Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2013 Disneyland Half Marathon

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2013 Disneyland Half Marathon

Team MousePlanet will again host a cheer station between miles 6 & 7 of the half-marathon course. We'll hand out oranges, pretzels, licorice and cool cloths or sponges (all while supplies last) to runners and walkers, plus dole out unlimited amounts of support and motivation.

This will be our third event, and I can honestly say, as both the beneficiary of an ice sponge during the 2012 Disneyland half marathon, and as the captain of our cheer station at the 2013 Tinker Bell half marathon, silly signs and an orange wedge can make all the difference.

To make all this happen, we need volunteers to come help out the morning of the race. Teresa and Ken have volunteered to captain this year's station, and my husband Tony will be out there, but they will need help.

Our location is about midway through the race course, in front of Ganahl Lumber on Ball. If past years hold true, and accounting for the earlier start of this race, we expect eastbound lanes of Ball to be closed by 4:30a.m. There is a business park / strip mall across Ball from Ganahl Lumber, which is accessible from the westbound lanes of Ball, or by coming in from the north on East street. Last year they roped off this parking lot around 5:00a.m., so you really should plan to arrive by then, or face a much longer walk. We'll see the wheelchair athletes and first runners shortly after 6 a.m.

We stay in place until the sweep has passed our location, which is usually around 8 a.m., so that we can cheer on every last runner, walker and (by that point) limper and crawler. Just know that if you have someone finishing before 9 a.m., you probably won't be able to make it back to the finish line to see them cross - traffic from our location to the Resort isn't great on race morning.

We'll provide everything for the runners, all you need to bring is yourself, a great attitude, and whatever supplies you want - a chair, sunblock, snacks and drinks. Noise makers of any type are a great ides - you will be sore from clapping and hoarse from yelling very quickly!

If you would like to volunteer for our cheer station, please let us know by replying to this thread - we hope to see you there!

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Headless Chicken

It's going to be a blast! We get to make lots of noise. It's like a sideline party!

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    This will be our third event, and I can honestly say, as both the beneficiary of an ice sponge during the 2012 Disneyland half marathon, and as the captain of our cheer station at the 2013 Tinker Bell half marathon, silly signs and an orange wedge can make all the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    It's going to be a blast! We get to make lots of noise. It's like a sideline party!
    There will be a fabulous bribe in it for you if you still have a couple of orange wedges and a sponge when I come through. I'm just saying... (And some red vines for me & Doc, too, please.)

I staffed this location last year and it's THE BOMB. It's exactly halfway through the course. What a fun place to be!! This year I'm participating so I will miss out on cheering but I'm SO looking forward to it!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR whoever comes out to cheer!!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    There will be a fabulous bribe in it for you if you still have a couple of orange wedges and a sponge when I come through. I'm just saying... (And some red vines for me & Doc, too, please.)
    Only if you prancercise up to the station!

I am so ridiculously excited for this cheer station. Oranges and licorice? That sounds AWESOME! And, it adds a nice intermediate goal (1: get through the parks, 2: get to the cheer station, 3: get to Angels Stadium, 4: suck it up and finish!) Thank you in advance to all of you who will be cheering.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by *Nala* View Post
    I am so ridiculously excited for this cheer station. Oranges and licorice? That sounds AWESOME! And, it adds a nice intermediate goal (1: get through the parks, 2: get to the cheer station, 3: get to Angels Stadium, 4: suck it up and finish!) Thank you in advance to all of you who will be cheering.
    Does that sound familiar, Jodi?

(She was waiting to take a break and stretch until she got to us last year)
    Cathy

Yep! The MP station was right where I needed it to be!

To anyone considering volunteering: you won't regret it! I was at the MP station for Tink, and it was a lot of fun. I loved seeing the padders I recognized, but I also liked just seeing all the strangers who got a laugh from the signs or looked like they needed the pick-me-up.

To anyone who IS volunteering: if I would give you something at the meetup on Friday, (such as DH's favorite Gatorade) would you bring it at the station? I would greatly appreciate it if it's not too much trouble!

Headless Chicken

I will happily take any personal packages/bottles at Friday's meet. Please put the runner's name and bib# on them so I'll know to whom they belong.

Headless Chicken

I have over 100 pounds of farm fresh oranges that will be wedged for the station.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    ]if I would give you something at the meetup on Friday, (such as DH's favorite Gatorade) would you bring it at the station?
    Of course! I am holding the line at Starbucks orders this time - we're not within walking
    distance of one like we were at the Tink station. ;o)

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
    I have over 100 pounds of farm fresh oranges that will be wedged for the station.
    That is awesome - thank you so much!
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Is there a deadline by which we need to let y'all know if we're planning to volunteer at the cheer station?

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Is there a deadline by which we need to let y'all know if we're planning to volunteer at the cheer station?
    No, you can show up and they'll be pleasantly surprised. Heck, I don't even know if I'm running walking or cheering...

AVP

Thanks to the volunteers that will be here who will be providing all types of support. Smiles, hi-fives, words of encouragement, they are allllllll very appreciated! When I saw the MP station at Tink, it was just the perfect pick me up to see familiar faces somewhere along the route!

So, thanks volunteers, for being there and having awesome/hilarious signs of encouragement!

- Spring MouseAdventures: Decades advanced: our goal? to finish. mission accomplished!
    - december 09 reindeer games: 26th place, & drenched all the way through!
    - spring 09 mouse adventure (train, trams, and monorails): advanced division, with a newbie! the dominoes and the jigsaw puzzle nearly killed us!
    - fall 08 mouse adventures: third place in the 101 division!

Headless Chicken

Quick question - since we're hauling a TON of stuff, are we able to park at Ganahl prior to 4:30? We plan on getting over there around 4'ish to start set-up.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Last year, I think we got there at about 5:15 (I HAD to stop for a purple straw first. Priorities.)

At that point, it was impossible to park at Ganahl. Do you have a wagon of any kind? I used a collapsible wagon we have to get our stuff across the street. I only had to get across two lanes of Ball because the race side was already closed.

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Headless Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Last year, I think we got there at about 5:15 (I HAD to stop for a purple straw first. Priorities.)

At that point, it was impossible to park at Ganahl. Do you have a wagon of any kind? I used a collapsible wagon we have to get our stuff across the street. I only had to get across two lanes of Ball because the race side was already closed.
    Wagon won't cut it. I'm hauling a 10-foot canopy, two tables, two chairs, and over 100 pounds of oranges. That's why I'm pushing to get there at 4am... hoping the road won't be closed yet and Ganahl won't mind us parking there.

Blog Entries

And at 5:15, we did have to cheer the first wheelchair racer from the 'wrong' side of the race course. I'm THINKING 4 should be early enough, even Ball is closed to travel on that side, to just cross over from the other lanes into Ganahl's lot?

(This is all based on one time being there, and not being the driver.)

Cathy

Does this help?:

Temporary road closures will occur throughout the weekend. During the actual races, Disney characters and entertainment will be scheduled along the 10K and Half Marathon (13.1 mile) race routes, which begin and end on the property of Walt Disney’s original theme park. Please note the following road closure schedule.* Commuters are encouraged to plan accordingly.
    Saturday, Aug. 31 – Disneyland 10K:

• Disneyland Dr.(12:01-7:30 a.m.) – Between Ball Rd. and Magic Way
    • Magic Way(12:01-10:15 a.m.) -Between Disneyland Hotel Pl. and Disneyland Dr.
    • Disneyland Dr.(5-7:30 a.m.) – Between Magic Way and Katella Ave.
    • Katella Avenue(5-7:30 a.m.) – Between Disneyland Dr. and Harbor Blvd.
    • Disneyland Dr.(5-7:15 a.m.) – Between Katella Ave. and Convention Way
    • Harbor Blvd.(5-7:30 a.m.) – Southbound from Katella Ave. to Convention Way

Sunday, Sept. 1- Disneyland Half Marathon:

• Disneyland Dr.(12:01-8 a.m.) – Between Ball Rd. and the Grand Californian Hotel
    • Magic Way(12:01-10:15 a.m.) -Between Disneyland Hotel Pl. and Disneyland Dr.
    • Disneyland Dr.(5-10:15 a.m.) – Between the Grand Californian Hotel and Katella Ave.
    • Katella Ave.(5-7:00 a.m.) – Westbound from Disneyland Dr. to Harbor Blvd.
    • Harbor Blvd.(5-7:30 a.m.) – Southbound from Katella Ave. to Disney Way
    • Ball Rd.(5:15-8 a.m.) – Eastbound from Disneyland Drive to Anaheim Blvd.
    • Anaheim Blvd.(5:15-8:15 a.m.) – Between Ball Road and Cerritos Ave.
    • Cerritos Ave.(5:15-8:15 a.m.) – Between Anaheim Blvd. and Lewis St.
    • Lewis St.(5:15-8:15 a.m.) – Between Ball Road and Cerritos Ave.
    • Ball Rd.(5:15-8:30 a.m.) – Between Lewis St. and State College Blvd. (Reroute via St. College, Vermont, East Street)
    • State College Blvd.(5:15-8:30 a.m.) – Between Ball Road and Cerritos Ave.
    • Cerritos Ave.(5:15-8:40 a.m.) – Between State College Blvd. and Douglass Road
    • Douglass Rd.(5:15-8:45 a.m.) – Between Cerritos Ave. and Katella Ave.
    • Gene Autry Way(5:15-9:30 a.m.) –From Angel Stadium to Santa Cruz St.
    • Santa Cruz St. and Stanford Ct.(5:30-9:30 a.m.) – Between Gene Autry Drive and Anaheim Way
    • S. Anaheim Way(5:15-9:40 a.m.) – Between Orangewood Ave. and Katella Ave.
    • S. Anaheim Way(5:15-10:00 a.m.) – Between Katella Ave. and Disney Way
    • Disney Way(5:15-10 a.m.) – Westbound from Anaheim Blvd. to Harbor Blvd.

Please note all times are Pacific Daylight Time.
    Last edited by currence; 08-30-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: update link to more official source

Blog Entries

Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2013 Disneyland Half Marathon

I'd still push for 4am, Disneyphile.

Cathy

Force is strong in this one

I'll stop by as I'm running to say hi. I"m sure I've met most of you before but since I don't see y'all on a regular basis, I"ll probably forget some names. Thanks for supporting us!

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Now that have confirmed I'm not working tomorrow, I might come down again. As we learned at Tink, I have nothing to offer except my carnival barker yells. At least I get to repeat my jokes every 20 seconds to a new audience

Well I took a horribly wrong turn and am now in the Mickey & Friends line hoping to exit. The fact that I'm typing this tells you how fast that's going. I should probably park here and walk, but I really don't want to pay $16.

Force is strong in this one

THanks to everyone who came out and cheered us on. The signs were hilarious, and the goodies you gave out were at a needed point in the race

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

THANK YOU! The cheer station was wonderful and the sponge was really needed.