Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: When do they charge your CC your room balance at check in?

Blog Entries

When do they charge your CC your room balance at check in?

When I went last week I wanted to pay off my room balance when I checked in to the hotel. Unfortunately our flight was delayed and we didn't get to Pop until 3AM. When I checked in I asked to pay off my room balance with cash and the CM said I couldn't because they already charged my card.

I return in 4 weeks and the CM on the phone said to me if I don't want them to charge my card I can't do online check in. I have the same flight that I did last week so the earliest we will beat the hotel is 1am.

Is it true or untrue about the online check in? Do they do it at a certain time?

Kristin

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a situation where it kinda depends.
    If you have a package, you have to have it paid in full by a certian date. So you would not normally run into this situation.
    If you have a room only ressie, which it sounds like you did in this case, you have to pay at check in.

With that said, being that you arrived past midnight, I can see where your card was charged ahead of time. (Ive had this happen to me at times at other hotels.) However, they should have been able to reverse the charge when you handed them cash. Or so I would think.

For OLCI, you have to put a card down for incidentals. When you pick up your room key, they want to zero out your account. That means charging your card if using OLCI since the whole purpose of OLCI is to avoid having to really do anything or interact with anyone. You would either have to pay the balance before you arrive or bypass the OLCI experience.

But to be honest, I dont think OLCI saves a lot of time in the long run, so if you dont do it, I dont think you will miss much. Just pay your balance upon check in.

PS... This also brings up the idea of debit vs credit cards for checking in - OLCI or the "traditonal" way. People need to remember that Disney will put a hold on debit cards for certain amounts. (Value=$500, moderate=$1000, Deluxe/DVC=$1500.) That hold takes a while to get released. Better to use a credit card at check in and pay the balance in cash, debit card, or other means at the end of your trip.
    Just mentioning this since I know that some people would like to not use credit cards for their vacation expenses.

Hope that helps....

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure when you do OLCI you have to pay off the room only balance with the credit card. We REALLY co fused them one time when I'd paid the deposit (with my billing address) and my sister did OLCI and paid off the balance with her card (and billing address in a different state). We ended up having to go back to the front desk the second day to get it straightened out!

Cathy

Blog Entries

I asked if he could reverse the charge and he said he could but it would take around 2 weeks to reverse. At that point we were so exhausted I said never mind. I'm just trying to figure everything out for the next trip.

I always head down the night before I check out to pay off what I charged to the room. I also mentally keep track if I am going to hit my limit so I head down there before they charge it.

Kristin

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two weeks? That seems odd... considering when you take something back to a store or the like the refund is usually applied within 48 hrs.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Two weeks? That seems odd... considering when you take something back to a store or the like the refund is usually applied within 48 hrs.
    They say in general 5-10 business days but its usually within 2 days.

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Not Disney, but when in Nashville a few weeks ago, I accidentally gave them my debit card for incidentals instead of my credit card. They told me that the hold would stay on 5-10 days, so even if I gave them the credit card instead, they would still hold my debit card for several hundred--I think it was $150. Whoops!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!