Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Star Wars Celebration?

Star Wars Celebration?

Just came across this on Twitter...
    http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

August 16-19, 2015, at Anaheim Convention Center, but tickets go on sale on this August 7. Anyone know anything about this event? Seems like two years in advance is really early to sell tickets for a con-type event, no? I'm trying to find out more about this, but please weigh in if you've attended a past event or know more...

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its been around for a while (since 1999) and the last two were in orlando. According to Orlando Sentinel its coming to anaheim to coincide with release of SW Episode VII. Much more Lucasfilm Star Wars Specific than Disney related (the usual SW Weekends).

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Celebration

Orlando Sentinel story (CLICK HERE)

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Thanks, Oleg!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortpix77 View Post
    Just came across this on Twitter...
    http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

August 16-19, 2015, at Anaheim Convention Center, but tickets go on sale on this August 7. Anyone know anything about this event? Seems like two years in advance is really early to sell tickets for a con-type event, no? I'm trying to find out more about this, but please weigh in if you've attended a past event or know more...
    FYI, it's not a con-type event - it's a con. It's the official Star Wars convention. This will be #7, if you don't count the international ones. #1 through #3 were in Indianapolis, #4 was in L.A. and #5 and #6 were in Orlando - #6 was held last August. They just finished Star Wars Celebration Europe on Sunday, which is when they announced that the next Celebration would be in Anaheim. (There was also previously a Star Wars Celebration Europe in London some years ago.) When I first heard that Disney had purchased Lucasfilm and therefore the Star Wars franchise, I was hoping they'd move Celebration back to SoCal in general and more specifically, Anaheim, since it made sense. Our first Celebration was #4 in L.A., and we've also been to both Celebration events in Orlando, which were both held in August, so the weather wasn't so much fun outside of the convention, but it did give us a good excuse to visit WDW before the conventions. Celebration is fun, and they have a ton of celebrities attending. When we went to #5, we were able to get in to see both George Lucas and Mark Hamill, in addition to other panels, and we also attended the party at Disney Hollywood Studios for the closing and re-do of Star Tours. It was a ton of fun.

They usually start selling tickets about a year or so prior, but you're right that there's much more lead time this year. However, many people travel internationally to Celebration events, so the extra notice is probably helpful for travel plans and saving up money.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought #1 was in Denver, CO? not that it has a bearing on the coming event.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Star Wars Celebration?

So glad I saw this post, I'm gonna buy us tickets! My husband and I were discussing just recently trying a con. This sounds perfect!

The site says it's in April, though, if that makes a difference to anyone.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    I thought #1 was in Denver, CO? not that it has a bearing on the coming event.
    Oh, could be. I had thought they were all in Indianapolis, but I didn't attend any of the first three, and I don't think I started paying attention to them until #2 or #3.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    FYI, it's not a con-type event - it's a con. It's the official Star Wars convention. This will be #7, if you don't count the international ones. #1 through #3 were in Indianapolis, #4 was in L.A. and #5 and #6 were in Orlando - #6 was held last August. They just finished Star Wars Celebration Europe on Sunday, which is when they announced that the next Celebration would be in Anaheim. (There was also previously a Star Wars Celebration Europe in London some years ago.) When I first heard that Disney had purchased Lucasfilm and therefore the Star Wars franchise, I was hoping they'd move Celebration back to SoCal in general and more specifically, Anaheim, since it made sense. Our first Celebration was #4 in L.A., and we've also been to both Celebration events in Orlando, which were both held in August, so the weather wasn't so much fun outside of the convention, but it did give us a good excuse to visit WDW before the conventions. Celebration is fun, and they have a ton of celebrities attending. When we went to #5, we were able to get in to see both George Lucas and Mark Hamill, in addition to other panels, and we also attended the party at Disney Hollywood Studios for the closing and re-do of Star Tours. It was a ton of fun.

They usually start selling tickets about a year or so prior, but you're right that there's much more lead time this year. However, many people travel internationally to Celebration events, so the extra notice is probably helpful for travel plans and saving up money.
    Awesome, thanks cstephens! Do you remember what pricing was when you went?

I've done all except the two Orlando and the Europe ones. Loads of fun. Heard they are expecting to sell out this time. Usually tickets go on sale 6 months to a year out. Not sure why so far out this year. Looking forward to it

Blog Entries

We went to Celebration IV in LA. It was fun and VERY full of events, vendors, costuming, etc. My husband was in heaven! They released some Star Wars USPS stamps there that year. Being a stamp collector too, we went a bit nuts over that stuff. It was our son's first convention. We've done the Emerald City Comicon up here in Seattle too. Similar feel - but ALL Star Wars. Having it in Anaheim will be FUN! My hubby is already thinking we might have to save up for that one. I get Disney - he gets Star Wars. It's all good!

WDW June 1990-Buena Vista Palace, DL Aug 2001-Pasadena House, DL June 2006-Paradise Pier, DL June 2007-Paradise Pier, WDW Dec 2008-Royal Plaza, DL Nov 2011-Best Western Courtesy Inn, DL July 2012-Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn, DL May 2013-Holiday Inn on Walnut, PENDING DL Aug 2013 D23 Expo-Best Western Raffels

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    No, I'm sorry, I don't. I'm checking with the husband to see if he still has info for the tickets when we went last August.

Oh, and I found a very short write-up I did for Celebration #4 in L.A., in case you're interested.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    OK, the husband says that for Celebration that we went to last August in Orlando, we each had the 4-day ticket, which cost $150 per person. I know individual day tickets cost more per day than a multi-day ticket. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! Recruiting my fellow Comic Con-goers now :-)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Just saw that :-) I'm in! Anyone else planning to get tickets?

Star Wars Celebration?

Well, I bought us 2 four day tickets this afternoon! I have a question about accommodation. The convention is offering 180/nt at Doubletree and 199/nt at Hilton...and a few other similarly priced options. Is this event so massive that we should book now at the convention rate, or should I wait and try the open market later on? I've seen rooms at the Doubletree go as low as 79 bucks a night.

Also, we're not averse to being a bit (not a lot) more distant from the convention center, say HoJo distance.

Thanks for any advice. I'm excited! It's one more thing to really look forward to, to get us through this last year of Peace Corps service.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by libbylovespluto View Post
    Well, I bought us 2 four day tickets this afternoon! I have a question about accommodation. The convention is offering 180/nt at Doubletree and 199/nt at Hilton...and a few other similarly priced options. Is this event so massive that we should book now at the convention rate, or should I wait and try the open market later on? I've seen rooms at the Doubletree go as low as 79 bucks a night.
    We always book our hotel once we buy our tickets. Since all of the surrounding hotels probably know about the convention by now, I doubt there will be any specials to be had in the immediate vicinity. And yes, it's a pretty massive convention. The other thing to do is to look at the terms of the hotel reservations. Do you have to pay now? How late can you cancel without incurring a cancellation fee? If there's no cancellation fee for some time, it doesn't hurt to book now to lock something down while you see if anything else opens up later. Just be sure you're clear on when you'd have to cancel by without them charging you.

Star Wars Celebration?

Thanks for your reply. It appears that I have until 30 days prior before the guarantee is charged and until 72 hours prior to cancel without losing the night's deposit. I guess I'll book us the Doubletree tomorrow morning -- glad I actually have a card with me here in SA that expires after April 2015!

I noticed they also have the Anabella available but that hotel seems to get very mixed reviews. Does anyone feel it's the better choice? Thanks so much for the advice!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by libbylovespluto View Post
    I noticed they also have the Anabella available but that hotel seems to get very mixed reviews. Does anyone feel it's the better choice? Thanks so much for the advice!
    I stayed at the Anabella within the last year for another reason. I was not pleased. It's advertised as being close to the convention center, but it's a little misleading because while you are right next to the convention center, you're not next to any of the entrances, so there's still somewhat of a walk to get to the parts of the convention center where the events are held. But, because you are right next to it, you do get the noise from the people and the staff. I don't recommend it unless it's a lot less expensive and the trade-off on the savings is worth the hassles I've mentioned above.

It was announced around 2:00 Ca time that the official hotels have sold out. We had a feeling they would and booked our room at the Hilton when we got our tickets at 7:00 this morning

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkPearlCptn View Post
    It was announced around 2:00 Ca time that the official hotels have sold out. We had a feeling they would and booked our room at the Hilton when we got our tickets at 7:00 this morning
    Which "official hotels" are you referring to? The website shows that the Hilton and the Best Western Stovali are sold out, but all the other partner hotels are still available. I think the Hilton is usually considered the host hotel for conventions, but the nearby Marriott is still available, as well as others.

Interesting. Got the sold out info from many different friends in the Star Wars community that couldn't get hotels

Well, you snooze, you lose, I guess. This morning I looked at the Doubletree and it's unavailable one night in the middle of the trip and night at the end. The Anabella is open, but at this point, I think I am going to wait and try and book a room when hotels start releasing those dates next year. I really don't mind if we don't get an official hotel, and I'm pretty sure I could book the Doubletree at 11 or 12 months out when they open. Hotels don't normally commit 100% of their inventory to a group rate.

At least I know I am not alone. A friend of ours in the 501st found he couldn't book a convention rate room because he has no cards that expire after April 2015. 20 months is a long time from now, I'm sure something will work out.

...and I am back, to mention that I re-checked the site this afternoon and I think they must be releasing room blocks incrementally because the Doubletree and Hilton were both wide open again. This time around, I snagged 6 nights at the Doubletree.

PS OK, it's ten minutes since I first re-accessed the hotel list and now the Hilton is showing sold out again (but it appears it's only unavailable one night of the convention so far).