Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disney Cruise Line bans smoking on guest verandas

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Disney Cruise Line bans smoking on guest verandas

Mary Kraemer, Vacation Travel Consultant with MousePlanet travel partner CruisingCo.com and MouseEarVacations, just shared news about a change to Disney Cruise Line's smoking policy:

From time to time, we make adjustments to our operation based on Guest feedback and are making a change to our smoking policy. While Guests have never been permitted to smoke in their staterooms, effective November 15, 2013, Guests will no longer be permitted to smoke on stateroom verandahs. Each ship will continue to offer open-air public spaces designated as smoking areas. Information on designated smoking areas can be found on our website at https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...safety/smoking.
    The website mentioned has complete info on where smoking is allowed on the ships:

Q: Where can I smoke on board?

A: Disney Cruise Line has never allowed smoking in Guest staterooms. In addition, smoking is prohibited in all interior spaces throughout our ships and beginning November 15, 2013, smoking will be prohibited on stateroom verandahs. In an effort to provide a cruise experience that satisfies both our non-smoking and smoking Guests, smoking (including the use of electronic cigarettes) is only permitted in designated areas of the ship.

On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, smoking is permitted on:

• Outdoors on Deck 4 starboard side from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. only
    • The starboard side open-air decks 9 and 10 (excluding the Mickey Pool area).

On the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, smoking is permitted on:

• Deck 4 port side, aft, the outside Promenade Deck from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
    • Deck 12 port side, aft, the outdoor area that is accessible through the Meridian Lounge
    • Deck 13 port side, forward, by Currents Bar

Guests who are found smoking in their staterooms or on their verandahs will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee. This fee covers deep cleaning that includes air filter replacement, carpet extraction and the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.

We have carefully considered which areas of our ships to designate as smoking and non-smoking, and we do periodically review our policies to ensure continued Guest satisfaction.

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Hm, I would have thought that was already the policy. It was on Celebrity. I really like the inclussion of the electronic cigarettes in there.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I am personally very happy about this change. Cigarette smoke triggers my allergies and asthma, and I really can't be around it for any length of time. It infuriates me to have spent the extra money for a verandah, only to learn that the person next to me is a chimney and I don't get the enjoyment of my balcony as a result.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

I have the same issues with smokers. Allergies and asthma triggers. I guess I am so used to living in California, that I was surprised it wasn't already the policy.

Great news! This ban occurs just before my cruise. However I am in an Ocean view state room. I will pass this along to my fellow cruisers in my FB group! Thanks for the heads up, Mary! I am the same as the both of you-triggers gagging and allergies!

Siggy aka Jill

Just remember what side the smoking is allowed and make sure that you walk on the opposite side of the ship when you are in an area that allows smoking. When we did our Alaska cruise (on a non-disney ship) we only remembered the correct side about 80% of the time and periodically found ourselves walking faster than intended to get past a smoker.

We were fortunate that there was no smoking on our ship but we got a good reminder of wind and unintended consequences when my sister broke out some bubbles for the kids to play with on their veranda. The bubbles flew up and onto the veranda about 2 rooms up and over from where the bubbles were being blown. Fortunately, the only people (that we are aware of) who were out on their balcony at the time were really good sports about it. I can only assume their reaction would have been different if it had been smoke instead of bubbles that were landing in their space.

This is great news! Now if only Disney would do this kind of thing for the parks. I hate having to dodge people's cigarettes in DtD or walking through the parks. It is no fun at all spending a day in the parks with allergies, asthma, migraines, and more. It would be nice, too, if by 2015 the convention center did something about people smoking right in front of the doors so we don't have to exit right into groups of smokers.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    I am personally very happy about this change. Cigarette smoke triggers my allergies and asthma, and I really can't be around it for any length of time. It infuriates me to have spent the extra money for a verandah, only to learn that the person next to me is a chimney and I don't get the enjoyment of my balcony as a result.
    ^^^ This, plain and simple.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

WHOO HOO!! That is all.

Jen
    Whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.

I couldn't be happier with this news! It's one reason I don't book verandahs. I have a child that has smoke allergies and this is a huge issue. I also get very ill from cigar smoke. I know lots of typical non smokers who enjoy going out on the verandahs and enjoying a good cigar. Since it was allowed I avoided the whole thing by not booking a verandah.

In fairness to the other side of the coin I do have one extended family member who is so annoyed by this that she is canceling their 7night this coming spring. I understand her being annoyed since she booked the verandah, over a year ago, thinking she could smoke out there. Personally, I think it's lame to cancel the whole cruise over this. I don't understand why she can't just deal with it by going out to the smoking area. After all it's what she has to do in most hotels now a days anyway. Then again I'm not a smoker.

Mily

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Wonderful news, but unfortunately after our cruise. Here's hoping that we don't have a smoker upwind of us.

I was very happy when I received this email from DCL. When we cruised B2B on the Dream with my Mom, she was unable to use the verandah at all on the second leg due to smokers next door (she has asthma). It was really a huge difference from the first leg where we did not have smokers near us.

So this makes me very happy for our Alaska cruise next year, knowing that she will be able to use the verandah to take in the scenery!!

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~