch points. Guests with RF-enabled Key to the World cards will touch to enter their resort room and theme parks and water parks (with valid theme park admission), touch to pay (optional) and touch to redeem FastPass+ selections

Reactive Guest FAQs:

Why am I only getting a MagicBand and not a Key to the World card?
    As part of our test-and-adjust process with MyMagic+, we are conducting a test
    where Guests staying at Disney’s Pop Century Resort will be issued only a
    MagicBand for use throughout their stay.

Is there an option if I don’t want to wear a MagicBand?
    Yes, you can use an RF-enabled Key to the World card instead. It functions the
    same way a MagicBand does at touch points; you will use it to touch to enter
    their resort room and theme parks and water parks (with valid theme park
    admission), touch to pay (optional) and touch to redeem FastPass+ selections.

How does the MagicBand work?
    Radio Frequency (RF) technology inside the band interacts with touch points
    located in places such as resort room doors, theme park main entrances,
    FastPass+ entrances, payment locations and on mobile devices used by Cast
    Members.

What personal information is stored on my MagicBand?
    None. MagicBands contain only a randomly assigned code that securely links to
    an encrypted database. Extensive measures are in place to protect Guest
    information.

What if I lose my MagicBand?
    You can disable it yourself via My Disney Experience. You also can report a lost
    MagicBand to a Guest Relations or Front Desk Cast Member, and they can
    disable it for you.

If I am issued a Key to the World card can I still get FASTPASS tickets
    when I’m in the park in addition to the FastPass+ selections I make on My
    Disney Experience?
    No. Because the mag stripes are not active on Key to the World cards issued to
    Guests participating in this test., they will not work in FASTPASS machines. By
    staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, you have the benefit of reserving
    access to some of your favorite attractions ahead of time with Disney FastPass+
    service.

Can I make FastPass+ selections for more than one park on the same day?
    You can make FastPass+ selections for only one park per day for each day of
    valid theme park admission.

Blog Entries

Fastpass+ [Merged]

Interesting. For our large group dinner where we had the waiter split our check, he had to use the cards because it was too confusing otherwise. I think we had 6 or 7 checks at the table.

Cathy

Blog Entries

I leave I January and so far am not impressed, the fp+ is pretty much a joke all the times they offer are late in the day or night time. so I guess we will not be able to fp in the morning and we like to do rope drop as much as possible and from what I understand if you don't use a magic band you don't get a fp. so that will stink for us and cut our rides down to almost nothing. I think they should have it set up where you can get a fp when youget to the park but with a band instead of a kttw card that won't work. Wish I had realized this when I booked I might have just not gone but the dh and dd sil and dgd are excited about going. haven't told them yet we will spend our days doing the "line ride". I will try to get one or two fp for afternoon or evening but like I said the times are so spread out that it will not be really useable. one ride at 3pm and the next at 9 pm jeesh what a joke

For what it's worth, I selected my FP's for the first week in Dec and had lots of opportunities to choose early morning times, every day in fact! Have you checked all the options they offer (ABCD)? Hope times open up for you.

[
    Followed by Mother/Daughter trip: POP Century - May 13-18

After you make a selection from the four groups offered, you're able to go back in and makes changes from a wider range of times. I did that for our upcoming trip the week after Thansgiving and have all of our FP+ selections in the morning for everyday of our trip.

I liked the magic band per se except for the fast pass element, but that's only because I'm pretty lo-tech and my phone is kinda slow as it's only 3G. Our Boardwalk Inn concierge told us they hope to end regular fast pass by January 1, but I don't think that's possible. Also on a personal level, I hate to wear anything on my wrist (I can't wait to rip off the Halloween and Christmas Parties wristbands as soon as possible!), so the concierge suggested I wear mine around my belt loop......good idea for me!

John

Hollywood Studios is now also part of the "tiered" FP+ testing.

Group 1 (One selection can be made)

Toy Story Mania
    Rock 'n' RollerCoaster
    Fantasmic!
    Beauty and the Beast

Group 2 (Two selections can be made)

Great Movie Ride
    Tower of Terror
    Star Tours
    Indiana Jones
    Lights, Motors, Action!
    MuppetVision 3D