Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Son's First Disney Trip!

My Son's First Disney Trip!

Very excited to have found this board! I just booked my 5 yo son's first Disneyland trip~ I chose Disneyland because I have been there dozens of times and wanted to be on familiar ground. We are going 9/23-9/30~ have tickets for the Halloween Party on the 27th and we are staying at the PPH. Since we will be there during the week in a less busy time do I need to worry about booking restaurant reservations and planning to death or can I go with the flow? We will have EE everyday and have hopper passes for the entire 7 days we are there. Any advice to make his trip the most incredible experience of his life? It's just the 2 of us. I especially need advice about what NEEDS pre-planning and what can flow. Thank you!!!!

2. # ADS

Just wanted to say how wonderful it is that your son will be enjoying his first trip to DL. I am so excited for you! I really am. Afraid I don't really have any tips for Halloween time visits but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly.

I hope you and he have the most Magica Trip ever!!
    GnP

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

First off let me add my congratulations on your sons first trip to our Happy Place! I love that you've given yourself ample time to do it "right" and by that I mean with 7 days you don't have to rush from one spot to the other to try and cram it all in, this is his first visit so you want to take it casually and let him really experience the magic. Take the time to go see the assorted shows, the new Magical Map is excellent, the parades are cute and have characters he will recognize. At 5 I'm going to assume he'll be tall enough to try any ride that he decides he wants to try but even at 5 don't expect him to embrace the bigger rides like California Screaming. Plan to spend a LOT of time in Carsland, it's amazing! As for the reservations that honestly depends on the type of eaters you are. Do you want a break from the parks where you can sit and be served or are you ok with counter service for the most part? They plan to start the credit card guarantee for reservations in the fall (no actual start date, just information given to me by a CM on the dine line when I made a PS for our July trip) so that might be a consideration. You are going during a not quite as busy time so you may be able to get away with walk up seating at Storytellers or even Carthay Circle if you're willing to wait a bit. I don't know if I'd bother with Blue Bayou with a 5 year old. The kids meals are pretty limited but you can go to the MP guide and get an idea of the meals and prices. We really enjoy the meals at the Plaza Inn and over in the food court at DCA. I would strongly recommend you pre purchasing photopass plus now so that all your ride photos, any of the photo pass folks photos and any character meal photos are pre paid.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

I would plan to do at least one character meal and I would suggest making a reservation for the time that works best for you. We did Minnie's breakfast and loved it. Although it's called Minnie's breakfast, the meal includes plenty of other characters like Pooh and friends, Captain Hook, Chip & Dale. No Mickey or Goofy, but it is the only character meal in DL (there is a princess meal at DCA, but probably not his thing).

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    I would plan to do at least one character meal and I would suggest making a reservation for the time that works best for you. We did Minnie's breakfast and loved it. Although it's called Minnie's breakfast, the meal includes plenty of other characters like Pooh and friends, Captain Hook, Chip & Dale. No Mickey or Goofy, but it is the only character meal in DL (there is a princess meal at DCA, but probably not his thing).
    The Goody’s breakfast at DL hotel is good and the chip dale one at PPH was our sons favorite when you are there the pirates league will be running it was a blast and my son still talks about it

How awesome!
    With a 5 year old, I'd say to leave yourself the flexibility to go with HIS flow. I would avoid the sit-down restaurants except for at least one character meal. Why tie yourself into reservations for a bunch of meals when you can't know ahead of time if he'll want to eat then, or if you'll even be in that part of the resort at that particular time? Let your plans be guided by what he wants. Go on the teacups 20 times in a row? Sure, if that's what he wants and your stomach can take it. Ride the monorail around and around? Why not, if he's asking? Stop to visit EVERY character? Sure, if he runs toward every one he sees!

Another good "travel with kid" tip I've seen is to build up his tolerance for long walks in the months leading up to the trip. That way, there is less risk of a fatigue-generated meltdown or a tired mommy pressed into carrying her tired boy!

If there ends up being one particular character he loves and you are taking photos with your own camera, try printing out an 8x10 at a Walgreens or something, then bring it back into the park the next day and get that character's signature. We did that for my Show White-loving DD when she was about 4, and that photo became a treasured possession.

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

REALITY CHECK!!!!
    And this is for the many folks who are planning a visit with youngsters for the first time in the poster age range.

first, let me tell you about my 5 year old. Jumped off the roof with a superhero cape, picked up snakes, mice and every insect. Walked up steep brushy trails in the cascades and loved sledding steep hills. Disneyland terrified him!!!!!

It was not the trip I envisioned and left me very frustrated.
    So here are my tips:
    rent a stroller from day 3 on. We took afternoon breaks and naps, but the stroller on day 3 was needed and improved everything.

Choose your first dark ride carefully!!!

Autograph book for all the characters you will wait in line to visit.
    be prepared to go around and and round on the same ride and not ride many of the rides. Tom Sawyer/pirate cove will also be a favorite.

And when you are leaving the park, heading back home, be prepared for this response to this question "What did you like best at Disneyland?" his reply " The pool. I really liked the pool."

Quote Originally Posted by ALB2277 View Post
    The Goody’s breakfast at DL hotel is good and the chip dale one at PPH was our sons favorite when you are there the pirates league will be running it was a blast and my son still talks about it
    Chip and Dale are at Storytellers at the Grand Californian-Stitch is at Paradise Pier.
    Siggy aka Jill

My kids both went starting around 18 months and have loved it every time! I agree with the other posters that you should go with the flow of what your son wants to do. You won't enjoy yourself if you are stressed out about doing everything. However, I would plan a few things that might make your trip a little more enjoyable. Like if you want to do radiator springs racers, it's probably best to go get a fast pass ticket first thing in the morning. That way you can hopefully avoid an overly long wait in line. Also if you do have a fast pass, keep in mind the return time so you are not completely across the park (or in the other park) during that time. Disney is now being strict with the return times. It is good that you have 7 days there, it should allow you to be able to fit everything in you and your son want to do without feeling rushed. When we go we definitely try to follow the flow of the park as far as going on rides that are close by if we can. Zig zagging all around the parks just adds more time walking around. There are several Disney phone apps that update current wait times of rides, downloading one of them might be helpful. Often if one side of the park is really packed and busy the other side will be less crowded and have rides with shorter wait times.

I would make reservations for any character meals or sit down restaurants that you really want to try. You never know what the wait time will be, you might get lucky, you might not. We find bringing snacks and waters in a small backpack is very helpful and more cost effective.

I hope you and your son enjoy your trip! A few fun things that my kids have enjoyed: Ask to ride in the front of the monorail and/or the train at Disneyland, Jedi training academy, the Aladdin show, Bugsland 3D show and if warm enough the water play area in Bugsland is always a hit with my kids (we bring small towel and change of clothes or bathing suit) Enjoy!

Have your son wear a Star Wars shirt on the day that you do the Jedi Training Academy. My non-scientific observation is that my son has been chosen every single time he wears a Star Wars shirt (or his Yoda backpack), and 50/50 on those times when he doesn't have Star Wars accessories around.

Maybe plan of some games for long queues. If he is working on letters or colors or shapes, you can play a game where you take turns spotting a circle, or the color red, or the letter T in line.

Team "Club 34" - NOW MASTERS!
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Ready Player One (Spring 2015)
    2nd place Family in MouseAdventure Card Games: Deuces Wild (Spring 2014)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure 365 (Fall 2013)
    1st place Family in MouseAdventure Musical (Spring 2013) - top score in all of Basic!

So I've gone with a 7 yr old, and my son who has been at 20 mo and 26 mo old. Lessons learned: Make the time to take naps during the day. Unless he has shown before that he likes dark rides, be prepared that ones like Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, and Space Mountain may not be good bets. Also, if your son is still noise sensitive (like my son), he may not like the fireworks. Boys should love RSR, so getting a fast pass for that would be a goal. Fit Toon Town into the flow every other day as he'll like that, and it's good to let him run around in that controlled area. He should love Splash Mountain (the weather should be warm enough to do this multiple times) and Thunder Mountain.

I know it sounds strange, but I would rent a stroller. At that age, their little legs get tired. This saved us a lot of whining when my son was little. When their legs get tired, they can rest. Obviously, he doesn't have to be in it the majority of the time, just when he gets worn out. I know this sounds nuts, but we would let my son rest in one and push him around until he was 7 (he was a skinny little guy!)! Usually, we didn't rent one on the first day, but by the second and third it saved a lot of wear and tear on his legs and feet and prevented a lot of whining. Plus, since he has ADHD, it was a good way for me and my husband to keep track of him. Just a suggestion. I know it sounds kooky, but it really helps.

I've read on the WDW boards that having a stroller even with teenagers is a good idea just as a mobile locker. It's very convenient for towels (for the water rides), changes of clothes, sweatshirts (when it cools off at night), snacks, etc. Most folks suggest buying an inexpensive stroller with storage on the bottom (rather than an umbrella stroller).

Obviously, it has to be something that he would fit in. And, yes, I agree with nikodemos that it makes a great mobile locker to hold snacks, water bottles and whatever else you need without breaking your back carrying around stuff in a backpack. You can hang a backpack on the back while you are pushing it around and then take the backpack with you on the rides. The rentals have no front bar. A baby stroller with a front bar isn't going to work well with a five-year-old. An umbrella stroller could work, but the rentals are sturdier and although they have modest strorage, there is a small storage place underneath and I believe that the push bars are strong enough to hang your backpack on if you string it over both sides. It really helps keep up their stamina and to avoid blisters and achy legs. It was a lifesaver for us on three-day trips. Just something to consider. It may seem that he is too old, but when you consider the amount of walking that will be required for someone so small, it really is helpful for giving his legs and feet a break (which will result in a happier little guy and a happier you!).

Attached Images Attached Images

I didn't notice that curtsinore above already recommended a stroller. I'm seconding that! I also agree that you have to be flexible and not have any preset expectations. I know that at two, my daughter loved the playground at Toon Town more than anything else! All that money for her to play on a slide! She just loved that slide! My son loved the different types of fences at the zoo more than he liked any of the animals when he was little. Just play it by ear and stay open. He may not react the way you hope he does to things. However, my daughter enjoyed Disneyland immensely at the age of four, so he should have a wonderful time at five. Everything will seem real to him at that age and will be magical (or scary! you never can tell).

Last edited by Rapunzelthorn; 07-28-2013 at 11:11 PM.

OMG~ you guys are awesome!~ Definitely like the idea of the stroller~ how do you keep track of which is yours? I wouldn't keep valuables but I would hate for his swim clothes to disappear. He is very noise sensitive but not afraid of much. I was planning on the PPH character breakfast early in the trip then if he likes it planning another. Also~ I have read somewhere that you can book at one of the restaurants the last seating then they let you stay to watch Fantasmic. Is this still possible?

Happy boy and Mama~

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

No, there is no restaurant seating for fantasmic, you have a lot of options, you can purchase the reserve seats on the rivers edge, a bit pricey but well worth having a real chair for some of us, the dessert box is just an added bonus. You can camp out for hours for perfect waterside seats/view for the first show or wait for the second show and get good seats with less wait time but later show times.

As for knowing which rental stroller is yours, a common trick used is to take a colorful bandanna and tie it to the handle. Some people will use a balloon but for me that's not a really great option because 1) the balloon will get annoying fast as you walk along, and 2) there are some not so honest folks at the park who would have no problem taking the stroller just to get the balloon. You keep the receipt and if someone DOES take your stroller either by design or mistake and you get a replacement without another rental fee but it won't replace your stuff.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My Son's First Disney Trip!

And the rental strollers do have name cards in them.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    And the rental strollers do have name cards in them.
    This. The little window in the top you can see is a place for a name card.

The rental stroller is good for up to 80 pounds. The last time we used one for A she was about 8. N is super tall, really long legs but could sit with her feet on the lower bar just above the wheels to take a break at 10 or 11 (when we had one rented for A).

A is very noise sensitive, hated the vacuum, the squishy foam earplugs were a life saver. She doesn't have tactile issues, so she loved them, she still takes the pair out of daddy's truck when we are wood cutting. She is used to DL, although the fireworks are still borderline. They don't eliminate the noise, just muffle it to a reasonable level. You can get them at any drug store (Walmart, CVS, Walgreens) wherever they keep the ear drops usually with the eye care stuff. She could handle just about any ride after we figured that out. The sound in RSR is Loud! I was in a car with a little boy with his hands over his ears the whole ride in June. Anything with the speakers right in the vehicle is quite loud.

[QUOTE=MammaSilva;1812183]No, there is no restaurant seating for fantasmic, you have a lot of options, you can purchase the reserve seats on the rivers edge, a bit pricey but well worth having a real chair for some of us, the dessert box is just an added bonus. You can camp out for hours for perfect waterside seats/view for the first show or wait for the second show and get good seats with less wait time but later show times.

Is the dessert really worth it? are the seats phenomenal? I have heard that if you book the last reservation at Cafe Orleans and ask for an outside table they will let you stay for the show and watch it from there. Also~ they have not released schedules yet for end of September and I'm wondering if anyone knows the approximate park hours dring this time of year?

TIA

Happy boy and Mama~

I would choose Fantasmic as a maybe. My kids didn't care for it so much, at that age. You may want to show him some videos of the dark rides because they can be overwhelming for little ones; even I find some of them too loud. Also, as the week goes on, it might be harder to have the "get up and go" for EE.

Okay~ 55 days until we go!!! I can now make reservations. Am I going at a time that I need to worry about them? My thought was to ride the POC and point out Blue Bayou and ask my son if he wants to eat there. Should I pay for the dinner and reserved seating for WOC? Still contemplating the dessert seating for Fantasmic. My thoughts are this is a once in a lifetime trip~ definitely not a yearly adventure!! I have a five day hopper and plan to buy another 3 day Military hopper to cover the other 2 days. I can't see arriving on Monday and not going into the park. even if it's just to wander.

Happy boy and Mama~

Just to be clear... there is NO seats for World of Color. It is all standing. There are no guarantees that your paid meal that comes with a fast pass will get you a better view than a free from the machine fastpass. The only difference is the area you line up and are let into. Have you read the WoC sticky thread? There is some excellent advice in there, towards the end is good current information.
    Dessert seating for 2, I would love to try it.

yes, I know there aren't actual seats~ I've delved into the WOC stickey~ I'm thinking we will give the FP free seating a try and if Jack loves it we can always do a second one and worry about getting closer. That's one of the great things about going so long!

Happy boy and Mama~

One of the other moms here has mentioned they let you take your stroller into the area and she lets her daughter stand in it to get her up higher. Just locks all the breaks and keeps a hand on it for safety.
    Fantasmic, we usually grab a seat at 7 for the 9 PM show. Right down by the water. Our youngest fell asleep between the time we sat and the show started the first time we watched it, she was about your son's age. I just woke her up for the show and she loved it. We pack a light weight blanket that I don't mind having on the ground. Anymore, I sit and DH goes and grabs dinner and brings it back. It is a great spot to both visit with others, people watch, and I bring glow bracelets from the dollar bin (Target, Dollar Tree, Micheal's even has them). The kids break them out and make friends with kids around them, they do this waiting for WoC as well. I have seen people playing card games while waiting, or angry birds, even a small bottle of bubbles (DL sells a really cute bubble gun that you can refill with less expensive bubbles ). You could even pack snacks if you go this route. If you are in the front of a seated area by the water, you either have to collapse or park your stroller. If you are up against the back rope you can leave it up and he could sit in it if he wanted. Even people in a wheelchair have to follow this rule, or move to a handicap area, so there is no worry about a blocked view.