Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: New, free guided tour of the Carthay Circle Restaurant at DCA

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

New, free guided tour of the Carthay Circle Restaurant at DCA

Oh, I hate it when I leave something out of the Update. This was announced to CMs last week, and Disney posted about it to their Facebook page today.

Want to learn more about Carthay Circle Restaurant? A new 15-minute tour led by a Carthay Circle Restaurant host or hostess will explore the history of the theater and its connections to The Walt Disney Company.

The tour is offered once daily at 10:30am. Guests should meet in front of the restaurant.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

I wonder if this will include a "peak" into the exclusive lounge similar to what guests on the larger (and pricier) tour in DL get of Club 33?

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

Since its 10:30am, before they open for lunch. I imagine they would at least take you upstairs.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I wonder if this will include a "peak" into the exclusive lounge similar to what guests on the larger (and pricier) tour in DL get of Club 33?
    Hmmm. I don't know if this includes 1901, and I can imagine members being annoyed if Disney marched a tour group through there every morning. I'm planning to go this week, so I'll report back.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

How is Carthay doing as a restaurant? Wonder if this is a way to entice more customers to come in?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    How is Carthay doing as a restaurant? Wonder if this is a way to entice more customers to come in?
    It was busy on Saturday night and absolutely packed last night.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

When I was there in the spring I couldn't get a table as a walk-up and had to jockey for space in the Lounge.

I'm glad they're doing this and might take it myself. The GCH tour was really interesting, I figure it's along similar lines.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    It was busy on Saturday night and absolutely packed last night.
    there are times when they tweet out that they are accepting walk ups, etc. and other times when you can honestly say "fuggedaboudit". I think now that all passes are good for most days it will be more crowded (just as the parks are, its a numbers thing). so plan accordingly.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    there are times when they tweet out that they are accepting walk ups, etc.
    I think all of the times I've seen those, it's been about lunch, which sort of makes sense since most people probably aren't thinking about dining there that early. I've had dinner there several times but haven't actually had lunch there yet.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

We've had luck being walk ups for dinner on Saturdays between 5:00 and 6:00 pm, closer to 5 is better. Being a small party helps, too.

I'll be very curious to hear reports about the tour! I'd totally be willing to do it next month, we have a 1 year old so we won't be dining there for a while.

Keep Moving Forward!

Every time I've eaten at Carthay (except once), I've gone in right when they open for lunch and I've always gotten in. This is Sat or Sun. The one exception was going in late, right before closing. It always gets busy soon after opening, but never full.

Has anyone done the tour yet?

Keep Moving Forward!

I took the tour this week and was seriously underwhelmed, especially when comparing it to the tour of the GCH. The premise was that the restaurant is an exacting replica of the theatre, but the only evidence provided was the photographs on the walls. I'm a design nerd, I wanted to hear about what inspired this or that wallpaper design/ carpet pattern/ light fixture/ door handle. Nope.

It was, basically, a short commercial for the restaurant. Much was made of the fact that you could request to be seated in any of the seven rooms, and they would do their best to accomodate you. (This was mentioned twice.) It was definitely geared toward people who hadn't dined there yet, pointing out the reservations podium, wine collection, Chef Sutton, and the specialty biscuits. I should have gone over to beat the crowd at TSMM instead.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

New, free guided tour of the Carthay Circle Restaurant at DCA

Thanks for the report--I would be disappointed too!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson