Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: The Vacation Kingdom of the World: The Lost Art of Disney

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: The Vacation Kingdom of the World: The Lost Art of Disney

The Vacation Kingdom of the World: The Lost Art of Disney by Tom Richards
    Tom Richards takes a look at the current state of The Art of Disney shops at Walt Disney World.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Sadly, we have noticed the decline of the unique Shops around the World since we started going in 2001. They have lost the magic by putting up these 'box' stores that sell the exact same thing everywhere. The last trip we never even ventured into the little stores and save our shopping for Mouse Gears or World of Disney. We use to stroll through most of them and sadly for the bank account, bought something. Might as well go to the Walmart nearby to get the shirts and other little stuff we always seem to buy, a lot cheaper too.
    Hopefully Disney executives will wake up and realize they are slowly killing off everything that made Disney special but I won't hold my breath.

I believe selling items in the period style is increasingly difficult especially with the amount of merchandise that needs to be turned over. Actual antiques are expensive and I just don't see much of a market for such things. Even animation cels are a relic with digital animation. The problem with maintaining such displays is the merchandise displays never changes. It will be the same every year. It looks sad. The stores will have the old smell.

Since we are well into 2013, as old as I am at nearly 50, I loved the old displays since I still remembers them; however, I am no longer attached to them when I'm at Disney theme parks. I given up collecting merchandise as I noticed that "you can't take them with you" if you know what I mean. People must stop with their attachment to things. It is meaningless. You get more out of memories than the transaction of buying an antique.