Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Share your personal experience with the new DAS program at the Disneyland Resort

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Share your personal experience with the new DAS program at the Disneyland Resort

Now that the new Disability Access Service program has replaced the former Guest Assistance Program at the Disney parks, we are looking for readers who have personally experienced a visit to the Disneyland Resort to share their experience here so other readers who are planning trips have an idea of what to expect.

Note: this is a very specific request for personal experiences at the Disneyland Resort. There has been too much speculation, rumor and misinformation out there, and 4th-hand reports of what your brother's cousin's co-workers's friend says happened doesn't really provide useful information. We're also specifically looking for information about the new program as it is implemented at the Disneyland Resort, as the Walt Disney World implementation is slightly different due to operational differences between the Resorts.

If you've experienced the new DAS, please share as much detail as you feel comfortable. What is your situation, what sort of accommodation do you feel you need to experience the theme parks, and did this new program work for you? If you experienced a trip using the old GAC program, do you feel this program works better or worse? Are there specific changes you'd like to see implemented to make the DAS more effective?

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Now that the new Disability Access Service program has replaced the former Guest Assistance Program at the Disney parks, we are looking for readers who have personally experienced a visit to the Disneyland Resort to share their experience here so other readers who are planning trips have an idea of what to expect.

Note: this is a very specific request for personal experiences at the Disneyland Resort. There has been too much speculation, rumor and misinformation out there, and 4th-hand reports of what your brother's cousin's co-workers's friend says happened doesn't really provide useful information. We're also specifically looking for information about the new program as it is implemented at the Disneyland Resort, as the Walt Disney World implementation is slightly different due to operational differences between the Resorts.

If you've experienced the new DAS, please share as much detail as you feel comfortable. What is your situation, what sort of accommodation do you feel you need to experience the theme parks, and did this new program work for you? If you experienced a trip using the old GAC program, do you feel this program works better or worse? Are there specific changes you'd like to see implemented to make the DAS more effective?
    I'm eagerly awaiting an update for Disneyland. My children have autism and the GAC was a lifesaver for us to be able to enjoy a less stressful Disney experience.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Here's what I experienced personally today. I'm reserving my opinion / editorial for after this weekend, once I've visited again with people with different needs than those of the people I was with today. I want to have a better understanding of the process for a variety of disabilities, and check on some things that occurred to me during this visit. It was raining on-and-off during my visit, and I had other obligations, so I wasn't able to check everything I wanted.

The DAS card itself is issued at either the Chamber of Commerce (DCA) or City Hall (Disneyland). They had marked extended queues with tape outside both today, so they were clearly prepared for a line.

City Hall line around 11am

DCA line around 10:30 am

The process for getting the card starts out the same - you explain to the CM the accommodation you need, and they offer their suggestion of how Disney can meet that. If you are issued a DAS (which not everyone was, I'll go into more detail below), they take a photo of the cardholder to whom it is being issued, and print out the pass. The cardholder or guardian have to sign the pass (which I know at least one parent did under protest), which has a bunch of terms and conditions on it.

Once you have the pass, you can go to the Guest Relations kiosk nearest the ride you want to ride and get an assigned return time. I know that in at least two instances, the DAS was issued at City Hall with a ride already "loaded" onto it, saving that initial trip to the kiosk. As previously discussed, the return time is being written for the current wait time less 10 minutes - in the photo below, you can see Dumbo had a 20-minute wait, so the return time was 10 minutes from then.

The green-bordered card is the DAS; the red card is a new readmisison pass introduced with this change.

Once you ride, you can return to the kiosk for your next return time. If the ride has a standby line of less than 10 minutes, there's no need to get a return time, which makes using a wait time app (Disney or unofficial) really useful.

List of Guest Relations kiosks in DCA

List of Guest Relations kiosks in Disneyland

There's a second piece to this program I hadn't seen discussed elsewhere - a new red readmission card. Usually readmit cards are issued in the event of ride breakdowns or guest recovery (customer service) situations, and they have a blue header. These have a red header, and verbiage which indicates they must be used with a DAS. Two families I spoke with were issued these from Guest Relations - one got them at City Hall, the other got them in Fantasyland. These seem to be the alternative to "loading" the DAS with multiple rides - the put one ride on the DAS with a return time, but then issue additional readmits without a return time. In both situations, these were issued to families with autistic children who were not able to spend the whole day at the park, so I believe them to be an example of the "alternate accommodations for guests with cognitive disabilities" mentioned in the letter Disney sent to the Autism Society of Los Angeles. (Post 86 of the previous thread)

The Tomorrowland Kiosk

As previously discussed, guests who only have a mobility impairment and use a wheelchair do not need or even qualify for a DAS - they simply use the wheelchair-accessible queue for each ride. This caused some complaints from people who have previously received a GAC and use a wheelchair. There was one couple in particular who raised quite a stir because the husband said he was denied a DAS. However, I'm not entirely certain what he asked for, or why he was denied. The husband uses a personal ECV, but said he prefers not to take it into queues because the stop-and-go nature of even the wheelchair-accessible queues is tough on him. He prefers to use the ECV to navigate between attractions, but then park it and walk into the attraction. He said he didn't understand why he couldn't get a return time using a DAS - he didn't want to "skip" the line, he wanted to avoid navigating an ECV through it.

I see his point, and wonder if a different conversation with a different CM would not have yielded a different result.

These are my factual observations. I've spoken with a number of families who visited today, and am expecting to hear from even more over the next few days. I am encouraging them to come here and share their factual experiences as well.

I'll also note that there was a huge managerial presence in the parks today, which I have to assume was at least partly because of this change. I think that helped diffuse some situations, and I continue to ask people to please not take their frustration on this new program out on the front-line CMs.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Looking forward to hearing real life experiences, especially from those who only need to skip the stairs in attractions.

Waiting in lines is not an issue for me (as of now) just can't do stairs.

There was one couple in particular who raised quite a stir because the husband said he was denied a DAS. However, I'm not entirely certain what he asked for, or why he was denied. The husband uses a personal ECV, but said he prefers not to take it into queues because the stop-and-go nature of even the wheelchair-accessible queues is tough on him. He prefers to use the ECV to navigate between attractions, but then park it and walk into the attraction. He said he didn't understand why he couldn't get a return time using a DAS - he didn't want to "skip" the line, he wanted to avoid navigating an ECV through it.

I see his point, and wonder if a different conversation with a different CM would not have yielded a different result.

AVP
    I can see the CM not issuing a card to someone just because they have an EVC, there are still special access areas for rides with lines that can't accommodate them, like in Fantasyland; or that may have lines that are accessible up to a point then veer off when the line isn't navigable, like Matterhorn or Star Tours. His saying he doesn't like the 'start and stop' nature of the lines makes me wonder how he handles just maneuvering the crowds at the parks. I've had to use an ECV myself on two different trips (once because of multiple blisters on my heels and soles, once because of back problems; rest of the times I visit I walk) and it was more hectic trying to avoid children and groups running across my path or stopping suddenly in front of me; the lines were a piece of cake compared to that). The first time I had to use the ECV I stopped at City Hall to get a GAP, was told I really wouldn't need one since Disneyland had special access areas for most rides, and DCA didn't use GAP for access since all lines were accessible. The CM gave me a map with all the access points marked, and the rest of my 10 day trip was a breeze.

Subscribing to this thread as I use an ECV at DLR and will be there in 13 days! I know I won't need a DAS, but I will report back on my experience using the ECV (if there are any changes in DL). I'm actually really hoping they start to issue the return passes to ECV and wheelchair users on some of the big rides like Pirates and Space Mountain. They do now on Star Tours and RSR and I actually love it! The ECV/WC lines for some rides can be longer than the regular line and I would much rather get a return time!

Tink - Richmond, CA
    Disneyland June 15-18
    WDW February 2017

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tlovesdis View Post
    Subscribing to this thread as I use an ECV at DLR and will be there in 13 days! I know I won't need a DAS, but I will report back on my experience using the ECV (if there are any changes in DL). I'm actually really hoping they start to issue the return passes to ECV and wheelchair users on some of the big rides like Pirates and Space Mountain. They do now on Star Tours and RSR and I actually love it! The ECV/WC lines for some rides can be longer than the regular line and I would much rather get a return time!
    The problem with Space Mountain is the rocket. There is one rocket holding 12 people. So, you return for your ride, but there are several other ECV/WC users also returning, it will make the situation worse.

As for RSR, since the lines are accessible, I don't think you would need a return time, I usually just go through the regular line. The ECV fits just fine.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

The DAS card itself is issued at either the Chamber of Commerce (DCA) or City Hall (Disneyland). They had marked extended queues with tape outside both today, so they were clearly prepared for a line.
    That is kind of funny: "My child has an condition and he cannot stand in lines." "No problem stand in that line over there and we will take care of you."

What I don't understand about this new program is what about it reduces abuse? Right now they are giving a tremendous amount of attention and turning some people away who maybe would have gotten one in the past, but couldn't they have just done that with the old program and if that is the difference will this one over time slide back into having abuse?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against their improving the program. To be honest, I have no stake in this. I have no need for either program and if the old one was abused, it wasn't anything I saw or gave any thought to. It is just that when I read about this, I am puzzled as to why it can't be abused just like the old one.

Full 24 Hour All-Nighter Survivor ManaByte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    That is kind of funny: "My child has an condition and he cannot stand in lines." "No problem stand in that line over there and we will take care of you."

What I don't understand about this new program is what about it reduces abuse? Right now they are giving a tremendous amount of attention and turning some people away who maybe would have gotten one in the past, but couldn't they have just done that with the old program and if that is the difference will this one over time slide back into having abuse?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against their improving the program. To be honest, I have no stake in this. I have no need for either program and if the old one was abused, it wasn't anything I saw or gave any thought to. It is just that when I read about this, I am puzzled as to why it can't be abused just like the old one.
    The photo on the card and the tracking of information really helps.

The sad thing is that GAC abuse went on for far too long and people became used to abusing it as a front of the line pass. That Today Show segment came far too late IMO.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

You are totally on the money that over time those who want to cheat/abuse the system will find the right 'catch phrases' to trick the CM's into issuing a pass, you come up with a system and the gamers will find a way to abuse it. The big difference between this particular program and the last two, each guest is an individual program that is entered into a data base, they've added the return time for wheelchairs and evc's which reduces the whole oh we can skip the lines, no one is skipping anything these days, it's just a matter of where you spend the wait time. The actual perk that people were so quick to try and cheat for was the whole skipping the standby wait time, the mythical front of the line access and I say mythical because it just did NOT exist anywhere but in folks minds. A few of us that use the program have shared on more than one occasion that rides such as pirates or space mountain or peter pan often had a greater wait time than the standby line but those folks who rented the equipment felt like they were getting special treatment.

As for just a few ways that the new system will be harder to abuse, old program all the card had was a name, anyone could hold the card and claim to be the person it was issued to so there was a lot of abuse in that area, one person would get the card and then several people would present it depending on the attraction...now there is a photo of the passholder on the front and if that person isn't riding no one is riding on the pass. In fact for my daughters photo it had her face and the woman who travels with us to help me with her and it was done with the guest relations staffs blessings, we got to one attraction and presented her card and the CM was confused at the two faces, but since both of them were going to ride it was a moot point. If one of them were planning to stay off it might have been more confusing.

As for the long lines, yes I can see where you'd be like I'm in this line because my child can't do lines, what isn't mentioned yet is the fact that every time I needed to deal with the guest relations desk my daughter was outside with our friend. There was a mishap with her pass, I went inside and discussed the situation, the CM took his iPad out to the waiting area outside and snapped a new photo with no hesitation at all and our situation was not unique there were multiple families with their children out in the outside area that the CMs came to them rather than making them deal with the trauma of being in a long line.

Nothing is cheat proof, but this system is going to be a lot harder to get those perks that the majority of the cheaters are hoping for.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

I was joking about the having to stand in line to tell them you can't stand in line. That just struck me as funny as I read the post about the line, but what could they possibly do about that? Well, what you did -- wait in line without the person and have her join you at the front of the line.

I thouhgt the article I saw was about people with the pass advertising and selling the service of having a group join him in the park. That person would be a "guide" who would get the perks for the whole group. So yes that person needed the pass and yes that person was with a party, but only knew the party because they paid him to be with them that day.

I don't see how this program stops that. They have a database of his visits, but he would just look like someone who goes to the park a lot. It wouldn't be tracking his party and even if it did he is just a guy who goes a lot who has a lot of different relatives and friends.

This may be a terrible thing to say, but if that really was happening I don't have that much issue with it. If someone has a disability and can't find a more rewarding was to make money, then God bless him for at least having this. (Though I would have distain for the able bodied people using his services.)

Your post makes my heart smile for you and Missy. I'm so glad it is really addressing her needs and exceeding your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Your post makes my heart smile for you and Missy. I'm so glad it is really addressing her needs and exceeding your expectations.
    Shannon hit my thoughts right on the nose.

This seems like a real, thoughtful improvement. However, it seems so labor-intensive that I wonder if Disney will be able to sustain it in the long run. I hope so!

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I am so glad things are working out for MammaSilva and Missy! Tears came to my eyes when I read your post!

As an ECV user, I think it is ironic that after all the hoopla over the past few weeks from the cognitive disabilities community there seems to be a bit of a glitch still for ECV users---namely that they can't get a return time on certain rides (in Disneyland--not needed in DCA where lines are accessible) because they don't qualify for the DAS. Am I understanding this correctly? I used to be like that gentleman that was mentioned up above--and would ride the ECV from land to land and stand in a line if it was short but am not currently physically able to do that--so will need to to use the alternative line if I want to ride Pirates for an example. Seems to be a bit of a disparity if the able-bodied line is say 10 minutes, and those with other types of disabilities can get a return time, but I may be in a line for 20-30-40 minutes (based on past experience)? Doesn't seem like parity to me. Will be interested to see how this pans out over the next few weeks.

I am also interested to know why the one parent signed the DAS "under protest"--I have seen the terms and conditions (at least the ones printed on the card) and didn't see anything that would be objectionable to me.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Toocherie, I would really be surprised if they don't come up with another option/level of the program to meet your needs. It may not happen immediately but from the conversations I had with guest relations in the last two days (remember I'm on an EVC while dealing with Missys issues) it sounded like they are still working on a solution to that situation.

As for not wanting to sign the form, I'm clueless. It states the normal terms and conditions with a slight change in the wordage to include that you acknowledge that the person actually qualifies for the program and that you know the information is being recorded into a data base unlike the old program where they really only kept track of the total number of passes, theses passes have codes on them that the CM's scan and can see what accommodations are being offered to that guest. I also love that the re admit passes actually say not for resale. Both the DAS and the passes clearly state you can't use them for commercial use which I am sure is a direct result of the problem of pass holders offering their services on craigslist or other media.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Quote Originally Posted by Janis and Aaron View Post
    This seems like a real, thoughtful improvement. However, it seems so labor-intensive that I wonder if Disney will be able to sustain it in the long run. I hope so!
    This was my thought as well. It seems as though they are bending over backwards to avoid criticism or negative reactions while they are implementing the change. It almost seems that they are being overly accomodating. It does cause you to question whether they will be able to sustain such a high level of individuation.

Learning more about the program as the day progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Ok, thinking about this more - I could see myself having a problem with it. As in, I could see myself bothered by it on some levels. I'd sign it and agree to the terms if it were required, though. I wouldn't be bothered enough to refuse to sign.
    I wonder if they are tracking it to the point that they could pull up what you had last visit and ask if there are any change in needs and how things worked last time. Then have the possibility of adjusting the DAS accordingly.

I can answer this, this morning we had a mishap with Missys DAS and there had to be a replacement printed, all that was needed was a new photo of her to print on the front, all the details of her accommodations are on file with her personal information with my blessings. I have to wonder if the same person so upset over the tracking is an annual pass holder, considering they track our use of our passes for meal and shopping discounts.

Another board said that the tracking will also be used to alert supervisors if CMs apply for a DAS. For example, if the CM has an injury serious enough to apply for a DAS, then the supervisor would be alerted to make sure that the CM could still work safely. This should cut down on what was employee abuse of the GAC system, too.

@MS: so glad to read how the new system is working out for you and Missy!

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

And can I just say "thank you" to MS for reporting back here so promptly about her experiences. Really helps to be able to tell the naysayers that I personally KNOW someone having a GOOD experience with the DAS.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have to be honest, if someone hates the new program it's because they are used to abusing the old one. I not only tested the program for missys accommodations but we talked to other families at various attractions to compare notes. The ones that weren't as happy were ones who had mild issues vs severe issues. In the old program everyone got treated the same, this one is customized to each guest to meet individual needs and some families seem to feel entitled to more 'perks' than the program is designed to give. Missy still waits her wait times, we just do it while entertaining her in other ways, perfect example, we had a return time for Pirates, we went and watched the Billys like anyone with a regular fast pass might do, by the time we had walked to the Billy show then back to Pirates our return time had arrived. We opted not to ride pirates because no system if flawless and there was about a 40 minute wait in the HCA line with folks holding the new cards and folks who had rented EVC's for their groups. This is NOT a complaint about the system at all, it was not and won't ever be a FotL system and we did just as we did before, made the decision that the wait was longer than she could handle and went and did something else. We were not upset over the situation and actually I felt bad for the poor CMs handling the situation because the sense of entitlement that was rampant among the renters of the EVC's that were there when we went to check in.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Share your personal experience with the new DAS program at the Disneyland Resort

Sounds like a great day for Nathan!

MS - I'm a little confused. You got a return time for pirates, but when you returned, you were going to have to wait ANOTHER 40 minutes? Is that because you use the ECV and Missy isn't? If she'd been returning with someone else, would she have had the 40 minute wait on too of the wait you had with her card?

Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Sounds like a great day for Nathan!

MS - I'm a little confused. You got a return time for pirates, but when you returned, you were going to have to wait ANOTHER 40 minutes? Is that because you use the ECV and Missy isn't? If she'd been returning with someone else, would she have had the 40 minute wait on too of the wait you had with her card?
    I'm curious about this also. I believe Missy is usually in a chair, so I'm curious how this goes down, as this was a concern. I would expect them to send you up to the line inside, not outside.
    Planning 3 trips at once...