Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Polynesian Resort DVC?

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Polynesian Resort DVC?

Just read a blurb in the news forum that the Poly is now getting a DVC resort!

I couldn't find on the DVC website which resorts were still being sold (vs ones that are sold out). I'm just curious how many 'active' sale locations they have, and now they're adding another?

Cathy

2. # ADS

I'm excited about this. We are still a year or two away from buying but definitely want to buy in wdw. We will probably buy BCV resale too since we loved it so much.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Here's the official press release:

Disney Vacation Club Announces New Development Project at Disney's Polynesian Resort

Disney Vacation Club will have three resorts along the monorail system

Celebration, Fla. (Sept. 17, 2013) – Today, Disney Vacation Club announced that its planned next location will be at Disney's Polynesian Resort, located on Seven Seas Lagoon at Walt Disney World Resort. When this resort is completed, Disney Vacation Club will have destinations at all three resorts on the monorail system, allowing easy access to Magic Kingdom Park.

The planned development project at Disney's Polynesian Resort, when completed, will join Disney Vacation Club's 12 other properties, including The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, scheduled to open Oct. 23.

Construction on the Polynesian project began this month, and completion is estimated to be in 2015. In addition to the Disney Vacation Club project, other guest areas within Disney's Polynesian Resort will undergo refurbishment. More information and project details will be shared at a later date.

Disney Vacation Club debuted in October 1991 with a flexible, vacation point-based model rather than the traditional fixed-week timeshare model. Disney Vacation Club is approaching a total of 200,000 member families from all 50 states and approximately 100 countries who have discovered the joys of membership.

Disney Vacation Club members are able to choose from among a variety of vacation destinations, including a stay at any Disney Vacation Club Resort or at more than 500 other destinations around the world, and when they purchase directly from Disney, members also can take trips on one of the Disney Cruise Line ships or guided vacations with Adventures by Disney. Additionally, vacations at a Disney Vacation Club Resort can last from one night to several weeks.

For more information about Disney Vacation Club, visit www.disneyvacationclub.com.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am excited about the option of staying there in the future. I think it was the next logical step. I think after this, the only Deluxe resort without a DVC component will be the Yacht Club.

It will be interesting to see what the points chart will look like for the Poly.

The other good part to this is that other areas of the Poly will get a refurb! I hope that dispels some of the other rumors and myths related to what they were going to do along those lines.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Dvc coming to the poly

Well, we figured, but here's the announcement in the Orlando Sentinel (about 7 minutes ago at 4:51 Central Time when I posted it):
    DVC Poly Story Construction will be complete in 2015, but we don't know how many units will be built.

(ALSO--Article states refurb info on the resort as well).

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the points chart will look like for the Poly.
    This.

I think there's still time to buy Powerball tickets. It's up to $400 million and the drawing is tomorrow. lol
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I couldn't find on the DVC website which resorts were still being sold (vs ones that are sold out). I'm just curious how many 'active' sale locations they have, and now they're adding another?
    The resorts being actively marketed include Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Villas and Aulani.
    DVC Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    The resorts being actively marketed include Grand Floridian, Animal Kingdom Villas and Aulani.
    Of these we were looking at AKV, but Poly may be a better choice for us depending on the points chart and availability. I'm hoping to get back to WDW next year or the next (and hopefully buy into DVC then).
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Blog Entries

Lets put it this way..... It would be a safe bet to say that the villas at the Poly will require a good number of additional points compared to some of the older resorts. I know that VGF are right up there, and BLT is up there as well, in comparison to some of the others.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

As if we didn't have too many points to use in a year already, my tiki-themed-loving DH will undoubtedly want to buy here.

Karin

Loving my sweet pea.

Well Karin, if you ever find your self really *needing* to slough off some of those points, you just let me know, k?!

Well, if I were a DVC owner, I'd be elated. But unfortunately I'm not. I don't think I ever will be. As a non-DVCer, it disappoints me on several levels.

1) I have my very first, maybe only, Poly stay booked for the beginning of December. Construction around Sunset Point and the Tahiti beach I can handle. Lots of renovations at the pool and/or Lobby/Grand Ceremonial House I can not. It was rumored the latter renovations wouldn't begin until January but now I'm hearing earlier. I've often thought about moving but I *really* want to stay here. At this point I might move, but not much is available anymore for the length of my stay. We'll see. But after catching up on all the news yesterday, I definitely feel disheartened.

2) I'm not a fan of Disney upping the capacity of the three monorail resorts, thus increasing the load on the monorail, boats & restaurants.

3P1P - I'm not quite sure if you'll have that long to buy into the Poly DVC. I think it is going to sell out very quickly. You may want to keep your eye on it when it opens for sale.

Super Moderator
    MousePad Moderator

Blog Entries

I may have to take you up on that, THPoohBear, once the Poly DVC goes on sale so we can afford those points!

Karin

Lets put it this way..... It would be a safe bet to say that the villas at the Poly will require a good number of additional points compared to some of the older resorts. I know that VGF are right up there, and BLT is up there as well, in comparison to some of the others.
    Yes, we've seen "point chart inflation" with BLT, then VGC, and now VGF. The Poly will raise the number of points required for a comparable stay yet again.
    DVC Mike

Blog Entries

Agreed, Mike. And to be honest, when I saw VGF's point chart, it made me nod my head and think that it will be a long time before I use points for a stay there. (Being that I have only 160 points.)

People need to take a look at what the proposed point charts will look like so they can see what their overall costs will be.

However, I would think that Poly die-hards, if they are honest with themselves, would actually benefit from DVC membership with Poly as their home resort over paying cash for rooms. Or so Im predicting.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    THIS. We have two home resorts, AKV and BLT. While I love the location of BLT, that is about all I love about it. Granted, I've only had one stay there so far, but it wasn't magical. I'm not a huge fan of the decor, but that's seriously a minor detail for me. I'm thinking of selling that contract and purchasing at VGF, but the points are so ridiculously high. And Poly? It would have to have a MAJOR overhaul to get me to buy into the inflated points chart that they are likely to have. I just get so sad when I walk into the Poly, it's so SO tired. Fun theme? Sure. But it really needs updating, like yesterday. And for the price of a DVC contract I would want a whole lot more than they are currently offering. I love my DVC and will likely add points to BLT or make a home resort change, but nothing is getting me uber excited right now. I love the the idea of the VGF, but the points make me cringe. I'm thinking of trying to book a stay there to test it out with my DH when we go for W&D next year.
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Are there any real rumors/plans for another DVC in CA? I still think they should put a DVC tower in the Simba lot. We are looking to add on in 3-5 years but you would jump right on a CA option!

Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Blog Entries

With some humor - when it comes to Disney, rumors abound. However another DVC resort on the west coast is not one that I have heard. Who knows if others have heard otherwise.

What do you think about the overwater bungalows? Like Bora Bora I guess. I am not sure that I am interested since you can not swim in the lagoon. (Saw some construction footage and plans on another site) I am sure they will be hugely popular but I personally think the cost is going to be higher then the experience merits.