Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2014 Expedition Everest Challenge

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I'm doing this as part of a 50th birthday celebration for myself. My first official Disney bling! (I don't count the plastic DCL Castaway Cay 5K medal as official bling.) I'll be running my first-ever 10K the following weekend. We'll have to see if I feel confident enough in the distance increase to try to commit to Wine & Dine before they sell out. Who am I and what have I done to myself?

2. # ADS

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Goldhaber View Post
    I'm doing this as part of a 50th birthday celebration for myself. My first official Disney bling! (I don't count the plastic DCL Castaway Cay 5K medal as official bling.) I'll be running my first-ever 10K the following weekend. We'll have to see if I feel confident enough in the distance increase to try to commit to Wine & Dine before they sell out. Who am I and what have I done to myself?
    Running events, especially runDisney ones, can be especially addicting as you continue to test the limits of what you can do and what you enjoy doing. Welcome to the club!
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Running events, especially runDisney ones, can be especially addicting as you continue to test the limits of what you can do and what you enjoy doing. Welcome to the club!
    VERY addicting. This race will be my 7th event. 1 WDW half, 1 WDW full, 1 family 5k(unofficial Dopey), 3 Goofy's challenge, and 1 Disneyland half. My youngest son turns 14 in 2015, so we'll be back for the WDW half again in 2016 and back again in 2018 for the 25th anniversary of the Marathon. VERY addicting. haha
    Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Lorree! It's a little scary how quickly this is happening, but it's a good scary. When I find myself itching to get out and run, there's a momentary shock wondering how that happened, but then I can just enjoy it. I'm just finding that it's hard to adjust to being an adult-onset athlete. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Lorree! It's a little scary how quickly this is happening, but it's a good scary. When I find myself itching to get out and run, there's a momentary shock wondering how that happened, but then I can just enjoy it. I'm just finding that it's hard to adjust to being an adult-onset athlete. ;-)
    Soon it will just be second nature and you won't even question it - running just becomes part of your life. Can't wait to hear all about your 50th birthday celebration at EE!
    RunningFool

My wife and I are registered for EE as an anniversary present to ourselves! Although I don't really know what we've signed up for exactly... is there a description of previous EE events?
    Last runDisney event we did was Wine & Dine Half in 2012.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerFrog View Post
    My wife and I are registered for EE as an anniversary present to ourselves! Although I don't really know what we've signed up for exactly... is there a description of previous EE events?
    Last runDisney event we did was Wine & Dine Half in 2012.
    What a wonderful anniversary gift! You'll find EE quite different than any other runDisney event.

You can find out more about EE here on the runDisney site.

You'll have to tell us all about it.
    RunningFool

We signed up for EE this year, since I want to try to do all the runDisney events at least once (assuming it won't cost me an arm and a leg to do them a few times). Last year we had to go to a wedding during the weekend time, and there wasn't a way to get out of it. So I'm glad I signed up a few weeks ago. I can't believe it sold out "so quickly"!! I wonder if our MouseAdventures experience will help with the scavenger hunt part of it.

- Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Soon it will just be second nature and you won't even question it - running just becomes part of your life. Can't wait to hear all about your 50th birthday celebration at EE!
    Who knows? I may even get an article out of it! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ssmores View Post
    We signed up for EE this year, since I want to try to do all the runDisney events at least once (assuming it won't cost me an arm and a leg to do them a few times). Last year we had to go to a wedding during the weekend time, and there wasn't a way to get out of it. So I'm glad I signed up a few weeks ago. I can't believe it sold out "so quickly"!! I wonder if our MouseAdventures experience will help with the scavenger hunt part of it.
    I'm hoping that MouseAdventure experience will help. (Well, at least writing mini-MouseAdventures for MouseFest for a few years, and beta-testing the full WDW games.)

I'm hoping that MouseAdventure experience will help. (Well, at least writing mini-MouseAdventures for MouseFest for a few years, and beta-testing the full WDW games.)
    Well, if you beta tested the AK World Explorers game, you'll have a leg up on me. I didn't do the first two World Explorers, and we usually end up scoring in the middle of the pack scoring-wise. Since the EE is just a few short days after the DLR MA, hopefully my brain will still be able to work through the scavenger hunt part of the race.
    - Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmores View Post
    Well, if you beta tested the AK World Explorers game, you'll have a leg up on me. I didn't do the first two World Explorers, and we usually end up scoring in the middle of the pack scoring-wise. Since the EE is just a few short days after the DLR MA, hopefully my brain will still be able to work through the scavenger hunt part of the race.
    After doing some online research and looking at all of last year's clues, I think that it's fair to say that no park-specific knowledge will be required. However, puzzle-solving skills will likely be very helpful.

You would be surprised at how hard it can be to solve a puzzle when out of breath and dripping in sweat. This was my first RunDisney event and I was hooked! of Course, I was on the podium, but I am begging my wife to let me go back to the one that started it all. I would love to do this race with my brothers. not as a team, I want to smash them in the individual category.

Let me see If I can find my old clues and I will post them to give you an idea. I ran in 2011. You are correct that no park specific info was required. YOu had to read a word that was stretched and smashed. You had to "Navigate by the Stars" there were stars and letters on the cards and some had the letters and stars next to each other. You had to use a decoder and shift the elphabet starting with A=E, B=F, C=G etc...

The last clue was using the first letter from each clue and in that order spell MOUN and then add 10. MOUN +10 = MOUNTAIN!

Chewyswimmer, thanks for the examples! I'm getting really excited to try this event out!

Quote Originally Posted by Chewyswimmer View Post
    You would be surprised at how hard it can be to solve a puzzle when out of breath and dripping in sweat.
    I'm not surprised at all that it was difficult! You should do a MouseAdventure and see what it's like holding a clipboard, reading clues, dodging day guests, and arguing with your teammates while making a beeline to an area of the park that's the furthest point away from where you're currently standing! I shouldn't forget to mention that it's usually the hottest day of the month when they happen too. It's totally exhausting, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!

But, I just got the final race instruction email, and it has a clue in it. Trying to eat my lunch, answer email, be on an internal work call AND trying to figure the sample clue out is hard! Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out before the day ends. I don't think I can wait a whole month until the expo to find out what the answer is!

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

2014 Expedition Everest Challenge

Let me know if you want the answer or a hint. I'm bib #2910. What bib number does everyone else have?

Let me know if you want the answer or a hint. I'm bib #2910. What bib number does everyone else have?
    Ok, now that I'm only looking at the clue and not concentrating on work, I got it. Multitasking is clearly not strong today.

Bib# 5323 and 5322!

Blog Entries

Good luck to Mr. Goldhaber, ssmores, and all the Team MousePlanet Expedition Everest participants! We can't wait to hear all about the fun you will have this weekend.

RunningFool

Make us padders proud! Conquer the mountain!

Looks like they're getting some real downpours today and rain tomorrow. It might be a messy one.

Blog Entries

You can see Team MousePlanet Castle-to-Castle Challenger Rae Mills (RunnerRae) from Team 4 - Texans in Tiaras (a.k.a. the Balloon Ladies) in the runDisney blog recap of Expedition Everest. She's in the gold Mickey ears (celebrating her 50th wedding anniversary!) who is asked is she is married to the Yeti. Rae and fellow Texan Mary Harokopus (MHarokopus) ran as a team; sounds like it was a great time.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...nimal-kingdom/

RunningFool

Oh where, oh where are the race reports? Inquiring minds want to know all about this waterlogged adventure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusgirl View Post
    Oh where, oh where are the race reports? Inquiring minds want to know all about this waterlogged adventure.
    They are probably still trying to dry out. I heard from Mary earlier today and from her email, it was quite the adventure. Looking forward to hearing from Mark and ssmores!
    RunningFool

Well, it did rain on Saturday, but that's definitely better than the humidity and heat from last year's Tower of Terror 10 miler. Here's a short, jumbled set of comments from my experience:
    - The expo was very small. Most of it was outside (official merchandise and any of the pre-purchased items were inside a store), which is very different from the other runDisney events I've done. There were probably only 6 or 7 different vendors out there. So, packet pick up and exploring the "expo" was super fast.

- There were 10 corrals, and there was 6 minutes between each start. So, for my J corral, we started almost a whole hour afterwards. Rain + having to show up at least an hour before 10pm start time = a lot of standing. It was raining (light rain, and then drizzle) up until my corral started running at 10:56ish.

- Going into the park was really interesting, since later corral runners were mixing with earlier corral clue-finders, but both were separated from the after-party participants. I applaud the staff/volunteers that were directing each group appropriately through the park to be in their appropriate side of the course.

- The 3 obstacles were short and fun (although getting a bit muddy wasn't as pleasant) and the clues were fun too. We needed a few helpful hints for the first two, but go the next three with ease. And we got a cool EE flashlight keychain (+ mini sharpie) that we used during the race too.

- There were characters for photo opportunities in the after party too. Since the race is small (I think there less than 6000 bib numbers?), the lines were fairly short. The characters like rocking out to music. I wish I could have taken a video of Minnie shaking her hips to the music while taking pictures.

But this race was really fun. I didn't even think to stop and ride Expedition Everest while running the 5k portion (it was open when I got there; I'm not sure if that was the case for the people way in the front). I think it was really neat to see a lot of families running together. Now if it wasn't so expensive or far away from California...

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Sorry for not getting back here to post my race recap, but it was a bit long. It's up on the main site. I'm assuming that you've probably seen it already....

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, somehow I find myself registered for Wine & Dine AND the WDW Half in January. Help?

Blog Entries
    Yeah, somehow I find myself registered for Wine & Dine AND the WDW Half in January. Help?
    Ah yes. You've started down the slippery slope of runDisney events. There is, I'm afraid, no turning back now...
    RunningFool