Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Mad A.A. Hatter takes Aunt Madge -Oct 4-7 Grand Cal

Mad A.A. Hatter takes Aunt Madge -Oct 4-7 Grand Cal

Better late than never...

Flew from SF on Virgin America....Aunt Madge flew in from Nebraska.
    Spent Fri-Sun in the parks. Stayed at Grand Californian. Aunt Madge's first time.

OCTOBER 3, THURSDAY

I arrived the day before and stayed with a friend from Long Beach. I also had breakfast with my buddy Darren D who had stepped in as the entertainment director at the Disneyland Resort for a year. He usually works the cruise lines and Disney World. Yes, I got some inside DLR info out of him and YES I am sworn to secrecy. Darren took me to the resort and I went to see if I could get an early check in. I really dig the Monorail view and they did NOT have that but they did have a room ready that overlooked the front of the hotel but not the street view, rather the convention section of GC view onto the driveway that had lovely trees blocking most of it. And I was checked in by noon. Woo hoo. I unpacked and tidied. Then I went to The World of Disney to get my sis, Tracemountain, some Disney car stuff including a Tinkerbell sticker for her windshield. Then I got a call from my Aunt...she was in the lobby! Woo hoo. When I met her in the lobby she was just blown away by how cool it was. She loved the room and I had bought wine in Long Beach and we had a glass to celebrate.

Then it was off to explore the resort and get my Aunt her first pair of ears. Very important and she took to the task like a trooper and ended up with the traditional original black ears and she didn't opt for the bow ( and she is a girlie girl). She did opt for the upgrade embroidery in red. Then we walked to the Disneyland Hotel and looked around. She had told me she was not at all interested in the characters but was completely star struck when she saw Goofy. The new lobby re-do was amazing, especially the celebrity pics. Who knew that Anjelica Huston would appear twice. Who knew!!!!!

Then it was Trader Sam's for a Ginger PearADise and Tuna Poke. So far it was a huge hit for my Aunt. I took a swim while she showered and we headed to the Napa Rose for a chef's table dinner. Our waiter's name was Masi and he was amazing. We did the chef's tasting menu and I changed my main course to duck but my Aunt had the Veal. Both amazing. We loved the wine pairings. The dessert was kind of boring and the special course ended up being an amuse bouche and we thought that was kind of lame. It was very expensive but we were so happy with the wine choice. I would not recommend this meal unless you were a crazy foodie. My Aunt did enjoy it and loved the service and restaurant for sure. She really wanted to come back at another point in our visit.

Then it was off to bed for our first Magic Morning to hit RSR. We ordered room service for breakfast and hit the sack very excited.. More to come...

2. # ADS

OCTOBER 4, FRIDAY

Aunt Madge loved our room service waiter. He asked " would you like me to pour your coffee"... And she melted. I think that was her favorite MM memory. She took a little long to get ready event cough I warned her and we got down to t he special entrance from the GC and I think she was a bit surprised by the queue but it was moving when we lined up at White Water Snacks. We walked straight to RSR and it was about a half hour wait at 7:15am. She loved it and for the 5th time I got the same paint job ride. When I got off I got a text from my pal Darren. I had left my credit card at the breakfast place in Long Beach and he had picked up. He was at the resort doing a promo for the Hallowe'en version of Mad T Party and I figured it was best doing this straight away. My Aunt enjoyed meeting him and we got our pics taken. Now it was off to get some good attractions under our belts at DCA. Straight to TSMM and another success. Then off to Mickey's Fun Wheel to take in the views. It was on this ride when my Aunt and I discussed the No Matterhorn or TOT or Screamin' due to back problem so. I told her and showed her how smooth the ride was. She decided she would do it. We rode SSS and Goofy.s Coaster first...( you can't ride Goofy's after Screamin'...duh) and then we rode the Coaster. My Aunt was so uber triumphant. Took a picture of her in front of the sign and that as the snapshot of the trip. then Ariel's and then Soarin'! So DCA was pretty much done on all the biggies and she was hungry. Off to Disneyland and we of course took a car to the castle.

She was hungry and opted for Jolly Holiday Cafe and I bolted for the corn-dog cart as it was empty. And then fate swooped in. The queue at the cart had become outrageous so I returned to Jolly Holiday. After ordering my delicious sand which I opted fort he Matterhorn Macarroon. My Aunt and I agreed it was the best Macaroon ever and I dream about it now!

We then headed for the Pumpkin/Ranch/Hallowe'en thingy and caught Billy Hill. I was sad to see they were reduced to Mickey and Minnie costume parade but then they did a full set. THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA was amazing. Really amazing and again Aunt Madge was blown away. We tried to see the Bootstrappers butchery were already not the rafts to Tom Sawyers Island. So we rode Splash and headed back to the hotel and had some wine switched to swim wear and rode GRR and then met Melody (my pal from So cal who tours the parks with me many times) we went back to DCA after a relaxing pool afternoon and rode MATERS HO DOWN THINGEE AND TTBAB and MONSTERS INC. then it was off for a horrid experience at a restaurant.....more later

Not butchery..but. Simply but.

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday! So glad to read that your aunt enjoyed her trip. Magical memories, indeed! Sounds like you really were able to show her the magic -- there's so much more to DLR than rides (not that the rides are shabby)! Masi at NR is great -- he always remembers us and makes sure I have whatever I need. Sorry to hear about your other restaurant experience being horrid -- hope that didn't taint your whole trip!

Did not ruin it all and thanks for the belated birthday wishes. It's a good story. More tomorrow. ...

DINNER OCT 4
    So the evening was to be spent dining at Ariel's Grotto with pre fixe and tkts for WOC. We were seated in a full ding room. Got decent salads and our main courses took a very long time. This is when we noticed how crazy busy our excellent waiter was. We also noticed tables seated after us with mains and noticed absolutely no help from fellow staff. One table got up and left. We were served and our food was quite good. The table next to is got cold food and he went to complain. We could not get our dessert. We really just wanted to go at this point. Here is where I was BLoWN away by inefficiency. The manager came over to check on the complaining table and didn't even stop by ours or try to help our waiter. He finally brought out the dessert platter which had decent pastry but also Rice Krispie treats and Oreos. My Aunt was appalled. Why bother? For the price of the meal to serve Oreos was very UnDisney ( especially knowing about the famed Matterhorn Macaroon) I got the managers name and Melody was going to register a complaint.

Now in Defense of Ariel's Grotto they may have worked the kinks out by now. I do hope our waiter has found another job where he is treated better.

This took Soooo long that it was now time for WOC. We walked over, handed our tickets over and they promptly announced it was cancelled due to Santa Ana winds. Aunt Madge said let's go to the room and so we did.

Really the only sour spot of the trip. My Aunt still talks about the Oreos.

We met up with Ted ( a pal from Long Beach)who spent the night with us to enjoy MM and Saturday in the parks.

SATURDAY
    OCTOBER 5

This time we were going to take in the full hour of MM in DL . What with the looooong walk from the GCH we arrived at 6:35ish and had a great spot in line. I only wish that dang Starbucks was open. What a boffo business they will do due to MM.

SO we got into the parks and did the mad dash to Peter Pan. Aunt Madge was beyond enchanted. Then off to Mr Toad. Closed. What? So Dumbo next. With the Carousel under refurb FL was so sad looking. The idea was to tick off FL so off to Snow White. Then Pinocchio. Closed. What?? Then to Alice. Ted can't do the Tea cups and Aunt Madge didn't care. 5 minute wait for Matterhorn so Ted and I did it. Then off to get on SM right as park was opening. Then a quick dash to STAR TOURS. closed. What? So over to Buzz which was filling up quick due to Star Tours. When we got out ST was opened. We got a good Tour but not my fave. Hoped to do that again. Now off to hit HMH and POCC before breakfast at Carnation. On our way to HM we saw POCC was closed. WHAT? HM holiday was amazing. The new opening and Gingerbread house are gorgeous. I only wish my Aunt could have seen the original one. POCC still closed so we thought we would pick up INDY before breakfast. Closed. Whatwhathwhat!?!?!?

Ok. I have never seen so many attractions down in one morning as that. Considering BTMRR is closed it felt very sad and bleak to me. But Ted and Aunt M seemed good. We were all jonesing big time for coffee and hungry. I vowed never to go almost 3 hours sans nourishment or caffeine again at DL. We sat inside the Carnation Cafe which I have never done before. Of course it made me sad that there was no soda fountain area anymore as that was a DL tradition for me and sis. New traditions I guess. It was packed what with Gay Days and we were so happy to have reservations. We had the Huevos Rancheros and they were better than decent. I got a BIG shell in my eggs and they IMMEDIATELY brought new eggs and the manager came out. All very nice and it made my Aunt comment about such a bad experience the night before.

Upon exiting we got our pics taken as we all had matching red NEBRASKA shirts on. Go Big Red! I think we rode the Main St Vehicles and I tried to get reservations for the Lily Belle caboose on the DL RR but they were sold out. All the closed attractions put a kibosh on some of my plans and DAMN the park was filling up. I was also glad we saw almost all the singing groups on Friday. So still doing good.

Aunt Madge said that Wind in the Willows was her fave book as a kid and missing Mr. Toad was NOT an option. So we waited about 20 minutes. WELL worth the wait she decreed. I once went to DLR and missed touring Toad. A mistake I was not prepared to ever make again. Beyond tickled that Aunt M was as big as a fan as I was! Ted said it was whack but he also loved it.

We then decided to get fast passes for Indy as we wanted to ride the Big red boat for Gay Days. There were so many people this year it took 3 trips at least. We met up with my pal Jason, his surly boyfriend Hank ( who loves DL so he says but seems to be eternally cranky. Oh...check out the grumpy cat videos if you want to see what I think he looks like) and our delightful pal June. She is the opposite of Hank and they were all down there too for the weekend from SF. They got in Friday and were also at the GCH. We were the cut off for the Mark Twain so we had to wait for the Sailing Ship Columbia. Man that takes forever to board. Again Aunt M oohed ahhhhhed over the theming and wonderful landscaping of Tom Sawyers Island. We have a fan folks! She even missed the Indian Village as we were crammed and I resisted the urge to try and make her see EVERYTHING on a first trip. A trap a tour guide can fall into.

Upon exiting we parted with our friends since they didn't enter the park until 9:30 and had only rode ONE attraction to our TEN or so. Aunt M commented on how grumpy that dude was and how despite the lack of room service or caffeine MM were the only way to go. And with that we were off to do Indy with our fast passes. She took a pass on Tarzan's Treehouse due to her knees despite the views....so we went to the temple of the Forbidden Eye and Aunt M got to drive and by now she just thought Disney was magical. The new Mara effects were cool. Ted was really looking forward to this ride and it did not dissapoint. He had been to Disneyworld a couple of times as. His brother lives there but this was his first time to DLR and I think he is getting hooked too. I'm such a good/bad influence.

It was getting late and we needed to return to the park in time for the parade at 4:00. If one doesn't plan a solid rest then it is hard to get it. Ted bought a park hopper because RSR and TOT were on his list for sure. So Aunt M went back to the room and we did TOT with a FP....Ted was confused as the wait was only about 13 minutes but I told him to trust me. We did single rider for RSR and waited 30 minutes.. Not bad. Then we walked onto TOT with our FPs which now posted a 30 minute wait. I told him to do Screamin' or SOC on single rider but he thought he got his money worth and decided to eat and snack and drink wine in our room until the evenings activities. So we did. We were def a trio at this point. More on the evening outing later....

SATURDAY AFTERNOON
    OCTOBER 5

Oh. I forgot to tell you all that I FINALLY got to go to the OTHER room in RSR and it was such a treat finally to have seen the whole ride. I love new experiences at DLR.

So we made it back in time and Mickeys Soundsational Parade was as good as ever. Aunt M loved the costumes. I noticed Mary and Burt were not on bicycles at the end. Has that been cut? Then off to the Tiki Room to catch the choreography for Gay Days. It was a total hoot and again Aunt M thought it was a WOW.

Then off to our dinner reservation at the Blue Bayou. I have not eaten there in a while and had heard not so good things about it but though we would give it a go. After checking in a bit early we all roamed around NOS and it was packed to the gills. So happy for reservations. We had the opposite experience this night. It was packed in the restaurant and we sat near the water closer to a waiter station. Our waiter was so busy but he got to all tables. Bussers cleared all tables, waiters Helped each other and I saw the manager checking on everyone and asking if they needed anything and walked around the restaurant. The energy was delightful and the food quite good. I complimented the manager. Aunt M was excited about POCC in the a.m.

We then decided to do the Jungle Cruise we didn't have much time. That would be the longest wait we would experience on this tour of DLR. The queue is fantastic though and I love the music. We had a good skipper and got stuck unloading on the dock and got extra jokes. Bonus!

Then Ted and Auntie M headed to F! I got them the seating with dessert boxes. I got to roam around the park on my own. I love the lights at night and had a ball just walking around. I ended up shopping on Main St. I bought some Mickey Mouse boxers that look like his shorts with the yellow buttons and tail. I look great in them. I love looking even though I am a newfound minimalist. I went back to GCH via DCA and enjoyed the lights on BVSt. As cool as Main st. USA. I lingered in the lobby and then grabbed some wine in the room. Ted Nad Aunt Madge loved the show and high tailed it outta there after the show and watched the fireworks as they walked. Ted left for Long Beach and we opted to sleep in if possible..

Burt and Mary are usually on Carousel horses that go up and down, perhaps one or both weren't working that day?

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Burt and Mary are usually on Carousel horses that go up and down, perhaps one or both weren't working that day?
    I know. Just wondered if they cut the horses or if they were broken. I so want to ride around town on one of those..

SUNDAY
    OCTOBER THE 6

So I woke up in time for MM at DCA but not Aunt Madge. We were on a slower boat for sure and we also knew coffee was in order. So I had the stupid plan to walk into DCA around 7:20 after the line was gone and buy Starbucks for us. Great in theory but they allow folks into the park for that VERY reason and I waited in the second longest queue of this trip. But I did have breakfast sandwiches and coffee! Aunt M really appreciated the morning respite and I assured her that today's tour was going to be much more chill yet with many delightful surprises still. So we entered DCA and got fast passes for WOC since it was Santa Ana winds.

Then off to DLR. We rode the fire truck to the hub and went to the POC that was open and again the "Wow" factor was still in effect. What a perfect ride to start the day with of course no wait. Madge was delighted to see Blue Bayou from the boats and thought that was so neat. Upon exiting we got our pic taken at the Court of Angels before it disappeared toth e public....I assume it has by now. Then we got on the train and headed to Toon Town Station and rode iasw and RRCS and Toon Town. Then we did Storybook Canal boats. Aunt M was astounded by the lack of running around the parks. A. Real change of pace. She also commented on how smart it was to DO the MM.

We then headed over to DCA on the Omnibus and she loved that. We had a reservation at Wine Country Tratorrian and had a great meal with wine.. More later

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    I know. Just wondered if they cut the horses or if they were broken. I so want to ride around town on one of those..
    That could get interesting on a few streets. Coming down Lombard would make a great picture.

Goodness! That would be great fun! Going up and down and down and side to side could make one a bit dizzy...oh don't let's be silly!

In costume, if you please.

SUNDAY AFTERNOON

After a delightful luncheon on the terrazzo we headed over to the Animation Academy and drew pictures of Minnie Mouse. It was again a respite that Madge thought was relaxing and we both drew two fantastic pics.

Back to the hotel for a glass of wine and then some pool time. Back to DCA and we caught a 4:00 performance of Aladdin. We also encountered a child being disciplined simply by her father. What a treat. The wife said to give her a second chance after she hit her father. He simply said no and how will she ever learn. My Aunt and I were very impressed.

The show was great. The Flying Carpet was back and boy is it cool from the balcony. So glad we sat up there. I met say I am torn. I would love to see a new show but that crazy Genie makes it fresh every time. So I am contented either way. Whatever y'all decide Disney is ok with me.

We took a gander at Carthay Theatre and Aunt M said she would rather head to Napa Rose for the cheese plate I had talked so much about. But we did do my traditional shot of tequila to my buddy the Dude.

Before the cheese plate we went and walked around Carsland and got to see the lighting. So simple. SO cool. SO MAGICAL. We are glad we did it. I asked Aunt M if she wanted to do Luigi's and she said "No" and decreed today as a day of leisure. So off to Napa Rose and the cheese plate and we had another success. So much so that we had a second glad of wine.

I asked what Aunt M if she wanted to do before WOC and she decided that she was quite done with her first tour and just wanted to relax in the room.

I wasn't ready to say good-bye to the DLR. So I started to head towards WOC and upon seeing the crowd I just couldn't do it and turned on a dime.

I went to see the Mad T Party for the first time instead and they were really good and the crowd loved it. I loved seeing the little kids dancing like seasoned club kids. I tried to groove but was just too tired.

I decided I needed to say good-bye to DL and walked around the barren Princess Fantasy Faire and I could look at the detail. The sleeping cat was so cool. And the detail was wonderful. I rode the Matterhorn in the single rider line with a 3 minute wait and a nighttime ride is glorious. Perfect way to end the night. But I blew it. Upon getting on the Monorail I saw NO WAIT for Nemo and got on it. Not a good way to end the night. Too sleepy and cranky and claustrophobic. Got on the Monorail and almost had a car to myself.

My Aunt and I shared a farewell glass of wine. And went to bed absolutely satisfied. Woke up very late. Had a long leisurely breakfast a Catal. Shopped a bit at the new Disney Artsy store and Aunt M couldn't find any Mr Toad stuff. So glad she dug the Toad. Then off to the aero-port.

Whew.

Wonderful. Thanks so much for a great trip report. I loved it.

Thanks EJ4!

I love any questions or comments!

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So great of you to take your Aunt on tour of DLR. Everytime we get down that way I always want to go to Trader Sam's and somehow alway's end up not going, one of these times we're going to make it there. I really enjoy Aladdin, and the Genii always keeps his jokes updated so you have to pay attention. Aladdin is a winner and if they could do another show that was just as enchanting I would be happy but having seen what was there before <yawn> makes me afraid of change.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Trader Sams is a must do! Going around 4:00 is great to beat the crowds. They used to have a duet playing Hawai'ian music out front in the evenings. So so with it.

Remember that Change is Good! Like I said, I don't complain about the show but it has been there for a looooong time. I think with the park redux it will be a while bit I think in 5 years it will be time.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter View Post
    Remember that Change is Good!
    Oh I have no problem with change as long as its for the better or just as good. I remember CM's standing in the streets handing out tickets for the shows that used to be ther before Aladdin and almost begging us to please come see it.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

I just saw this on Disneystore.com