Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: End of Year Band Trip 2014

End of Year Band Trip 2014

It has been a while since I have posted here, but I know that if anyone can help me with setting this up, you all would be the people that could do it. I told our band director two years ago that I would set up the end of year band trip (2014) so I am working on this now.

What I am asking your help with is a beach to take everyone too. Mostly I think they are not going to want to be in the water much as the water is a lot colder than in the Gulf of Mexico, but what do I know? The kids surprise me all the time. And the second is, what would be a good hotel that is kind of in between Disneyland and Universal Studios?

Here is the plan for when we arrive in California.

Breakfast 8:00 AM Monday
    Arrive at Beach 10:00 AM
    Depart Beach 3:00 PM
    Arrive at hotel 3:30 PM
    Depart for Pirate Dinner Theater 5:30 PM
    Pirate Dinner Theater 7:00 - 9:30 PM
    RTN to hotel (Pool closed at 10:00) 10:00 PM
    Lights out 11:00 PM
    Day 3
    Breakfast at hotel 7:00-8:30 AM Tuesday
    Depart for Knott's Berry Farm 9:30 AM
    Knott's Berry Farm 10:00 AM
    Depart Knott's Berry Farm 10:00 PM
    RTN to hotel (Pool closed at 10:00) 10:30 PM
    Day 4
    Breakfast at hotel 7:00-8:30 AM Wednesday
    Depart for Disneyland 8:45 AM
    Disneyland/California Adventure 9:00 AM
    Depart Disneyland 11:00 PM
    RTN to hotel (Pool closed at 10:00) 9:00 PM
    Day 5
    Breakfast at hotel 7:00-8:30 AM Thursday
    Depart for Universal Studios 8:45 AM
    Universal Studios 9:00 AM
    Depart Universal Studios 7:30 PM
    RTN to hotel (Pool closed at 10:00) 9:00 PM
    Day 6
    Breakfast at hotel 7:00-8:30 AM Friday
    Depart for Disneyland 8:45 AM
    Disneyland/California Adventure 9:00 AM
    Depart for Home 12:00 AM
    Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

2. # ADS

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

First off, its never too soon to start planning. I can't help with the beach info but I have a couple of questions.
    How many in the band are going, how many chaperones etc?
    Where is the Diiner Pirate Theater in relation to DLand?
    It doesn't make much sense to uproot for one night to go to USH for the day, then come back to DLR on your last day.
    If memory serves, it would take about an hour from DLR to USH. (and the later you leave during rush hour, all the better)
    (I see you alllowed only 15 minutes for the trip from the hotel to USH, that will need to be adjusted)
    The parking lots at USH are alot different then at DLR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oregontraveler View Post
    First off, its never too soon to start planning. I can't help with the beach info but I have a couple of questions.
    How many in the band are going, how many chaperones etc?
    Where is the Diiner Pirate Theater in relation to DLand?
    It doesn't make much sense to uproot for one night to go to USH for the day, then come back to DLR on your last day.
    If memory serves, it would take about an hour from DLR to USH. (and the later you leave during rush hour, all the better)
    (I see you alllowed only 15 minutes for the trip from the hotel to USH, that will need to be adjusted)
    The parking lots at USH are alot different then at DLR as well.

I am not sure the number of students/chaperons yet. I am planning for 110 (basically 2 buses that hold 55 people). I am pretty sure there will not be more, but there is probably going to be less.

All of this itinerary is proposed and nothing set in concrete right now. I am just trying to come up with something to show the directors, the school board as well as anyone in the band that is interested.

The Pirate Dinner Theater is at: 7600 Beach Boulevard, Buena Park, CA 90620

As far as "where" we stay doesn't really matter. I can adjust the leaving the hotel times and getting to wherever times. Again, this is just a start to help the directors to get this under way and less for them to have to worry about.

Thanks for your assistance though.
    Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

The Pirate Dinner Theatre is pretty much across the street from Knott's. I would either use the Knott's hotel for both of those nights or look for a group rate for all nights at DL. It takes us 10 to 15 minutes from DL hotel area to Knott's. It is way faster to take Katella to Beach make a right and go up Beach than dealing with the freeways which might or might not have trafic.
    USH is 42 miles from DL. It can take as little as 45 minutes or up to about an hour and a half in the mornings. It very likely would be easier to just stay in the DL area.
    Our school uses the Ramada Maingate that is right by Tony Roma's. They give us a group rate and can even put the buses in their parking lot. They have a breakfast included, I didn't look this time but last time pasteries, hard boiled eggs etc. (To go from this one to Knott's I would take Harbor to Ball and Ball to Beach.) They have a pizza place onsite that makes us pizzas for dinner and provides drinks and we have a pizza party in the pool area.
    I would call hotels directly and ask about group rates with your tentative dates (OF course I have a nephew who would be that group and if you mess with aunties DL trip ) and see what they can do for you.
    We have had a few threads since I joined in 2008 about travelling with groups, you might search, there was a really good one that dealt with security ideas for night time.

Thanks! I will contact Ramada Maingate to see what they say. I prefer staying closer to DL, but that is because I am such a Disney nut. I did see some previous threads, but it has been a while since I read them. I will go back to read them just to see how other's have handled things.

Shelley

Wink DLR Trip Advice

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrosedtxn View Post
    It has been a while since I have posted here, but I know that if anyone can help me with setting this up, you all would be the people that could do it. I told our band director two years ago that I would set up the end of year band trip (2014) so I am working on this now.

What I am asking your help with is a beach to take everyone too. Mostly I think they are not going to want to be in the water much as the water is a lot colder than in the Gulf of Mexico, but what do I know? The kids surprise me all the time. And the second is, what would be a good hotel that is kind of in between Disneyland and Universal Studios?

Here is the plan for when we arrive in California.
    Hi YRT,

In addition to being a long time MousePlanet member, I also do a give a lot of travel advice on Yahoo Answers and Tripadvisor.

Let's look at the beach issue first. The closest beach, as the pixie flies, is Huntington Beach, aka Surf City USA. There are great waves there, and a nice pier, as well as lots of shops. HOWEVER, HB is not exactly freeway close. The closest beach, in terms of getting there quickly, is Newport Beach. There are great waves there, as well. My favorite spot is south of the Newport Pier. However, if traveling with busloads of kids, the parking at HB is much more bus-friendly than Newport. You can either take Beach Blvd south to HB, or take the 5 south to the 55 south until it ends at Newport Blvd. Take Newport Blvd to PCH, then follow the signs to get to PCH north. Any parking south of the HB pier should be good. Check with Huntington City Beach or State Beach to confirm the price for bus parking.

You don't mention when you are coming, but if it's in June, we often get fog (June Gloom) that time of year. You're right, some kids may not want to swim, but others may see the waves and ignore the colder ocean temps. What can I say? We get our ocean currents from Alaska, not Mexico. But that's a good thing, because it keeps the humidity down and the temperatures mild.

Going from Disneyland to Knott's should be no problem, since the distance is only 6 miles. I would highly recommend the Howard Johnson, aka the HoJo Anaheim. They are the official hotel of MousePlanet, the sponsor of this forum. They always give the MP folks great deals when we get together. If you check out Google Maps, you'll see it's closer than the Ramada to the front entrance, and they have a really fun pool area.

The biggest issue, in my mind, is getting to Universal. It's 36 miles via the most direct route, but that route is used by commuters going from Orange County into Los Angeles. That can take anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours, and I've personally driven it in both those conditions. Your timetable of 15 minutes is about as unrealistic as saying that you can cross Texas in 3 hours.

You could either adjust your timing, or possibly stay one night at a hotel close to Universal. If you go to Universal Day 6, you can leave Disneyland early in the evening of Day 5, then arrive at the hotel (say, the Universal Sheraton) at night. There is plenty to do at Universal, such as Universal CityWalk for shopping and eating. If you stay close by, you can easily walk to both. Then, at the end of day 6, you just hop on the bus and hit the road. If that's not possible, then just stick to your original plan and allow plenty of time to get to and from Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by StevePCGuy View Post
    but if If you check out Google Maps, you'll see it's closer than the Ramada to the front entrance, and they have a really fun pool area.

While I would never dispute that Hojo's is an excellent choice for a hotel. 1/10th of a mile difference is negligible. When dealing with a bus or two full of children, meals have to be considered. Ramada includes breakfast, Hojo's would mean time for everyone to stand in line at McDonald's.
    Oh, YRT, you need to check with your school for policy, ours doesn't allow the kids to use the pool because we would have to hire a certified life guard and that is too much of a hassle. Our first year, the school hired a security guard through the hotel to watch the kids' doors. We didn't have one this time.

Figuring out the mom thing
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Oh, YRT, you need to check with your school for policy, ours doesn't allow the kids to use the pool because we would have to hire a certified life guard and that is too much of a hassle.
    I was going to mention this as well because some districts won't allow kids to swim in the ocean.

Thanks for the feedback. Our dates are going to be Jun 1 - 6th or 7th. Our first day in California would be the 2nd.

Nothing in this "agenda" is set in stone yet. And I have a feeling that we will be doing 6 days verses 7. With that said, personally I would like Disneyland to be our "last day" adventure, but because these are high school students I feel they would enjoy going to Universal on the last day for the rollercoasters and thrill rides. So, I kind of like the idea of doing Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland and closing out the trip with Universal Studios Hollywood on the last day. If we did that agenda, then we can stay at a hotel a lot closer to Universal and leave to head home that night.

When I first thought about the time it was going to take to get to Universal, I figured we would stay at a hotel somewhere between Universal and Disneyland. So, that is where the 15 minutes came from. Again, these times are just to give the schoolboard to review more than anything.

As far as the beach goes, I will definitely ask the school board their feelings and if they feel that we shouldn't do the beach, we will look to do something else. I am sure the girls would love to find a mall or outlet stores to shop or we can find SOMETHING else to do. I think Huntington Beach would be a good choice to allow the kids a place to hang out for a while with the possibility of shopping tied into it.

Thanks everyone! I am sure I will be back for more advice!

Last edited by yellowrosedtxn; 09-05-2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: To add information.
    Shelley

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    While I would never dispute that Hojo's is an excellent choice for a hotel. 1/10th of a mile difference is negligible. When dealing with a bus or two full of children, meals have to be considered. Ramada includes breakfast, Hojo's would mean time for everyone to stand in line at McDonald's.
    Oh, YRT, you need to check with your school for policy, ours doesn't allow the kids to use the pool because we would have to hire a certified life guard and that is too much of a hassle. Our first year, the school hired a security guard through the hotel to watch the kids' doors. We didn't have one this time.
    An additional Hotel suggestion would be the Park Vue Inn. Just south of Hojo's. If you are looking for the most convenient hotel to access Disneyland. The crosswalk to DLR is literally at their entrance. I've stayed several times there as well as other hotels in the area though not Hojo's. Frankly not even the Disney owned hotels are closer. Continental breakfast is served, they have a number of different room variants, pool and spa.

Isn't parking an issue at Park Vue? It is always worth checking the other hotels, like I said call the hotel directly, ask for group sales, but make sure to ask about bus parking, especially since you have 2. Also, look at tour bus companies. Our school rents a bus. Much more comfortable than the school bus and added up costs isn't that much higher than taking the school bus.