Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loud baby (mine) on rides!

Loud baby (mine) on rides!

So only 50 something more days to go and I'm starting to prepare myself already for this trip. Kiki will be just shy of 12 months when we go and I have a few questions (and definitely want opinions). She is loud and chatters a lot. She basically has conversations with people in the baby babble language. How does that work on rides? Like Pirates for example. Is it going to be rude for us to take her on rides because she might chatter? She's not a crier unless she is hurt so it's not crying or whining, just talking. We can try to shush her all we want but at 10 months old (right now) she looks at us and laughs thinking we are chatting back. We are definitely working on quiet time and the word no but there is no way she'll know it before our trip. I'm the ultimate worrier by the way, I totally care what other people think and would never want to ruin another persons ride experience because of my kid.

I was going to post this in the parenting section but I know some people without kids wouldn't think to go in there for threads. I really want their opinion on this too since most people with kids won't care about a chatty baby.

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

2. # ADS

Chatty babies are cute!! Crying babies not so much! For me personally I have taken my 3 kids to Dland since they were babies, so I don't mind. We have all been there as parents. Is she super loud? Could you talk to her softly on the rides and point things out? That may distract her a bit if you are worried about how loud she is when she chatters?
    Also I don't love giving snacks as a quite method but you could try her favorite finger foods on a ride like Pirates or HM. Time it around when she would normally want a snack?

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Good idea about the snacks!

She seems super loud to me. She is just so social and grunts responses to everyone. I might be freaking out about nothing...

I'll chime in as a non-parent. I have never been bothered by a babbling baby in Disneyland or anywhere else for that matter. I think it is very cute and I'm not really a baby person (love my niece and nephew to bits but kids are not really for me). Screaming/whining children are irritating to me but I have more tollerance even for that with a baby because they can't help that.

The ambient sounds on the rides are also pretty loud so I doubt she's babbling loud enough to really disrupt those around her.

If you're concerned about it then I would guess that you're a great parent who will do what you can to ensure those around you are not bothered not one who ignores their children's behaviour. That alone would give you much more tollerance from me. You can't control everything a child will do but if you're trying to get the appropriate behaviour I appreciate that.

Shannon

I love that answer PrincessofPi. Yesterday's Miss Manners had a similar question (someones kid who just cries on the subway, hates it for some reason). Her answer was very similar in that she said most complaint letters she gets include "and the parent(s) did NOTHING".
    The only other suggestion that might work would be to place your finger on her lips when you are shushing her. B and his cousin were chatterers. We had someone get really rude and upset with us at a movie theatre. Loud movie even (Patriot Games iirc). After the movie, the ladies behind us, told us the other 2 were out of line, that the kids were not disruptive in any way and to not feel bad.
    Hang in there and as long as you are making an effort, it goes a long way.

We practice in church, the people at church are so great about it. She just chatters. She will say something and laugh like it's the funniest thing ever. I will try touching her lips when shush. I've been touching my own which she thinks is funny.

I think I am so worried because some of my family members and friends let their kids do whatever and I'm trying so hard to start early with manners. Also my parents were strict with manners so it is just drilled into my head. I have literally been with a family member in a restaurant that let the kids run through the place. I was so freaking embarrassed. They threw fits and yelled and it has just stuck with me for years.

I don't want to be the person with the kid no one wants to be around.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Loud baby (mine) on rides!

Does she sing at appropriate times in church, too? I find that particularly adorable when they sing!

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess of Pi View Post
    I'll chime in as a non-parent. I have never been bothered by a babbling baby in Disneyland or anywhere else for that matter. I think it is very cute and I'm not really a baby person (love my niece and nephew to bits but kids are not really for me). Screaming/whining children are irritating to me but I have more tollerance even for that with a baby because they can't help that.

The ambient sounds on the rides are also pretty loud so I doubt she's babbling loud enough to really disrupt those around her.

If you're concerned about it then I would guess that you're a great parent who will do what you can to ensure those around you are not bothered not one who ignores their children's behaviour. That alone would give you much more tollerance from me. You can't control everything a child will do but if you're trying to get the appropriate behaviour I appreciate that.

Shannon
    This is my vote for the post of the week. I would call it my favorite post ever but I'm a bit fickle. I just had another favorite post ever last week.

But this one is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!

And so I think you should read this over and over again.

THIS THIS THIS.

And.

This.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I'm another one who completely agrees with Princess of Pi. I'm not a huge kid person, and I know there are a lot of us out there, but it seems to be different at Disneyland. I'm a lot more tolerant, even with the screamers. More than likely everyone but the most grumpy of goers will be charmed by a babbling baby. Like she mentioned, a lot of the rides are loud, but the sounds and music aren't what's important for most rides anyway. Pirates especially is a visual ride, on HM everyone has their own speaker in their doom buggy for the important narration, iasw also is more visual and I don't think anyone would be too upset if there's a babble conversation breaking up the redundancy of the song. On a ride like pirates, there's a chance a sudden loud cannon might startle her and make her cry, and from experiences I remember, people will generally find that just as endearing as babbling. Also, in line, the babble is sure to cause some form of entertainment for those around her.

For the shows and stuff, it might be a little different since there's more audio to pay attention too. However, I haven't seen too many shows, but ones I have have seemed fairly loud also. The Tiki Room, as I remember, was very loud and is sure to block out any babbling, but she'd probably spend more time watching the birds and flowers. I also seem to remember every single time watching it, there being a kid who gets scared and starts crying. And it was never too bothersome.

So in short, I'm joining the masses in saying I don't think you should have anything to worry about. If you do happen to get on a ride with one of those grumpy goers, then I'm sure if it wasn't cute baby talk, they'd have found something else to be irrationally bothered by.

She may be so enamoured by the sights and sounds of the rides and shows she forgets what she's "saying".

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    She may be so enamoured by the sights and sounds of the rides and shows she forgets what she's "saying".
    ^^^LIKE^^^ So true! MissM, I was a pre school teacher for years and have 7 nieces and nephews, but I find with age, I am less tolerant of noises i.e. crying, whining and screeching. Baby babbling? Don't think I can have enough of it! I love to play with babies (peek a boo etc) when I see babies in public. It sounds like you are trying to teach her when it is appropriate to make noise, but definitely don't stifle her. If folks at Disneyland can't appreciate a little baby chatter, then they've come to the wrong place!!!
    Siggy aka Jill

I was thinking about this as I went to bed last night. It is Disneyland, people expect children, and some adults, to be children while in Disneyland. You're good.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    I was thinking about this as I went to bed last night. It is Disneyland, people expect children, and some adults, to be children while in Disneyland. You're good.
    I recently unfriended someone on Facebook for a variety of reasons. (I very rarely friend people any more because the unfriending part is so unpleasant for me.) One of those reasons was that she very regularly posted that Disney should have "Child-free" days. Or Child-free weeks.

I totally get adults going to Disneyland without kids. Totally get it. But seriously. It's a Disney theme park. Everyone's going to be there.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd rather there was 'bad-parent-free days' at Disney parks.
    Good parents are free to bring their children.
    'Aunties and Uncles' who can act as surrogate good parents are free to bring children.
    But if you are a parent who says "If you do X one more time then we're going to go sit down" more than once, with the same X, with an age appropriate frequency - you are not welcome.

(And MissM - from everything I've read here, you're in the category that is welcome to bring their child on those days!)

Cathy

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You'll be fine, your child is no louder than any of the other kids or adults on the rides. She just seems louder to you because she is yours and your worrying she'll bother folks. Just go have fun!

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

My kids are long grown, so I am not around little ones anymore. I can definitely say that I'd rather hear a baby babble all through any ride rather than listen to some know-it-all tell their companion what's coming up next, or be blinded by some yahoo in the front row of Pirates who turns back and blinds me with his flash while he takes repeated pictures of his family in the rows behind him. Or even someone who repeatedly screams all through the Haunted Mansion.

Your baby has the same right to be there as anyone elses children do.

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    She just seems louder to you because she is yours and your worrying she'll bother folks. Just go have fun!
    This!

I concur that anyone going to Disneyland should be ready to hear children's laughter and cooing, but another idea if you're self-conscious over the volume: does your baby ever use a pacifier?

That said, count me among those who think it's adorable when babies babble excitedly.

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    ^^^LIKE^^^ So true! MissM, I was a pre school teacher for years and have 7 nieces and nephews, but I find with age, I am less tolerant of noises i.e. crying, whining and screeching. Baby babbling? Don't think I can have enough of it! I love to play with babies (peek a boo etc) when I see babies in public. It sounds like you are trying to teach her when it is appropriate to make noise, but definitely don't stifle her. If folks at Disneyland can't appreciate a little baby chatter, then they've come to the wrong place!!!
    I do worry about stifling her sometimes. I like to be one of those people that just fly under the radar to be honest. I don't want to stand out in the crowd but I have a baby that has caused me to do this. She is so social and smiley that people come talk to her. She happily obliges. My husband told me nobody cares when babies chatter, I should have listened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I'd rather there was 'bad-parent-free days' at Disney parks.
    Good parents are free to bring their children.
    'Aunties and Uncles' who can act as surrogate good parents are free to bring children.
    But if you are a parent who says "If you do X one more time then we're going to go sit down" more than once, with the same X, with an age appropriate frequency - you are not welcome.

(And MissM - from everything I've read here, you're in the category that is welcome to bring their child on those days!)
    Oh my gosh this is a pet peeve of mine. It's like suckers at the bank. If I hear one more parent tell their kid they won't get a sucker if they keep acting naughty and then give them a sucker as they leave I am going to scream. No it is not appropriate to let your kid upstairs where I sit! They don't deserve a sucker. What happened to keeping your word?

Quote Originally Posted by rustymick View Post
    My kids are long grown, so I am not around little ones anymore. I can definitely say that I'd rather hear a baby babble all through any ride rather than listen to some know-it-all tell their companion what's coming up next, or be blinded by some yahoo in the front row of Pirates who turns back and blinds me with his flash while he takes repeated pictures of his family in the rows behind him. Or even someone who repeatedly screams all through the Haunted Mansion.

Your baby has the same right to be there as anyone elses children do.
    Ugh, this too! On our last visit (and we knew it would be a while before we got to go back) we rode Pirates last so that we could just savor the moment. We had a talker on the boat sitting in front of us. I also love the people that talk on their cell phones during rides. I'm too busy looking for stuff I've never noticed before!

So thanks all for the advice and kind words. I'm just going to roll with it. She probably will sing along and babble but I'll just let her be. If you hear a particularly loud baby talking a lot it's probably us...
    "It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Alice, Alice in Wonderland

Personally I don't really get why someone would bring an infant to Disneyland. I don't have a problem with kids in general, say over the age of a toddler, it just seems to me (and most parents I talk to about it) that bringing an infant is an expensive, extraordinary hassle for something they're not going to get much out of (and that's before we even start talking about getting shinned by strollers, or how Disneyland should build multilevel stroller parkades by each ride).

That said, as long as you're able to keep the baby calm and not allow it to just screech and cry all the way through a ride, that's great. I agree with the people who said that teenagers and adults with no decorum are worse than any baby could be. I would much rather be on a ride with a cute giggly baby than anyone acting like a jerk, no matter what their age (oh yeah, remind me not to go on an evening just before a Grad Night event again).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    Personally I don't really get why someone would bring an infant to Disneyland. I don't have a problem with kids in general, say over the age of a toddler, it just seems to me (and most parents I talk to about it) that bringing an infant is an expensive, extraordinary hassle for something they're not going to get much out of (and that's before we even start talking about getting shinned by strollers, or how Disneyland should build multilevel stroller parkades by each ride).
    Different strokes, right?

Feel free to leave your infant at home.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    Personally I don't really get why someone would bring an infant to Disneyland. I don't have a problem with kids in general, say over the age of a toddler, it just seems to me (and most parents I talk to about it) that bringing an infant is an expensive, extraordinary hassle for something they're not going to get much out of
    I'm sorry that you and the few parents you've talked to haven't experienced and can't understand all that a young child can get out of a visit to Disneyland. Cause I've witnessed many magical moments, sometimes with babies I know, and sometimes just watching random strangers.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

That's alright cstephens, if I want to apologize, I can apologize for myself. Nothing I said requires anybody to get defensive or insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I'm sorry that you and the few parents you've talked to haven't experienced and can't understand all that a young child can get out of a visit to Disneyland. Cause I've witnessed many magical moments, sometimes with babies I know, and sometimes just watching random strangers.
    I am so looking forward to the magical moments! She loves people in costume, I can't wait to get her picture with Minnie!

We took our DD the day after her first birthday for 5 days. She had a great time, and our time was enhanced by her enjoyment. Now we also took my son before he was a month old. It did not cost us more to take him since he was free. If we weren't willing to take him then it would have meant our DD (who was almost 3) wouldn't have been able to go either. Sure we had to riderswap and deal with diaper changes, but we all had a great time.