Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Unexpected Trip

Cool Unexpected Trip

So, the unexpected happened... my daughter's Pop Warner cheer squad fooled us all and made it to nationals! We're leaving on December 7 and returning Dec 13. Staying at either Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach. Since I wasn't expecting them to make it - - I wasn't in planning mode!

What things do you think I should do in that short trip? We're competing Monday, Dec. 9, so the first half of that day is out.

Just thoughts, suggestions, must-dos, concerns... all would be great.

I've been quite a bit, but this is our first girls only trip! We're also on a limited budget, so any tips on how to make some short cuts would be great, too!

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

2. # ADS

Short, quick, unplanned, un-budgeted trip? Awesome! I would plan on just grabbing food from kiosks and quick-service places. You can live and eat quite well for reasonable amounts that way. If you can use the Fastpass + demo/trial run system, look into it and reserve high-line attractions now for when you think you will be there. I would just ty to take it easy though and take the time to relax, soak in details and hit the major attractions. If they are too busy, try going on something you haven't been on in a long time. That way the trip will be more memorable.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Visiting WDW Since 1982

I can't give you first-hand info, but a few years ago one of my co-workers did the same with her daughter. I remember her saying that it was futile to plan anything in any park but the studios. The kids were there and they all wanted to be where the other kids were. They wanted to hang out as a team, which included going to the attractions as a team. They liked to do things like perform routines while in line. So basically what she said was that it was best to not try to control it, to go with the flow, and just enjoy the outing.

Stan

Good points!

We have the first day with just us - we're the first to arrive on her team. So, we're going to go to Magic Kingdom and hit new Fantasyland, which wasn't open when we were there last. Plus, I *know* the pool will be a must-do every night before bed.

How do I get the fastpass plus trial? I had heard of that, but wasn't sure how to get a trial? It's for smart phones?

I think we will do kiosks/fast food, and one special meal the night after they compete.

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by HTanner View Post
    Good points!

We have the first day with just us - we're the first to arrive on her team. So, we're going to go to Magic Kingdom and hit new Fantasyland, which wasn't open when we were there last. Plus, I *know* the pool will be a must-do every night before bed.

How do I get the fastpass plus trial? I had heard of that, but wasn't sure how to get a trial? It's for smart phones?

I think we will do kiosks/fast food, and one special meal the night after they compete.
    You should be able to go to disneyworld.com or my disney experience website and look up your reservations. In there you should be able to find it. I can't give you any more details because I haven't stayed on property since they began it. Others here have any may chime in.
    Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19, 2/20, 9/20, 1/21, DLP 3/20

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unexpected Trip

Perfect instructions, Nick. You may have to 'associate' your reservations with your Disney account, but once you get everything all associated, its super easy. If you don't have a smart phone, there are places in the parks to modify things on the fly.

Cathy

That's great!

We are SO excited! Just got the news that we got booked into Coronado Springs - which I definitely wanted over Caribbean Beach. Stayed at Coronado Springs when it first opened, before my daughter was more than just a thought. It will be so much fun to just be she and I. (although my son is my major Disney buddy!).

What parks are likely to see crowds on what days - or should I just expect it to be crowded the whole time?

So far, our tentative schedule is this:

Sat, 12/7: fly into Orlando, arrive 5 Orlando time. Check-in probably around 6-7. Check out shop, room and food. Go to bed early!

Sun, 12/8: At Magic Kingdom for rope drop. Hit New Fantasyland (our one must-do of the trip!). Stay at parks through early afternoon. Be back to hotel around 6 to meet up with teammates for trip to grocery store. Girls need to do hair that night, so we'll probably do the pool and then start preparing for the competition the next day.

Mon, 12/9: Competition!! The girls are SO excited. For us, making it this far was the goal. We have no lofty ambitions about winning - we're not in the same league as the kids who are coming from other regions. So, we're going to have a blast and just enjoy the memories we're making. My daughter is most looking forward to running through Mickey's ears.
    That afternoon, we will be done and free. Planning on going back to the hotel for a rest/change - then heading out to Epcot for a celebratory dinner (nothing booked, so this may change)

Tue, 12/10: Up early for Animal Kingdom. Spend 1/2 day there and maybe head to another park or Downtown Disney for Christmas shopping. Lunch - take out from Yak and Yeti?

Wed, 12/11: Up early for Epcot. Spend 1/2 day there and then take early break back at the pool. Pop Warner party at Hollywood Studios that night.

Thurs, 12/12: sleep in. Get up and go to Hollywood Studios for morning/Magic Kingdom or Epcot for evening.

Fri, 12/13: Go home.

Quote Originally Posted by HTanner View Post
    That's great!

Tue, 12/10: Up early for Animal Kingdom. Spend 1/2 day there and maybe head to another park or Downtown Disney for Christmas shopping. Lunch - take out from Yak and Yeti?
    I know I am in the minority here, but I am not in the camp where Animal Kingdom is a 1/2 day park.. I know it doesn't have the rides that the other parks do, but Kilimanjaro Safari is probably my favorite part of all of the World, and always ride it multiple times. I also love the Flights of Wonder bird show (and always have a dollar ready.. )

That sounds pretty good. See crowd forecasts here:

http://www.undercovertourist.com/pla...-to-visit.html

You may have crowds at a few points you mentioned, but should be manageable. Good luck to the girls and have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by yedliw View Post
    I know I am in the minority here, but I am not in the camp where Animal Kingdom is a 1/2 day park.. I know it doesn't have the rides that the other parks do, but Kilimanjaro Safari is probably my favorite part of all of the World, and always ride it multiple times. I also love the Flights of Wonder bird show (and always have a dollar ready.. )
    I LOVE Animal Kingdom and have spent full days there - but my daughter will want to go on the rides and she's not keen on a lot of the rides at Animal Kingdom. She loves the safari and a few of the shows, so we'll do that. But with so little time in the parks as it is, we'll have to make some cuts to our normal trip and just try to see what we see.

Quote Originally Posted by nickjandrews View Post
    Good luck to the girls and have a great trip!
    Thank you! We have no pressure - we weren't expected to get this far and definitely aren't expected to win nationals, so for us - this is just going to be fun!! We'll be happy if we're not last.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I'd probably go with as little planning as possible and enjoy the holiday stuff--resort hopping, etc. Walk the road less travelled.....

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Congratulations to the girls and good luck! No matter what you end up doing it will be special because you're together.

TulaBelle
    Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever.

She's only 8 and this is her first year at the competitive level. I foresee more trips in our future...