Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Changes in Guest Assistance Pass for Disabled?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker44 View Post
    This is a very good point for all children to learn. However, depending on the severity of the Autism (or any cognitive disability), it's a difficult concept that can be quite beyond the child's grasp.
    Unfortunately, I know quite a few 'non-spectrum' adults who have troubles grasping this 100% of the time! (Like the ones who hired the individuals to use their 'FOTL that really insn't FOTL' pass)
    Cathy

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    M
    Painting with VERY broad strokes, I think some of the parents who are most upset now may be surprised when their kids rise to the challenge and either survive in the regular lines so that the patterns can be met or adapt to a new routine where they get the return time to their favorite ride and then do something else without having a breakdown.

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    Exactly. Reposting because it is just that good.

I should have known to come to MousePlanet for a place where something like this is being discussed thoughtfully. I keep reading the articles (most are sent to me by other folks since I am the office and family resident Disney expert) and mostly what I kept thinking was "Who are all these people with the magic front of the line GAC cards?" My son Nathan is in a wheelchair and we never even bother with a GAC card at Disneyland. We mostly do rides with Wheelchair cars, so typically our waits are always longer than anyone else's. We wait in the regular lines and then for the WAV vehicle to come around. That's not to say that people aren't accommodating or kind to Nathan it just doesn't translate to less waiting.

We do usually get a GAC card at WDW, but that is mostly because they ask for it a lot more. Especially at WDW, it seems like the GAC card was shorthand for "Needs Help/Disabled" regardless of what the accommodation was. With Nathan it's pretty obvious we need WC seating etc, but they would ask to see the card. I wonder if the new card will serve the same function. If it's just a matter for ride waits, then maybe it won't. We'll be at Dland the weekend after the new policy and we thought we'd get one of the new passes just to make sure we understand how it works for our upcoming WDW trip. Since our accommodation is for the WC, maybe it won't impact anything at all. I guess we'll all see how this all shakes out. All I know is that as long as Nathan gets to ride the train with his Grandpa on that trip, there's just no way it won't be perfect!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I've also posted this in a blog entry but Adrienne (who is busy with MouseAdventure this weekend and is not able to get near a computer at the moment) asked me to share this with everyone right away. It's an official letter from parks president Meg Crofton acknowledging that changes are coming at the Disney theme parks:

Meg Crofton, President of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Operations, released an official statement to the public regarding changes to the system for providing access to rides for guests with disabilities.

She writes:

Dear Friends,

Disney Parks holds a cherished place in the hearts of the millions of Guests who visit us each year. We know that is especially true for those of you who have a loved one with a disability. For many families, what would be impossible elsewhere is not only possible, but magical, at our parks and resorts. We are proud to play such an important role in so many of your lives.

Unfortunately, our current program for providing access to attractions for Guests with disabilities has been abused and exploited to such an extent that we are no longer able to effectively sustain it in its present form. After careful consideration, and with the needs of our Guests with disabilities as our foremost concern, we are modifying the current program so that we will be able to continue to serve those Guests for whom the program is intended.

Over the past few days, you have likely heard about these upcoming changes and how they might affect our Guests with disabilities. Our relationship with you is important to us, and we want to take the opportunity to clear up any confusion or misinterpretation.

Our commitment to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all our Guests has not changed. We have long recognized that people may have different needs, and we will continue to work individually with our Guests with disabilities to provide assistance that is response to their unique circumstances.

As with any changes, there will be a period of adjustment, particularly for those families who have developed and refined their preferred ways of enjoying our parks with their loved ones over the years. I thank you in advance for your patience as we fine-tune our new program to mitigate the current abuse, while still providing the special experience our Guests have come to expect from Disney.

Most of all, tank you for entrusting your treasured time with those you love to Disney Parks.

Sincerely,

Meg Crofton
    President, Walt Disney Parks and Resort Operations, U.S. and France
    Disney Letter_Final.pdf
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

No, "tank YOU", Meg!

John

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    No, "tank YOU", Meg!
    To be fair, the letter itself is spelled correctly, so that's just a typo on Lani's part.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Some new official information has been released by Disney. Here are the links:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...rd-fact-sheet/
    http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...eyland-resort/

2015: Star Wars 10k + Avengers 10k
    2016: Star Wars 10k, Paris Half and 5k, Avengers Half
    2017: Star Wars Light Side Half, Star Wars Dark Side Half, Paris Half and 10k, Avengers 10k
    MouseAdventure Addict- Usually "Beware the Groove"

Right in the middle of the top one it now says that the DAS card holder does not have to be present to get a return time.
    Interesting that we will have kiosks at DLR but WDW will be at each attraction.
    Oh and it says that they are developing a guide that will be available online mid October for guests with cognitive disablities.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Thank you for those links, just based on what I just read I think the new program is in fact going to work for most of those who need the program the most! I can see it fitting my daughters needs with very little impact on how we currently visit the parks. The two things I was most concerned about, her having to go to the kiosk each time and having to go to guest services every morning were both addressed with her needs being met completely. We all hate change but if this new system slows down the abuse it will make things so much better for all the guests in the parks both those using the system and those who have to wait an extra ride cycle because people were abusing the current system!

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Interesting that we will have kiosks at DLR but WDW will be at each attraction.
    It was explained to me that WDW has a "greeter" at every attraction who will be the front-line CM for administering this policy, where Disneyland does not and thus needs to use the kiosk system.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Judy Mark with the Autism Society of Los Angeles forwarded to me an e-mail from Disney her organization has been asked to distribute to their members, which has a few additional pieces of information about alternate accommodations for guests with cognitive disabilities.

Disneyland Parks Message for Distribution

Disney Parks have an unwavering commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment and accessible experiences for guests.

On October 9, the process that provides access to attractions for guests with disabilities, known as the Guest Assistance Card, will be replaced with the new Disability Access Service (DAS) Card. Guests will request the new card at Guest Relations and DAS Cardholders will receive a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. The DAS Card is designed to provide the special experience guests have come to expect from Disney. It will also help control abuse that was, unfortunately, growing at an alarming rate.

For more information on this new card, please visit our website.

We believe that the DAS card, with its virtual wait, will accommodate many of our guests with disabilities.

However, we also recognize that our guests with disabilities have varying needs, and we will continue to work individually with them to provide assistance that is responsive to their unique circumstances.

While each situation will be handled individually at Guest Relations, following are two examples of accommodations that could be offered based on a guests needs:

-- For a guest whose disability enables them to be in the park for only a limited time, the guest might be offered an accommodation that enables them to use the DAS Card in conjunction with access to a number of attractions without having to obtain a return time.

-- Another potential accommodation, based on a guests unique needs, might include providing access to a favorite attraction multiple times in a row without having to obtain a return time.

If you need more information or have specific questions about an upcoming trip, please send an email to disability.services@disneyparks.com. If you are planning a vacation in the next few months, please include a contact phone number and the best time
    [Note, this is exactly where the e-mail cut off, and I'm not sure if there was anything else]

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Judy Mark with the Autism Society of Los Angeles forwarded to me an e-mail from Disney her organization has been asked to distribute to their members, which has a few additional pieces of information about alternate accommodations for guests with cognitive disabilities.
    Yet earlier

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    The Autism Society of Los Angeles has issued a media release regarding the changes:
    The Autism Society of Los Angeles, representing thousands of individuals with autism and their families in Southern California, today expressed concern about the overhaul of the system which allows individuals with disabilities to avoid long waits for rides. While the organization acknowledges the abuse of the program by non-disabled individuals -- actions that the group strongly condemns the revamped system will prevent many individuals with developmental disabilities from being able to visit the Disney Parks. The new policy goes into effect on October 9 at both the Disneyland and Walt Disney World resorts.

The unintended consequence of Disneys policy change is to punish individuals with developmental disabilities with legitimate special needs, said Judy Mark, Government Relations Chair of the Autism Society of Los Angeles. The change will turn The Happiest Place on Earth into a nightmare for many families with children with autism.
    Does this mean that they have called off the lynch mob? Being able to ride a ride multiple times and possibly not having to wait for the standby period doesn't seem on its surface like it will prevent individuals from being able to visit the Disney Parks.

Of course, we are still waiting to see what reality looks like, but the basic concept seems manageable.

I will be very interested to read the forthcoming guide for guests with cognitive disabilities.

It was explained to me that WDW has a "greeter" at every attraction who will be the front-line CM for administering this policy, where Disneyland does not and thus needs to use the kiosk system.
    From our two trips this year to WDW, which both ended up with disabled party members (my daughter w/CP who we brought our adaptive stroller for and then greatgrandma who ended up having to use a wheelchair despite initially saying she wouldn't do it), this is a recurring problem at DLR that it seems WDW tends to handle better in general. I am trying to recall if there was a single attraction that there was no CM at the front entrance of at WDW. There may have been (Winnie the Pooh is the only one I can think of). That in and of itself is very very useful and I wish that was part of Disneyland's answer too. For those who are unfamiliar with access/lines etc it was helpful generally being able to answer questions. I wish DLR made it a practice too, but by and large they do not and it has a few times been a hassle to try and track DOWN a CM to inquire about an access question.

Overall, it looks like they have responded pretty well to some concerns expressed here. I like that what they've explained is more flexible than what was originally described (well, rumored). I'm also glad they went live and public with this info BEFORE, so those with trips soon can call ahead and ask questions.

I hope that DLR will start using the sticker tag for "stroller as wheelchair", we might not need a GAC at all if that's the case.
    Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    I hope that DLR will start using the sticker tag for "stroller as wheelchair", we might not need a GAC at all if that's the case.
    I have seen "tagged stroller" referenced in several documents, so my guess is that the "stroller as wheelchair" accommodation is part of this change.

AVP

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

For those going to the parks today please report back on how the program seems to be working. Wish I could go today to test it out myself . . . ..

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just saw on the news (NBC, Los Angeles) that many are unhappy that "Disneyland has cancelled its policy of allowing disabled guests to go to the front of the line" and that an organization, which I did not catch the name of, is planning to "march on Disneyland" today in protest of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    I just saw on the news (NBC, Los Angeles) that many are unhappy that "Disneyland has cancelled its policy of allowing disabled guests to go to the front of the line" and that an organization, which I did not catch the name of, is planning to "march on Disneyland" today in protest of the changes.
    I can't wait....

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    an organization, which I did not catch the name of, is planning to "march on Disneyland" today in protest of the changes.
    SERIOUSLY??? Holy Cow.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    I can't wait....
    I'll bring the popcorn.

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I'll bring the popcorn.
    can we sell tickets!? Should be fun.....
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Protesting a system they haven't even experienced yet seems a bit extreme. I'm disabled (traveling the parks in a wheelchair or scooter), and am going to assume it will be fine. Sure, they'll have to work out some kinks, but if it stops (or at least slows) abuse, then I'll be the first to celebrate the change. I just feel bad for the CMs having to deal with angry people over the next few weeks!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the entire idea of "losing" front of the line is way overblown I think. If the elements of the program are true based on posted updates (not officially released) then there will be some adjustment but most will still get to move up to the front (since some fastpass can't accomodate access vehicles) and for others you can do other things.

I have no one in my family who is disabled nor do I know anyone close. So the next sentence is just a thought on the subject. I guess I would ask is the concern and fear these families are experiencing based on their own inconvenience, instead of the specific person with the disability? In the GAC world, lets say a person with a true disability gets the GAC for front of line. However, it may be difficult for them to be able to get to multiple attractions. So - to make the day enjoyable for all maybe the rest of the family or group, or a portion thereof, goes off to another attraction while the specific person who earned the GAC rests or hangs out. I get it - its expensive to go and you want everyone to have a good time. Now that this part of the system has gone away with DAS, I think to myself this is where the heat of moment might be based.

Your losing a benefit that you felt was necessary or entitled to - and maybe 100% accurate - but allowed for unplanned usage patterns that impacted the system. As they said with the changes to fastpass itself that are on the horizon - if this helps to reduce wait times overall then it really does benefit the park guests - of all types. Its just hard to see at the moment.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

I think this did become one of those things where when everyone is 'special,' then no one is. If there are as many people waiting in the special access lines as the regular lines, then everyone suffers. But it is never easy to take away an entitlement, even it if is ill deserved.

It would be an interesting rally if the only people protesting were those who were abusing the system and faking injury or disability. Or, as in the case of some of the prior union disputes with Disney, those who are outraged on behalf of others without having their own dog in the fight.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    It would be an interesting rally if the only people protesting were those who were abusing the system and faking injury or disability. Or, as in the case of some of the prior union disputes with Disney, those who are outraged on behalf of others without having their own dog in the fight.
    The problem for me is that I know several people who need the system, who are not protesting. So I question the level of entitlement of the people protesting before they even see what it looks like. It makes me wonder, "Ok, how much do they actually 'need' accommodations?"

Me thinks they doth protest too much.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    The problem for me is that I know several people who need the system, who are not protesting. So I question the level of entitlement of the people protesting before they even see what it looks like. It makes me wonder, "Ok, how much do they actually 'need' accommodations?"

Me thinks they doth protest too much.
    I can kind of understand, but not completely. Part of it is the Momma Bear protecting their cubs. What they had worked well, adn the fear of the unknown. THAT SAID, no one knows how this is going to work. It could be great! We try to teach our kids patience, yet the parents are the first to break.

I have "family members" (not immediate) who need accommodations. They really do. However, these same family members abuse the system. I will be very happy with the changes so they cannot abuse the system any longer.
    Planning 3 trips at once...