Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: New Road ID app is a great safety tool

New Road ID app is a great safety tool

The folks of Road ID have come up with a new iPhone app to help runners and bikers stay safe and give their loved ones peace of mind. The app lets you set a lock screen with emergency contact information so that if you are in difficulty, someone can reach the right people. There is also a way to send a short message to your contacts to let them know where you are headed and what you are doing, then they can track you along the way. In addition, there is a stationary alert that you can set with an audible alarm, as well as an automatic notification to your designated contact. Once the app senses you have been stationary for more than 5 minutes, it pops up a notification. If the notification is not deactivated, the alert is sent to your contacts.

Here's a review with some sample screenshots. The app is iPhone only right now.

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing that I really like about this one is that the emergency contact doesn't have to have the app or even a smart phone - just the ability to receive texts.

Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone but for those that do what a wonderful tracker.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    There is also a way to send a short message to your contacts to let them know where you are headed and what you are doing, then they can track you along the way. In addition, there is a stationary alert that you can set with an audible alarm, as well as an automatic notification to your designated contact. Once the app senses you have been stationary for more than 5 minutes, it pops up a notification. If the notification is not deactivated, the alert is sent to your contacts.
    I really like this. Not just for me but for Doc. I don't usually go out alone as often as he does. But even with someone else, you never know. I know a couple who was out together who BOTH were hit by a car.

And knowing that your contacts don't have to have the app or a smart phone is fabulous, too.

Thanks for this tip, Steph!
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

The app has a feature that helps you create a lock screen that gives your name, your city/state, and up to three emergency contacts' names and phone numbers.

I did this, and it turns out all it does is create an image that saves into your iPhone camera roll; you just specify that as your lock screen.

What this means is that you can make lock screens for other people. Just get their emergency contact into your own contacts list since you will need to be able to select them from your iPhone's addressbook. But once you save the image, you can email it to the person who doesn't have an iPhone!

MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I downloaded this on Saturday AFTER my long run. I can't wait to try it out. I had just started using Glimpse, but I think this is much better.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Force is strong in this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    The app has a feature that helps you create a lock screen that gives your name, your city/state, and up to three emergency contacts' names and phone numbers.

I did this, and it turns out all it does is create an image that saves into your iPhone camera roll; you just specify that as your lock screen.

What this means is that you can make lock screens for other people. Just get their emergency contact into your own contacts list since you will need to be able to select them from your iPhone's addressbook. But once you save the image, you can email it to the person who doesn't have an iPhone!
    This. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but you can just create it yourself on a computer or on paper, take a picture and set it as a lock screen.

Well, I guess it's also a free app, so I'll just d/l it.
    Last edited by timl33; 09-01-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: free app!
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    This. Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but you can just create it yourself on a computer or on paper, take a picture and set it as a lock screen.

Well, I guess it's also a free app, so I'll just d/l it.
    True, the lock screen feature can be duplicated. However, the eCrumb feature is really nice for peace of mind. I've used it a few times when I've gone out on long runs by myself. You never know when something random could happen.